XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - Now talking about the new WOTC Long War Mod

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - A new war? A new thread!

Post by Lassr »

Fardaza wrote:Steam says I've played 1,586 hours of the first game and 552 hours of XCOM 2! I love this game. :D
:shock:

No wonder you go 7 months between posts. Relax a while and post a little more. :D
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, I finally went and finished the final mission.

As it turns out, I didn't even need to research tier 3 weapons, we cranked through it just fine with the upgraded tier 2 stuff. Between wearing a couple of alien ruler skins and all the chosen and hunter guns / blades, not to mention all the crazy psionics, I think we took maybe six damage tops.

I'd like to try higher difficulty or ironman, but I already have a pretty tough time at the beginning of the game.
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Lassr wrote:
Fardaza wrote:Steam says I've played 1,586 hours of the first game and 552 hours of XCOM 2! I love this game. :D
:shock:

No wonder you go 7 months between posts. Relax a while and post a little more. :D
:oops: I'll try. How's this? :D
NickAragua wrote:I'd like to try higher difficulty or ironman, but I already have a pretty tough time at the beginning of the game.
The first couple of months is the hardest. After that it gets a little easier if you don't forget and extend your troops too far in a mission. You do that and disaster can strike!
I'm still waiting to play the last mission in my first WOTC game. I started a new one. For me, it's not about getting to that last battle. I enjoy the journey of getting there and all the decisions that go into a campaign.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I picked up the War of the Chosen expansion last night and started playing. I'm reminded of how much I enjoy the game.

I've been curious about the DLC start-ups. It looks like there's the Integrated method, and then unchecking that and selecting each one. I've read that when it's integrated, the store missions are absent, but the Alien bosses are positioned more reasonably. With it un-integrated, you can select when to trigger them as done in the past. Aside from how the Alien leaders are introduced, is there a real difference? I've never seen the story missions for Shen's Gift or the Alien Leaders, and don't specifically need to if it's a smoother gradient to keep them integrated.

I'm only 2.5 missions into this run (Commander/Non-Ironman) and if there's something big I'm going to miss, it'd be nice to know. :?:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I would highly recommend keeping the scripted missions. Otherwise, you're going to have those alien ruler jackasses showing up in addition to the chosen (not on the same missions, but still). With the scripted missions, like you said, you get to have control over when they start showing up so you can put them off until you tech up a little. The difficulty curve on the alien rulers is anything but smooth and if they show up too early your troops are going to get their clocks cleaned.

Shen's Last Gift is just a fun mission all around, you should do it at least once.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Uninstall Alien Rulers. :P The Chosen are the new and improved Alien Rulers IMO.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I dunno, I like the fact that I can add a certain level of challenge back to the game once I've killed off all the Chosen.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That settles it then. I'll disable the integration, but keep the content. The last time I played, I was mid-game when Alien Hunters came out and it slapped the items and bosses into my game without much warning. Same for Sparks.

I look forward to seeing the 'origin story' for both now. Thanks!
Black Lives Matter

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

For people that play with game controllers. I don't know if they fixed it with the latest patch. The previous DLCs story missions can't be enabled using game controllers. If you disable integrated DLCs then enable the story mission using controllers, it'll not register. You'll not have the story missions.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Since I disabled Integration, I get to choose when to trigger the Alien Rulers, and am in August now and left them alone. I want no part of them as long as the Chosen are around. I get beat up enough by one end of that spectrum. I really appreciate that recommendation.

Playing through WotC on Commander/Non-Ironman, I'm struck by how banged up and worn out my soldiers are getting. Sometimes it seems that a good 1/4 of my people are wounded or exhausted. I'd like to try for that "Squad of Tired Soldiers" achievement, but I can't seem to get 6 people tired and not damaged so they're ready to fight. Every single mission I'm coming back with half the team needing 4 to 8 days in Medical.

I think they either tweaked the AI to make things tougher and more balanced, or I'm stinkier. On my last run through many moons ago, I seem to recall that it was rare to have more than 2 or 3 people hurt at once and generally not more than 1 injury per mission. It's not just the Chosen. It's more acid bombs, grenades, and lucky hits. It's not having enough high cover to work with that I can keep my soldiers spread out so a grenade doesn't make perfect sense for a Muton... I mean, it seems that way at least.

Anyway - not a complaint. I love that I have a good reason to not just cycle between TeamA and TeamB while everyone else rots as a Rookie. I'm enjoying the challenge.

I think after this run, I'll go back and disable the Chosen content (and exhaustion) and make a run for the "Finished by July 1st" achievement. In watching my game this run, by July 1st I had Plated Armor, Magnetic Weapons, and a couple suits of EXO armor. Since I've done the last mission with "conventional" basic weapons and later with a 4-man squad, I'm certain I could do it with mid-grade ones and 6 people...
Black Lives Matter

Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Doing a Commander/Ironman run this time. Was doing well in late 2nd month when I forgot my own advice to an earlier poster. Don't go too far forward. I moved a ranger with the last movement of the turn to get her into some high cover. Wouldn't you know it, there were 3 more aliens lurking in the dark. :(

A couple turns later and 1 mind controlled grenadier, total squad wipe. Ouch.

Not sure if I can even win this game now because I'm low on troopers and very low on supplies.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So I'm after the 'Regicide' achievement and read that it's easiest to get in the Alien Boss intro mission with the Viper since you know he's there. Fair enough.

I put together a squad of my best, after killing all the Chosen, and head in. We chew through the entire lab, and I get everyone in position and on Overwatch on a ledge over the last datapad. I only assume something will happen when I step on it as something happened when I stepped on the last one. Bradford runs down and triggers the cut-scene. When the Viper King slips out, which I wasn't expecting to be so close, Bradford Bladestorms him and every single person shoots him. He dies during the cut-scene.

What was funnier was that the second Bradford stepped on the datapad and triggered the event, I got two achievement pop-ups - for finishing the mission and killing the King in the first sighting. The game spoiled my victory for me by telling me exactly what was about to happen before I even saw the King.

I'm not super-excited by the intel missions to reduce Avatar progress. I'm currently farting around and cleaning house, but thanks to those missions each month the Avatar program can't get past three pips. Completely removes the stress of the metagame.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

He dies during the cut-scene.
"Was that supposed to be a boss fight? lol"
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I may have waited a little too long to trigger the Alien bosses. When I met the Berserker Queen, she died trying to reach her portal - score another achievement.

When she got near half life, I used my Reaper to pump 6 rounds into her at 100% aim. The Queen then opened a Portal and tried to run with 10 life left, but my rooftop Sniper that was already on Overwatch would have none of that.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, that's one of the problems that this expansion introduced: the end-game is trivial. Once you've taken out all the chosen, you've gotten used to every mission being ultra-difficult and even if you don't have plasma guns, the chosen weaponry is nothing short of spectacular. And you've probably got about two squads of fully-upgraded colonels. So everything else after that is a cakewalk.

Of course, the beginning of the game is still rock hard. There's very little tactical flexibility for rookies and you only get to bring four of them.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:50 am Yeah, that's one of the problems that this expansion introduced: the end-game is trivial.
I'd agree. I wasn't finding the ending overly hard before. I've done it without ever buying a squad size upgrade and with 'Conventional' weapons (not the same run), both different Steam Achievements. So I've used a 4-man team (Psionic heavy), and a 6-man team with pea-shooters and Kevlar to take out the last mission.

Right now I've got 2/3 of a roster of Colonels and 1/3 Majors (3 SPARK units at Paladin), and all I have left is a couple story missions to the end of the game - and I've kind of lost interest in pushing through to the end. Every mission I'm on is a cakewalk, and drubbing aliens has actually gotten a little repetitive. The last mission won't be a challenge, and there are no achievements for invoking a complete slaughter.

The only Steam achievements left for me are:

- Win a Multiplayer game (I've never played one, let alone win one)
- Beat the game on Legendary (my next run)
- Beat the game before July 1st (I'm disabling WoTC for this. An extra 14 days doesn't seem worth it for all the grief you get from the Chosen)
- Beat the game on Commander/Ironman (I should disable WoTC for this)

That's three more playthroughs at the least. My only issue with Ironman is the stupid RNG deaths I sometimes get. It'll be hard to swallow that, especially early on before I get real armor and real weapons. I don't mind coming home with a squad of battered and bleeding soldiers, but I have trouble accepting that I can do everything perfectly and the game will still opt to randomly snuff a good soldier.

The 'Weary Warriors' achievement (0.3% of people have it) was a rough ride. I was doing okay until one of my soldiers was clipped by a bullet - and then half of them went insane. I had never taken a Tired soldier into combat and didn't know what to expect. It wasn't pretty at all.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm My only issue with Ironman is the stupid RNG deaths I sometimes get. It'll be hard to swallow that, especially early on before I get real armor and real weapons. I don't mind coming home with a squad of battered and bleeding soldiers, but I have trouble accepting that I can do everything perfectly and the game will still opt to randomly snuff a good soldier.
THAT is what Alt-F4 was created for... one shot crit-kills in full cover. Screw you stupid aliens. The Ironman save is created at the start of each player turn.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

On sale thru Aug. 6 for $26.79 (33% off). Still seems kind of steep to me, although I'm moderately tempted.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you played through XCOM2 a couple times and want something to refresh the game, the expansion will do it. It is a pretty big change to the game. If you want to wait for it to get cheaper, give the Long War 2 total conversion a go while you wait.

Also, it is $21.47 at green man right now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm wrapped up in Xenonauts at the moment (after losing my first try). Already played Long War. Still on the fence about this one.
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:46 am If you played through XCOM2 a couple times and want something to refresh the game, the expansion will do it. It is a pretty big change to the game. If you want to wait for it to get cheaper, give the Long War 2 total conversion a go while you wait.

I really want to pick this up, but I've only played through XCOM 2 once, so I don't feel like it's worth it to buy the expansion after only 1 playthrough.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Jag wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:46 am If you played through XCOM2 a couple times and want something to refresh the game, the expansion will do it. It is a pretty big change to the game. If you want to wait for it to get cheaper, give the Long War 2 total conversion a go while you wait.

I really want to pick this up, but I've only played through XCOM 2 once, so I don't feel like it's worth it to buy the expansion after only 1 playthrough.
The expansion really changes the game and makes it a much better game. Same story, but lots more options and development. An enhancement that makes the game better.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I don't think I would ever play without the expansion again. It makes things more dynamic and interesting (and frustrating, but that's part of the interesting).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

I should also say, that the story does change a little with the Alien Kings story line, and the custom weapons you get. But those are fairly mild changes and you can choose to change how they are implemented, to a limited degree.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The expansion is pretty great. Lots of new bad guys, several new soldier types, new map tilesets, couple of good alien guns. Also, there's a new fatigue mechanism, quirks, a buddy system and you can send your guys out on beer runs (little abstracted missions where the people you send out become unavailable, but then you get a reward). Oh yeah, and you can do a little bit of directed cross-training for your guys, giving them abilities from other classes.

The only criticism I have is that it's too front-loaded. All the stuff shows up at the beginning (which makes it harder) and there's really nothing for the end game, which becomes completely trivial once you're loaded up with alien leader guns, alien king-skin armor, etc. Although I hear that if you don't kill the alien leader guys, they show up in the final mission...
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just one more reason to disable the Alien Ruler DLC.

The Chosen make the alien rulers kind of redundant.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 am Just one more reason to disable the Alien Ruler DLC.

The Chosen make the alien rulers kind of redundant.
I agree with this, I played The Chosen with the Alien Ruler DLC disabled and it was quite entertaining.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jag

Post by Jag »

RMC wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 am
Jag wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am

The expansion really changes the game and makes it a much better game. Same story, but lots more options and development. An enhancement that makes the game better.
Good to know. Will probably wait for the price to come down a bit more, since I don't have time in my playing list right now. :D
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Back to the original price on GMG but 33% off on Steam right now... and decided to take the plunge. 31 additional gigabytes downloading....
-mf
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I think the only thing I hate about XCom 2 is the rulers. Which option is it at the beginning to totally remove them?

I feel like I've tried all the combinations of options like not integrating alien hunter dlc, and turning off the special missions, but they always seem to show up no matter what I do.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Sepiche wrote:I think the only thing I hate about XCom 2 is the rulers. Which option is it at the beginning to totally remove them?

I feel like I've tried all the combinations of options like not integrating alien hunter dlc, and turning off the special missions, but they always seem to show up no matter what I do.
Yeah the rulers really room XCOM 2 for me. Then getting a turn every action I take makes the game of careful planning far less fun as so much happens before you get another turn. I really don't like them.

I own it on Xbox and haven't seen a way to turn it off there which is a shame because I love the basic game a ton.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:23 pm
Sepiche wrote:I think the only thing I hate about XCom 2 is the rulers. Which option is it at the beginning to totally remove them?

Yeah the rulers really room XCOM 2 for me. Then getting a turn every action I take makes the game of careful planning far less fun as so much happens before you get another turn. I really don't like them.
On the plus side, once they're dead, you've got some nice new toys and you don't have to deal with them again.

I think the trick to the rulers is in the first round. You need to be extra vigilant with scouting and spot them before they activate, then set up a rockin' ambush that rips them apart before they start moving each time you do anything. That first ambush sets the tone for the encounter. If it goes really well, they're trying to flee before they attack you. :D

This is where the the Specialist's Guardian ability can be really handy, too - granting a 50% chance at more than one Overwatch shot, continually, as long as they hit. I think my record was three consecutive hits for free.
Black Lives Matter

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I decided to take this sale price. It's not great, but I anticipate playing xcom after I finish Xenonauts, probably in the next couple of weeks.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:56 am Well I decided to take this sale price. It's not great, but I anticipate playing xcom after I finish Xenonauts, probably in the next couple of weeks.
I keep putting it in my cart and deleting it. No way I'm playing in the next few months with my backlog and it will definitely drop in price by then.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The main thing that the expansion does that the base game does not is that it not-so-gently a) encourages a playstyle where you have enough guys to fill out several full squads, so that losing a couple isn't such a huge blow and b) allows you to train rookies up without having to send them on missions where they will invariable get eaten alive.

So, it's not easier per se, but it's a little more forgiving.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 pm The main thing that the expansion does that the base game does not is that it not-so-gently a) encourages a playstyle where you have enough guys to fill out several full squads, so that losing a couple isn't such a huge blow and b) allows you to train rookies up without having to send them on missions where they will invariable get eaten alive.

So, it's not easier per se, but it's a little more forgiving.
I always played that way anyhow. After you've ridden the rails and seen the story end once, building up big flexible squads is the most fun part of the game. Losing to the timer was my biggest peril, especially in Long War, which wasn't long enough for me. :D
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

There's a new mini-expansion coming out, FREE to all the owners of WoTC:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/#41044

Pretty sweet!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll take it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That's pretty cool. I kind of thought they had moved on.

I was considering wading back in sometime soon. The "squad tactical" urges tickled me last week and I was thinking XCOM 2. Good timing.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

This better not overlap with Battletech: Flashpoint. I don't know how I'm going to handle two games I'm obsessed with getting expansions at the same time.
Black Lives Matter