PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

I know we were talking about how many hp a player has, and because (I think) the game gives you a max. of 20 xp hp experience for taking a guy from 100% to 0%, there was some talk of a player having 20 hp.

However, if you go and look at your stats, one of the stats is average damage dealt per game. This number is greater than 20. Well, it should be :wink: If you look at replays, it shows you how much damage you dealt in that game. Chances are if you hit someone with almost anything, you'll have done more than 20 hp of damage. What's weird is that I have many replays of our squad games that shows me doing less than 10 but more than 0 damage. I can't explain that. Even if I were stealing kills, the chances of that person having less than 10 hp but still alive seems small. Once or twice, sure, but it seems too often to be explained by random chance.

In any case, all damage charts for the weapons in the game show damage in double digit numbers, and anything over 100 damage is a kill, which to me means that the player has 100 hp. So that means we get 1xp for every 5hp of damage we do.

100hp/(5hp/1xp) = 20 xp.

Here are two links to damage charts that I believe are up to date. I have not compared the two together so I'm not sure if there are any discrepancies between the two, but I posted both for possible comparisons, if you guys are into that.

commercial game site article dated Jan 3rd, 2018

google doc last updated Dec 30, 2017

The google doc has a lot of other useful information so I'm hoping it's accurate enough for use. It's also color coded to show how many of that kind of shot it would take to kill someone with specific armors. Some of the data on the new weapons is missing, unfortunately (dp28, R45, sawed off shotgun etc).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ran into another cheater last night. 100% positive it was a cheat. I was swimming across the water from the military base. Guy runs across the bridge stops and shoots me from 700m+ in half a second. It would have been impossible for him to see me let alone hit me like that. I don't get the fun of doing that.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I believe his fun is simply ruining your fun.

Some people also seem to enjoy played games in "God Mode" so they can relax and enjoy them without stressing about dying.

I suspect the former, though.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Want to commend Goo on his flanking skills last night. I watched the replay of that cool firefight we had, and Goo did a fabulous job of advancing under fire from one guy closer to him to get a diagonal kill on another. Good stuff.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I swear I'm cursed when it comes to sniper rifles. Any time I get one kitted out it seems I die badly before really using it.
Last night, had great gear including a vss. Four of us in a vehicle, get shot up. Who is the only one to get knocked out of the car? Me. Today I snuck a round in while dinner was cooking. Had a nice fight on the big island in Miramar, won, got an sks with 8x scope and three attachments. No boat, circle on the other side of the map, no vehicle when I swam to shore. Died to the circle kilometers from the third ring.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Could I have broken the curse?
Played a quick "stress-relief" round, SKS with 8x scope, one kill (using the SKS), #6 spot.
Could I have broken the curse?

Probably not. :obscene-tolietclaw:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

You lost me at VSS. :P :mrgreen: Eh I'm really starting to get bored of this game. Played a bit of The Division tonight which I've had forever when I got it for free with my video card. Seems pretty fun. It's on the humble bundle if anyone wants to give it a shot. Thunderball and I ran through it for a bit tonight.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I much prefer this game with friends, but I seem to perform better solo or duo. I blame everybody else!

Especially the the bad guys that shoot me. :doh:
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I'm not bored of the game at all when I play on a team but aside from the first few days of play I don't even fire it up if I'm by myself. It's not bad playing solo but I have other stuff I'd rather be doing if I'm playing alone.

Wouldn't mind mixing in some other MP games as well but don't have a go to right now.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey, look at that, full 5.3GB patch arriving during prime time. No offense to the Asian market or European market, but chances are the NA market is both the most profitable on a per unit basis as well as overall.

I live in NA and not Australia so I can get my patches during OFF hours. :wink:
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Test Server works if you wish
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Played a few rounds. 3 kills each round. I don't know if it was just luck, but the fights seemed much more balanced. I don't know like I'm not fighitng someone with a 300 ping. :P

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Downloaded half the update last night, fired up STEAM this morning and now it's starting the 5GB download from scratch. They need to get their shit together.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

You need a real internet connection so that you don't care about a 5GB patch. I go grab a drink and it's done. :P

And you need to jump in a game with us!

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Agreed that you need to play with us. Most of us get together at 10 pm EDT.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

A couple of comments about wonky things happening.

1) I went full auto at 7m with a tommy gun vs. a dude in the School. I died having done zero damage. I reviewed the tape, and yes, I fired in bursts and just happened to shoot around him in a complete silhouette of his body. It was bad enough to be hilarious. With that said, near the end my cross hair was directly on his head and I fired at least 3 bullets during this time. None registered as blood splatter and obviously the game didn't recognize them as hits. I did notice that decals and dust on the wall behind him, but they appear to be the result of bullets fired after the 3 I shot while aiming directly at his head. Video from my side said that I fired somewhere in the neighbourhood of 12-15 bullets. Oddly, when watching the death cam, there are only gunshots sounds for 5 of my bullets, at which point he starts firing and then I can't distinguish any individual shots. However, I died in a short enough period of time that it is unlikely that I shot another 10 shots in that period.

So not only did the game not register what I am 95% sure were 2-3 headshots, it might not have registered all the shots I took, at all. That's...disconcerting.

I had another example, but it has slipped my mind. I started noticing these little discrepancies about 1-2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what's going on, but it appears that *something* odd is happening. Even more strangely, there doesn't appear to be any other evidence of lag/latency at the time.

Ok, I went and looked at my saved videos and found another example pretty much exactly the same.

2) I sneak up on a dude on a Miramar hill. He hears me and is suspicious. I jump him with my full auto ump at about 15m. He's in lvl 3 armour. Data says that my bullets should do 17 pts of damage each. And when I hit him twice, the game tells me I did approx. 35 hp of damage (and the xp I get for those 2 hits is 7, which works for a 1xp/5hp damage, which is what it is supposed to be.

The problem is that I hit him with way more than 2 bullets from the video taken from my client. In fact I hit him with 2, then there is a short period where I don't hit him at all and the video corroborates this, and then I hit him with at least 3 more bullets (the cross hair is directly on his torso, no question) right before I die.

I've been complaining about how bad a shot I am since I started playing, and don't get me wrong, I am a terrible shot. But the evidence I'm starting to gather implies that I'm not as bad a shot as it seemed.

I'm not freakin' out, or ranting about how broken the game is. I'm trying to see if this is a real, constant phenomenon for me, or it's all in my head. Obviously I have some video evidence, but I'd like to collect more and then investigate possible solutions.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

You are not alone at all Goo. I have made the same complaint (probably to you!) about my shots not registering on the servers as fast as the other guy's when in close shootouts. I've been attributing it to my slower internet, and have been watching to see if, when solo, if things are improved with the new ping matching. Sadly, in groups the game probably can't match pings so easily since each team member will have different pings, so that is no blessing. What type of internet so you have again? Also, was your first example today, after the ping patch?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Found something the otherwise mostly useless pump-action shotgun is good for... proving a point. I lost an early engagement this morning, where I definitely was able to get one shot from my shotgun off. But the deathcam showed me not firing at all. I'm going to try disabling both the replay and the deathcam and see if the "performance hit" they allegedly cause is contributing at all to the delays. The only way I will know is with repeated conflicts and more successes, which is somewhat nebulous, but it's all I got.
Incidentally, the guy who beat me was most likely a cheater. The death cam shows him firing 4-6 shots in rapid succession with his P1101 pistol, all head hits and me with a Level 3 helmet.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I made a comment the other night when we landed at the water treatment plant with 9278365418256 other guys that when I ran into him outside one of the buildings and he killed me that my death cam did not show me getting off a shot with the shotgun that I know I did from my end so ...it's happening.

EDIT: you can't make me use commas or multiple sentences so don't try.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Redfive wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:44 am I made a comment the other night when we landed at the water treatment plant with 9278365418256 other guys that when I ran into him outside one of the buildings and he killed me that my death cam did not show me getting off a shot with the shotgun that I know I did from my end so ...it's happening.

EDIT: you can't make me use commas or multiple sentences so don't try.
Rebel.

It's still too early to say, but I have had 4 favorable outcomes in shoot outs where I clearly had the drop on the other guy since I turned off both the Replay and DeathCam. Could just be luck.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So people who don't care how they die are at an advantage over those who do?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Octavious and I had an instance last night where he was geared up and was one shot by a dude he saw coming and dint have a line of site on. dont know if its cheats or if was just bad rng. but it happened.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Paingod wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm So people who don't care how they die are at an advantage over those who do?
I'm not completely clear on what you are asking.

I can up my count of successes to 4 now. Still not enough to draw conclusions from. Fyi, I'm not saying I win every fight, just referring to fights where I seem to have at least an equal chance or better. I certainly have died today to people getting the better of me!
Pro-tip: The Tommy gun in single fire is pretty accurate at range, but not Winchester range. Sigh. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:31 pm I'm not completely clear on what you are asking.
He's saying that those who aren't interested or can't be bothered to review their deathcams or replays may have a performance advantage over those who are/do. Based on your anecdotal evidence, that performance advantage has increased your ability to live versus before when it seemed to decrease your ability to live.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

McG2k1 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 pm Octavious and I had an instance last night where he was geared up and was one shot by a dude he saw coming and dint have a line of site on. dont know if its cheats or if was just bad rng. but it happened.
Watched a youtube video of some live stream footage where the player couldn't understand how they got shot in cover. Unlike me, this player was very strong and has a very good sense of what is and isn't possible in the game. He went back and reviewed it from his perspective and the death cam, and came to the conclusion that there was a de-sync moment where his client, the server and the opponent's client were not in sync. This resulted in him being behind cover in his client while being exposed on the opponent's client. He won anyway so it didn't matter, but he was pretty confident the de-sync is what happened, and I'm inclined to believe him, given some moments in my games where the same thing happened (after much review) as well as these bullets which seemingly are going missing.

That sort of thing is expected in most online games, but for a game with such razor thin margins for error and timing, it will destroy the game if it turns out to be a common event and the community decides it's a problem. The game is already frustrating enough without hindering you further through sync issues.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

7 even paced suppressed shots from about 75m with an AKM. Not a single hit. Nor do I think there should have been. When a dude is dodging and weaving I have no idea how to hit him.

I wasn't dodging and weaving myself because he couldn't find me at first and I was trying to focus on my aim rather than staying alive. I had plenty of chances and missed every time. Hilariously he hit me once in the amount of time it took to peak and stop peaking. Admittedly I was not moving (well, tiny movements, not enough) but he had only just found me.

Disappointed. Not that I died, I die all the time. That I can't hit anything. This guy was a pro, moving in all 4 cardinal directions, crouching and standing, in and out of cover, but I had forever to aim. He had full lvl 3 gear and an mk14 and a groza, so he was doing alright, gear-wise. :D

In retrospect I probably shouldn't have taken the shot. I knew it was a tough shot, the dude was a pinball, but he was behind me and to the right with only 6 players left. I doubt I could have moved without alerting him that I was there or getting spotted by someone else. If this had been earlier in the game, it might have been ok to cook a grenade although it was too far without moving closer, or just move away and disengage until a better opportunity presented itself.

Note: I simply missed every time. I'm not complaining about sync issues.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:48 pm
Freyland wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:31 pm I'm not completely clear on what you are asking.
He's saying that those who aren't interested or can't be bothered to review their deathcams or replays may have a performance advantage over those who are/do. Based on your anecdotal evidence, that performance advantage has increased your ability to live versus before when it seemed to decrease your ability to live.
Ah, thank you. I would like to draw emphasis to "versus before when it seemed to decrease your ability to live" as the key part of this interpretation. I certainly care how I die, since dying bad, and I like learning stuff, but in the end I want to avoid losing game enjoyment due to mechanical factors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. He's saying that the average player who just plays without turning on the extras may be experiencing some performance benefits, whereas those who take the time to review deathcams and replays may unwittingly be experiencing death more often because of it.

He's not saying that YOU personally don't care. There's nuance there that I can't quite find the wording for. Basically people playing "casually" have an advantage over those that play less "casually". Maybe.

Who knows at this point.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

McG2k1 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 pm Octavious and I had an instance last night where he was geared up and was one shot by a dude he saw coming and dint have a line of site on. dont know if its cheats or if was just bad rng. but it happened.
I think it was a mix of my shitty reflexes and the game being funky. Who knows though.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Points to Octavious for going all "Rambo" on two guys at close range last night. I hear over the comms "Well, I'm dead. I'm trapped". I come charging over, too far to do more than snap off a few iron-sight sks shots, only to see Oct dancing around with something on Auto and a dude on either side of him going down. I wish I had my replay on just to see that in better detail.

Sadly, my kill count has continued to support my theory about performance issues with at least both replay and death cam running.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Got a point blank snap shotgun shot off today. 1 shot kill through lvl 1 body armour. I was actually a little shocked because I don't think I've ever gotten a 1 shot shotgun kill even against unarmoured people before.

Was just me and a dude in a tiny cluster of buildings just after drop time. I landed first by a few seconds, but by the time I reached him he had a lvl 1 helmet and armor on. Probably should have picked up something better than a 1911 though. Or at least become a better shot.

He was on the second story and I was coming up the stairs looking through the banisters but he ended up being farther back and started firing at me as my head came above the floor line. I snapped around and took a single shot. Reviewing the tape, the cross hair was completely on his chest, with nothing outside of his body outline. Presumably all pellets hit.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sold a fever crate for CAN$0.80 and the Military Shirt (Grey) for CAN$1.16

Another step closer to recouping the cost of the game. However, how do I recoup the emotional cost?!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Play a 3 man squad with Doom and Thunder on easy mode aka the Asian server. One match I wiped an entire 4 man squad. :lol: And the last one we won. :horse: At one point someone started firing at Thunderball and his aim was so bad that Thunder thought I was screwing with him. :lol: Took me a few seconds of watching to then decide to kill the guy. They really suck on that server.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sounds like I'd fit in nicely. I should check it out.

Oh, and that reminds me. Cort, that last game where I took a couple of shots at the motorcycle+sidecar, later died, you ran into the circle and later died to the dude on the balcony? We were playing on a squad server. i.e. 4 man teams. I must have selected 2-man squad instead of Duo. That's why there were 3 vehicles convoying down the road together and 4 people not shooting each other when they all got out.

Hopefully that's lesson learned for next time. I think you came in somewhere around 10th person alive, so that seems pretty good considering any team we ran into potentially outnumbered us 2 to 1.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And we won another one. Thunderball went rambo and wiped out like 2-3 people at the end. Sadly I don't have a recording.

Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 am Sounds like I'd fit in nicely. I should check it out.

Oh, and that reminds me. Cort, that last game where I took a couple of shots at the motorcycle+sidecar, later died, you ran into the circle and later died to the dude on the balcony? We were playing on a squad server. i.e. 4 man teams. I must have selected 2-man squad instead of Duo. That's why there were 3 vehicles convoying down the road together and 4 people not shooting each other when they all got out.

Hopefully that's lesson learned for next time. I think you came in somewhere around 10th person alive, so that seems pretty good considering any team we ran into potentially outnumbered us 2 to 1.
That's how we roll :horse: :horse:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:24 am And we won another one. Thunderball went rambo and wiped out like 2-3 people at the end. Sadly I don't have a recording.
Congrats!

We seem to always be the bridesmaid but never the bride. I've lost count of the number of second places we've gotten (had another one last night).
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 am
Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:24 am And we won another one. Thunderball went rambo and wiped out like 2-3 people at the end. Sadly I don't have a recording.
Congrats!

We seem to always be the bridesmaid but never the bride. I've lost count of the number of second places we've gotten (had another one last night).
That seems an appropriate analogy. Someone's always throwing flowers at me... at my grave, specifically.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pretty good week for me. 3 chicken dinners. All are on the asian server and only 1 was solo. I got a 2nd and a 3rd on NA yesterday. Had some crappy luck with the circles or I probably would have won at least one of those. My aim jumped up a notch the last week. For some reason it was just dreadful last week. Shrug.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Great.

We need to work on our final circle strats.