PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

I couldn't agree more about the VSS. With almost no recoil rapid single tapping just feels awesome.

As for the rest, can't say anything has changed for me, except my connection has been extra poor but that could be on my end.

Congrats on your success. The game can be very rewarding.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This entire week has been people plinging me from behind. I get cover and then murder them. And then another one pops out of nowhere. It's really been bizarre as of late. One of the last matches I played last night I accidentally wandered into a hot loot drop spot. An epic battle where I killed three people before getting myself killed ensued. At one point a guy threw a smoke grenade at me and charged. I leaped onto and off a rock and swung around and shot him to death with an ump. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's us. We never get any opportunities to shoot people so even when we're behind the circle and the target is about to get to cover, we take a pot shot.

It's the best I can do.

edit: True story.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya that generally never ends well. :lol: Part of my recent success is coming out of my shell and dropping into hotter areas. It's super easy for me to avoid most people until the top 20, but it really isn't much fun. Especially if the first fight you get into kills you. If you get to the top 20 with 6 kills and get murdered it really is much less upsetting. :twisted:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My personal playstyle, at least solo although we do see it a lot in duos as well, is to drop in a "safe" area, get looted up then migrate with the circles in a generally aggressive way. Attempting to dig out campers from the buildings they are occupying and mostly moving to areas that I want to defend, anticipating that I may have to fight to take those areas.

Get looted, then go hunting (but not stalking) as I move as the circle dictates. It creates conflict without having to take on 3 people at once.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I decided to try a quick game and while I'm looting something feels wrong. My mouse turning is soft, sometimes responsive and sometimes mushy.

It bothers me enough that I swear several times just looting. Imagine trying to turn 90 degrees but sometimes you only get 70 or even 60, other times it's 90.

The other day the game just stopped taking left/right mouse input. I couldn't move but escaping to the menu the mouse was fine. I.e. the game was the problem not the mouse.

So I keep playing with major trepidation, as the idea of precision mouse aiming is laughable.

I'm driving a buggy and get shot at, so I get inside the circle and take up residence in a building.

Johnny bull in a China shop comes charging in in a muscle car. He's after me with all the subtlety of ...well, a bull.

He's tossing grenades, breaking windows, making noise. A dream for me.

I pull out a grenade press the throw button and...nothing happens. I'm like wtf is going on. In the meantime he comes charging in and I can't do anything because I've got this grenade stuck to my hand.

He mows me down and leaves the room. 5 seconds later the grenade goes off and he returns to loot my body.

It was all I could do not to throw my monitor through the window

That may have been the single most frustrating game of pubg I've ever had.

Stupid ox comes charging at me with zero skill and I die with a grenade stuck to my hand and a stupid look on my face, still trying to turn 180 degrees while I reach the end of my mouse pad, lift the mouse and start again. Twice.

I have to admit I've never seen anything like it. I never rubber banded once, but it was like the game was filtering all my inputs through molasses.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Several attempts to play tonight resulted in games that were functional, but it was like driving a beatup old jalopy in formula 1. At one point I swapped out a 1911 for a P92 and my dude was busy holding his hands in the pistol position with no gun to be seen, and after 30 seconds of trying to load the invisible gun, I gave up and called it a night.

The game is hard enough when everything works right.

https://pubgserverping.com/

Says I have good to average ping to several server farms including Germany of all places. Since there's no way to pick your server and no way to know what server the game put you on, it's impossible to know what my expectations should be.

There are so many little things going on that I find it hard to even know where to start in terms of troubleshooting. I'll give it a few days to see if things settle back on their own before really starting to dig.

My last mile connection seems fine, which makes it even stranger.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That’s odd. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced anything like that. My fav kill last night was some guy charging me behind a tree. Little did he know that I had a fully kitted vector. I popped out and he was dead in a quarter second. That gun in evil close quarters.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And magically things were much cleaner tonight. A little more rubber banding than I'd like (very rare, very short, mostly) but no mouse mushiness and no game lag where inventory items are slow to respond.

So weird.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Frey and I got a 3rd place Duo finish because the circle was kind and I was too scared to leave my wizard's tower. I actually took many shots at the first place team with a 4x scoped SLR but missed repeatedly. Honestly I was just too afraid of their M24 to do much of anything.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Who wouldn't be terrified of a guy named "KevlarUndies"?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Had a 4 kill win in TPP solo. I haven't really been doing all that well in winning since the reset. This is only the second one that i have. Oddly enough I feel like I'm playing better. Shrug...

Funny moment of the night that I wished I recorded. I was coming down a hill and saw a guy that was looking the other direction. As I didn't want to shoot at him from such a poor position I booked it down the hill and whipped out a grenade. I ran towards him after cooking it and tossed it in his direction thinking I had the perfect throw. Two seconds later the car next to me explodes killing me. Watching the replay my grenade just hit the top corner of the building and deflected right back at me. I'm sure the other guy was amused. I couldn't even be upset about that one. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have a number of similar grenade tosses in my history. Reviewing the replays is always amusing.

Congrats on the win.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:40 am Who wouldn't be terrified of a guy named "KevlarUndies"?
Interesting and somewhat unusual for PUBG, Frey and I watched a lot of combat play out in real-time from my hidey-hole, which allowed us to put the names from the action log to the players we could see fighting.

So weird to know the names of your enemies before they shoot you.

Weirder to watch Kevlarundies kill saginetsomething
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They put out a 12GB update on the first day of the STEAM sale? Have they lost their goddamn minds?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 pm They put out a 12GB update on the first day of the STEAM sale? Have they lost their goddamn minds?
Lol.

Yeah, I'm sure they never even made the connection.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

After initially being entertained on the new map my fears came to fruition and it just feels like they are dumping me in a box with people who have better aim than I do. There is no where to hide and with contact happening at such close ranges even taking cover is a temporary fix at best, as even minor repositioning will give someone a firing angle to you. I encountered teams that were together yet I could only get cover from 1 or another enemy player, the other enemy player(s) already had los to my cover. Basically the game feels like it's even more just a race to put metal into each other faster.

I've been playing Titanfall 2 lately as well and I get kills in that game (although not nearly as many as the top players) so I know I can hit things if given half a chance. I think it's because Titanfall has so many distractions during a fight that I can often find a target that has not seen me yet. If it's just a race to kill each other, I still win occasionally, but not very often.

Even on the old maps I've grown so afraid of sticking my head out only to get 1 shotted (thank you twitchers who got the lvl 3 helmet nerfed to the drop crates) that I'm almost paralyzed into indecision. The new map takes that to the next level.

The game has always been ironman death match but before you at least had the semblance of a survival aspect, now on the new map it's just pick up a gun and go hunting immediately. That's great for those who love the action, but less good for those who like a more balanced approach to staying alive versus fighting.

Honestly, if all I wanted to do was fight I'd play a game with a 10 second respawn time, not a game that kicks you out to the menu 3 seconds after enemy contact.

Yes, I get it, I'm slow and not a great shot. The combat is simply too fast for me and I'm sure I'd feel that way if I were faster and a better shot.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 amThe combat is simply too fast for me and I'm sure I'd feel that way if I were faster and a better shot.
The same thing happened to me after I had been out of World of Tanks for a while. I had a pretty good record, better than average, and felt like I knew the game pretty well. After having taken many months off, I returned to find that the game of tactical tank hunting where patience and precision mattered had evaporated and everyone was rushing everything. It was suddenly no fun at all and I haven't gone back.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well that map was made smaller intentionally to make it more action packed. Solo I can get into top 10 without seeing anyone. There’s like a billion places to hide on the ground on that map. Haven’t really tried it in squads.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's my point though Oct, the new map is almost a battle arena. The whole map is practically one big hot drop, with a scope you can see and kill your neighbours within 60 seconds of landing and it just gets smaller from there.

All that is intentional design based on player feedback.

I'm not surprised to find it this way, but I am a little disappointed. It alters the tone of the game significantly. That it actually makes a hard game harder for me is just the cherry on top.

On the plus side you can filter map choice so I guess if I want to simply never play on one of only 3 maps in the game, I can.

I'm no more frustrated with the game than I was before, really. The game is insanely frustrating at the best of times. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Honestly you might just be better off avoiding that map. :lol: I'm not planning on playing it much myself except to get combat practice.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, yeah. But that's clearly the direction of the game, at least at this moment in time. We'll see what the next map has to offer.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

1st round on the new map die falling i to cave. 2nd round 5 kill win. My super bush skills own on this map.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If you're not staying up to date on Wacky's videos, he just released an important one.

The new QZB scopes are misaligned. Instead of shooting at the 100m mark when your target is 100m away you need to shoot at the 200m mark on the scope.

For example, on the 4x scope with the tip of the chevron being the aim point at 100m, you actually need to aim at the top of the line below the chevron.

Enlarge Image
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Won another TPP match last night. I actually felt bad for the last guy. From watching the replay you can see he was new and just totally freaked out at the end. He spotted me first, but totally panic fired and completely missed me. I turned and killed him in a half second. Now I know how it feels to be on the other end of that exchange. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As probably my most successful failure to date, during a duo game with Cort last night I managed to do 150 points of damage to another team in the span of about 15 seconds without knocking either of them.

It was the new map, Cort and I scooped up what we could and headed to the neighbours, who had the same idea and we ran into them on the hillside just outside their loot location. While they were murdering Cort I opened fire with my m416 on full auto the whole while repeating the mantra (pull down to control your recoil!) and it worked a little, because I hit with 2 bullets instead of just 1 from my normal controlled burst. Dude ducked behind a tree while his buddy tried to flank/get another firing angle at me. I had a rock I could use as partial cover.

I aimed down sight at the new guy and thought "this is going to be a head shot" and it was, to his level 1 helmet. It put him at about 30% which is right when I ran out of bullets. He was on top of me and I had to decide whether to try to reload or switch to the S12K I was carting around (when I picked this up I said to myself, why am I picking this up, I have yet to have had a shotgun encounter on the new map and this gun is a waste). I decide to switch and just as I'm bringing up the barrel dude finishes me.

I fully admit that Cort's noble sacrifice allowed me to get my first shots in which scared off the first guy and I almost had the second guy due to the headshot, but in the end the m416 just does not hold enough bullets for a potato aimer like me.

Seriously, 150 points of damage in 15 seconds, no downed opponents. One was left at 20% and the other at 30%.

Damn it. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 am Won another TPP match last night. I actually felt bad for the last guy. From watching the replay you can see he was new and just totally freaked out at the end.
I resent that. I am NOT new.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 am Won another TPP match last night. I actually felt bad for the last guy. From watching the replay you can see he was new and just totally freaked out at the end. He spotted me first, but totally panic fired and completely missed me. I turned and killed him in a half second. Now I know how it feels to be on the other end of that exchange. :lol:
Now, look at the number of hours played and tell us how long it took to get there.

The last time I played, if I didn't 100% get the drop on my enemy, I only had about a 20% chance I'd kill them. Even then, I only seemed to have an 80% chance to win if they never saw me coming. :hawk:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I regularly get the drop on people and lose. I have to get the drop on a guy who's looking at his inventory screen or aiming down sight at someone else. And as I was complaining about in Discord chat 2 days ago, I can count on 2 hands the number of times I've come across someone in that situation, after hundreds of hours.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:29 pm I regularly get the drop on people and lose. I have to get the drop on a guy who's looking at his inventory screen or aiming down sight at someone else. And as I was complaining about in Discord chat 2 days ago, I can count on 2 hands the number of times I've come across someone in that situation, after hundreds of hours.
I also found that the target having disconnected from the Server prior to my acquisition is also very helpful.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

After playing the new map a lot I have to say I really like it. Even hot dropping isn't too bad due to the fact that there's so many guns to be found. One of the most frustrating things to me is to drop in an area earlier than everyone else and not find a gun in time. This rarely happens to me on this map. My goal is to finally break 10 kills in a solo match. Right now a lot of my rounds are 5-6 kills so I think it's doable.

It's REALLY easy to find a nice spot and wait for people to wander into you. Some of the bushes almost totally hide you when you are prone. The weird thing is that I rarely run into anyone else doing the same thing.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:29 pm I regularly get the drop on people and lose. I have to get the drop on a guy who's looking at his inventory screen or aiming down sight at someone else. And as I was complaining about in Discord chat 2 days ago, I can count on 2 hands the number of times I've come across someone in that situation, after hundreds of hours.
I also found that the target having disconnected from the Server prior to my acquisition is also very helpful.
I thought I saw a message pop up from you yesterday, but couldnt figure out where it came from. I was in a REALLY bad mood so playing with me wouldn't have been a good option. :mrgreen:

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Yup, was me via the Steam Friends Chat.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Two wins so far tonight. One tpp and one fp. :)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Very nice Oct. Way to go!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Played my first solo game in over a week. Landed on sanhok in hte middle of nothing as I was scared off my landing zone. Found a shack with 3 AR's. Snuck into another dudes zone and ambushed him. Now armed with an SKS and 4x scope and an m416 with red dot, lvl 2 helmet, lvl 1 armour and lvl 1 miniskirt, I spot another guy in his zone. I snipe him with suppressed SKS. Miss. He alerts, finds me, and I ding him twice before he opens up with his mini14 and 6/8 scope (not sure) and I survive with 5hp. I heal up and start flanking. I actually think for a second, knowing this guy is a ninja of epic proportions (he found and outshot me in the span of about 10 seconds) and realize he's flanking too. I continue, but keep an eye on my back. We both flank to our lefts, and he's there, and shoots my ass off. I get behind cover and heal up from 10hp to 75. I peek, he shoots, I peek the other side, nothing, I peek the first side again and a grenade lands on me. I give up and explode in a sea of viscera. Turns out the grenade landed on the rock I was using for cover and it was just a lucky bounce that got me. Oh well.

Just my luck. That guy made no mistakes and played like a champ right from the start. I hit him maybe twice at the beginning.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Played another. Nothing too interesting. Came at the Water Treatment plant from the east, found a guy in the trenches. Opened up with my sks and 6x, miss, miss, miss, ding, miss. I was sniping from the high hills on the east. I then ran off, leaving him with spectre of a shooter out there, somewhere, while I moved towards the new circle. Eventually I end up in Minas Generalis along with 4 other people all coming in from the north. I hear gun fire, and for some reason I insist on running around in a building on the metal floors. I get spotted but he misses. I move, he moves. He opens up full auto with his ump and I get stuck in a dump truck. I kid you not, I'm completely immobile and he's full auto from 60m. His clip is empty and I check my body. No hits! Wtf? I throw a smoke and move around. He's got my number and nothing I do fools him, except there is a small dip that I use to sneak through the very area where he has his red dot trained. I move completely under his radar by pure chance. I circle back around and blue circle pressure is making us both antsy. He's doing everything right except I managed to sneak out of the area he was covering. By the time he finds me I'm looking down the barrel of my scar-l. He's down before he can get his ump up and around. I then die to the circle 5 seconds after looting his body.

I assumed he was terrible based on the full auto but reviewing the replay, he's actually extremely strong. Somehow he misses me but he destroys 2 others shortly before engaging me and for the life of me I'm not sure how I survived. A combination of luck and a little guile somehow turned it around for me and I got the drop on him. Huzzah.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Thanks for the story, Goo. That last one was interesting and rather odd!

Thanks to Octavious for Duo'ing with me a bit last night. I feel like I learned a few things. My contribution was not negligible, but I still died well before he did. Goo, you know all those bastards who just whip their Kar up and smack you in the head with the same effort as tying their shoes? He did that with an M24 last night. :shock: Sigh. :(
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's what happens when you play 1,500 hours. ;) I'm actually kind of annoyed it took me this long to start getting somewhat good at it. :oops: I could have won that match. I over peaked when I got shot in the head. AND there was a crate right in front of me. I bet it wasn't looted and had a sweet sweet level 3 helmet. :x I took out 4 with the M24 so I'll get over it.

Frey the one thing I always notice that you do is that you spot people super well BUT you don't find cover after you do. When you got killed you were standing still on a hill. It couldn't have been an easier shot for them. You will die 100% of the time doing that. Spot, hide your booty if at all possible and then fight. Obviously if they are 3 feet away this doesn't apply. :lol:

If you watch that replay you will see that I book it for the tree, pop out and take out the first guy and get lit up a bit. Pop back out and take out the other guy. If I just crouched on the hill I would have been dead in seconds.

And the number 1 lesson. You don't have to shoot. I hide so much it's shameless. ;) Once it's like top 15 I start really only shooting if I KNOW I will kill the dude or he's going to block my movement. Let them all shoot each other and clean up the scraps. That's how I won like 90% of my matches.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey Frey, that crate that dropped right on my head gave me lvl 3 armour and helmet (I had lvl 3 backpack as you might remember) and that was the 10th time I equipped all 3 lvl 3 items at the same time, so I got the "Ok, Now I'm ready" achievement.

Also, that shotgun headshot in the doorway? The game recorded it as 5 separate headshots! Presumably because each pellet is a separate projectile. Lol.