XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - Now talking about the new WOTC Long War Mod

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - A new war? A new thread!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm
NickAragua wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15 pm Yep, above, below, left, right.
Just not diagonally.
#BishopLivesMatter
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm Just not diagonally.
Daveman wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pmMy first game I relied on explosives a lot too so don't feel bad.
Explosives are the simple key to postponing some research needs early on. In the first XCOM, you were penalized for using explosives in terms of scavenged alien resources. I don't think there's any penalty to spraying grenades like candy in XCOM2.
Not true. Any carried loot is destroyed by explosives. There are mods that show who is carrying loot. Seems pretty cheaty to me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:01 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm Just not diagonally.
Daveman wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pmMy first game I relied on explosives a lot too so don't feel bad.
Explosives are the simple key to postponing some research needs early on. In the first XCOM, you were penalized for using explosives in terms of scavenged alien resources. I don't think there's any penalty to spraying grenades like candy in XCOM2.
Not true. Any carried loot is destroyed by explosives. There are mods that show who is carrying loot. Seems pretty cheaty to me.
Ah. I had forgotten about that. Disregard me, then. I think I recall now using explosives to level a lot of cover objects. Running the Legacy missions is tainting my recollection of the base game. In Legacy, all that matters is survival and you destroy everything.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Paingod wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm
No matter how much Dr. Vahlen complained about it, I'll take not being able to scavenge a piece of an alien gun over losing one of my guys. If I wanted to capture an intact gun, I'd zap the alien bastard with the tazer thing.
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm I don't think there's any penalty to spraying grenades like candy in XCOM2.
They're a magnet for Lost hordes if you have them in your mission. Very bad to use them on those maps.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Tongue grabs are kinda glitchy. Don't think I've had one yet where the grabbed and grabbee are on the same tile after. If I target the snake with a melee attack I can figure out where they are, and now that I've done that I know that my soldier is always in the correct tile, but man, that's a bug I wouldn't expect. I don't recall ever seeing it in vanilla.

Also, shadowbound avatar thingie ran on the spot for about 15 seconds before finally teleporting to the right tile.

Getting my ass kicked on a race to the supplies with lost on the map. Pretty rough. Not sure I'm gonna save or restart it.

And wtf is up with all the animations? Every freakin' time a lost swarm shows up and alerts, we need a cut scene? It's cool, once. Maybe once per mission on first contact. But every time? It's too much.

So many animations. I thought the mods I had installed sped most of that up by cutting it completely, but I guess not. And yes, I have zip mode enabled. I might be missing something else though, so feel free to comment.

edit: Turned off action cam. We'll see what that changes.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Ok, sorry for the dumb question, but I didn't see it in a quick perusal of this thread. Which Long War is recommended, and does it affect the new DLC?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The long pauses and animations are starting to drive me a bit crazy. When combined with things going badly, frustration levels are pretty high. Also, I don't understand how autosaves work on missions. I reloaded turn 2 from turn 7 or 8 (I'm not sure) and now I only have autosaves showing turn 9 or 10? Is this just a naming convention issue? Are those turns actually the new turn 3 and 4?

Frustrated with this mission. Missed some easy shots which didn't help. There's nothing special about the mission although I am having trouble with activating 2 pods at once. Can't seem to find a way around that and get the only crates within reach before they get snatched.

Obviously the crate is an ambush trap, but if I give them up, I probably only get 1 or 2 out of 11, and that by killing everything on the map. I'm not saying it's not doable, I am saying I'm having trouble with it. It's also a bit frustrating to watch a swarm of lost run right through a pod of aliens and beeline it to my guys.

Might be time to call it a night. Tired and still a little sick from a cold.

edit: Ok, with 2 guys still in stealth, 1 guy shadowbound and my last guy (I lost a guy) out of LoS, the lost are just pounding the aliens. I feel better. :D

edit: wtf is with the supply crate crane hook animation? I get it, you're taking crates, why are you dragging this out? Do the developers think it's fun for the player to watch 11 crate animations, 2 a turn, turn after turn? Grrr.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

PSA: Just a reminder for anyone new to Xcom 2, if the enemy only has melee attacks, you can thwart them by standing at the top of a ladder/pipe/other climbing thing. If there is no room at the top of the ladder, they can't climb it. Most of the time they get stuck at the bottom, although I am seeing some of the faster dashers run for other, more circuitous routes to you, which is good. The guy at the top of the ladder can't shoot the bottom of the ladder, so you'll have to get another player to kill the lost directly below. This is probably to reduce the cheese of shooting fish in a barrel. You have to dedicate a soldier to just stand there and shoot at anything else in his LoS.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:36 pmAnd wtf is up with all the animations? Every freakin' time a lost swarm shows up and alerts, we need a cut scene? It's cool, once. Maybe once per mission on first contact. But every time? It's too much.

So many animations. I thought the mods I had installed sped most of that up by cutting it completely, but I guess not. And yes, I have zip mode enabled. I might be missing something else though, so feel free to comment.
I have all the extra cams disabled. I can't recall if I made an edit to an INI file, or if there were simply settings to disable them. I haven't had a single "pod activated" animation/cut scene yet in the Legacy missions. I do still get special event videos - like a Faceless eruption or Chrysallid spawning onto the map.

I agree that the default gets old fast. Chase cams were fun for a mission or two, but in the end I just wanted to play.
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:07 am PSA: Just a reminder for anyone new to Xcom 2, if the enemy only has melee attacks, you can thwart them by standing at the top of a ladder/pipe/other climbing thing.
Sidenote: Not all enemies use ladders.
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 amThe long pauses and animations are starting to drive me a bit crazy.
I've had a few bugged animations that I didn't have before, where an action takes place and then I watch a super-super-slow-mo for 20 seconds before everything snaps back to normal.

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 amWhen combined with things going badly, frustration levels are pretty high. Also, I don't understand how autosaves work on missions. I reloaded turn 2 from turn 7 or 8 (I'm not sure) and now I only have autosaves showing turn 9 or 10? Is this just a naming convention issue? Are those turns actually the new turn 3 and 4?
The problem with autosaves is that they constantly overwrite each other. You'll load Save 3, and then that gets pushed down to Save 4 and you've got a new save 1. Load save 4 again, then it gets pushed down and overwritten as save 1. They just cycle. I'm pretty sure I used the date/time stamps (I think they're visible in the load menu) to figure out which to use, and if I saw a "good" save getting phased out, or had a really hard spot, I'd make a manual save that the game didn't overwrite.
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 amFrustrated with this mission... Can't seem to find a way around that and get the only crates within reach before they get snatched.
I remember some frustrations with crates. You can't always get them all, even with good stealth. I'm a completionist/perfectionist and this drove me nuts. Sometimes you've just got to accept them as gone. IIRC (and I may not), you can game it a little by moving around for better positions on the other crates before taking one. I think there were only ever 4 at once, so you could move up, get ready to grab three, and then snag three more the next round with the right positioning. I could be misremembering. I need to get through the Legacy and back to the game proper.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Lost activation is the same as the chrysalid and faceless activation, but with the quantity of the Lost on a map, it happens regularly. I'll look into methods of speeding things up. I'm pretty sure the mods I have did exactly that for the regular game. Not sure if anything is different with the WotC mods, or I'm misremembering. Things like reloading a gun used to pause the game while you waited for the animation to finish. Now you can switch to a new soldier and give him orders while the first soldier finishes reloading.

If the autosave simply cycled through 4 save slots or something like that, it wouldn't be a problem. There's something wacky about it although I haven't put my finger on it yet. I don't believe the mission autosaves have a time stamp on it, just date, so they are all the same date, just the turn # in the title, which should be enough.

Obviously my comments re: blocking the top tile of a ladder only applies to melee units that use ladders. :)

I don't really have a problem with the crates being hard to get. I got 3 one time and that was almost 150 supplies. All 11 would be too much, and you're clearly not supposed to or even able to get them all. I had 2 complaints. One was that I couldn't get the first crate that I came across without activating 2-3 pods, depending on their small patrol radius. This is because of the path I chose, but it's still annoying. Without pre-existing knowledge of the mission, I'm fubar'd. The punishment for going right instead of left is a bit too much, but that's fine. That's Xcom as it were. The other complaint is just related to the transport claw animation. The camera moves, making a big deal of it, then the animation, then the camera moves back. That happens like twice a turn when things heat up, exactly when you don't want your attention taken from combat. It's super annoying. Worse, without the cameras turned off, there is often a transport animated cut scene before the claw.

It's too much. Especially if you reloaded and were playing the same turns over again.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:36 pm Getting my ass kicked on a race to the supplies with lost on the map. Pretty rough. Not sure I'm gonna save or restart it.
I had one of those. You can't win those, you just need to grab however many crates you can and then call in an extraction and get out. I managed to grab 3 in mine and it said it was a successful mission afterwards. I don't think it matters how many you get, it's a bonus mission. Not only did I have the Lost on mine, I had the Hunter pop in as well. Talk about ugly.

Speaking of the Hunter, I managed to kill him in a mission last night for the first time. Remote Start from my Reaper took most of his health and he grappled away but Mox grappled right after him and delivered the coup de grâce. I was disappointed to find out he didn't stay dead.

I'm into May now and have about 5 lieutenants. No majors yet. I've gotten my rep up with the reapers and just got a covert Op to recruit my second reaper, which I've been looking forward to. Reapers are so awesome. Templars are pretty great too but mine keeps getting wounded and put back on the shelf before I can get him past Sgt. He did pick up Reaper on his last promotion though. I had a long Guerrilla Op mission with the Lost last night and he killed about 10 on them in one turn with the Reaper skill active. He ended up with 2 HP damage at the end and that put him back on the shelf for 11 days. I guess it's time to build that infirmary.

I have 5 engineers and 3 scientists now. I've bought 2 of the engineers from the back market.

I absolutely love this game. I can't put it down. I'm so glad I finally bought it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ColdSteel wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:49 amReapers are so awesome.
Complete game changers.

After expending the group stealth, they're still sneaking with a tiny observable radius ... and let you trigger fights from a position of safety, forcing enemies to spend their turn moving up and into an ambush. What's not to love? Even if they had no other ability except to remain hidden, not even a gun, I'd still put them in teams.
Black Lives Matter

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Green Goo- There should be a setting in the menu option somewhere, that lets you disable the various cameras, ie chase cam and zip cam maybe. I dont know about the animation when the lost are "woken" though. Might be in an ini file.

Crate missions - the crate missions dont start, until you've hooked your first crate. So what you can do, is scout around the map a bit, and a get a feel for where things are. Then try to get your guys in position to try to nab as many as possible.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Newcastle wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:58 am Crate missions - the crate missions dont start, until you've hooked your first crate.
They also start when you're revealed. I realize if that happens you've made a mistake, I'm just pointing it out.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I picked up the whole shebang this weekend. This game is effin' bonkers! That is all (for now, the Ethereals are x-coming)
There is no hug button. Sad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I am getting my ass *kicked* on pretty much every mission I go on now. It's so bad that I haven't made any progress as I'm constantly reloading. I'm damn near giving in and save scumming every turn in combat.

I never won a game of vanilla on commander/ironman, but I had many where I made it past the "hump" and was on the down slope to the end when I lost interest and started new ones. In WotC the early missions were surprisingly easy. So easy in fact that I had to double check that I had actually set the difficulty to commander. Now, I am getting wasted constantly.

So I admit that I rarely abuse the ai, and in fact I never paid attention or even learned how the ai worked beyond basic functionality like not exposing a flank and things like that. Unfortunately I think I either need a LOT more experience, or I need to learn exactly how the ai works. I've started watching some legendary ironman let's plays to see how the better players do it, and I can say without a doubt that they know exactly how the ai works and what it's most likely to do next turn, assuming any are left alive to have another turn. It really shows how knowledgeable they are about the game mechanics when they leave their soldiers out of cover in the middle of a mission, because there is zero chance they will be shot at no matter what happens on the alien turn.

Now I already knew the things I'm seeing, but I often wouldn't consciously take advantage of it. I rarely think "the ai is here, the pods are likely here and here, I need to do this, and then that, I have x amount of firepower and the aliens have y hp, so I need to make sure this alien dies this round, and that alien dies no later than next round." I'm going to have to start doing that I think. I don't like it, but I'm too frustrated not to do it. I need to get better or I need to quit. So better it is. Hopefully.

I had read a comment from a player claiming to have won commander/ironman on vanilla but found wotc impossible. I was sure this player was a liar because I had found wotc even easier than vanilla up until now. No longer. There are a lot of additional factors that you need to take into account in wotc that just don't exist in vanilla, and I'm not taking them into account, even though I thought I was.

The guy I'm watching has basically said that he only plays long war now because the game as-is is too easy. I doubt I'm ever gonna get to that point, I just like taking risks too much, which is why I play on commander and not Legendary.

As I write this, I remember when I started playing commander/ironman in vanilla. There was a *steep* learning curve where I was pretty much feeling like I am now with wotc. I guess it's possible that's all I'm going through. A learning curve that I didn't expect and that I thought I had mastered (or at least gotten good at). More practice and more experience should help. It did in vanilla.

I'm just shocked at how far south my missions go. I tend to play them out even when a guy gets knocked out, just to see how the rest of the mission goes. It does not go well. :D

edit: Moved question to new post.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I just realized the legendary ironman dude (ronar) I'm watching has a mod that shows you when your move tile is visible to aliens you can see (view concealment) but haven't activated/alerted yet (other non-concealed units). I don't think this is cheating (or is it?), as you can count the tiles from the alien to the position to see if it's close enough or not, the mod just takes the tedium out of it. I never do it, relying on luck and guesswork, because I don't have the patience. I think I'm gonna install the mod, as it would be a game changer for me. Up until now my mods are all just quality of life mods, like removing unwanted animations, letting you change soldiers before a soldier finishes his reload animation, etc, etc.

What do you guys think? Too much like cheating? Do I really have to count the tiles every single turn? Gah.

edit: pretty sure the mod is [WotC] Gotcha Again if you want to check it out yourself.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've always felt that whatever can make you enjoy a game more you should do with real cheats or "fake" cheats it doesn't really matter.
And yes I have this game but have just put in a few minutes as I'm play Xcom1 for the first time now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Gotcha Again is mandatory in my mind! It keeps you from moving into a "dumb" place. I don't consider it cheating.

Also, on those crate missions, you can recover any leftover crates by clearing all the aliens. Aliens gone, crates ours! :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fardaza wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:50 pm Also, on those crate missions, you can recover any leftover crates by clearing all the aliens. Aliens gone, crates ours! :D
Yeah, I'm now using Gotcha Again. I don't like guessing and I really don't like counting tiles.

The crate mission in question had Lost and an unactivated pod on the other side of a couple of swarms of lost, so I just couldn't wipe them out fast enough. You're absolutely right though, killing everything nets you whatever is still left on the map.

I just evac'd carrying a stabilized Mox and it shows him as captured on the mission complete screen.

Separately, I picked up a soldier who was bleeding out, and even though she must have bled out on the next turn, the game let carry her around, put her down after she had died (I don't think I got a death message though) pick her up again and carry to the evac, where we evac'd carrying the dead soldier.

That seems wrong somehow. I get the no man ('s body) left behind idea, but functionally it makes no difference whether you bring the body back or not. Related, I stood beside 2 bodies, 1 stabilized, 1 dead, and hit the pick up icon. It picked up the stabilized guy (as it should) with no indication that the dead body was even in range. If you can't pick up a dead body as might be indicated by this behaviour, then why did it let me carry around a dead body that bled out in my arms? Then put it on the ground, then pick it back up?

I can't say for sure that I couldn't pick up the dead body that was beside the stabilized body, but it didn't give me a choice, and if it's possible to normally pick up a dead body, it should have given me a choice, I would think.

Anyway, watching the Legendary dude has already made some of my decision making better, so that's a positive.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My son is playing on his account, by using the family sharing. It works fine, but there are so many auto-saves left behind that it's becoming a mess/unwieldy. I'd like to delete bulk delete the saves from the saves folder, but I can't tell which saves on disk correspond to which saves in game.

Does anyone know a way to do this?

edit: They don't seem to correspond between the oldest in-game time stamps and the lowest numbered save on the disk (naming convention is simply save##) Do I really need to delete 50+ saves in game, 1 at a time? Bah.

edit: Did a comparison of the save dir before and after deleting saves in game. I see no difference, even after waiting for steam's cloud saves to sync. I exited the game and reloaded it, deleted some more, checked the dir again. No change.

Yet when I look in game, the saves I deleted are no longer visible. Sigh.

edit: Xcom probably keeps all the saves (vanilla + WotC) in the same dir, so the saves I see in game are probably not everything that I'll see in the dir. Still doesn't explain the lack of change after deleting in game, but oh well.

edit: Ok, looking at the file timestamps, there's nothing from this year. Sigh. Looks like WotC does not put their save files in the same place as vanilla. I'm dumb (sorta).

Hey look at this \Documents\My Games\XCOM2 War of the Chosen\XComGame\SaveData directory right beside the vanilla directory. :oops:

edit: omg, the save file names have all the autosave details in them, and the non-autosave files have the same name as the in-game name! You rock, intern who made this change from vanilla to WotC!

Let the bulk deleting begin!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm hoping you don't come back in a moment and declare a Jihad on that intern after accidentally deleting your in-progress game... :mrgreen:

I'll have to give that Gotcha Again mod a look. I do -not- think that's akin to cheating; it's additional tactical information in a tactical game that can be acquired manually if you took the time. I'd think of it more like using a calculator instead of doing the math on paper. You've passed basic proficiency, and it's just faster to get it automated.

My XCOM2 mod selection is zero right now. Completely clean. I don't know if/which mods interfere with Steam achievements, but I don't like risking it. I'm working towards a 100% completion with this. Still annoyed that it came out before I could get 100% on XCOM1... :P

I was thinking about trying this, though: Red Dwarf Voice Pack - Hundreds of dialog lines lifted from the show, inserted into the game.

I'm still miffed that I didn't get the "Continental Fellow" achievement in XCOM1 - apparently, you need to beat the game from all 5 starting locations in either Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within - but you can't mix and match. I'm pretty sure I had five different win locations, but across two versions. At some point - if I can figure out which countries I've already finished - I'm considering going back and running through Easy campaigns in rapid succession to complete it. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. It's the only one I'm missing.

I'm slowly working towards 100% achievements in XCOM2 as well. Normally, I don't care for achievements. If I get them, fine. If not, whatever. But these games ... I dunno. :hawk: Damn OCD.
Black Lives Matter

Jag

Post by Jag »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 pmWhat do you guys think? Too much like cheating? Do I really have to count the tiles every single turn? Gah.

edit: pretty sure the mod is [WotC] Gotcha Again if you want to check it out yourself.
It's only cheating if you consider save-scumming cheating. I'm going to check it out, but I'm positive it will lower my save scumming from making dumb moves or moving a dude to the "wrong" spot to get a shot off. I'm actually about mid-game now, so I've got better armor and weapons which means my missions are going much better than before.

What other mods do you use? I'm not running with any right now. I only disabled the "tired" mechanic because I didn't like :D

I'm ready to finally assault my first stronghold. I just need 1 more day for a research project to finish (which means I'll have an emergency mission popup of course!) Those red dots on my screen are more than halfway full and I think I need to assault something to reduce it, right? (i've been running covert missions to reduce time too).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:49 am I'll have to give that Gotcha Again mod a look. I do -not- think that's akin to cheating; it's additional tactical information in a tactical game that can be acquired manually if you took the time. I'd think of it more like using a calculator instead of doing the math on paper. You've passed basic proficiency, and it's just faster to get it automated.
I think the iffy part is that I think it will let you know when you are going to activate a pod you haven't located yet, but unless you are running, it is pretty reasonable you can avoid that so I'll allow it. I've used it and I am not ashamed of it.
Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:49 amMy XCOM2 mod selection is zero right now. Completely clean. I don't know if/which mods interfere with Steam achievements, but I don't like risking it. I'm working towards a 100% completion with this. Still annoyed that it came out before I could get 100% on XCOM1... :P
Modern XCOM games (specifying because I have no idea about the old ones) are *very* easy-going on mods vs achievements. I am not sure any mods block achievements.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am I think the iffy part is that I think it will let you know when you are going to activate a pod you haven't located yet, but unless you are running, it is pretty reasonable you can avoid that so I'll allow it. I've used it and I am not ashamed of it.
It does not do this by default. It might have an option in the ini to turn that on, but it absolutely does not indicate that you are about to alert a pod that you can't see yet.

Jag, I'll take a look later when I have time and let you know the mods I have installed. I'm extremely mod adverse normally, but the game has so many pauses, screen wipes, unskippable voice-overs and animations that it is a major chore to play once you've seen them a few times. It's akin to waiting 10 seconds for a webpage to load. You didn't mind it too much in the 2000's because everything was new and exciting but today if a page takes longer than about 3 seconds, I start to get annoyed. You have tactical decisions to make, and the game is not letting you make them. So my first mods were those that sped up these parts of the game.

This is the first time I've used mods other than those, which I'll list for you later. The legendary guy I've been watching (Ronar) has all the same speed up mods installed that I do, plus a crap-ton more, many of which are cosmetic, voice-overs and skins.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:06 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am I think the iffy part is that I think it will let you know when you are going to activate a pod you haven't located yet, but unless you are running, it is pretty reasonable you can avoid that so I'll allow it. I've used it and I am not ashamed of it.
It does not do this by default. It might have an option in the ini to turn that on, but it absolutely does not indicate that you are about to alert a pod that you can't see yet.
OK. I've only done one run with mods and I have a few so it may have been another that was doing that (or maybe they changed/optioned it).

Edit:
[WotC] Gotcha Again
-Pod activation indicators: When a move will trigger a pod activation, an indicator will appear on the unit that will spot you and the tile on which you are first spotted will be indicated by a marker as well.
I swear this triggered for unknown pods, but again it has been a long time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just realized I don't have Shen's last gift dlc, so no sparks for me, I guess? Oh well.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:14 am Just realized I don't have Shen's last gift dlc, so no sparks for me, I guess? Oh well.
On the plus side it likely means you also don't have Alien Rulers. I mean yeah that gives you some good equipment but what a damn pain in the ass.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:10 am
Edit:
[WotC] Gotcha Again
-Pod activation indicators: When a move will trigger a pod activation, an indicator will appear on the unit that will spot you and the tile on which you are first spotted will be indicated by a marker as well.
I swear this triggered for unknown pods, but again it has been a long time.
I'm about 98% that it does not. Not without a change to the default settings anyway. I'm pretty sure I checked that it did not in fact do that, because that's clearly cheating to me and I wouldn't have installed it. The line you quoted is exactly what I was talking about before, where a concealed soldier can see a pod that has not activated yet, and you move an unconcealed soldier inside the pod's activation range. The mod will show an icon on your cursor, indicating the activation before you make the move.

edit: Just did a search and it looks like you can enable that functionality (indicate activation of unrevealed pod) in the ini. It's under "cheats" apparently :D
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:14 amJust realized I don't have Shen's last gift dlc, so no sparks for me, I guess? Oh well.
My fascination/obsession with robotics in games precludes me from playing without options like that if they're available.
Black Lives Matter

Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:16 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:14 am Just realized I don't have Shen's last gift dlc, so no sparks for me, I guess? Oh well.
On the plus side it likely means you also don't have Alien Rulers. I mean yeah that gives you some good equipment but what a damn pain in the ass.
Pretty sure I was able to disable that DLC when I started the game. I kept the upgrades from the DLCs, but not the story chapters.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I keep reading how the dlc is automatically integrated into wotc. Lots of people are seeing Rulers and Chosen in their campaign (but not during the same mission). I guess this is optional?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you don't have the DLC they aren't integrated. If you don't install the DLC they aren't integrated. Otherwise you have a choice HOW they are integrated. They can be set up to be triggered by voluntarily completing the mission that triggers them or occur more naturally without the DLC specific missions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Here's my list of mods, all WOTC versions.
Gotcha Again
Stop Wasting My Time
Show Health Values
Confirm Free Reload
Show Me the XP
Misclick Confirm
Hack Plus

More Nations and Names
Capnbubs Accessories
Color Coded Bonds
XXL Tattoo
Female Hair Pack

Confirm Free Reload keeps you from wasting a free reload when you still have ammo.
Misclick Confirm prevents you from accidentally clicking the wrong spot and leaving your soldier out of cover.
Hack Plus...don't remember what it does.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag, here's my list

Code: Select all

Stop wasting my time - wotc
long war smg pack - wotc (unofficial)
evac all - wotc
quicker reload - wotc
instant avenger menus - wotc
[wotc] additional icons
[wotc] gotcha again
[wotc] mod config menu
[wotc+classic] tacticalui killcounter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Fardaza wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:08 pm
Misclick Confirm prevents you from accidentally clicking the wrong spot and leaving your soldier out of cover.
Hack Plus...don't remember what it does.
I gotta get that one. Many is the time I have wished for an Undo button for exactly that reason.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm up into June now in my campaign and things are getting a bit tougher. I've started running into Avatars, Specters, Priests, Codex and the like. Some of them, like the Avatar, can be a real PITA unless you can alpha strike them dead before their turn.

My first Reaper is now a Major (my only one). I used her in the stage 3 covert op to find the assassin's stronghold. Now that I know where her base it, I'm debating whether I should go ahead and take a crack at knocking her out or wait until I can research energy weapons. I'm currently researching the plasma rifle but it's a 15 day job and then I still have more research after that. So, maybe another full month to go at best. Right now I have all the mag weapons, Predator armor, dragon and talon ammo rounds. I hate to sit and wait and let her get even stronger but I'm not sure I have enough to take her out now or not. When do you usually give it a try?

I decided to try out the 'Gotcha Again' mod I read about here above and I like it. Unobtrusive and helpful. They should just make it part of the game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Seriously considering a black market mod that tells me what corpses are used for and how many I need for the use. Trying to figure out what's safe to sell and what isn't is a pain.