Destiny 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

IceBear

Re: Destiny 2

Post by IceBear »

Once I got the hang of how the double jump works it wasn't as bad as when I first got there and died soooooo many times from bad jumps
Tao

Post by Tao »

On sale for 50% off for the next few days, which IMHO is a decent deal. I was not in at the beginning but I would say at this point this is a $30 game. The Season Pass is still at a ridiculous price, again in my opinion, would also like to see a sale on the DLC before I pull the trigger.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is in the Humble Monthly June 2018 bundle (!)
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:50 pm this is in the Humble Monthly June 2018 bundle (!)
Wow, just saw that. Basically $12 for the Destiny 2 base game (plus several other yet to be determined games).
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:15 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:50 pm this is in the Humble Monthly June 2018 bundle (!)
Wow, just saw that. Basically $12 for the Destiny 2 base game (plus several other yet to be determined games).
After giving the free trial a whirl, I'm definitely taking that deal.
naednek

Post by naednek »

bestbuy has it for $8 for xbox or ps4

https://slickdeals.net/f/11560319-gcu-m ... ore-pickup
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Wonder if this is the reason for all the discounts.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Nope, it's for the incoming dlc, or at least that's what they did for the first dlc pack.

But I do have to admit, by the time I jumped into the first destiny (taken king expansion, either #3 or 4) it was a more compelling long term game than 2 currently is.

But for $8, it's definitely worth it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If someone in the OO Clan could either send me an invite or give Tao invite privs, it would be appreciated! :D

Picked it up from the latest HumbleBundle. And been playing way too much.

Dhrak#1508

Thanks.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looks like they're down for maintenance right now, but I'll try to get you an invite as soon as it's back up.

Just PM me if I forget.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:13 pm Looks like they're down for maintenance right now, but I'll try to get you an invite as soon as it's back up.

Just PM me if I forget.
Thanks.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I do not recall if both parties have to be online for the invite, if it makes things easier I am in the OO Clan and still play regularly, mostly with TheMix now, so if someone wanted to assign me invite privileges I could coordinate with TheMix.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Always complications. :P

Can't seem to find your account info by just searching, and only the founder can promote members to admins apparently.

If you go here and request to join, I *should* be able to see the request and approve it from what I read.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wow. Either you are amazingly fast, or it auto-signed me up.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blizzard is giving away Destiny 2 on Battlenet for a couple weeks

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzar ... ovember-18
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Daughter and I both have accounts and downloaded it yesterday. She has off school on Thursday so I'm planning on trying it out. I never played the 1st one or even really payed any attention to the series. It's a great idea as I'm sure it will get people to buy the DLC if they like it and it boosts the player numbers.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I tried it and put maybe a couple of hours into it. Really fun! And MMO is definitely NOT my thing. Reminds me of HL2 with amazeballs graphics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:42 pm And MMO is definitely NOT my thing.
I wouldn't remotely call this an MMO, unless the first M is "mildly." Maybe a lower case m.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The graphics are pretty amazeballs. :D

I could have done without the jumping puzzles. Wasn't so bad when I leveled my second character. The difference in the class jump mechanics mixed with experience helped. But at one point I almost walked away. I really despise jumping puzzles.

Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:28 pm The graphics are pretty amazeballs. :D

I could have done without the jumping puzzles. Wasn't so bad when I leveled my second character. The difference in the class jump mechanics mixed with experience helped. But at one point I almost walked away. I really despise jumping puzzles.
The jumping is really maddening in this until you figure it out.

For anyone just picking this up: tap space to jump into the air, and then hold space to enable your class jump. Releasing space will arc you back toward the ground. Warlock jump is low height, long distance. Hunter IIRC is big height, short distance. Titan is a smooth arc that's right in the middle.

Practice with that a bit and it will be second nature before you know it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I haven't played Titan, but my recollection is a bit different.

As I recall, Warlock can turn the jump on/off one time. Makes it great for falling long distances since you can ... (if I'm remembering correctly) ... drop fast, kick on your jump to slow the fall, kick it off again to drop some more, and then kick it on one last time to land safely. At least that's how I mostly use it.

The Hunter has a "double jump". You click jump once and then once more to launch yourself higher.

Doing the jumping puzzles with the Hunter was way easier because of the added height. Of course, my first character was the Warlock... That's probably why I had so much trouble. With the Warlock you pretty much have to get the jumps exactly right. The Hunter has some leeway.

Of course, the real "delight" comes when you are switching characters. Nothing like plummeting to your death because the character you are on doesn't jump the way you were "expecting". :D

At least the scenery is generally really pretty as you fall...

Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Most of my experience is with a Titan, so take that for what it's worth. :)
Tao

Post by Tao »

Each class has multiple jump mechanics you can change in and out so you may both be right depending on which version of Jump you were using.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Right.... I forgot about that part. Though I didn't think it changed the 'root' dynamic for the class. So the Hunter is still the double jump. But you can opt for faster with less directional control, slower with greater control, or mixed. Or something like that...

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Interesting, I had no idea the jumping mechanic was so complicated. Explains why I died multiple times when I was trying to double jump and nothing happened.

Also, just by the way this loads, is it not an online MP game? It was looking for servers, etc.

But about an hour in or more, and I haven’t seen anyone else. I’m very much in a story mode on rails (which I actually prefer!) as far as I can tell.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes it is an MP game but it takes a little bit to get to the first hub where you'll see other players running around.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It's essentially two games. Initially it's a solo game as you run through the story and level. Then it opens up and becomes more multi-player once you hit the gear grind. That's when you start PvP'ing or running "instances" with other people.

Black Lives Matter

disarm

Post by disarm »

Even when the game opens up and starts to offer a lot of multi-player options, there are still a ton of things to do on your own. That's one of the interesting things about Destiny 2...can be a seriously competitive online PVP experience, or a mostly solo PvE game. You can play it either way (or both), with the same solid shooter mechanics throughout. As long as you like the feel of the game (which I personally think is fantastic), there's something for everyone.

As for jumping, I have a level 50 Hunter (power level 498), and have abilities selected that actually give me a triple jump right now. The variety in classes and abilities is huge.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got this over the free weekend and decided to give it a try. I like it so far - although I'm not very far. Just got to the Shard.

Is there something that will explain what powers I have? I'm playing a Titan and I am told I am supercharged and I have a shield. But it doesn't seem very useful. I can't shoot while I have it and it doesn't seem like I can bash anyone. I never played the first one, so I'm starting from scratch here.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I haven't played the Titan, so someone else will have to answer related questions.

But I can say that I never had problems with the other two classes. So there must have bee some info/guidance on using your class power. As I recall, I had to do a "quest" each time, and then had to specifically use the power to finish it. So they make you practice with it as soon as you get it. But maybe that was only when you get the other two "versions"?

Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 am I got this over the free weekend and decided to give it a try. I like it so far - although I'm not very far. Just got to the Shard.

Is there something that will explain what powers I have? I'm playing a Titan and I am told I am supercharged and I have a shield. But it doesn't seem very useful. I can't shoot while I have it and it doesn't seem like I can bash anyone. I never played the first one, so I'm starting from scratch here.
I'm a little rusty with Destiny 2, but IIRC the shield power is pretty unique in that it's mostly defensive, but you can eventually get the ability to throw the shield for good damage. Your punch attacks with the shield are also mush stronger than usual, so if you can get close, you can still do some pretty good damage. You'll want to look at the other paths for the Titan though if you're looking for a more straight forward attack power.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

For the low, low, price of zero, I picked it up.

It's fun enough, I'll probably play through the story and then uninstall it. You can see the "MMO" poking through, as there seem to be about twenty forms of currency and other ways of "grinding". The environments are beautiful, the gameplay and story is very, uh, Bungie.

I'm playing a Hunter and there are three subclasses - same will be true for a Titan. Eventually you'll get access to all three subclasses and be able to switch between them at will if you don't like your default abilities.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Tried to get my daughter into this and she gave a big meh. Instead we tried Sea of Thieves and had a blast.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'm just stupid, but figuring out what to do next is very confusing. And there is really no explanation about how to use powers or what all the stuff you pick up is. It's pretty annoying. Like what is the purpose of picking up glimmer? I have 20k and no idea what to use it on.

That being said, I'm having a ton of fun. I'm rarely sure what I'm doing, but it's still fun to blast stuff. I'm on vacation for the next two weeks and I see many hours being sunk into this one.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:27 pm Like what is the purpose of picking up glimmer? I have 20k and no idea what to use it on.
Nothing... yet. :D

Once you complete the storyline and start working on the weekly grind, you can spend the glimmer to buy random basic weapon and armor mods. The benefit of that is that when you get 2? 3? of the same one, you can combine them into better versions.

Some items from vendors will also cost glimmer, often in addition to whatever local currency items you need.

I think there is also a glimmer cost for some upgrades.

But, back to the question, not much. And definitely not while leveling.

Also, you cap at 100k. So (as I learned from Tao), every time I get close to 100k, I go spend ~30k on upgrades.

Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:27 pm Like what is the purpose of picking up glimmer? I have 20k and no idea what to use it on.
Nothing... yet. :D

Once you complete the storyline and start working on the weekly grind, you can spend the glimmer to buy random basic weapon and armor mods. The benefit of that is that when you get 2? 3? of the same one, you can combine them into better versions.

Some items from vendors will also cost glimmer, often in addition to whatever local currency items you need.

I think there is also a glimmer cost for some upgrades.

But, back to the question, not much. And definitely not while leveling.

Also, you cap at 100k. So (as I learned from Tao), every time I get close to 100k, I go spend ~30k on upgrades.
Thanks.

What is the point of the weekly grind? I'm likely to be happy to finish the main story. I can't imagine getting into PvP.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

When you finish the main storyline, your gear level will be around 250. The max (without expansions) is 300, or 305 with mods.

All the gear that drops is going to be the gear level that you are currently at. So you cannot improve your gear through drops. However, each week there will be a couple of the events that will list the reward as "Powerful". The gear that you get from doing those will be a few points higher than your current gear score. If you get a couple of pieces that are higher, it will then boost your gear score by a point or so. Then you can use all those currencies (which you may need to grind) to then buy gear from the respective vendors at your new gear score/level. Which will probably boost your score by another point or so. Then wait a week and do it again. If things work out well, you'll be able to boost your score a few points each week.

Now if you don't mind the MMO part, you may be able to speed it up a bit. I didn't do any PvP. Also, I did very few of the harder level instances. It's a complete crapshoot whether you'll get other players that don't suck.

Oh, and join the Guild. I forget who sent me an invite. That will get you another Powerful reward each week once you get a certain amount of XP for the Guild.

Lastly, one important thing to know... the gear score that you see when looking at your gear isn't actually the real one. The real one is behind the scenes and is made up of the best item level for the slot. So if you find a higher level weapon/armor that you don't want to wear or use, you can still carry it to boost the score for that slot. Also, mods do not count. So a weapon with a purple mod that gives +5 will actually have a base score that is 5 points lower than what you see.

Oh, and I should have added that you have to have a gear level of ... 290?... before you can do the "raid". Of course, if you don't care about that, then...

Black Lives Matter

Asharak

Post by Asharak »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 pm All the gear that drops is going to be the gear level that you are currently at. So you cannot improve your gear through drops. However, each week there will be a couple of the events that will list the reward as "Powerful". The gear that you get from doing those will be a few points higher than your current gear score. If you get a couple of pieces that are higher, it will then boost your gear score by a point or so. Then you can use all those currencies (which you may need to grind) to then buy gear from the respective vendors at your new gear score/level. Which will probably boost your score by another point or so. Then wait a week and do it again. If things work out well, you'll be able to boost your score a few points each week.
Like Nick, I decided to snag this because of the 100% off sale. I haven't started to play it yet. I'm intrigued, given how popular it is, but that description of the end-game just sounds absolutely horrific to me. Weekly events just to move a score "a few points"? Eww, no. If I play it at all, it will be to experience the main storyline over a few days or a week or so... and then I will move on to another game.

- Ash
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scenery is great. Visually it's terrific. The story is pretty fun.

But, yeah, the gear grind is horrible. It's probably a lot easier/faster if you actually play with a bunch of other people. Not sure. I only ever paired up with Tao. And we mostly stayed away from instances.

If you don't buy into the grind, and instead just look at it as a weekly "dalliance", then it's not too bad. I was doing that for a while. As long as you aren't actually trying to get to max gear score, then it's fun to get on for an hour or so each week to run around a bit. And get some nicer gear. You just need to stop playing each week as soon as there is no benefit.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, and I never get tired of listening to Nathan Fillion's voice overs. :D

Black Lives Matter