PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by coopasonic »

I got 10th place in my first game... with no kills. I was killed by the first guy I saw after the initial rush.

30th place in my second game, but I got a kill.

I have gotten exactly one kill in every game since.

I have learned to switch to burst/auto as soon as I pick up a gun.

I have learned to not loot a kill in the open.

I have learned that there is no hurry to enter the circle. Shrinking takes a while.

I am not great, but I am enjoying it. As long as I can ruin someone's day I am happy. The matches turnover so fast it hardly matters if you die.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Someone stole my trike (gonna call sidecar bikes this because I want to) while I was out exploring, leaving me vulnerable to dome movement. I ran into the safe zone, got sniped, went prone, continued to get sniped and died in 2 or 3 shots. Never saw my attacker.

Like 90% of my play is like this. Is this interesting to anyone? I fully admit I'm just brain dumping after a match. If it's getting in the way of more useful conversation let me know.

Oh yeah, shadowplay/pubg notification: Death saved.

yay? I guess I can review to see if the shooter was actually visible and I just missed it. edit: Video never shows the shooter.

edit: I forgot the most exciting part of this game. I actually saw someone from far away as they were booking it across country. I went prone, took my time, ads and...emptied a clip in controlled bursts into the hillside. To the best of my knowledge I didn't hit him with a single shot. Sigh. In my defense I might have hit him, I don't recall whether I got hp xp or not. He jumped into cover after the first clip and he was far enough away that I simply abandoned him and returned to looting. I didn't even have a backpack at that point so it was the right decision.

edit: Lol, I still had the score screen open. hp xp? Zero. Gaawwdddd damn it.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:I got 10th place in my first game... with no kills. I was killed by the first guy I saw after the initial rush.

30th place in my second game, but I got a kill.

I have gotten exactly one kill in every game since.

I have learned to switch to burst/auto as soon as I pick up a gun.

I have learned to not loot a kill in the open.

I have learned that there is no hurry to enter the circle. Shrinking takes a while.

I am not great, but I am enjoying it. As long as I can ruin someone's day I am happy. The matches turnover so fast it hardly matters if you die.
I was just telling my son that I have 4 kills total across 20 matches. Hilariously bad. I tend to avoid people on the drop then seek out individuals now (although still stay way from furballs).

I have adapted to the circle mechanics very well, imo. Reading tips, I find I am already doing most of what is being advised. As you said, there is no need to panic when the circle starts to shrink. Thinking ahead and preparing for the circle to shrink, and even starting out across country so that you can make it on foot before it starts to shrink helps sometimes. Staying at the periphery seems a no brainer as well.

I too switch from single fire to burst/auto immediately now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This auto video capture is the bee's knees, although it did not capture my murder attempt. Probably because I never hit anything. Still...would have been nice. I can still use Shadowplay's built in video capture. I will do that next time.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This game is what I imagine the new GOP healthcare bill is like. :D

Sorry for the politics Red5, I know you lean conservative. My bad.

I am running across the country on auto-pilot as I type this. I will never escape the blue circle of death. It's all over but the decomposing.

edit: May have spoke too soon. It's fun watching the little blue bar chase the little white guy as he runs towards the little white square. (ui references, for non-players).

map markers need distance attached to them on the hud, imo.

omeffingG, a scope. I find a scope like once every 10 games or so.

frames per second hovering around 50, that's a little low for my liking.

Lol. Ok, that was a good one. Killed by a micro uzi as I booked it across open ground. Guy was prone behind a rock that I was using as a landmark near the edge of the circle. He probably had the same idea. I went prone, but he was RIGHT THERE and I died before I saw him. Saw him after I died as he started to loot my body.

I gotta find better things to do during long runs than alt-tab out to write here. Lolers.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

caught a guy with his pants down, went prone, couldn't see a damn thing, crouched, fired, fired, fired, he returned fire, I started "dodging" while still ads. Dead is me.

The pointy end goes towards the bad guys, yes?

Also, what the hell is the diff between an m416 and an m16a4 (or whatever. Close enough I hope)?

Also also, anyone got a quite explainer for the pistols? I get that everything is better than the 9mm, pretty much, except for clip size and maybe fire rate, but after that...

I...don't recommend slowing down the video to watch me aim in slow motion. Not good for my self esteem. I did hit him with 2 bursts from my m16a4. How anyone can live through that when I am getting 1 and 2 shotted (single shots) is beyond me. It's not like the game failed to register the hits. I only knew I hit him because of the blood splatter.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

OMG I love this game so much. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I just did a round where I landed at school. Solid spot btw as while it's usually contested there's tons of room and good loot. Anyway I get fully kitted out and head out towards the middle. Spot a guy scouting out a building and took him out with a quick burst from my UMP. Looted his meager findings and noted there was a running car there.

Leave the car and go scouting around as I felt I had time. Bumbling around and then notice the circle is closing in on me fast. I book it running behind the circle getting hurt all along the way when I remember the car. Jump in the car in just the nick of time and book it back into the safe area. Figure might as well get on the other side of the circle as that's the coast and others will be coming from the other side.

What I didn't notice was the gigantic ravine! I fly off the cliff dukes of hazard style bouncing off the rocks all the way down. I get hurt badly and only have a sliver of health left. Crawl out of the car and use my medkit. Woo I'm ALIVE! And then BANG headshot I'm dead. :lol: I laughed so hard my wife yelled at me that I was going to wake the kiddo.

CLASSIC
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Heh. I've rolled my trike multiple times now. I also ran my car full speed into a rock while looking at the map. That hurt.

Kids almost in bed. If anyone wants a game, I'll log into the friends list shortly.

edit: should probably look into the discord server.

Ok, I've created a quickie discord account, booted my son's from autologging in, and now I'm at:

CylusMaxii is here, and the OO channel has the OO graphic, so I assume I'm at the right place.

I'm just as happy to use Steam's voice chat though, if Discord doesn't work for anyone. I was lucky as my son had already installed the app, so all I needed was an account and address.

Toying around with stuff, I saw Brian's attempt to use Red5's invite was expired, but now discord has allowed me to create an invite that doesn't expire...now that I think about it, maybe that's a bad idea.

Here's a temporary invite: https://discord.gg/NAFbC

Oddly, you can't set the temporary period longer than 1 day.

It appears I don't have the rights needed to create a PUBG channel. If someone else wants to do it, great. I'll be sitting in #general for most of the evening, probably.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And...assuming I can convert timezones, it looks like the PUBG servers are down for maintenance for around another 45 minutes? KST to UTC to EDT seems to imply that maintenance started 18 minutes ago?

edit: Yep, they're down.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup. :( I will have a hard time doing a group except Friday and Saturday. Computer is in a bad spot and I'll be too loud. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Last round before it went down I had a skar and an 8x zoom, but couldn't find any ammo. So needless to say I died a horrible death. :lol: HAd the drop on someone, but no way to actually drop them. :(

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Octavious come find us in the discord channel when you can.

Good place to hang out and find other OO'rs LFG.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote:Also, what the hell is the diff between an m416 and an m16a4 (or whatever. Close enough I hope)?

Also also, anyone got a quite explainer for the pistols? I get that everything is better than the 9mm, pretty much, except for clip size and maybe fire rate, but after that...
M16 can only do burst fire, while the M416 has a full auto option. I think I read the M16 has the highest bullet velocity amongst assault rifles so it’s a decent fill-in for a sniper rifle role. M416 can take a forward grip and a shoulder stock, so I’d wager it’s worse than the M16 overall out of the box but potentially better if you can find all the parts.

As for pistols, 9mm has less damage but higher capacity. The P18C or whatever it’s called has a full auto mode. The 1911 takes .45 so it has higher damage but less capacity. The revolver takes a rifle round so I’d assume it has even higher damage but is slow to load.

I don’t think I’ve ever used a pistol past the first 3 minutes of the game, but if I find a P18C I’ll put it on full auto and keep it’s a last ditch backup gun. Actually I guess I have gotten into the habit of having a pistol out when I’m running for speed. You run the same speed with a pistol equipped as you do with everything holstered, so why not at least have a little something that goes boom in case you get surprised by an enemy behind a rock or something.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Red, I've got to get the video to you of the jeep driving over you. I just get it in camera (whatever the movie making term is) and track it erratically as it drives right into the tree. Red's between the jeep and tree for anyone reading along. :D And then you can see me totally shoot on either side of the driver for some reason that I'll have to explain to my therapist. I'm dead seconds later. In my defense, watching in slow mo, my scope JUST center's on his head when I die. So one more shot would have been a head shot. Before that though...ugh.

I think you're lying down, because I can't actually see you get smooshed, unfortunately. The videos are like 200megs for about 30 seconds of play.

I'm thinking of creating a youtube channel and just dumping the stuff up there. I don't really care if it's just short unprofessional clips, and it gives other OO'ers a chance to look at them without having to mess with dropbox or whatever. Whatcha think?

Anyone heavily into video have an opinion?

Oh, and it recorded our voice chat too, so if that's an issue I can see if I can pull audio out, but it's kind of fun hearing us chat.

It seems like our last match on the rooftop did not record though. That's weird, because it's supposed to be automatic based on in game activity, and it DID record our double grenade suicide, so it was working at least at that point.

edit: AHA! Idea. Just a sec. Ok, yep, I found the video of my death on the rooftop. It got moved because...reasons that nvidia and PUBG will have to explain. The bad part is that the auto-video stops when I die. So I don't have any video of you shooting at the dude or melting to the dome. The good part is that the shadowplay thing IS still recording, I just need to save manually. I can do this at any time. Right now I've got it set to 2 minute clips, but in duo mode I'll set it larger because things still happen after I die, apparently, that are worth recording.

I'll look into the youtube channel tomorrow. I'm not a video guy and don't know a thing about any of this. I still think there is some value to having a crappy channel with unedited in game clips, especially since the video quality is identical to the in-game quality (which I have quite high) AND it has our voice chat captured, which adds a certain amount of personality and personalness to the whole thing.

More fun later!
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Double grenade suicide + me run over by a jeep = win.

That was a great time, I'm glad you picked it up and thanks for playing.

That last round was definitely the best--there were just too many moving parts there right before you died.

The blue attrition damage was just too much for me to overcome and at that point there were at least two other players I think that knew where I was.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yep yep, game is at least twice as much fun when you have a partner you can helplessly watch get murdered before meeting the reaper yourself.

I just started a new game and it was in duo mode. It randomly matched me with some guy. I didn't even know any of this until I could see his chute icon on the map. I was like, well that's a glitch. Why is it showing me a partner icon when I'm solo...oh. I bailed. Sorry random stranger, but we were many km apart and I wasn't looking for a tag team match.

I see as part of the shadowplay interface a "share" button. Considering there are logins for google, facebook, something, somethingelse, something something else, I think I could literally post the videos from within the game as we're playing.

This is all new to me, but holy crap that seems slick as hell.

There is also a streaming section to the interface/configuration that I have not looked at, but clearly Nvidia is trying to get a piece of the live game streaming market. When I think about streaming, I realize posting videos from within the game while playing is sort of archaic in comparison. Still, I'm slowly coming into the 2010's. I might just arrive by the time it's the 2020's.

The idea of getting 2 other OO'ers going and the ensuing chat hilarity that would probably occur, has turned me into a convert. Time to proselytize until we get more converts into the fold.

Brian, you know you want to murder strangers with some OO help. Join us! One of us! One of us!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Got kind of obsessed about youtube, clicked on stuff until youtube said "ok".

This link should have what we discussed, Red, by the time you see it.

Audio on my end seems low. Quality seems lower than I expected too. If it's going to be lower rez than uploaded, I will probably start pre-shrinking to reduce upload size and time. Apparently you can crank the rez up on youtube, but who's gonna do that?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Hah, I love that the last thing you hear is you saying 'I am NOT showing you that video.'
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

:D

I warned you. I warned everyone. Partner with me at your peril.

I do not have video of our 2 long range kills or your dome death for some reason. :(

I do have video of me dying 5 feet from a dude with my Uzi stuck on single fire, but no one wants to see that. :P
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Redfive wrote:Hah, I love that the last thing you hear is you saying 'I am NOT showing you that video.'
+1

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Because of you damn people and this game I need a decent headset. The one I have is very old and was likely exceptionally cheap, the foam is coming off on my ear. :P I don't want to spend hundreds on a headset though. Thoughts?

This morning I figured I would get in a quick match before I sent the kids off to school. I mean no worries, I will die in no time and send them off... 15th place after about 30 minutes. The kids were a little bit late getting out the door, oops. (no kills)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Watch Woot. They have headsets on sale all the time. Since without going to the store, I have no way to tell how comfy a headset is going to be, I like to pick them up as cheap as possible. :D

Currently I use a Turtle Beach one that I got off Woot. Today there are a couple of Hyper-X ones, but they aren't that cheap.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I watched a video called salty kills this morning. I've never been more happy to have turned off in game voice chat. Holy shit, toxic. Toxic, damaged humans. I hope at some point in the future I can ruin the day of some of those guys, even if only by distracting them as a target while a better player ganks their sorry asses.

For the record I use a 20 dollar headset when chat is needed instead of my 300-400 dollar 2.1 system. In some ways the headset is better because it isolates the sounds from background noise. If I were willing to crank the 2.1 system to 11 that would be better, but the house would shake and I have young kids and it would generally be disruptive. Plus I'm old. Loudness upsets me.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

GreenGoo wrote::D

I warned you. I warned everyone. Partner with me at your peril.

I do not have video of our 2 long range kills or your dome death for some reason. :(

I do have video of me dying 5 feet from a dude with my Uzi stuck on single fire, but no one wants to see that. :P
We got 12th in that last round, not bad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I was just happy that I could look down sights, pull the trigger and having the target die instead of me. I swear I point the wrong end of my guns at my targets.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TheMix wrote:Watch Woot. They have headsets on sale all the time. Since without going to the store, I have no way to tell how comfy a headset is going to be, I like to pick them up as cheap as possible. :D

Currently I use a Turtle Beach one that I got off Woot. Today there are a couple of Hyper-X ones, but they aren't that cheap.
I am impatient. There was a HyperX Cloud II on PrimeNow that I could have delivered before I get home today. There were some reviews complaining about the mic, but hey that's your problem, not mine. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Then we'll see you tonight (and hopefully hear you)!

Make sure you wear something bright or shiny.

Now we need a fourth--Octavious? Anyone?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I'm in "Katrina". This is Red's name for the flooded town in the top part of grid D:L (it's D:L Red, for the record) and I hear a door slam upstairs. I had slammed my own door, so...yeah. I'm creeping up the stairs, round the landing and bam, we're both in each others sights. Well, rounds were fired, blood was splattered but we're both still alive. I stick around downstairs but realize this is a huge waste of time, I don't have a backpack yet, I have nothing but an m416. I bail. I hear a grenade being used. Don't ask me how I know, I can't even remember what it sounds like. It's a smoke grenade. No problem. Except I'm 1 house away now and on the second floor, yet I'm completely covered in smoke. I don't understand it at all.

Anyway, I make my way to a rooftop, find a 2x and an 8x(!) scope. I'm now all scoped out. But time is not my friend, I check the circle sitch finally and realize I am totally screwed. Oh well, I start to book it. I'm out of town and crossing country when I see a helmeted dude 150m ahead of me. 8x scope time! We're both gonna die to the dome, so what the hell. Full auto still :/ Ping. Ping Ping Ping. I must have hit him 4-5 times, no kidding. Still no kill. One was almost certainly a head shot, scope was tight on his helmet. He's in cover. I can't see him. I think he's in a bush, I just say "fuck it" and start firing into the bush. I get the kill. Yay. Except I think it might have been the dome that finished him off, I'm not sure.

I run up and loot his body but I'm almost dead so I can't spend any time there. I grab bandages, use 1, then continue running. I die, alone, in an empty field, because an arbitrary blue circle decided it was my time. I still had bandages. :/

Couple of comments on the auto-highlights recording. It recorded my kill, and it recorded my death. It did not record the firefight on the stairs, were we both took damage. Honestly I think any shooting event should be recorded, but if not that, any shooting event where at least 1 person takes damage should be recorded. But it wasn't, so I'll have to do it manually (which is all of a key press. Well, alt-F10 actually).

Also, I just tried "sharing" the kill video view the in-game shadowplay ui. It attaches all kinds of Nvidia branded tags, descriptions and whatnot, but I wanted to see how it works. I'll probably avoid doing that in the future. I'm still getting a handle on things, so if random videos show up on the youtube channel, that may or may not be intentional. I don't talk to myself (that I'll admit to anyway) so if they do, don't expect any commentary.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote:Then we'll see you tonight (and hopefully hear you)!

Make sure you wear something bright or shiny.

Now we need a fourth--Octavious? Anyone?
Yeah, no "3 man" teams, unfortunately. Someone added me as a friend shortly after you asked who I was Red, so I assume that person also plays PUBG and wants to team up. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but certainly a recognizable OO'er. I was concentrating on something else so I don't retain the name.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Was it me? I sent some friend invites out to you guys since I'm playing the game pretty often.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote:Was it me? I sent some friend invites out to you guys since I'm playing the game pretty often.
Almost certainly. Sorry about that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am not much for scheduled play. I play games a lot, but not often at predictable times. I can try, but YMMV.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You know what I hate? Being under fire, searching for my attacker, being unable to find him, dying, having the camera pull back from my corpse, only to see my attacker standing 5 feet to my left. STANDING 5 feet to my left.

DAMN. IT.

In my defense, I took fire, dove prone, took cover behind a tree. saw a shot land and got a general direction of the attack, put the tree between me and shot direction. But then I took a hit in the leg that I assumed was from a different angle, I repositioned and looked in the wrong direction while the guy walked up and capped me from the original direction. Stupid leg.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

wonderpug wrote:Was it me? I sent some friend invites out to you guys since I'm playing the game pretty often.
Yes and I remembered that you sent the request after I posted, didn't mean to leave you out!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

coopasonic wrote:I am not much for scheduled play. I play games a lot, but not often at predictable times. I can try, but YMMV.
This is me exactly. I'm good every night, I just don't know what time.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Excellent gun battle at the top of the stairs, through a door. auto-shotgun versus m416. Frag grenade, smoke grenade. I totally lost. But at least some pellets hit him first. I tried to shoot through some flimsy drywall. Nope. Tough as steel.

Lost, but was fun, and tense. Bit of a stand off.

The Highlights only capture about 30 seconds before a death, so if it's a long firefight, it won't capture that.

For the record, anyone with a modern gtx nvidia card has this stuff built in. Learning curve is incredibly shallow just to get stuff working. A bit steeper if you want to do specific things.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Are you posting these vids somewhere?

The link above (last time I checked) was just a vid of our hijinks when I got run down.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Redfive wrote:Are you posting these vids somewhere?

The link above (last time I checked) was just a vid of our hijinks when I got run down.
If you click on his name, you can see other videos that he's posted. Looks like just 2 at the moment.

Black Lives Matter