Destiny 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Asharak

Re: Destiny 2

Post by Asharak »

TheMix wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 pm Oh, and I never get tired of listening to Nathan Fillion's voice overs. :D
See, now that's a part of the game I can get behind. If only I hadn't already been informed by the internet / a friend who played the game already about his fate.

- Ash
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know his fate so thanks for that.

As for the game Ive owned it since new and on sale but played very little. If you guys wish to form a big old group and do the missions I could always reinstall to help out. It might be fun with others. Always played alone and thats boring.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm I dont know his fate so thanks for that.
He has a mid-life crisis and decides to become the youngest rookie in the history of LAPD.

- Ash
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think you are thinking of Demolition Man.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got some legendary gear at 200 that I can finally wear now that I hit Level 15 (got it at Level 9). Without that, I'm getting drops in the 180-190 range. Based on 250-ish being end of the main story, looks like I'm about 3/4 of the way through.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Question - I got my Titan to XP level 20 and it said I had reached my cap and my XP bar turned gold. Do I have to get the expansion to get a higher level? I see a bunch of 50s running around.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Tao

Post by Tao »

Yes. Each expansion will tack on more levels.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks.

I like this game. If I had the time and a group to team up with, I think it would be fun for a long time. As a SP experience, though, I don't need more than the free game. I don't really care about the best gear and the story is decent, but there's nothing to keep one coming back long term. I'll probably play through the other two classes, but that will be it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Leaving Blizzard.net and moving to STEAM as of 10/1:

Which Destiny 2 purchases will transfer over from Battle.net to Steam?
The move from Battle.net to Steam will include a one-time transfer of ALL Destiny 2 content that a player already owns. These will include Player Accounts, Destiny 2, Expansions, Silver, Annual Pass, etc.

Can players pre-order Shadowkeep on Steam now and link accounts to accommodate the move later?
Yes. Players may purchase Destiny 2: Shadowkeep from Steam’s product page right now. On August 20, we’ll welcome PC players back to this page to begin the process of linking their accounts on Blizzard’s Battle.net and Steam to facilitate the transfer of content on October 1.

What will we find on Steam on October 1?
Current players of Destiny 2 on PC will be welcome to continue their adventure in Destiny 2: Shadowkeep, the next chapter in the story. New players will be able to take their first steps into that world in Destiny 2: New Light.

What happens if I don’t sign up to move my Guardians to Steam?
Unfortunately, Destiny will no longer be available on Blizzard’s Battle.net after October 1. We hope you’ll follow us to our new home to continue your journey. It just wouldn’t be the same without you.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Linked. Maybe I'll come back there once the move happens. Did they or are they planning to do any more storyline content? I basically blew through the story and then stopped playing once the grinding started.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

They say the expansion Shadowkeep is available on Steam, but I don't see it. Anyone else see or can find it?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think it will be available the day it migrates to STEAM (10/1) as part of the re-launch. For now, they just have the Destiny 2 page set up.

EDIT: If you go to the Destiny 2 page, there is a an "Add to Cart" option for
Pre-Purchase Destiny 2: Shadowkeep
Includes Shadowkeep, Season of the Undying and Shadowkeep Pre-Order Pack
@$35
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pre-load has started on STEAM for those that care and it's ~79 GB of fun.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

aaaand now it's free (PC, PS4, Xbone)

https://slickdeals.net/f/13418092-desti ... nload-free
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

They managed to make the new player experience pretty clunky. You are given a max level character and pretty much just booted into the world with everything unlocked. I can appreciate this option for experienced players but it seems an odd way to do it at the same time that you're bringing in loads of new players by going f2p. Apart from the grenade, the brief tutorial makes no mention of your other powers or how to use them. I didn't figure out until my second day of playing that I had subclasses with a variety of skills to choose from. Following the new player quest line drops you into a strike before it even gets around to offering the original campaign to play through. Today's victory was figuring out I had a ground vehicle. I learned to summon it by alt-tabbing out to find what key I needed to hit because it's not mentioned anywhere in the keybindings. (TAB then 'E').
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Do you not have the option to start at the beginning?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm Do you not have the option to start at the beginning?
Nope. You create a character, go through a very brief tutorial where you fight your way through the wall into the Last City and then it plunks you down in the courtyard with a 750 gear score, the city recaptured, the Traveler already saved and everything unlocked. You have to run over and talk to the Shipwright to start the "legacy" campaigns. Entire problem could be solved with a checkbox on character creation but that's not what they chose to do.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, that stinks. I'm not much for the endgame in MMO-style titles, but I really enjoy the process of getting there. It sounds like they've cut out the part I enjoy and just left the tedious bits behind.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, being honest, I already plowed through the storyline in that game and have no interest or gaming time to replay it. And certainly don't have the interest or time to grind through collecting 20 type II extradimensional alien left testicles.
Black Lives Matter
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:57 am Well, that stinks. I'm not much for the endgame in MMO-style titles, but I really enjoy the process of getting there. It sounds like they've cut out the part I enjoy and just left the tedious bits behind.
It's still there, you just have to actively hunt it down.

Once you create a character and go through the tutorial you'll get plunked down into The Tower hub. Open up your map and look for Amanda the Shipwright to the East of where you're at. Run over and talk to her to get the starter quest for the original campaign (Red Legion) and then continue from there.

On the plus side, the campaigns are also set to power level 750 which means that you can just go straight through the campaign story-line without needing to grind side-missions to level your gear score up to qualify for the next mission.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Gryndyl wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:54 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm Do you not have the option to start at the beginning?
Nope. You create a character, go through a very brief tutorial where you fight your way through the wall into the Last City and then it plunks you down in the courtyard with a 750 gear score, the city recaptured, the Traveler already saved and everything unlocked. You have to run over and talk to the Shipwright to start the "legacy" campaigns. Entire problem could be solved with a checkbox on character creation but that's not what they chose to do.
That’s a very unfortunate design choice. I was quite interested in giving this a shot, but getting dropped into the game at max level and having to work backwards to figure out what to do and how everything works has zero appeal for me.

I get that people who have done it all already would appreciate skipping the advancement steps, but forcing that option on new players is a stupid decision. I mean, even if you can still go through the story campaign, it seems like the carrot of advancement (gaining levels, unlocking power, better gear, etc) would be completely removed since you’re already at max level, right?

I might give it a quick look (downloaded the 80 GBs last night, so might as well), but I’m doubting it’ll have any staying power if it skips everything but the endgame. I usually suck at that stuff anyways, and endgame is typically where I quit an MMO...not where I start.

EDIT: in browsing Steam reviews this morning, it sounds like I’m not alone in my concern. The general consensus is that it’s great for veterans of the series, but is a confusing mess for newcomers. This particular comment seemed to sum things up very well: “If you don't already know this game like the back of your hand, Destiny 2's current release will feel like sprinting headlong into a brick wall while everyone laughs at you for not knowing how to teleport through it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

I was able to make it work for the most part. Once I got the original campaign going I was able to just follow along and play it like an FPS campaign. After I finished it I started going back to each planet and doing the main quest series for that locale. It's created at least a semblance of narrative progression and it IS a fun game to play. It's just a surprisingly major misstep in what otherwise seems a solid game.
disarm

Post by disarm »

There wasn't much hand-holding in Destiny 2 when it first came out either. I was new to Destiny with the sequel and had to figure a lot of things out on my own. It's a really fun shooter, so I wouldn't let these changes keep you away. One of my favorite things about it is that you can load it up, jump in anywhere and just start playing. It's a great way to get in a little gaming if you're short on time and just want a few minutes of fun.

Give it a try and I think you'll enjoy it...especially now that it's free. Just seek out the campaign as soon as you're set loose in the tower and enjoy!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've played enough MMOs and enough shooters that I don't doubt that I could figure it out. But taking away the sense of progression would really suck the heart out of it, and again - the endgame is my least favorite part of these types of games.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I don't think they've taken away the progression though...you're just starting at a higher level so that those who want to get quickly to the competitive, high-level content with long time players can do so. With the way Destiny is set up, gaining power doesn't really mean unlocking new abilities or weapons except in the very early campaign. It's more about collecting new armor and weapons, getting stronger versions of equipment you already have, doing more damage, and gaining access to more challenging content. If the free version made everyone start at zero, players new to the game would spend months trying to advance to a point to enjoy new content or competitive play.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ll still give it a shot, but like BH, I mostly enjoy getting to the endgame much more than the actual endgame itself

A sense of steady progression is important to keeping me engaged, and it sounds like they’ve mostly removed that until you start the end game gear grind. We shall see.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that spent a few hours with it on Battlenet, I found the game rather challenging to start - that might be why they boosted everyone. I am absolutely going to continue to play through the main story and have no interest in the end-game content. I was rather surprised after the character migration as I was not expecting to be power-leveled.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When it came out I played to the first planet...or whatever that one is you start way up high on blocks and teleport down to a desert like world was. Thats where I lost interest. But if I go back I dont want boosted I want what it originally was. So may never go back.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:19 pm When it came out I played to the first planet...or whatever that one is you start way up high on blocks and teleport down to a desert like world was. Thats where I lost interest. But if I go back I dont want boosted I want what it originally was. So may never go back.
You should at least check out the other worlds. I really liked the water world (except for the jumping puzzles). The scenery and music is fantastic throughout the game.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

disarm wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:15 pm If the free version made everyone start at zero, players new to the game would spend months trying to advance to a point to enjoy new content or competitive play.

Right, but some player don't care about the end game content. I find most end game content to be repetitive and annoying, not fun. Honestly, in most games like this I get to the point where I'm ready to play all the 'new content or competitive play' and either switch games or start a new character. For players like me, they're starting us off on the Game Over screen.

I'm not saying I won't play. I'm just saying that it is far less appealing than it would have been had I the option of starting off at low power and progressing. They could have made the boost optional, or they could have added a catch-up mechanic the way most MMOs do. It's a pretty well-proven solution to the problem they're attempting to solve.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not an end game player. I dont care for raids and what not in mmos. My favorite thing to do is make alts and play to the mid lvls usually. Some MMOs I have gone to the end but like in SWTOR it becomes boring where you just run dailies until you puke.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I think anyone questioning the changes without playing should just give it a shot. Without playing the game and seeing at least a little bit of how its systems work and the game is structured, I don't think you can understand how jumping in at a higher level really doesn't matter. It gives you the ability to jump into any of the previously released contents as soon as you want, but you can also still start at the beginning of the campaign and experience the story.

The game is free now...you have nothing to lose, and the shooting is too good to miss.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

disarm wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:59 pm It gives you the ability to jump into any of the previously released contents as soon as you want, but you can also still start at the beginning of the campaign and experience the story.
Do any of the rewards matter? Does anything you find or earn beat the stuff you start with?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I installed it tonight and took a spin. It took a bit to get a handle on things again. They changed up the interface a bit in places. And now we have Finishing Moves. Okay...

I did notice one of the weapons that dropped was higher level. I logged off and forgot to look at anything else. But basically you start at item level 750 now. As far as I can tell, other than that the gear is exactly the same as it was in the past. i.e. when you gear score was 30, you might get a weapon that had a gear score of 35. Now the gear score on the item will be 755. So it looks like progression is pretty much the same. They just did the opposite of Blizzard and did a gear score boost instead of smoosh. /shrug

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Steam tells me I've played about 4 hours, which is about 3 more hours than I was expecting. :) It's been pretty fun so far, even if I'm terrible at it and don't really know what I'm doing. I did start the main quest (which is quite fun), but I really enjoy running around doing Adventures (side quests, I guess?) or world events.

A couple general questions:
- One of my quests is to complete two bounties. The only ones I've seen are from the guy in the church in the EDZ (the dude with Balthier's voice actor), and they deal with getting a few "superkills" and "super multikills". I've blown up a bunch of dudes at once before...exactly how many do I need to kill to qualify for a "superkill"?
- Sometimes I'll see mobs with yellow dots above their heads. What's that mean?
- I'm playing a Hunter, any advice on a good subclass I should be using? Tried reading a couple guides about subclasses...may as well have been trying to decipher Egyptian Heiroglyphics, for all the sense they made. Also, are you locked into whatever you choose for your subclass or is there a respec ability? Side note: I discovered subclasses entirely by accident. Would have been nice if the game at least pointed you in that direction at some point.
- I've done a two Adventures that indicate an "engram" is a reward, but I haven't received one yet. Maybe I haven't progressed enough in the story yet?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:22 pm Steam tells me I've played about 4 hours, which is about 3 more hours than I was expecting. :) It's been pretty fun so far, even if I'm terrible at it and don't really know what I'm doing. I did start the main quest (which is quite fun), but I really enjoy running around doing Adventures (side quests, I guess?) or world events.

A couple general questions:
- One of my quests is to complete two bounties. The only ones I've seen are from the guy in the church in the EDZ (the dude with Balthier's voice actor), and they deal with getting a few "superkills" and "super multikills". I've blown up a bunch of dudes at once before...exactly how many do I need to kill to qualify for a "superkill"?
- Sometimes I'll see mobs with yellow dots above their heads. What's that mean?
- I'm playing a Hunter, any advice on a good subclass I should be using? Tried reading a couple guides about subclasses...may as well have been trying to decipher Egyptian Heiroglyphics, for all the sense they made. Also, are you locked into whatever you choose for your subclass or is there a respec ability? Side note: I discovered subclasses entirely by accident. Would have been nice if the game at least pointed you in that direction at some point.
- I've done a two Adventures that indicate an "engram" is a reward, but I haven't received one yet. Maybe I haven't progressed enough in the story yet?
1st - I think 3.
2nd - That's the new "finishing move" option. Basically an insta-kill melee attack that is separate from your normal standard melee attack. And apparently you can purchase new finishing moves. Though that's just superficial, of course.
3rd - I don't recall which sub-class I used on my hunter. But it really doesn't matter. Mostly you want to find which one seems to work best for you. You can change your sub-class at any point (at least once you are done the campaign - not sure if there are rules while leveling). Generally I just try each one out and try and figure out which is the most "fun" for me.
4th - Are you sure? That is, have you checked in with the person in the Tower/Camp that will decode them for you? As I recall, they don't show up anywhere obvious in your inventory. So I generally just check in regularly. I believe the person's icon on the map will also flash if you have something for them to decode. Or, maybe it's tied to the story. I don't actually recall.

Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Figured out the bounties. I had actually met the requirements, I just needed to go into the quests menu and click on it to "complete" the bounty. I apparently had 6 or 7 that I hadn't done yet.

Does that Finishing Move actually give you anything, or is it just for show? I haven't noticed anything different happen (other than maybe a second of invulnerability while the animation goes off), but maybe I'm missing something.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am Figured out the bounties. I had actually met the requirements, I just needed to go into the quests menu and click on it to "complete" the bounty. I apparently had 6 or 7 that I hadn't done yet.

Does that Finishing Move actually give you anything, or is it just for show? I haven't noticed anything different happen (other than maybe a second of invulnerability while the animation goes off), but maybe I'm missing something.
Well, it gives you an instant, guaranteed kill. I think it said that it is percentage based, so for bosses and elites, it is possible that it does more than a regular melee attack. But for most mobs, a regular melee is probably fine. And a boosted one is even better. Where it may come in handy is tougher mobs. You could hit them first with the standard melee, and if it didn't kill them outright, it might drop them low enough for the finishing move. Especially if the opening melee attack was boosted.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am Figured out the bounties. I had actually met the requirements, I just needed to go into the quests menu and click on it to "complete" the bounty. I apparently had 6 or 7 that I hadn't done yet.

I have some mod that guarantees primary ammo when I use a finishing move