PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:I never, ever get a sniper rifle (I think only the KAR spawns outside of the crate)
M24, MK14 and AWM are the only ones I haven't ever picked up from random buildings. The Mini 14 is practically common.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote:I never, ever get a sniper rifle (I think only the KAR spawns outside of the crate)...
The VSS, Mini-14, and SKS are also "regular" spawns that fall on the Sniper table. I've only found one Mini-14, but a couple SKS's, three VSS's, and one Kar98.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod and I agree, you need to get out more. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote:Paingod and I agree, you need to get out more. :D
By that, I suppose we mean drop into the red-hot zones. Anything with a marked name on the map is bound to at least have middling (level 2) loot, and 'Red' zones are going to have the best odds at finding sniper weapons, level 3 backpacks, and level 3 armor. It takes a particularly good drop spot to get a level 3 helmet as I've only ever found one before.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I find corpses are the best place to get level 3 helmets. They tend to be damaged by the time I get them. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote:I find corpses are the best place to get level 3 helmets. They tend to be damaged by the time I get them. :twisted:
Yeah, but where are the corpses finding them?!

I think maybe 80% of the people who kill me are wearing them, even in the mid game.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I never, ever get a sniper rifle (I think only the KAR spawns outside of the crate)...
The VSS, Mini-14, and SKS are also "regular" spawns that fall on the Sniper table. I've only found one Mini-14, but a couple SKS's, three VSS's, and one Kar98.
The SKS is a DMR (designated marksman rifle apparently). I'll give you that the VSS is a sniper rifle of sorts, but it's limited range puts it in a different class imo, not to mention low damage. The SKS is not in the damage range of the "true" sniper rifles in the game. Same with the mini-14. They are definitely accurate rifles that fill a different role than the AR's, but there only 3 sniper rifles in the game. The KAR, M24 and the AWM. The last 2 are crate only. The AWM used to have specialized ammo too, but I have no idea if that's still true. Oct has had one, maybe he can answer.

The crate sniper rifles headshot will kill straight through a lvl 3 helmet. Those other rifles can't. The KAR is only a little stronger than the SKS/MK14.

Considering how much trouble I have spotting people at distance, anything besides an m16 with a 4x scope is probably wasted on me.

As for getting out more, I think there is some miscommunication here that I hope the above clarifies.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote:Considering how much trouble I have hitting people at distance, anything besides an UMP9 with a Red Dot scope is probably wasted on me.
Fixed that to reflect me. I spot them, for sure. I just can't hit them. These people who see an opponent, crouch, snap to them, and fire in about 1 second baffle me.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Killed myself by rolling my bike like 5 times.

Geezus. Got damaged just getting on the thing one time.

That sucked. Had a KAR with a 4x scope too =/ head shotted the owner with my 45 to get it, too.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The really good players are quick scoping. They aim towards you with the scope down and quickly bring the scope up and fire. I'm starting to get the hang of it in this game, but I bloody wish I could switch it from toggle. I like to hold to scope and can quick scope really well doing that. :(

That and they are kids with way better reflexes and free time to get good at it. :lol: I don't see me ever going on a 20+ killing spree like some of these people can do. My goal tonight is to try out a AR + UMP9 silenced. Finding a silencer for the SMG isn't very hard and I think that might help me win those quick battles as they won't snap to the sound. That's the theory at least. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dueled a dude over a car. Won, barely. Raced ahead of the circle, cross the line, BOOM, giant red zone. I mean, HUGE. probably a 40-50 seconds driving to get out of it. I'm driving up hills, down them, over gullies, it's a mess. I spot a house, drive up to it, jump out and get mowed down by someone in the field in front of it. I couldn't heal up much after the first duel, since all I had was bandages and I was WAY out of the new circle. I would have died anyway, but woulda been nice to shoot back once at least.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Heya

So, I'm still no better off than I was before at getting things to work (although I have some ideas). On the off chance I actually do get to play this, can someone explain the circle to me? I grasp the idea that there is a blue circle that constricts inwardly in a somewhat unpredictable fashion but at predictable time rates. What I don't get is the white circle, and quotes like Goo just above saying, "I was way out of the new circle". New circle? You mean that you were stuck in the blue area or something else? Anyways, if y'all have time I would appreciate it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Initially there is a white circle that covers a huge portion of the island. When the initial 5 minute timer runs out the white circle turns blue and a new white circle appears inside the blue circle. When the timer runs out again, the blue circle slowly closes into the smaller white circle. Once the two circles meet, the remaining circle turns blue and a NEW white circle appears inside that one and another timer starts. The white circle is where you want to be, the blue circle is where you are safe for now, but the clock is ticking and if you don't get to the white circle in time you start taking damage over time once you are outside the blue circle.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Coop's explanation seems pretty clear. Does that help?

Keep in mind that the map will also show a red, filled in circle that is unrelated to the circle mechanic. The red circle is an area that will receive random artillery/bombing. You are completely immune if you are inside a building, otherwise it's almost always an instant death if it hits you. As it is random, you can often run right through a red circle and live, although it's not something I would do unless I had no choice.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Here's the snipe.

https://youtu.be/gZ3QiQoVMwM

This is the one from the other day where we killed each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1e5sEvFiG4
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That was a helluva shot.

I don't see anything particularly weird about the rendering there Oct. It looks like he's on a raised area, like a tiny ridge, plus you're elevated as well. The contrast is pretty huge, and like you said, he stands out like a sore thumb.

I guess I don't have an opinion on that particular view. My eyes aren't good enough to know if he should be more camouflaged or not. He's dressed in dark clothes in the middle of a light yellow field. So...I don't know? If he was that visible on a grassy hill I'd think something was up. As Red points out, there was a dude prone and crawling right in front of my camera about 40-50m away and I couldn't even see him until he was pointed out to me, and even then it took a lot of searching to find him.

If I remember correctly, that grass was fairly light coloured as well, but dude blended right in.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I can't kill anything today. So annoyed. Silenced m16. Hit the guy like 10 times and didn't die.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Heading to discord. Available for some rounds if anyone wants to team up. Don't be shy.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm a hoy mess today not sure how useful I would be lol.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Another great duo with GreenGoo.

2nd place..ugh.

Came down to the last circle and I was in..guess the other guy was too but I couldn't see him and he got me with a grenade....just heard it hit the ground and saw it roll right near me..great throw.

So close.

5 kills on that one.

GG: if you have any of that final stuff would love to see it on Youtube
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah. Had turned off mic recording, so the videos of us Red are just you talking, 1 side of all the conversations.

Whoops.

I have the grenade landing on you. :D

Since I didn't get the kills, just damage, it didn't record much at all, unfortunately. My one kill I see a notification that you killed a guy too, which dropped my "knocked down" target, so they were a pair. Considering we each dropped 1 within about 5 seconds of each other, in different parts of the map (i.e. it was 2 x 1v1's instead of 2v2) it was kind of cool.

I'll post something in the morning. Like I said, nothing too exciting, except the grenade :D
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Last night I did an 'honorable' thing. Two of us landed next to a SUV, we both hopped in - but I'm driving. I wanted to go to the Mansion and see what it was about, but I did not want company. Just up the road ... another car? Pull up next to it, stop, my passenger gets out - looking back and forth, really confused, like there must be some trickery afoot - and I drove off into the sunset. Another day I might have tried a punch duel. That time I just wanted to explore. They seemed to understand and drove away in a different direction.

The Mansion seems to have an okay loot table, similar to an Apartment building. It's more remote, though, so that's worthwhile. I checked every building there and found 3 different AR's and a couple Level 2 backpacks/armor/helms and an SMG Silencer (but no SMG!) but nothing that knocked my socks off.

I also took the time to run well off the beaten path and scour half of the Quarry with no one around. Also pretty average loot. Level 2 stuff, a couple SMG's, lots of Stun/Smoke grenades, maybe one AR.

In terms of getting set up early, I think landing on an apartment building - in a town, by the school, anywhere - gives you a good, modest solo setup with low stress. Most often, I get a whole building to myself. They always have a back exit. You usually find at least one AR and/or SMG. Almost always a shotgun. Usually a level 2 Helm or armor. Moderate amounts of healing supplies... just no Sniper weapons. It's pretty quick to clean out the building and loot something like 24 rooms rapidly and then move out to start working the circles and looking for people. It's not a great start, but it's a very workable one.

Made it to #2 last night, taking two people down to get there. Neither was a long-range kill. The first was a stalker kill, where I saw someone looting a building and snuck in behind them - greeting them with M164A burst fire at close range. The next was in the second-smallest circle. I was right against the wall - a hair backwards and I'd take damage - and laying in the grass. I was swinging the camera around in 3rd person and caught someone crouched behind a rock. I scoped in and saw nothing but the edge of the rock, but knew he had to be there and plugged a few rounds into where he should be. Success! The victor caught me with a random grenade - I don't think either of us knew where the other was. It blew up near me and sent up a blood spray he keyed in on and shot at. I had thrown out all my grenades previously, but didn't score a hit. I did use three flashbangs to get up and dart in the direction of the rock, but just didn't get to it.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Um, you can shoot people in the car, while a passenger. Or at least you used to be able. Not sure if that's still the case.

This is the second time you've mentioned having passengers in a solo game.

Not sure if you can punch while sitting.

I believe it's done by switching to first person mode (v I think). If you can't get them in LoS you can switch seats using ctrl+1/2/3/4.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Good to know. It's only happening when we land and everyone's still naked. It's a rush to see who can get to the car first. No guns, no pans, no crowbars. I'll try going 1st person if it happens again and punching.
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm just flat out terrible in close quarters. I think I'm just going to drop into the school 100 times until I get better. :oops:

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote:I'm just flat out terrible in close quarters. I think I'm just going to drop into the school 100 times until I get better. :oops:
You will learn. Your stats will suffer... but your close game will have to improve.

I dropped there once last night, almost accidentally. I wanted to hit the apartments but overshot them and didn't want to spend too much time in the sky circling back. I ended up landing on the ground floor instead of the roof (avoiding the instant cluster of 5 people up there) and was able to gear up before I bumped into anyone. I still caught one person in a killing field unaware. There were literally like 5 crates in one hallway and I snuck up on the victor. Then I got plugged in the back with a crossbow. I didn't know it was a crossbow, I just knew it hurt. It was only after I ran and healed that I noticed the arrow sticking out of my back. We played cat & mouse for a while, exchanging pointless grenades, until I left and ran off to get gunned down 100m from the school by a guy with an AKM. I still had the arrow in my back. :P
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

So you landed in the 'School of re-queue'?

:lol:

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In case you didn't know, that "never bothered" island in the northeast is actually the lobby. If you could get a boat and actually get there... would the guns all be there? Hmm....
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've never gone but from the maps I've seen there is a lot of loot there.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Red, here's what little I have for that last run. It's pretty boring, unfortunately, but it does clearly show the grenade landing in your lap, so at least we got that on video. :D

Red and Green #2

I had turned off mic recording for my solo runs (it was creating white noise) and forgot to turn it back on for our team-ups. That's why Red is talking to himself in this video.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I turn it off when I record solo. I didn't even realize it was recording my voice until that grenade video I had where I started laughing.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Redfive wrote:So you landed in the 'School of re-queue'?

:lol:
Man, I might as well move in there. :D
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

GreenGoo wrote:Red, here's what little I have for that last run. It's pretty boring, unfortunately, but it does clearly show the grenade landing in your lap, so at least we got that on video. :D

Red and Green #2

I had turned off mic recording for my solo runs (it was creating white noise) and forgot to turn it back on for our team-ups. That's why Red is talking to himself in this video.
Hah, nice. Clearly I was holding in a lot of tension considering my reaction when I ate the grenade.

That was a fun round..alllmost made it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Sorry I didn't join last night. Didn't see your invite until after you started and then I grew impatient to wait. :lol: I'm going to drop into the school on the non NA server about 50 times tonight. I'll jump on discord if I feel like teaming up. I certainly will over the weekend.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sold my first crate for $0.69 after fees. Thanks for the idea wonderpug.

I'm probably not going to be around tonight, but will check in tomorrow night.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Last night was ... abysmal.

I think I played maybe 10 rounds, and got 1 kill. I was testing out "loot rich" and "population dense" areas, or at least that's my excuse. A couple of chaotic and painful lessons at School. A few chances to give people items I found in Georgopol, checking out the Shooting Range. Because I was more focused on exploring and consistently in new territory, I was generally unaware of people as they killed me. A few times I rushed into ambushes in open areas, only spotting my killer when they came running in from off-screen to pick through my stuff. It seemed like 2/3 of the time, I was at the far edge of the blue circle and had to focus on running instead of stalking and surviving, often multiple times in a round.

I really seem to fare much better when I start remote and loot out a small compound and then stalk in with patience. The smash & grab game isn't clicking with me.

Death of the Night
All is quiet, and I'm running ahead of the blue wall. Up ahead, on the edge of a hill I see someone running between trees. I've been scanning around me as I run up and think it's safe to stop and engage. I get beside a bush, crouch, and plug him. It's not a killshot, because I stink. I fire a few more rounds and he ducks behind a tree. As he does, I hear a car engine. Crap. It sounds like an SUV is coming right up behind me, but I've got a guy in front of me. I scooch over into the bush, hoping I wasn't seen - and as the SUV comes into view, I hear shots off to my left and I drop dead - a split second before the SUV slams into my corpse. I went from a nice quite run to being the first person down in the middle of a four-way fight within about 10 seconds.

A close second is when I was being chased by the blue wall, at 25% health, and knew there was no way I was going to make it. Someone started taking pot-shots at me from behind. Knowing I was dead, I opened my inventory and started throwing my items out left and right as I zigged and zagged. At the end, all I had was my backpack. When the wall killed me, I watched as someone came running up and looted me. My biggest achievement was not passing on the Level 3 helmet, Kar98, and ammo I had found in Georgopol.
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Was intending to just play solo, but Wonderpug sent me an invite and we had a full squad for a few matches. Nothing spectacular occurred, but it was a fun little diversion. The firefights are certainly a lot more fun than in single player. The last match we had people all over the place firing. It was chaos.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

In my solo I was dropping into high pop areas and faired really well. I'll be doing that more often. It's just more fun and yo yo get better loot. Get tanked in the first five is better than sneaking around for 20 and getting ganked. When I drop in high pop areas I hightail it to get a good gun and then wait for a fight to breakout. And then pick them off while they are fighting. Works like a charm.

Some things that have been working really well for me:
Bushes - Use them, love them, sit in them. Seriously nobody checks the bushes and you can sit in a prime spot and just watch where people are going.

Smoke Grenades - I heart them. Guy was plinking me from the woods and i couldn't spot him. Toss a smoke grenade out in the field and he shot at it giving me his position. That didn't work out for him. :twisted:

Stun Grenades - I'm starting to use these more. Even if you don't stun them the bang throws them off. I was trying to get in a final circle and had no safe way in and I knew where the other dude was. Toss the stun at him and ran at the same time. Worked like a charm. Ended up taking him out later through a window.

Boats - Don't forget about the boats. We grabbed a boat in the one game and it really put us in an awesome position. It would have been even more awesome if I didn't tell them not to go to my fav spot. Which ending up being the final circle. :P We died trying to run across massive fields of no cover. I'm sure if we went to the other spot the circle would have been the other side because the game is a dick. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Octavious on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That's the element I'm missing maybe. I hear gunfire and go the other way.

I do enjoy the game. I'm just not sure the way I play is conducive to actually being good at it.
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Paingod wrote:That's the element I'm missing maybe. I hear gunfire and go the other way.

I do enjoy the game. I'm just not sure the way I play is conducive to actually being good at it.
That's what I was doing too until recently. Now it's like a dinner bell to me. COME AND GET IT! Try it out. Worst case you just die a horrible death earlier. :lol: Basically if I hear heavy gunfire I carefully head towards it and see if it's worth trying to plink them off. You can also just wait until 1 dies and the guy starts looting the body. I like shooting at them both which really confuses the crap out of them.

Holy crap I'm kind of a dick in this game. :o