PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by Octavious »

Fortnight is combat nonstop so you're going the wrong direction. I was leaning towards you hating it, but I could be wrong. :lol:

I honestly think you will like the new circle changes once you get used to it. There's so many times I've spent 15 minutes looting with no combat only to die the second I see someone. That's really not fun imho. This ends up chopping out a lot of the pointless wandering and I think it will be great. Sadly I won't have any time to try it out tonight. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LOVE the new circle structure. It could use a little work, but the end circles are much slower which means you can really think and work to get into position. :horse: Just got top 3 and easily could have won it if I did things a little better.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dell advertised a new laptop in China by claiming it was great for cheating at PUBG
Battle royale shooter Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds is quite popular in China, with the country making up nearly half of the game’s tens of millions of users. But with that popularity comes a significant amount of in-game cheating, with around 99 percent of all unauthorized modifications originating from Chinese players. Cheating is so prevalent, in fact, that Dell even went so far as to advertise a new laptop for the Chinese market as being superior for running PUBG-specific plugins, with plugin being a euphemism for a cheat or hack.

As first noted earlier this week by Australian gaming magazine PCPowerPlay, a Dell spokesperson at an Intel 8th-gen event in Beijing said new Dell machines would allow PUBG players to “run more plugins to win more at Chicken Dinner,” referencing the “Winner Winner Chicken Dinner” slogan that appears if you happen to win a match. We don’t know really how a laptop could be made superior to others at running downloadable plugins that let you cheat at a video game. But the Dell spokesperson nonetheless saw the claim as good marketing.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Maybe the Chinese philosophy we're missing in context with this is "It doesn't matter how you win, as long as you do" ... seems like it would take that mentality to have this marketing work.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've noticed over the last week or so that this game pushes out like 4+ 25MB patches a day. What the hell?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No idea re: small patches.

---------------------

I don't remember the context, but there was some discussion of the damage of the Winchester vs. 5.56 AR's. I do recall that I thought there was no point in having an AR *and* a Winchester. I believe I said they do about the same damage, or at least they fill the same role.

All 5.56mm AR's do a base damage of 41 (chest shot, no armor).
Winchester does a base shot of 66 (chest shot, no armor).

Armor is a set percentage reduction in damage, so it will affect all weapons equally, in that it will reduce all damage by whatever percent that particular armor is rated for.

So clearly, the Winchester does more damage than the 5.56mm AR's.

The 7.62mm AR's do a base damage of 48, fyi.

In any case, the numbers don't change my opinion, in that I cannot imagine a scenario where I would use an iron sighted Winchester over an iron sighted (anything more and it tips heavily in the AR's favour, imo) AR. There are numerous reasons not to do it (two types of ammo to carry, 2nd weapon slot unavailable to a weapon in another role, rate of fire of the AR, etc) and only 1 reason to do it.

Even if I have not found a suitable second weapon, unless I had ammo issues with the AR, I would dump the Winchester. That doesn't mean others need to do what I do. If I remember correctly, I suggested dumping the Winchester because it fills the same roll as the 5.56mm AR's, but I believe the damage differential was enough that others felt carrying the two was worthwhile. At that point, I think, I said the damage difference wasn't enough to matter, which according to the numbers above, isn't true. 50% more damage per bullet is huge, although obviously the firing rate is slower (which might not matter depending on the type of fire fight).

Just a clarification and PSA re: Winchester vs. 5.56mm ARs.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just won a solo squad on AS. God they suck. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 pm Just won a solo squad on AS. God they suck. :lol:
:D

A win is a win!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hey Goo, the discussion was with me. To add a factor, my unscientifically-based impression is that the Winchester has zero bullet drop at ranges you would not consider using an AR on auto, whereas an AR does (?). Your thoughts and research on this?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No idea. Bullet drop was increased in a balance patch at some point in the past, I think it was around the same time the mini-14 got nerfed. I believe the Winchester was added after that, or around that time (when the second map came out). I haven't read anything about the Winchester specifically.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It has very fast bullet speed and low bullet drop + high damage. I think this is why they refuse to let you even put a red dot on it. :( With a 2 time scope that thing would be awesome.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm pretty sure the stats summary shown when selecting a replay includes friendly and self inflicted damage in the damage total.

Had a game where I hit exactly zero people but crashed my vehicle at one point. Game gave me 0 damage xp, but the replay showed 17ish pts of damage done. Which is pretty much exactly how much of my health bar I lost when I crashed.

So...that's interesting.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Hey - damage is damage... :D
Black Lives Matter

l0ri

Post by l0ri »

I've been playing this for months but I still can't be number 1. There are only 2 possible reasons. I am such a noob in playing FPS game or I am playing with cheaters. But probably the first option. I'm into RPG games but since my friends plays PUBG I played as well.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

l0ri wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:06 am I've been playing this for months but I still can't be number 1. There are only 2 possible reasons. I am such a noob in playing FPS game or I am playing with cheaters. But probably the first option. I'm into RPG games but since my friends plays PUBG I played as well.
It can take a while and you've got to find your groove. My groove was stalking people. I was never the one to run towards a gun fight. I always ran sideways at it to see who would right right at it. I only got one or two wins under my belt, but it didn't matter as the fun of the game for me wasn't winning but playing.
Black Lives Matter

KDH

Post by KDH »

... :coffee: ... ... PUBG arrests 15 netizens for creating cheat programs-/-malicious code
An Update on Our Anti-Cheat Efforts
April 27 - RKRigney

Hi everyone,

As you all now know, we’ve been doing everything possible to root out cheating from PUBG. The ultimate goal is to create an environment for players that’s completely safe from hackers and cheaters.

We take cheating extremely seriously. Developing, selling, promoting, or using unauthorized hacking/cheating programs isn’t just unfair for others playing PUBG—in many places, it’s also against the law.

We’ve upgraded our security measures, improved our anti-cheat solutions, and recently even added a new anti-cheat solution on top of all that. In the meantime, we’ve also been continuously gathering information on hack developers (and sellers) and have been working extensively with multiple partners and judicial authorities to bring these people to justice.

Earlier this month, on April 25th, 15 suspects were arrested for developing and selling hacking/cheating programs that affect PUBG. It was confirmed that malicious code, including Trojan horse software, was included in some of these programs and was used to steal user information.

Here’s some translated information from the local authorities we worked with on this case:
"15 major suspects including “OMG”, “FL”, “火狐”, “须弥” and “炎黄” were arrested for developing hack programs, hosting marketplaces for hack programs, and brokering transactions. Currently the suspects have been fined approximately 30mil RNB ($5.1mil USD). Other suspects related to this case are still being investigated.

Some hack programs that are being distributed through the internet includes a Huigezi Trojan horse*(Chinese backdoor) virus. It was proven that hack developers used this virus to control users’ PC, scan their data, and extract information illegally.”

The longstanding rumor that hacking/cheating programs extract information from users’ PCs has been confirmed to be true. Using illegal programs not only disrupts others, but can end up with you handing over your personal information.

We’ll continue to crack down on hacking/cheating programs (and their creators) until our players are free to battle it out in a totally fair environment.

Thanks for playing,
PUBG Corp.
Ain't nobody got time for that
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sold an equinox chest for about a buck, so there is still people out there buying stuff.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Thunderball and I attacked the Asian server last night. We were doing 2 man squads and won 2 matches. God they suck. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The nightly crew continue to struggle to obtain chicken dinners. Despite lots of 3rds, 4ths and 5ths, with even the occasional 2nd, we just have not been able to take that final step. At least not when I've been playing.

There is no question that we have been constantly improving, winning fights that we used to lose, and securing our drop sites from any interlopers on a semi-regular basis.

Frey hit a dude at about 500-600m with a Winchester, and I've made some progress on recoil control, although the AKM continues to elude me despite my affection for it.

The others, Cort, Doom and Red have always performed well in combat and that continues to be the case. I've forgotten someone but that's because I'm old, not because they're forgettable. :D

Oddly, our frustrations seem to have increased despite improvements in our play. I suspect it's just an increase in expectations that is hurting morale. I know I've put enormous effort into getting better, but until I can shoot straight, I'm just not seeing the results I hope for.

We recently defended our drop zone, wiping out a 4 man team without losing a single member of our own. No one, including me seemed to realize what a huge deal that was. In this game even when you win an engagement it's very hard not to lose 1 or 2 teammates. Focus fire will burn anyone to the ground in seconds no matter how good their gear.

Contrarily, we were ambushed and lost a couple of teammates and it seemed to have a far greater impact on our morale than it should have. Even the best players die 75+% of the time. Realistic expectations would help with this.

When I play solo I try to mentally prepare myself for the inevitable early gun fight (I run towards gunfire now, instead of away). My goal is to do my best, hit him at least once and be ready to die. Anything better than that is just gravy, mentally.

I'm quite surprised that we don't have any recent dinners yet. I'm a better player and the team is a better team than we ever were before, when the rare dinner came our way.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

People have gotten better. It's rare that I run into anyone on NA that is really clueless, so that doesn't help. I got extremely frustrated a few times in the last week where nothing would go right. Just an FYI that the weapon balance totally changes the recoil. So everyone will have to relearn that... On the plus side the AKM is MUCH improved on the test server. You can just totally own with it if you know how to use it. Right now on the live server it's only really great at like 50m and less. Anything past that good luck to you. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jacky's last video showed AKM horizontal recoil almost completely gone, although vertical is slightly higher than it used to be. Still, vertical is the "easy" one.

Hey Doom, you remember that motorcycle that was chasing us right before that epic gunfight in the shantytown? I hit the passenger in the head from the passenger seat of our truck with my 9mm pistol. The target only had a level 1 helmet, so it took off like 1/2 his health. He actually got off the motorcycle and didn't get to the shootout until later.

Also, when you knocked that one guy behind the shed and then got knocked yourself? My grenade was PERFECT except I didn't get to cook it as long as I wanted because I was getting shot. It landed right at the feet of 3 freakin' bad guys, but they all had time to take cover. Even the knocked guy crawled behind some broken crates which magically protected him.

You are probably aware, but I sure as hell wasn't, that the fight was a 3-way shootout. There was another entire team at the shantytown across the street.

It didn't help that I signed us up for a 2 man squad instead of a duo. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

10 gig patch. I'm using almost 10% of my monthly cap just to patch this freakin' game.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Thankfully I don't have data limits so the 10 gig patches don't bother me at all. It does seem odd to have to release such a large patch. It seems they don't have a very good release process. I mean hell they still can't figure out that they should make something popup when maintenance is going on. Instead you get a you can't connect message.

The thing that worries me is that this is a HUGE patch and they only had it on the test server for a flipping week. They had previously stated that this would take longer as they want to get it right. I know for a fact that many people are complaining that the new SLR is super overpowered. It only takes a quick glance at youtube to see that's the case. And they made the crappy m16 even crappier. I would rather have an ump than use that thing. It has RIDICULOUS recoil now. :doh:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:09 pm The thing that worries me is that this is a HUGE patch and they only had it on the test server for a flipping week.
This jumped to mind for me too.

Nothing says well tested and balanced for a major rebalancing patch that touches on nearly every aspect of the weapons like a week on the beta server.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So far I don't have any major issues with the changes. Stability seems to be worse. I got stuck in loading screens and got lag messages more than a few times. To me it seems that the close combat is a bit easier to hit people. Only played 3 solo matches. 2 top 10's 1 win. It was me and one other guy left. He hid in the back of a house and I was out in the field with the middle of the circle. I just waiting until the final close popped and then shot him enough for him to die to the zone. :horse:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

With the recent patch, Live is slightly different from Test, and the AKM has had a huge increase vertical recoil, while it's horizontal recoil is practically non-existent. In Theory, this is great because vertical recoil can be countered by simply pulling down on the mouse. Horizontal recoil is random left/right and can't be countered easily, so like I said, in theory this is fine.

Crouching brings the vertical recoil on the AKM back to it's previous value. i.e. crouch when spraying if possible. I often do, but not always.

For me, I like using the AKM as my <100m gun. I use it for clearing buildings and other short range stuff. It hits really hard and it can outgun an M416 due to the increased damage. However, my recoil control is spotty at best, so this is going to make things pretty challenging.

I'll take a scar-l or m416 over the AKM so I only use the AKM when I've had no luck finding a 5.56mm AR.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Item sales/trades are now off the table, as in you can't sell or trade BP chest items any longer. Whether this is temporary or permanent seems to be unknown at this time.

Suggested motive from BlueHole is to stop the sale of these items on 3rd party sites. For some reason.

edit: Sales are still a thing on the steam market.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

For the AKM just do quick 1-2 second bursts and the recoil isn't a problem at all. I rarely ever just hold down the button with any gun except for say the ump. Even that I should do shorter bursts. I always have to remind myself that you only need to hit someone 4-5 times to kill them.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

New numbers from the current patch are up. Look here if you're into that sort of thing.

If the shotgun numbers are right, ho-lee sheet. Suddenly they don't seem so bad.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not 100% sure if it's the patch or not, but I have been doing quite well since the new season. 2 wins in tpp and 3 in fpp. My KD ratio in tpp is almost 2-1. :D I do think part of it is that people can't spray you with an AR from distance as easily anymore. That always drove me nuts. Lot more deaths to sniper headshots due to the helmet changes, but I'm cool with that.

https://pubg.op.gg/user/Octavious230?server=na

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh good tip that I have to remind myself as well. If you see that the circle is going into a space with almost no cover take a vehicle. I did that last night and was just driving around running over the poor sobs that had nothing to hide behind. :lol: Of course I honked the horn the entire time as it's not like everyone didn't know where I was. Almost won except the tip of my head stuck out from behind a rock and got blown off by a m24. :P

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:24 pm New numbers from the current patch are up. Look here if you're into that sort of thing.

If the shotgun numbers are right, ho-lee sheet. Suddenly they don't seem so bad.
I'll just point out that the shotguns are actually a tiny bit weaker than they were before. I just never looked at how much damage they do if even 1/2 their pellets hit. If all of them hit? You are gonna die, doesn't matter what you're wearing.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cheating especially ESP is WAY up the last week. On more than one occasion someone has come flying up a hill stopped the vehicle and knew exactly where I was. Watch the replay and they weren't even looking for me. So lame.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wtfmoses talks about the changes to the sound system in the most recent patch. tl;dw it should be easier to locate where shots are coming from now.

wackyjacky talks about some of the issues with the damage model, and we can infer from his comments why we see so many people leaning even when in open terrain, and it's not what you think (:D) I know this has been bugging Frey in particular, but I too find it annoying because it's so...counter to the realistic nature of the game.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

5 man team event this weekend. Wouldn't mind getting in a few rounds. Good target practice.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Tried it last night and just found it annoying. Could be that we had a really crappy team though. :lol: I"m trying to branch back out into other games. We'll see how that works out. :P

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'd just like to point out that Clint is using a winchester to shoot the hangman's rope from about 100-200m in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I know if I'm the one hanging, I'm doing my best to keep from kicking so the rope doesn't swing around. It's a tough enough shot as it is.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Used the ports identified at www.portforward.com to open ports on my router as well as create custom windows firewall rules in the vague hope of increasing game performance slightly.

It's pretty self explanatory at the link, but if anyone tries it and has trouble, just ask. Several of us know enough to help.

edit: I killed the old firewall rules and the game played just fine. I had one teleport from hell that actually disoriented me, but the rest seemed to be smooth sailing. Whether the teleport was traffic related or their server I don't know.

edit2: After a night of playing, I'd say there was no noticeable improvement.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Maintenance tonight.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The power of the vector. AUG vs. Vector and level 3 armour.