PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

2 solo games, 2 top 20 finishes without ever pulling a trigger. One someone started firing just as I was stopping my jeep to get out and hide, so I was a sitting duck. I saw him, but I died on the 3rd bullet.

Second, I found an early vector and Kar with 8x scope. Great, right? Fog map. I never saw a single person after I picked it up. Died to the circle, after 1 good and 2 bad circles. I was about 5 seconds from the circle's edge after full out running empty handed for nearly the entire time from when the last circle stopped. So that's 2ish full minutes doing nothing but running. Oh well.

Played a 3rd game later in the afternoon. Dropped in the NW corner. Circle started in the SE corner and stayed there. I spent 3 circles running outside the playing area. I kid you not. By the time I reached the circle it started moving again and I was chasing it. Eventually I took a huge detour to pick up a jeep, which made all the difference. I still had to stop and heal twice while driving, that's how far out I was. Eventually I made it into a town in the circle. I climbed half a flight of stairs, camped on the landing so I could see up and down, while I used 1 bandage after another. After 3, I decided to look upstairs to see if there was a med-kit. In the time I stopped looking up/down the stairs, climbed 1 set of stairs, looted 1 grenade, a dude followed me up the stairs and shot me in the back. I sat on that landing for probably 2 minutes without anyone showing their face. The second I turned away, I got shot in the back. Either the guy was a master of patience or I'm the unluckiest sob ever. Considering I ran across the entire length of the island diagonally and lived, it was not an ideal way to go out.

3 games, 3 top 20 rankings, zero trigger pulls.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I was glad I got to play a round with y'all on Friday. I'm deeply apologetic for being a moron. In hindsight, I wasted ammo and drew attention by trying to shoot someone across the river and should not have thrown a grenade blind over a hill to try and 'help' Isgrimnur. That was a terribad idea. The only thing that prevented me from committing seppuku was that the zone border killed all of us, and I don't think my errors would have stopped that. I appreciate GreenGoo translating for me. While I do like hand jobs ... in that particular round, I was up for being a mobile distraction and driving that buggy around. I just couldn't articulate that very well as I ran past it. Early on in the round when I was knocked down, I was run over by that buggy driver GreenGoo killed. I had stopped and popped him in the chest at least once before he hit me. I suppose it was fitting for everyone to run past me as I crawled around in failure. :P
Octavious wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:48 pmHoly crao I'm a ninja in Battlefield 1 now. This game is like a super trainer.
I'm afraid I'll never be able to play Borderlands with a straight face again after this game. I've had to become better at FPS's than I ever have been, and in short order. I don't do any other multiplayer shooters, so I couldn't say how well the skills here translate, but I'm guessing it's like going to a bodybuilder's gym and then going back to Planet Fitness.

I played solo the rest of the weekend and had a few good rounds. My favorite things to do in the game seem to be driving, looting, and stalking. In that order. I love getting any vehicle and cruising with it. I know this theoretically puts a big fat target on my head, but very few people seem able to hit me - let alone give away their position by shooting at me.

My best round was started by landing north of Lipovka. I managed to land mere feet from a buggy. I used this to scramble south ahead of other people and liberate a few storage hangars. I then cruised down to the Power Plant (which was well outside the drop zone) to explore that and discovered even more hangars. Most of them delicious. I poked around inside the large facility and rounded off my grenade and healing stock nicely. Both of my Mini-14's had 4x Scopes, but only one had an extended clip and a compensator. From the second floor, I heard someone drive by. Knowing it was a concrete jungle with wide open areas, I dashed upstairs to look for a window and found myself on the roof. Even better. Below me, a naked woman wearing a L3 Helmet was dashing for a hangar I had cleaned out. I managed to bring her down with 14 bullets, the last dropping her just behind a warehouse. After picking her over, I swapped one of my Mini-14's for her SKS and took off, feeling pretty good. As the zones crunched, I caught one guy running across a street and took him out at around 150m. Later, I noticed someone else with a L3 Helm moving to loot a house. I snuck up behind a SUV and clipped him three times before he got into cover. When he popped out to shoot me, I plugged him a couple more times. Assuming he had to heal, I equipped my grenades and charged - throwing them in the direction of his cover while running diagonally. The first one fell short, but it triggered him to start throwing his out randomly. In the end, I was caught 20 feet from the tree I was running for and died. I hope he liked the trove I had. :)

I'm going to need ease up off this game a bit. I can't end the nights at 11:30pm with my hands shaking from adrenaline and then try to go to sleep moments later. It's taking a toll - like not falling asleep until well past midnight, even if I need to be up at 5:00am.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I had actually called for someone to toss a grenade past me, as the two guys that downed me were danger close. Your toss just came up a few feet short of effectiveness. No worries, though. It was pretty funny.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Right now I feel like all you "Forum Effectors" should pony up the $30 I paid for this game (twice). :horse: I feel like I'm spending my limited game time playing "Race the Blue Wall" on foot, and losing. I would love to end my nights as PainGod described, shaking from adrenaline. But even when bullets fly it has been interesting only twice, with me generally getting killed from someone nearby that I never knew was close. I know my Rounds are far from unique, but it's off-putting.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It does require some adjustment of playstyle. This isn't Call of Duty. Learning where to drop, how much time you have between closing walls, and how to use that to your advantage are all newish parts of this game. If you're constantly losing to wall deaths, you aren't giving yourself enough time. The map shows you where the new wall is.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Freyland wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 am Right now I feel like all you "Forum Effectors" should pony up the $30 I paid for this game (twice). :horse: I feel like I'm spending my limited game time playing "Race the Blue Wall" on foot, and losing. I would love to end my nights as PainGod described, shaking from adrenaline. But even when bullets fly it has been interesting only twice, with me generally getting killed from someone nearby that I never knew was close. I know my Rounds are far from unique, but it's off-putting.
Instead of picking a town or group of building to drop into take note of the major roads and drop near one towards the interior. On the way down look for a vehicle. Once you land and see where the circle is you can immediately head for the safe zone or loot for a bit out of the way and then head there since you already have a vehicle.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I like dropping on the SE side of the lake.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am I like dropping on the SE side of the lake.

I know that lake. I've been cliff jump / splatting with Octavious there. I jumped and he splatted.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Freyland wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 amI know my Rounds are far from unique, but it's off-putting.
This is really one of my only problems with the game as it is. I don't drop into a crowd because I like to explore, drive, and hunt people. I don't want a crazy melee. As a result, I spend a lot of time looking for cars, looking for stuff, and looking for people. Because of my playstyle, I might go 20 minutes without seeing someone only to be shot in the head by a sniper I never saw from 500m away. I had a round just like that last night. I got to enjoy the breeze on my L2 Helm as I buggied around the countryside, and with just a few circle crunches left, I abandoned the buggy, ran up over a hill, hid behind some trees, scanned the horizon for threats, went prone, crawled up behind a bush, scanned for threats, and ... "ThhWIP" ..............BANG. Headshot by AWM. I heard the bullet and was dead before I heard the gunfire. That was my whole round. Looting, driving, sneaking, dead. No adrenaline there. I believe my reaction there was "Well, that was lame" and I started a new round.

I think this is very much a game where you have to determine your own purpose. There are several ways to play. I've pretty much determined that I don't have what it takes to be a 50% "Top Ten" finisher with a 3.4 K/D ratio and 16% Win rate. I have to be happy in my niche. My sole objective each round is to try to find, sneak up on, and kill at least one other person. When I see someone running through a compound and know they have to hit two more buildings, I'll set up an ambush in one of them, or lay down outside the door I think they're most likely to come charging out of. That's the game for me, and that's my 'Chicken Dinner' ...
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I had a fun kill yesterday. I ran up to a group of three buildings inside the circle, looted the first one, then moved on to the second one. I heard a buggy approaching, so I moved to the wall closest to the sound. I saw a guy run from left to right into the building I had left. From my window, I could see into the other building through a side window. He runs into the building, moves in to loot, and frames him exactly in that side window, stopping dead. Four shots with the micro Uzi, and he's down. I didn't bother to loot him, just ran to his buggy and left.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Did you close the doors behind yourself? As I drive up on a compound, even one open door will sour the whole things for me and I keep going without slowing down. Ain't nothin' worth stopping and losing either my car or my life for. If I've been through three zone crunches, I just assume every building is populated.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, I absolutely close doors behind me. :ninja: :whistle:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 pm Oh, I absolutely close doors behind me. :ninja: :whistle:
If it's early and I'm confident I have the place to myself, I don't slow down to close doors. Later, it depends on the situation. Don't forget that a closing door is LOUD. That said, I'll often close the entrance door at a minimum, when in an area where I suspect others are around. It can camouflage which building you're in, briefly. If they saw me go in and they want to come get me, they can open the door first, which I might hear.

Like I said, it depends on the situation.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I was reminded of this door conversation in the one round I had last night.

The plane passed over the northern half of the island. I jumped and moved south. After I looted out my first building, a hangar, I ran south to a complex. When I got there, the first door I opened led into a barren room ... and an open door. I quickly backed out and listened through the rain for sounds of footsteps. Nothing. As I ran to the next building to listen, I saw a sedan parked in the central area, engine running. I see. I looked at my Uzi and lack of armor and calculated my odds as "Not Good" and instead ran off with his car. Further southwest. I found another complex and popped open the front door on the largest building. It too had been vandalized with interior doors hanging open. I got back in my sedan and drove further southwest, still inside the first circle. The long and short of it is that 90% of the placed I stopped or saw had been looted, front doors sometimes open, sometimes interior doors left open. I was basically following some twisted trail of cleaners until I stumbled on a very prominent building that no one had touched and was finally able to equip myself for combat. Amusingly, my only kill that round happened back outside the apartments near the school, where I ran down someone with my sedan before finally getting caught in the crossfire between two campers. I could have run the whole round naked. Instead I threw a Mini-14, L2 Armor, L2 Helm, L3 Backpack, and some nice Meds down as my contribution to the winner.

Doors, doors everywhere and not a building to loot.
Black Lives Matter

morlac

Post by morlac »

Redfive wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 am
Freyland wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 am Right now I feel like all you "Forum Effectors" should pony up the $30 I paid for this game (twice). :horse: I feel like I'm spending my limited game time playing "Race the Blue Wall" on foot, and losing. I would love to end my nights as PainGod described, shaking from adrenaline. But even when bullets fly it has been interesting only twice, with me generally getting killed from someone nearby that I never knew was close. I know my Rounds are far from unique, but it's off-putting.
Instead of picking a town or group of building to drop into take note of the major roads and drop near one towards the interior. On the way down look for a vehicle. Once you land and see where the circle is you can immediately head for the safe zone or loot for a bit out of the way and then head there since you already have a vehicle.
Game Takes a different frame of mind for sure. Sometimes I play it like I would in real life. Hiding the whole time and only engaging when absolutely necessary. Other times I like to find some early action and get down to business. The prior really gets my juices flowing when it gets down to top 20 where I usually end up. IT can be very nerve racking but satisfying somehow. The later I get way more kills but end up getting killed way quicker. I tend to not take those as serious, try new areas/tactics, or even goof off :) In both I find it best to get in the middleish of the first 1-3 circles as quickly as possible. You can usually get a good setup and be in a good spot to adjust slightly to the next circles. Guys chasing the blue wall make easy targets :).

I am finding shotguns more to my liking lately. In one of my goof off play sessions I went with two of them. The 6 shot one (name escapes me) with a choke for long range shots and then the double gauge for up close and friendly. Got 11 kills in 3 matches with nothing but shottys! One was particularly fun where I got 3 in the first 3 minutes. One guy was naked and the other only had a pistol but whatever they all go down the same. Totally different playstyle than my normal one of hide and plink from a distance.

I keep trying to find you guys for some group action but times aren't aligning correctly. I'm EST as well and I think you guys and CST and PST. Soon hopefully I get a chance to shoot you a all in the back!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

We are CST and EST and usually on between 10-Midnight your time.

We're Steam friends but I don't recall seeing you play.

Best way is probably to hop in the discord channel. We're pretty good about joining whenever we are available for team play.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So whatever they just updated blows chunks, as it’s taking me multiple attempts to get into a game now.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I was having the same problem. Oh well still having fun even if I suck at the game even after a million hours. Totally cocked up the last game. Shouldn't have suggested we go up the hill. Meh.. Maybe I should read art of war ir something.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 pm So whatever they just updated blows chunks, as it’s taking me multiple attempts to get into a game now.
I restarted my computer 2 or three times and it fixed the issue. I had 4 runs last night, all sucky. Well, the first one sucked more because I chose a spot that was on the opposite side of the island for the circle, so it was another game of the Running Man instead of the Hunger Games. But amusingly, I ducked into a shed to look for loot and as I came out a dude ran right in front of me. I don't know if he knew I was there, or just never went to the Paingod School of Stalking, but he sure wasn't facing me when he showed up. Unfortunately, I forgot to put up full auto, and bit it. The second two involved dropping near other players and just dying horribly and unequipped. The final episode was at the power plant. I knew another guy landed there, so I quickly got some reasonable stuff and went looking. He found me first, opened fire from somewhere but missed with everything. I *thought* I knew what direction he fired from, but never saw him. Then I crept around the inside of the warehouse-like building to maybe spot him, and at some point he just full-auto'd me. I never saw him. That aspect of the game is depressing. Likewise, I hate parachuting in... I want to get things going, and I especially hate watching 1 or 2 other peep's landing ahead of me while I just gracefully glide to the ground.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't enjoy getting 1 shotted from cover and never seeing my attacker either.

I love parachuting though. That is a cool part of the game.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Watching other people land before me is stomp-on-ground-hammer-desk frustrating because in that first minute, the seconds are small eternities, and when someone gets a 6 second lead on you, that's life or death.

I still haven't mastered it, but you can speed up or slow down your descent by aiming up or down and pushing "W" (or whatever is your "Forward" key) - a straight vertical plunge is the fastest and you seem to 'slam' when your chute opens, cutting an extra few feet off the drop. Any movement side to side or turning slows you down. If you're aiming further off the beaten path (of the plane), try and level out. If you want to go even further, deploy your chute early ... but be warned that a fast drop that gets a car can beat you somewhere if you gently glide there.

Sometimes I nail it and land right beside a door, facing it. Other times I'm tripping over fencing and falling off rooftops. The best way to start a round in PUBG is to sprain your ankle immediately... :doh:
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm amazed with all the hours I have played that I still get owned by people that I sneak up on and shoot. This game can be extremely frustrating and inconsistent in the results. I record a lot of stuff to go back and figure out what happened. I followed a guy around town and waited until he had his back to me going into a door. I unloaded a full clip from an uzi into his back and he didn't die. Turned around and killed me in two shots. That's beyond frustrating. I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:25 am I'm amazed with all the hours I have played that I still get owned by people that I sneak up on and shoot. This game can be extremely frustrating and inconsistent in the results. I record a lot of stuff to go back and figure out what happened. I followed a guy around town and waited until he had his back to me going into a door. I unloaded a full clip from an uzi into his back and he didn't die. Turned around and killed me in two shots. That's beyond frustrating. I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. :grund:
Yes, you are.

So am I :horse:

I know this because I can watch the best streamers (Summit1G for me) and I've probably seen him play 8-10 rounds. He's won all but 2 I think--that I watched.

He doesn't miss shots. He has outstanding situational awareness and he stays calm during a fight. I'm sure the fact that he probably has 1200 hours in the game helps as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I didn’t recognize the name, so I know it wasn’t one of us, but the guy who got the drop on me with his M16 last night managed to miss every shot in an open ground fight. My two shotgun blasts were less awful, and I enjoyed taking his stuff.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:00 pm I didn’t recognize the name, so I know it wasn’t one of us, but the guy who got the drop on me with his M16 last night managed to miss every shot in an open ground fight. My two shotgun blasts were less awful, and I enjoyed taking his stuff.
Sounds like you were dueling me, but I wasn't playing last night.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, playing PUBG is colloquially called "eating chicken" in China, from the expression "Winner winner chicken dinner" given to the match winner.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm FWIW, playing PUBG is colloquially called "eating chicken" in China, from the expression "Winner winner chicken dinner" given to the match winner.
Odd, any idea where that comes from?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Redfive wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm FWIW, playing PUBG is colloquially called "eating chicken" in China, from the expression "Winner winner chicken dinner" given to the match winner.
https://kotaku.com/the-origins-of-battl ... 1796870568
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm
Redfive wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm
https://kotaku.com/the-origins-of-battl ... 1796870568
I'm reading at work but does that article refer to 'eating chicken' in China? Not trying to be dense on purpose, I promise.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ah, musta misunderstood ya.

Try this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/com ... t/dogmrmx/
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Couldn't get anything right yesterday, so I was just messing around with ideas. On the initial drop I grabbed two shotguns figuring my aim with them is so bad that I can swap when the first 5 shots don't kill them. :lol: This worked exactly as planned. Someone jumped me with an M16. Hit them a few times and when they thought I was out of ammo I swapped and bam they were toast. I got a good laugh out of that one. I should be ashamed that it took me like 7 shots to kill them with a shotgun. Close range is not my thing. I'm just going to keep dropping in high population areas to practice.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Another 3rd. I think I was wedged between the last two. I took fire, took cover from that fire, then got hit from the other direction, so I couldn't figure out which side of the tree was best. I'm amazed the 2nd guy fired on me. The first guy gave away his position, and if #2 had stayed silent, he would have had a huge advantage going into the final 2.

Oh well.

Reviewing the video, my tree was pretty small and I think I just moved too far in the other direction. It didn't take much to be exposed and since I wasn't 100% sure where the shooter was, I moved too far.

I never did see the shooter, even when slowing down the video.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:36 pmI never did see the shooter, even when slowing down the video.
So many people late game don't bother with looting corpses. I do like to sit and watch my body when I have no idea where the shooter was so I can hopefully catch them running to my body so I can at least get a general idea of where they were. It's a rarity, though.

It's painfully easy to run past someone laying in the grass just off the corner of your screen. I know because I've been in the grass... :D ...of course, being in the grass only works if there aren't hills far enough away to leave you exposed to opposition snipers who see you laying on bare ground.
Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Doubt I'll be around much this weekend. I've been playing too much and we're hitting up an amusement park tomorrow. It's starting to a get a bit stale for me. I hope they add the vaulting soon. I think that would help me a ton even if I have started to get the hang of the window crouch jumps. For those who can't figure it out, it's just W C and Space at the same time. It feels a bit weird at first, but then it becomes easy once you get it down a few times.

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Wow, I had no idea the white school shirt I pulled from a crate the other day was going for $10 on Steam...

At 50 plus hours played I already feel like I've more than gotten my money's worth but now with the items I've sold I've effectively paid about $18 for it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's nuts!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

CQC with an s12k vs another shotgun (2 shot or 5 shot, not sure). I had him dead to rights, but 2 quick shots silhouetted him against the wall, then I took 1 shot and down I went. Sigh. In my defense he had wedged himself in a place that I couldn't imagine anyone being and while I knew he was nearby, I was about to pan my camera away before he caught my eye. Still embarrassing.

With that said, I SHOULD have died ages before. I ran outside the playing area from the north for 2 complete circles, bandaging and eating painkillers the whole way, until I stumbled upon a jeep. I drove the jeep onto the military base, didn't get shot on the bridge, and then lasted 2 more circles bandaging like crazy.

I even got a kill outside (and I mean, WAY outside) the playing area via m16 and 4x scope. I'm sure the guy pooped his pants, not expecting anyone to be that far outside with him. We're talking 2 or 3 km (the big squares) outside the playing area.

I never should have lived long enough to get back into the circle, and even if I did, there should have been plenty of people waiting for me. Somehow, that didn't happen and I managed to die of my own terrible aim. My "plan" was that I had an autoshotgun and that if I pulled the trigger fast enough I'd probably hit him. I got 2 shots off before his one. Apparently being fast is not enough. :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Managed a 2nd place finish, or as I like to call it, The Last Loser. I even managed to kill #3. The final circle was at the Gas station south of the bridge at Georgopol, and I got the drop on #3, as I'd been hiding under the bridge and came up the paths and got the drop on him. I never did see the winner.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To the guy in the lake house that used a health kit as bait to shoot me, I say, "Well played." But you're still an asshole.