Building games you can play while watching stuff

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

neofit

Building games you can play while watching stuff

Post by neofit »

Hi,

I've played a lot of Wurm Online/Unlimited. What I like about it is its rather laid back nature, you can build stuff, increase you ability counters, while most of the time the game doesn't even require much attention. So you can catch up with all the youtubes and shows you can't find the time to watch otherwise.

In SP there is Planet Explorers that plays like this as well, building while watching, but it has zero replay value. I've tried watching while playing other games like Arma3, the Deus Exes, WoW, TESO, but they are not about building and require more attention and have sound cues.

So, can anybody recomment anything similar to WO/WU or PE, where you explore, build, grow, and at the same time can catch up on your favourite youtube channels? :) There seem to be a bunch of similar games on Steam, but after years in Early Access I have zero confidence.
LordMortis

Re: Building games you can play while watching stuff

Post by LordMortis »

neofit wrote:Hi,

I've played a lot of Wurm Online/Unlimited. What I like about it is its rather laid back nature, you can build stuff, increase you ability counters, while most of the time the game doesn't even require much attention. So you can catch up with all the youtubes and shows you can't find the time to watch otherwise.

In SP there is Planet Explorers that plays like this as well, building while watching, but it has zero replay value. I've tried watching while playing other games like Arma3, the Deus Exes, WoW, TESO, but they are not about building and require more attention and have sound cues.

So, can anybody recomment anything similar to WO/WU or PE, where you explore, build, grow, and at the same time can catch up on your favourite youtube channels? :) There seem to be a bunch of similar games on Steam, but after years in Early Access I have zero confidence.
I have no answer but I would like to know because I would love to play a game while sitting on an exercise bike.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I play Hearthstone while sitting on an exercise bike. In fact it's the only way I'll let myself play.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Most anything turn based or easily pause-able I find works pretty well while watching TV.

On games similar to what you've played, have you checked out Empyrion on Steam? It's a first person, survival, builder, sandbox type game that's very fun and might check a lot of the boxes of what you're looking for.

You start crashlanded on a planet and can eventually build aircraft, bases, starships, explore different planets, etc.

Still early access and a little rough around the edges in some ways, but one of the better games of the genre I've played lately.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Rimworld works for me.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I actually used to do that with WoW. It didn't work for on-level content, but was great for grinding out rep, doing dailies, or working on achievements. Stuff that is so simple that it doesn't require too much focus.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote:I play Hearthstone while sitting on an exercise bike. In fact it's the only way I'll let myself play.
Intrigued
neofit

Post by neofit »

LordMortis wrote:
Lorini wrote:I play Hearthstone while sitting on an exercise bike. In fact it's the only way I'll let myself play.
Intrigued
My rule is not to watch any formula 1 nor comedy shows unless I am on a bike. It doesn't have a tablet holder anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions. Rimworld is a very nice game, but it does require way more attention than Wurm. Empyrion sounds nice, but it seems to be one of those perpetually in EA games. Just checked it again, "Released Aug 5th, 2015", "Alpha version so and so released" :). There are about a dozen of those on Steam, can't wait for them to be released.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Project Highrise. Not sure I have ever played a game with so much down time. Build a bunch, sit back and watch the money roll in until you want to build more.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote:Project Highrise. Not sure I have ever played a game with so much down time. Build a bunch, sit back and watch the money roll in until you want to build more.
That is what I was exercising to for a while but it just didn't have enough for me to be a long term game. It was explore it and set it down.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LordMortis wrote:
Intrigued
It's 'free to play' so give it a try. There have been instances of people making the semi-s of world championships without spending a dime, but realistically if you like the game and want a good experience you probably want to spend a little. I've spent over $200 but I've also put in at least 2000 hours playing the game so it's great value for me. People do call it a pay to win game but really even if you owned all the cards the top people play, you'd still not qualify for the championships as there's a lot of decision making/skill in the game. Naturally RNGeezus visits pretty frequently as well :).
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Intrigued
It's 'free to play' so give it a try. There have been instances of people making the semi-s of world championships without spending a dime, but realistically if you like the game and want a good experience you probably want to spend a little. I've spent over $200 but I've also put in at least 2000 hours playing the game so it's great value for me. People do call it a pay to win game but really even if you owned all the cards the top people play, you'd still not qualify for the championships as there's a lot of decision making/skill in the game. Naturally RNGeezus visits pretty frequently as well :).

I might. Way back when, I was turned off by the fact that I had two battle.net IDs already and neither worked and then I heard of all of battle.net hacking and I didn't want to get an authenticator but if the game serves a higher purpose of keeping my brain occupied while I mindless pedal on a bike so my heart doesn't decide to stop working while I'm still in my 40s, then that's for a higher cause, right?

I don't mind pay to enjoy games. I spent probably $150 on Marvel Puzzle Quest and I mind the fact that it had an "I must check in in and play five or six round every day!" effect more than the $150 I spent on "opening slots" to obsessively gain more variety in play. That $150 was for over two years of playing every single day.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Get the authenticator app on your phone, you don't need a separate device anymore. You get a quest every day and if you don't do them then you just lose them and I hate losing things! So I always make sure to do my quests on my bike :).

Also of course if you have questions about the game, leave a message in the Hearthstone thread, we'll be happy to help you out.
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

neofit wrote:...Thanks for the suggestions. Rimworld is a very nice game, but it does require way more attention than Wurm. Empyrion sounds nice, but it seems to be one of those perpetually in EA games. Just checked it again, "Released Aug 5th, 2015", "Alpha version so and so released" :). There are about a dozen of those on Steam, can't wait for them to be released.
I wouldn't be discouraged by Empyrion being in Early Access. I've already put over 200 hours in and am still going strong. There's plenty to do if you like to build and explore and being EA means you can get it cheap (19.95 last I checked).
neofit

Post by neofit »

Apollo wrote:I wouldn't be discouraged by Empyrion being in Early Access. I've already put over 200 hours in and am still going strong. There's plenty to do if you like to build and explore and being EA means you can get it cheap (19.95 last I checked).
The thing is that I rarely replay games. The 153 items in my current Steam wishlist make this harder. So I am wary of playing a game that is not yet feature complete, because I will probably enjoy it more when it is released, but will never get around to replaying it after the first playthrough.