PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by Octavious »

Looks like they rolled out another patch to crack down on cheating. I guess I wasn't crazy when I thought everyone and their mom was always pulling off amazing shots. Played tonight and I didn't feel totally cheesed even once. It really sucks when you don't know if you are playing on a level playing field.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Had to go to another appointment and decided to get a quick PUBG game in before I left. Dropped into Katrina with another dude. The rooftop I landed on had no weapons. The one the other guy landed on, did. I ran for it when he started firing a pistol at me.

Like 3 buildings later I find something that isn't a grenade. Tommy gun. Better than nothing, so I start looting in the direction of the dude. I see him first, but he's medium distance. You don't realize how serious a kick the tommy gun has until you try to hit with it at range on full auto. Pretty sure I hit him but he doesn't go down. He's on a rooftop with a low wall around the edge, I'm in the water (slow, little to no cover). I charge and reload while he's in cover. He repositions while I pull the trigger in short bursts with the intent to suppress. It sort of works and he repositions again. I see him pop up to the left of my reticle, so I swing my barrel in his direction (aimed, but not ADS) while crouched and start strafing left. I start firing as the barrel moves, and concrete dust pops up as I spray the wall. The kick plus my turning has the bullet holes trailing up and to the left. Which is perfect because it trails right over his body to his head. Down he goes to a tommy gun headshot. Sweet.

I review the kill tape later, and there is a line of bullet splashes that starts ahead of me, passes me on my right (I was strafing left) and ends behind me. Escaped death by inches.

Had a pretty good shootout later on but my helmet was gone from earlier and despite hitting him center mass twice with an SKS and 2x scope, I'm the one who died.

That was a FUN one. Rank? #44. Heh.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Last two nights were way better than last week. If this has anything to do with them banning more people I don't know, but I had a blast the last two days. I don't mind getting my ass handed to me, but when I die on site to a guy 200m away over and over I start questioning my life choices. :lol: In the last two days I had a ton of long prolonged fights that just weren't happening before. My fav. last night was by the school. I cleared out a few apartment buildings and see a guy running around outside. I quickly threw a smoke grenade at his general direction just to get him to move. I then tossed a couple of grenades and sprinted at full speed around the back of the building and in full sprint took him out with my tommy gun as he was looking out the front door for me. :lol:

From watching peoples feeds and from just trying it myself. Keeping moving and moving fast is generally the best approach. Especially in FPS mode. I run out in open fields A TON and almost never get shot at, because if I already cleared my back and I don't hear a car they aren't catching me if I'm running full speed. I figured this out from watching Shroud. I always wondered why he was running full speed and not looking back much. Well duh we all run the same speed. If they aren't there now they won't be there later.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Yup. Running away from a location has never been a problem for me.

My problems stem from stopping and having someone catch up or someone plinking at me from my sides while I run. It's very rare for someone to be chasing me - probably rare enough to 'stop worrying about it' but I still do. I'll stop and then turn around and scan behind me before scanning ahead of me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't quite understand what you guys are talking about.

The area behind you is by definition cleared, or at least you passed through it and either encountered someone or passed through unmolested. While I sometimes watch the circle closing behind me to see if I can find any stragglers trying to catch the circle, I'm almost always looking forward and to the side. Obviously this depends on where the most cover is and where people are likely to be hiding.

Guys like wackyjacky (and shroud, presumably) literally clear everywhere they can see. If they can see it, they can see if someone is there. At least on their videos, which of course are almost always wins. Who posts dying shortly after the drop at rank #87? I can guarantee you every awesome streamer you've ever watched dies way more than they win. That's the nature of the game. They are so good however, that they win a lot more than most people too, so they have lots of wins to post. They still die a TON though.

Good players go towards gunfire and make sure BOTH guys are dead before moving on. I don't know how many wackyjacky videos I've watched where he tells you exactly what he's doing, and it's often moving to an area to make sure no one is there. Once it's clear, he just assumes he never has to worry about it again, so he can focus elsewhere.

Shroud is a big enough dick that I have no urge to generation revenue for him by watching his stuff. He's a pretty terrible human being. At least his public persona is. There are plenty of people who are friggin' awesome at the game that I know I'm not missing out. Not to mention he shows up in other peoples' videos too, so I still watch him sometimes, even if it's not intentional.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Can't say I pay attention to him enough to know that he's a terrible human being. Seems fine in the videos I've watched. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Gibson seems pretty awesome in Braveheart too. :wink:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 pmThe area behind you is by definition cleared, or at least you passed through it and either encountered someone or passed through unmolested.
I think the mentality in checking behind you might rely heavily on how much you might sneak up behind someone else. I've looked back through my posts in this thread and found a number of incidents where I describe sneaking up behind people - following them deliberately and patiently - and finally killing them when they thought they were safe as no one was behind them. I might just always assume someone else is doing the same thing to me. :D
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Sniped someone from the top of the prison with a crossbow. #lifecomplete. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sweet!

I still pick it up on occasion in the hopes of getting a kill with it

Never come close.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The site on it is actually quite good. If they aren't moving I certainly can do some damage with it. The one really hard thing is that it's pretty much impossible to see where you miss. I wanted to go run down and check the body to see where I hit him, but didn't have time. :( I bet he was pissed. :lol:

I'd now rate myself above average. I finally have all my settings to where I don't feel like I need to adjust them, and I"m not forgetting to go into aiming before shooting in tense situations. My biggest problem now is just performance. My computer can't handle it if I drop with the big groups. My video card is fine, but the rest of my computer is way too old. I just don't see my having the money to upgrade it anytime this century. :( Wish this would come out for the PS4.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Express, October 2nd
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds developer Bluehole is said to be in talks with Sony about a possible PS4 port.

That's according to a new report on Bloomberg, which suggests that Microsoft only has timed exclusivity for Xbox One.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fingers crossed. The added bonus is you can't really cheat on the PS4.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Octavious wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:58 am The site on it is actually quite good. If they aren't moving I certainly can do some damage with it. The one really hard thing is that it's pretty much impossible to see where you miss. I wanted to go run down and check the body to see where I hit him, but didn't have time. :( I bet he was pissed. :lol:

I'd now rate myself above average. I finally have all my settings to where I don't feel like I need to adjust them, and I"m not forgetting to go into aiming before shooting in tense situations. My biggest problem now is just performance. My computer can't handle it if I drop with the big groups. My video card is fine, but the rest of my computer is way too old. I just don't see my having the money to upgrade it anytime this century. :( Wish this would come out for the PS4.
I pitched this in another thread, so apologies if I sound like a shill -- I use CPUCores, on Steam, to help with CPU-intensive games and it really makes a difference. It's not on sale anymore, but it's overall cheap and if you don't find it helpful just return it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Sweet I'll check it out. I'm running an old i5 so it's really not shocking that I'm having issues. Since it's a Dell I would have to pretty much just rebuild the computer to upgrade it. :x

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Also first kill with a crossbow! It's strangely abrupt. I'm so used to missing that when the dying animation kicked in I thought he was still looting his victim.
The game is really frustrating me. I'm really tired of dying in engagements where I feel I actually am pouring bullets into a guy at close range, or a longer range fight where apparently everyone else has wormhole technology, and the wormholes open at my head.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Freyland wrote:Also first kill with a crossbow! It's strangely abrupt. I'm so used to missing that when the dying animation kicked in I thought he was still looting his victim.
The game is really frustrating me. I'm really tired of dying in engagements where I feel I actually am pouring bullets into a guy at close range, or a longer range fight where apparently everyone else has wormhole technology, and the wormholes open at my head.
I've found that it's usually positioning and crappy aim. There are crazyyyyy good people out there, but for the most part as of late I have been doing pretty decent. I really feel like they did something the last patch as I have been having a much easier time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife got a 2nd place finish last night. She had an R1895. She never fired a shot. 500+ PUBucks.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would be bored out of my mind, but to each their own I guess. :lol: I've been busy trying out ideas. Some fail in horrible fashion (Like when I camped a door knowing someone would eventually come in and didn't account for the door opening towards me and I shot the door and then died. :() Or when they work perfectly.

Hid in a bush and watched a guy saunter past me. As soon as his back was to me bam bam bam. Few minutes later I found another bush and in drove a car where the guy got out right next to me. Walked up again and took him out. :twisted: That really only works well in 3rd person games. In 1st person it's really hard as you can't see out of the bush very well.

Dropped in the prison last night and get the auto shotty. Ran around and took out 4 people in a minute before myself getting wiped out by a shotty. I think I would have lived longer if I didn't slow down so much. Where there's a million people around it seems running around like mad is the safer approach. :lol: Dropping in places like that isn't a great plan, but damn it's sure fun after you played a round where you spent 20 minutes sneaking to get taken out by someone you didn't see without taking a shot. :P

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

She plays it like a survival horror.

I play like an ambush predator. I'm quite happy to lay prone, waiting for someone to open the door so I can mow them down and take all their stuff, then close the door and wait again.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:11 pm She plays it like a survival horror.

I play like an ambush predator. I'm quite happy to lay prone, waiting for someone to open the door so I can mow them down and take all their stuff, then close the door and wait again.
I generally play a lot like your wife. As I got more comfortable I was engaging more, but I spent a LOT of time hiding with my heart racing.

I do the ambush thing a lot too, always closing doors behind me and when I hear a vehicle or other signs of life, waiting in ambush. Generally the person springs the ambush, I jump, jerking my mouse off target, and then die to a headshot.

I will get back to this game here in a little bit. I've had a series of must-play games come up, but PUBG is still my fallback.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have to find the video, but there was a neat little guide on stalking people. It's nothing earth shattering, but it gave me some good ideas. Like dropping in the towns NEXT to a hot spot and sneaking in later to wipe out the unsuspecting people. I tried this and it's quite fun.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

vaulting is on the test server. spoiler... It's awesome.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for the heads up Oct.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Green you will be in heaven. Want to jump over a wall? Just run up to it and hit the jump key. Same with windows. Thank god. The crouch jumping was so annoying.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 amThe crouch jumping was so annoying.
Man, I practiced and practiced and could still only manage to land about 10% of my window/wall jumps. This is a very welcome change.
Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Me: Yay! Now I can jump over a small wall every time I try!

Game: You know I'm still going to plug you in the head as soon as you feel confident, right?

Me: :grund:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's really well done. I have a feeling they will find a million ways that people will break things doing it but that's fine. There's a lot of updates on the test server. Well worth downloading and trying.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Guess I'm the only one who can't kick the addiction. :lol: Sold a red checkered shirt for 7 bucks. I don't understand this world, but I'll take it.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Very nice.

It's true I haven't played in awhile, but I haven't given up on it. I just need to be in a certain mood.

I find it much more fun in a team setting, but with everyone going their different ways these days, that's harder to come by.

The vaulting does make my life much better, plus it just feels better too.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I still play far too often, but my self-esteem is really taking a hit playing this game. I recognize that there is the slightest loss of speed on my end due to my connectivity, but that is unlikely to explain the entire nonstop chain of deaths I experience everyday. I wouldn't mind it so much if I was getting kills myself, but they are too few and far between.
Goo, I'd love to duo but my consistent game time is after midnight ESD. I doubt that works well for you.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Still play a lot, but the hacking is so annoying. You really have no idea if you got legit beat or someone is aimboting. Example last night I'm running around with a silenced rifle. I put like 3 shots in a guy and he runs over the hill. I come over the hill where he's a good 150m away and he's laying prone. I see two quick flashes and I"m dead from an UMP. I was fully armored and essentially every single bullet from the burst would have had to hit. 99.99% sure it was hacker, but you just don't really know. I really wish this would come out for the ps4 soon. I would never touch the PC version again. I can't stand hacking and it's why I generally avoid online on the pc. I just don't understand why it's so f'n hard to combat. I know they are trying, but it's certainly not working.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

That actually sounds pretty reasonable. Prone, presumably fully-decked UMP at that range with two tight bursts. It's unlikely to be a hacker if you didn't die of a headshot.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The UMP is a submachine gun. Killing someone farther away than a football field would be an incredible feat.

Of course it is the most accurate smg in the game, and can equip a scope, but you'd still need to account for bullet drop off. I'm not sure what the bullet velocity is off the top of my head, but it's not great. 9mm.

The problem predicting whether it's a hacker or not is that it's at least possible to make that shot, even if it's unlikely for the majority of the player base. Being possible doesn't mean it's probable.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've been killed by what seemed like absurdity from the UMP, and I've seen videos of people clearly using it as a hacking weapon.

In this scenario, I think it's possible if you ran directly towards him that he managed to burst-fire and hit your torso twice and head. If you're not wearing a L3 Helm, your face is vulnerable. Looking right at someone who's shooting can hurt.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:29 am I've been killed by what seemed like absurdity from the UMP, and I've seen videos of people clearly using it as a hacking weapon.

In this scenario, I think it's possible if you ran directly towards him that he managed to burst-fire and hit your torso twice and head. If you're not wearing a L3 Helm, your face is vulnerable. Looking right at someone who's shooting can hurt.
No. Open faced helmets are not less protective for the face. All helmets provide spherical protection.

There are plenty of tip sites and people who believe otherwise, so it's understandable that there is confusion about this.

While I don't recall specifically where I confirmed that all helmets protect the same areas, it was enough to convince me that I'm confident in correcting you. So it either came from wackyjacky (or someone else with reliable methodology) doing some testing, from the developers, or both.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I was wearing a level 3 helmet and a level 2 vest and was 100% health. :evil: Anyway I played WAYYYYY too much yesterday. Tons of 3rd and 4th place finishes. I have everything but the final 10 down pat. I just flipping suck when it gets down to 2-3 people. No matter how many videos and tips I watch I always cock it up somehow. :x

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife and I switched out at the controls pretty much all day yesterday while she recovers from a cold. No rousing successes, and only a couple stinging defeats. I did manage to win a firefight with the last burst in my Tommy gun magazine while inside the radar station that is east of the airfield. I felt pretty good about that one. I was gunned down trying to get out when the circle moved on me, only to find that someone had shot out all the tires on my buggy.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

:think:

I could have sworn I read that somewhere. Dammit.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:42 am :think:

I could have sworn I read that somewhere. Dammit.
You almost certainly did. Like I said, you can find guides that talk about how the open faced helmets don't protect the face. They are wrong (I believe. Like I said, I can't remember why I think they are wrong).

I'll see if I can find a definitive source at some point today.