Destiny 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Re: Destiny 2

Post by Sudy »

killbot737 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm You have got to be fucking kidding me. I dl'ed the demo and just found out YOU CAN'T REBIND TO THE NUMBERPAD.

FUCK YOU, BUNGIE.
What are you, left-handed or something? I didn't know they let people like that own computers.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Someday I'm going to write a game and set HJKL as the move keys (as vi intended), and let anyone bind anything except - QWER/ASDF. Those keys are "reserved, unavailable".
There is no hug button. Sad!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I ignored Destiny 2 because I assumed it was another multiplayer focused shooter. Because there was some buzz and there was a free demo, I played it a little bit last night, just to get through the intro piece, which was pretty much boring single player shooter stuff. I'll see what comes next tonight, but can someone tell me what makes this special? I am not interested in PvP, PUBG scratches that itch for me. Given that, is there anything here that makes it worth my time?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

After a few hours of play I got my initial character up to level 20. Having some mindless fun with it thus far, but every once in awhile after a public event, and we kill the baddies, I notice some white-ish glowing orbs around with the normal loot. Running over them yields nothing for me and they just stay there. What are those things?
-something witty-
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Orbs of Light to fill up your bar to your ultimate. If it's already full then you can't pick them up
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:22 am I ignored Destiny 2 because I assumed it was another multiplayer focused shooter. Because there was some buzz and there was a free demo, I played it a little bit last night, just to get through the intro piece, which was pretty much boring single player shooter stuff. I'll see what comes next tonight, but can someone tell me what makes this special? I am not interested in PvP, PUBG scratches that itch for me. Given that, is there anything here that makes it worth my time?
No.

I enjoy it because it gives me something I can play mindlessly for 30-60 minutes. For me it's a casual shooter that I mostly play solo
Last edited by IceBear on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:22 am I ignored Destiny 2 because I assumed it was another multiplayer focused shooter. Because there was some buzz and there was a free demo, I played it a little bit last night, just to get through the intro piece, which was pretty much boring single player shooter stuff. I'll see what comes next tonight, but can someone tell me what makes this special? I am not interested in PvP, PUBG scratches that itch for me. Given that, is there anything here that makes it worth my time?
I had the same impression of the demo. Well, that and it made my wrist ache after 45 minutes. I'll probably keep playing the demo to see how the multiplayer stuff works, but I'm not regretting not buying the game when it was on sale at Amazon.
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sudy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:28 am
killbot737 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm You have got to be fucking kidding me. I dl'ed the demo and just found out YOU CAN'T REBIND TO THE NUMBERPAD.

FUCK YOU, BUNGIE.
What are you, left-handed or something? I didn't know they let people like that own computers.
Turn off num lock and you can. I had the same issue though I think there were some buttons that I couldn't use still
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm getting that WoW feel right now where I'm doing missions that are beginning to feel more work than fun. Like coopasonic, I have another game (Overwatch) that is giving me the thrills that I need in a FPS. I haven't found the thrill for Destiny. I'm not knocking the game, more just saying how the MMORPG formula no longer works for me.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

See I don't like MP FPS (I'm just not good enough) so I haven't really played the MP stuff in Destiny. However, I do like blowing off steam by running around and shooting cartoons in PC games, so Destiny allows me to do that - just like Borderlands did back when it was new. I also don't consider it a MMORPG...I suppose I'm playing online and there are other players playing too, but since I'm pretty much never interacting with me they are just background for me.

I agree Destiny is grinding now, but hopefully the patch today (not sure if it'll come into effect until the expansion comes out next week) and on the 12th will help
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Does anyone else have an issue where your peep will sprint at random? Pressing the button works fine, but every so often I'll be not-sprinting but my dude just picks up and runs anyway. It's very odd. I'm also having an issue with movement keys occasionally getting "stuck" until I press them again, but I'll chalk that up to having to use autohotkey for now.

I do have another nit to pick, but it's a common problem with console ports so I'm grudgingly used to it by now. Some of the remaps don't carry over into the UI and menus. Like "F" for deconstructing an item. Should be a different key for me since I remapped it. Lazy QA and developers. Sad!
naednek

Post by naednek »

killbot737 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:48 pm Does anyone else have an issue where your peep will sprint at random? Pressing the button works fine, but every so often I'll be not-sprinting but my dude just picks up and runs anyway. It's very odd. I'm also having an issue with movement keys occasionally getting "stuck" until I press them again, but I'll chalk that up to having to use autohotkey for now.
No. It's probably you're weird ass control scheme you have :wink:
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

naednek wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm
killbot737 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:48 pm Does anyone else have an issue where your peep will sprint at random? Pressing the button works fine, but every so often I'll be not-sprinting but my dude just picks up and runs anyway. It's very odd. I'm also having an issue with movement keys occasionally getting "stuck" until I press them again, but I'll chalk that up to having to use autohotkey for now.
Of all people I would not expect you to be mocking game configuration options. Maybe I have arthritis? Maybe I only have two fingers on my left hand, or no hand at all? It is unacceptable that in 2017 a multi-million dollar game comes out that does not let you set the controls in any way the player wants or needs.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Turn off numlock. I did and use the numberpad (couldn't use the Enter key for using items so I mapped it to one of my side mouse buttons). Everything else works fine for me
naednek

Post by naednek »

killbot737 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:41 pm
naednek wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 pm
Of all people I would not expect you to be mocking game configuration options. Maybe I have arthritis? Maybe I only have two fingers on my left hand, or no hand at all? It is unacceptable that in 2017 a multi-million dollar game comes out that does not let you set the controls in any way the player wants or needs.
first it was a friendly jab :P 2nd, what do you mean you of all people?

Anyways, I agree if the game doesn't require the buttons to be used in their defined way, it should be customizable.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

That free trial has convinced me that I'm not interested in the game. Unlike Halo, which has viscerally satisfying, intense gunfights, where every encounter was a challenge (well, on Legendary anyway), here, you're basically either plinking away at bullet sponges or mowing down hordes of pathetic weaklings. I dunno, it just feels very detached. Maybe it's because I'm not playing it on a console.

And the MMO/loot aspect kind of kills it for me as well. I don't really like having to drop out of the action to examine loot stats. Same thing happened with me and Borderlands. That and the ever-respawning enemies, other players named "Left Nutz" and "Right Nutz" running around... ugh. Gonna take a pass.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

39GB client that took me 3 days to download. This morning, it's a 6.xx GB "patch". Are you f-ing kidding me?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

IceBear wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am
No.

I enjoy it because it gives me something I can play mindlessly for 30-60 minutes. For me it's a casual shooter that I mostly play solo
I just wanted to say that I verified Icebear's response. I played a few more missions. I got to see Titan, which was cool, but I don't think I will be buying this, at least not without a steep discount. I like the loot, but it's just not that interesting. I will keep it in mind if I see it cheap and need something to play though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Smoove_B wrote:39GB client that took me 3 days to download. This morning, it's a 6.xx GB "patch". Are you f-ing kidding me?
They're rolling out a major update to the game today that significantly changes a few systems within game...one of the rare large updates as they get ready for Season 2 and the first expansion release (also today).
disarm

Post by disarm »

Double post...
Last edited by disarm on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks. Just my luck. Between large client downloads and patches that are larger than my entire gaming collection prior to the year 2005, I fear the death of computer gaming for me is inching closer. For a while I could count on just buying the media old-school style and installing it via disk. Now, that's not even an option - though I did chuckle at the cardboard-shaped DVD that was included in the Destiny 2 retail packaging. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
disarm

Post by disarm »

I had to download the 6GB update on the Xbox One before I could play this afternoon, but it was totally worth the wait for one reason...upgrade to 4K HDR graphics on my Xbox One X.

The graphics upgrade is immediately and very obviously apparent...razor sharp textures, and colors that pop off the screen like nothing I've seen before. The lighting and color on Mercury (location for the new expansion) is stunning. I only had a an hour with the the game today, but the jump to 4K HDR has already been more impressive than I ever imagined. Destiny 2 wasn't a bad looking game before by any means, but this upgrade takes it to a new level.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bungie locks away some end game content unless you buy the DLC.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/07/ ... dlc-locked
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand if a map that's part of the DLC comes up then I can understand why people can't play it. Also the DLC raises the level cap and some stuff requires a higher level.

Not sure why they couldn't limit the maps to pre DLC for those that don't have it. Guess there were problems with matchmaking service?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 am Bungie locks away some end game content unless you buy the DLC.

They aren't "locking away" any end game content. The weekly Nightfall level is a level from the new DLC this week, so anyone without the DLC can't play it. Each week the Nightfall changes and it will be available again for people who haven't picked up the DLC.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Our local radio station like many other stations have a feature called War of the Roses... Where someone calls in suspecting their significant other is cheating on them. The radio host pretends they are sending them flowers and want to see who they would send it to. It's great because it creates many awkward moments.

Anyways, why am I posting this in a Destiny 2 thread... well, have a listen...

http://www.endonline.com/blogs/wake-call/war-roses-62
Toe

Post by Toe »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 am Bungie locks away some end game content unless you buy the DLC.

They aren't "locking away" any end game content. The weekly Nightfall level is a level from the new DLC this week, so anyone without the DLC can't play it. Each week the Nightfall changes and it will be available again for people who haven't picked up the DLC.
I am just a solo type player and the change means I can't do the weekly flashpoint when it is Mercury. So while its not technically locking away anything, it does slow my progress in terms of improving my character just because I don't want to purchase DLC.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Toe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:25 pm
Sepiche wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 pm

I am just a solo type player and the change means I can't do the weekly flashpoint when it is Mercury. So while its not technically locking away anything, it does slow my progress in terms of improving my character just because I don't want to purchase DLC.
Same for me. I'm at 292 power, so I'm kind of reliant on the weekly milestones to get worthwhile power boosts. This week, I logged in to discover that I had the option of doing crucible (I don't enjoy crucible), the raid (I don't have the time or online friends to do the raid), heroic strikes (I don't have the DLC, so can't), Mercury flashpoint (I don't have the DLC, so can't), and the clan XP thing. So really, my options were to do crucible and not particularly enjoy it, or do random crap until I hit my clan XP limit.

I get that they need/want continuing income, but either you should make the required DLC compelling, or just go ahead and charge a subscription and provide content. This thing of putting out mediocre optional DLC but gating enough behind it that it's effectively required is lame. Make me want to give you money with compelling content, don't force me to give you money for stuff that's blah. Especially when the game's only a little over a month old on PC.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AFAIK, every location also has daily challenges
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

They do, but those don't give you powerful engrams like the milestones do. I think those just give more faction tokens.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Pyperkub

Re: Re: Destiny 2

Post by Pyperkub »

Chaz wrote:They do, but those don't give you powerful engrams like the milestones do. I think those just give more faction tokens.
Yeah, I couldn't remember, but the faction ones aren't bad.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I thought the last patch helped resolve some of this
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

IceBear wrote:I thought the last patch helped resolve some of this
For the raid, not sure about the strikes/trials of the nine.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:34 am
IceBear wrote:I thought the last patch helped resolve some of this
For the raid, not sure about the strikes/trials of the nine.
Heroic strikes are still locked behind the DLC. I think it was just changes to allow people without the DLC to continue doing prestige stuff.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I don't see why. I thought they lowered the level cap and unless the strike is on Mercury you shouldn't need the DLC

Edit: Ah I see they didn't fix heroic strikes yet but the news article I saw implied it's being looked at.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Took a peek at DestinyTracker, and here's our clan. Curiously enough, I'm still in the top 7, despite a hiatus (waiting for the expansion, holiday traveling). Nice to see the PC peeps showing up.

Tao

Post by Tao »

I am guessing you sorted the Tracker by Power Level :) As to peeps showing up, I logged about 30 hours in the past few days and never saw another Clan member :(
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Tao wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 pm I am guessing you sorted the Tracker by Power Level :) As to peeps showing up, I logged about 30 hours in the past few days and never saw another Clan member :(
Yeah, but the last time I looked at it, it allowed sorting by experience contribution. After I poked around a bit, I couldn't find it again this time. :oops:

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My friends and I took a break for the holidays, but we'll probably get back into it now that things are settling down.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I freaking hate Titan :grund:
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez