Starship Horizons bridge sim

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Starship Horizons bridge sim

Post by Daehawk »

Another one

Starship Horizons is a multi-player experience allowing 2-6 players to work together as the ships Bridge Officers. The core gameplay experience is designed around players commanding their own Starship as the bridge officers in the roles of Captain, Flight, Tactical, Science, Operations, and Engineering.

As a team, players can venture into the galaxy in our vast Campaign setting, or play any number of Missions designed for a shorter experience.

Leo Laporte and gang from The New Screen Savers play a round.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rip

Re: Starship Horizons bridge sim

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Another one

Starship Horizons is a multi-player experience allowing 2-6 players to work together as the ships Bridge Officers. The core gameplay experience is designed around players commanding their own Starship as the bridge officers in the roles of Captain, Flight, Tactical, Science, Operations, and Engineering.

As a team, players can venture into the galaxy in our vast Campaign setting, or play any number of Missions designed for a shorter experience.

Leo Laporte and gang from The New Screen Savers play a round.
The game runs on a single Windows PC, running XP or higher. This serves as the 'Main Computer' for your ship, and handles the 'Main View Screen' as many science fiction shows have used. For players, they can connect to the PC running the game using any modern browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera, Firefox and even IE). This means you can use a laptop, a netbook, an iPad or Android tablet, an iPhone and more.
Sounds like a low end casuals game, I'll pass.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah, that seems like a low rent version of Artemis.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So I took a quick look at the video, and while that looked a little less impressive than Artemis (enemy ships appeared as red boxes?), I'd need to actually play the games to really tell (especially gameplay wise). Apparently, this is playable through the internet, which Artemis isn't (or at least, wasn't, when I played it), though Pulsar: Lost Colony can be.

And... the game is $60, whereas Artemis originally had that price for a license and is now down to $7 per player. I'll wait for the price for this drops as well.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Defiant wrote:So I took a quick look at the video, and while that looked a little less impressive than Artemis (enemy ships appeared as red boxes?), I'd need to actually play the games to really tell (especially gameplay wise). Apparently, this is playable through the internet, which Artemis isn't (or at least, wasn't, when I played it), though Pulsar: Lost Colony can be.

And... the game is $60, whereas Artemis originally had that price for a license and is now down to $7 per player. I'll wait for the price for this drops as well.
Artemis is definitely playable over the internet. I do so regularly with some friends in Tucson.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gbasden wrote:
Artemis is definitely playable over the internet. I do so regularly with some friends in Tucson.
Like I said, it's been a long time since I've played (this was before it became available on Steam). I think there was talks about the possibility of a workaround that might be make it be able to play it online, but even if it you put in the effort for that, it would have been somewhat awkward (requiring something like Skype and still not really being an experience designed for it - I think Pulsar is the only one that's really designed to be an internet as opposed to local party experience).
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Defiant wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Like I said, it's been a long time since I've played (this was before it became available on Steam). I think there was talks about the possibility of a workaround that might be make it be able to play it online, but even if it you put in the effort for that, it would have been somewhat awkward (requiring something like Skype and still not really being an experience designed for it - I think Pulsar is the only one that's really designed to be an internet as opposed to local party experience).
It's not as good as being in the same room, but it works out pretty well for us. We use Ventrilo for voice comms and it's perfectly playable. I've not seen Pulsar, though. Is it any good?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gbasden wrote:
Defiant wrote:
gbasden wrote:
It's not as good as being in the same room, but it works out pretty well for us. We use Ventrilo for voice comms and it's perfectly playable. I've not seen Pulsar, though. Is it any good?
I haven't checked it in over a year, and it was (and still is) in early access so it was no where near as polished as Artemis, but it was fun, had lots of potential, and added (simple but playable) away missions to the mix.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

They've apparently added VR to Pulsar. The neat thing going for it is that you have characters you control and have complete autonomy, able to go anywhere and on away missions. Have not played it but watched videos. Really feels like Star Trek.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti