PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

Since this is one of the best selling games on Steam, ever, I figure we should probably have a thread about it.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on it, I'm just not sure it's for me. I like the "pickup" nature of it, and the scramble to get some sort of gear when you drop, watching your back for ganks the whole time, but my days of fps in any sort of skilled environment are long behind me, if they ever existed at all.

The map is huge, although the playable area steadily shrinks to ensure conflict, and looks great.

A demo or free weekend sure would help, I think, although I don't see that happening any time soon.

I don't return games, so I'm not comfortable using steam's return policy to demo a game.
Redfive

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by Redfive »

I picked this up about a month ago and it's great. Hadn't posted about it because I wasn't sure there was much interest in this circle.

The tension the ever shrinking circle brings is outstanding and something I haven't experienced in a long time from a game. Sometimes (often even) you either A) get shot and never have any idea where it came from or B) get caught too far outside the circle and can't find a vehicle so you die to the attrition damage. If you accept this then the frustration level can be easily managed. Besides, you can immediately get right back into another match.

Steam tells me I've played about 15 hours I think and in that time I've made the top ten several times and won once. I am very average at online shooters if that is any measure to go by.

I prefer the still in beta first person perspective. Third person is good but I'm not adept enough to use / abuse the mechanic to see around corners that my character couldn't actually see, if you know what I mean.

There are duos and teams. If you pick it up and want to give that a go we can hop on the OO discord channel and give it a shot.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

At one point I would say that I was slightly above average fps player, but now I'd say I'm slightly below average. As mentioned in the Killing Floor 2 thread, I struggle at times. Other times I can get in a zone. I think part of it is client/server issues, but part of it is that I'm old and getting older.

That said, there are other skills involved in surviving a large furball like Battlegrounds than pure twitch skills, and I think I can be decent in those areas. Tactical thinking, planning ahead, stuff like that. Of course chance plays a large factor as well, given how many people are playing and the mechanics of it.

I will say your comments are encouraging.

How does it run on your system, and what is your system?

reading reviews, there are a disturbing number of people complaining about bans/temp bans because they picked on live streamers. Either by having someone's live stream running on a second monitor so they can see what they are doing so they can gank them, or just pissing off a streamer so they complain. From what I can tell the game is HEAVILY invested in the spectator aspect and it seems like they are loath to piss off any of the streamers that made the game so popular to begin with. While it sounds like typical gamer whining, there sure are a lot of them. It doesn't help that I think people who are willing to stream their gameplay to the public live, should expect to reap the rewards of such behaviour. i.e. if I broadcast to the world what I'm doing, I shouldn't be surprised that it gets me killed. That the developers seem to feel this is a legit reason to ban players is disturbing.

It can't be that hard to set up a time delay to a stream. Even 5 or 10 seconds would probably be enough to prevent any ganking based on the stream.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:if I broadcast to the world what I'm doing, I shouldn't be surprised that it gets me killed.
:twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I'm aware of those complaints but pay them no heed.

I'm not interested in anything like 'stream sniping' so it really isn't even an issue that I've seen.

I will sometimes stream this on Twitch because my dad likes to watch. He has an interest in things like this but it's a little high speed for him and he recognizes that. There is right at a 10 second delay built in so you could tell the general area where a streamer is but unless he's camping you aren't going to know where he is in real time.

Yes the tactical aspects that you mentioned are huge. Chance can and does play a role but you can most definitely increase your survivability by being smart.

Sound plays a giant role in this game as well and headphones are almost a must. Gunfire is directional as are footsteps and vehicle noise.

It's really a pretty damn smart game that happens to have tons of dudebros playing. This has never, ever been an issue for me though. Everything is anonymous..you can't chat..and if you want to hang around and dry hump someone you just killed your are likely to take a bullet in the ass.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

On the one hand, there seems to be some sort of culture war between the streamers and those who enjoy trolling "famous" people. I don't care about that even a little.

The only hesitation I have on that front is if there is any truth to bans being handed out on the whim of well known streamers. If I were to get banned just by playing the game and accidentally stepping on someone's toes who's having a bad enough day to use their pipeline to the devs to mess with me, that would be disappointing. Whether this is a legitimate issue or not, I have no idea. It was the sheer volume of complaints of this nature that made me pause.

As usual, a game is often more fun when you don't participate in the community until you've had enough time to form your own impression. Gamers as a whole seem to be getting more and more toxic, at least in competitive environments.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Forgot to answer your system question. This is what I have:

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-6600K 3.50GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16

HDD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read
& 520MB/s Write

HDD2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/2400MHz Dual Channel Memory

MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE GA-Z170X UD5 TH ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 3
PCIe x1, 3 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply

I would say it runs just fine with no issues. I have no performance concerns but I did raise the mouse sensitivity at first because turning and mouse look felt sluggish.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

One of the guys I LAN party with cannot get enough of this game. He's of the opinion that you need a microphone and the ability to chat in real time with team (or duo members) to be able to actually get anywhere, but he really enjoys the hell out of the game play overall. I was looking at it for a while but his comments on the whole microphone/chat element have made me stay away. Then again, I'm not ultra competitive nor would I ever look to team or pair up with randoms. Really, for me then, it would come down to how well does it play solo. The randomness of weapon drops and locations is really interesting to me, I will say that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

The solo play is great.

I would never play with randoms either --not interested--but I don't consider people on this board random, even if we've never spoken :)

I've only done one duo and that was with a guy I know.

The RNG can give and it can take for sure. I've been 10-15 minutes into a match with the circle shrinking and have nothing better than a pistol and maybe a shotgun. Shot guns are great even until the end game for close quarters but you really want an assault rifle or at least a sub machine gun for outdoor / ranged fights.

There is also periodically a C-130 that will fly over and drop a crate of what I understand to be high end gear that usually isn't found in the world. This presents the delicious choice of whether you should try to score some of that gear at the risk of everyone in the area knowing it's there. Camping that crate for kills is definitely a thing.

That said kills are only a means to an end. They give you a few points but you can kill 10 guys and still come in 20th place and dead is dead. Only number one is the winner winner chicken dinner.
Spoiler:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If the over 1 million concurrent users are any indication Smoove, it plays really well.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive, do you want to explain the in game currency and whatnot? My understanding is it's all for cosmetic items. Basically in game micro-transactions, loot crates, in game currency, it's all about customizing your look and has nothing to do with the mechanics and/or gameplay. Is that correct?

I can tolerate that sort of micro-transaction environment.

Install is under 7 gigs. :ninja:
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

GreenGoo wrote:
Install is under 7 gigs. :ninja:
Nice.

As I understand it, right now the currency is all cosmetic. You can buy crates that will have clothing and some of it is rare. They can be sold on Steam. I know the purple pleated mini skirt went for upwards of $200 :lol:

I bought one crate but apparently they still cost real world money to open. Not sure on that but I wouldn't know because I can't be bothered with it.

Get a few rounds under your belt and if you want to team up we can use steam chat or the OO discord channel for voice comms.

My steam handle is redfive878

That goes for anyone interested.

EDIT: you can have teams so it's not limited to duos
Last edited by Redfive on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Greengoo, that is correct. Crates are just skin packs for character and I think guns.

I bought this last week at GMG for $21. It's a fun game to play if you have a few minutes to spare. I wish it would just put you back into the menu after dying instead of technically restarting the game. Annoying.

I see people have guns in the "waiting area" do they keep the guns when inserted in the game?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

naednek wrote: I see people have guns in the "waiting area" do they keep the guns when inserted in the game?
No that's just for the dudebros with no attention span to play with for the 60 second wait at the start.

Actually, when I first started I'd run to the tables and try different weapons just to get a feel for them.

As I understand it there is an offline shooting range in the works. I think they are waiting to come up for air while swimming in the vats of money they are making before it's implemented.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Nope. Everything gets reset once the actual game starts so no keeping weapons from the waiting area.

What's funny though is setting somebody on fire right before the game starts as they'll still be on fire in the plane and will leave a burning trail behind the aircraft.
Last edited by Brian on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Brian wrote:Nope. Everything gets reset once the actual game starts so no keeping weapons from the waiting area.
You have it? We need to play.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I actually don't have it but have watched a ton of Let's Plays about it.

I really don't like playing games against unknown people on the internet. That's why I stick to cooperative PVE games like R6: Siege, Left 4 Dead, and Vermintide.

This game does mitigate most of what I hate about playing against rando's online and so have considered picking it up but....I know just how frustrated I get when I play badly against strangers and it's just not worth having to up my blood pressure prescription. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

GreenGoo wrote: As usual, a game is often more fun when you don't participate in the community until you've had enough time to form your own impression. Gamers as a whole seem to be getting more and more toxic, at least in competitive environments.

Oh, that's so true. I had been playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare before Christmas and generally enjoying myself. I had heard that the community was pretty scummy, but I hadn't had anything that had soured me until I encountered a player that ended up souring me on the game. The game was known for having lag and being mostly a melee game, that was known to cause problems vs client and server hits and what a person's client ends up seeing. Some team hits tend to be accidental as a result, but some assholes do it on purpose. So, I'm in this arena and it's pretty hectic close quarters battle between teams. If I ended up hitting someone on my team, I always felt bad about it, but when it's close quarters, it's almost impossible not to especially if someone comes within range or gets in between you and your opponent. I ended up facing one of my team waiting to see what he'd do as I didn't want to hit him by mistake, just standing still when he suddenly lays into me several times killing me in the process and I'm like WTH? It was enough of a surprise that I called him out in chat as a TKer to which he responds that it looked like I was about to hit him and that I had hit him during the match. Who's the bigger jerk now?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

and now I am thinking about buying this and has no interest whatsoever before... dammit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

coopasonic wrote:and now I am thinking about buying this and has no interest whatsoever before... dammit.
That is exactly how it happened for me too.

I think I was randomly browsing Twitch and I knew of its popularity so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. From there I started following a thread at Qt3 and next thing I knew it was all I was thinking about so I decided to pull the trigger.

I think it was you that said 1,000,000 concurrent play can't be wrong :twisted:

No that would be GG.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I find it dramatically more fun to play with a few buddies than solo. My only complaint is that the gunplay seems a little janky, but it's not enough of a problem to ruin the fun.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I grabbed this last week. Only playing solo, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm not the best at these types of games, but frequently make the top 10 in a match. So yay...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Picked this up about two months ago mainly to play with clan mates who are playing at the moment, but with the patches over the last few months etc, the game has gotten better. I play most nights these days with squad mates in teams of 2/3/4 using discord to chat. no Randoms :) and the team work is good especially with 4 you can lots apartment blocks quickly and distribute the loot quickly to everyone, get kitted up and find a good spot inside the circle.

Done quite a few solos too and got into top 10 last night and a chicken dinner :) :) , I like to find an out of the way spot, loot as much as I can then head into the circles, hiding in the forests rather than buildings as the circle decreases. The new fog map is good for me, old eyes, can't pick out the dots on the horizon as people :)

Think the game has some longevity, but would like to see a new map as well and the red danger zones to be a bit more dangerous rather than annoying, you have to be pretty lax to get killed in one.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Top 10 is more than I hope for, so yay indeed.

As for janky gunplay, I think I've witnessed some in videos I've watched. At the ranges some encounters occur at plus less than optimal ping can result in misses that you think we're for sure hits, or headshots when all you were doing was spraying a moving vehicle from a moving vehicle 100+ meters away.

I'll have to play to see how I feel about it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

naednek wrote:
I bought this last week at GMG for $21.
Damn it. I checked steam price history and saw it hadn't moved since release so pulled the trigger at full price.

I may not get to it until tomorrow so maybe we can try some team stuff this weekend.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I think there's 2 more maps coming. Desert one for sure. I wouldn't mind teaming up with some peeps one night.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Posted Steam handle up thread a little. Feel free to add me and hit me up any time for team play, would love to run a few rounds.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I loaded it up to set settings, then of course couldn't help but start a game. Got a kill when someone drove up to my house while I was still figuring stuff out. He had a LOT of stuff, and I was stressed about trying to figure it all out while in game. I installed a 8x scope on my sks but I couldn't figure out how to look down scope. Trying to remember which key I had set to reload (different than my usual, because of the lean mechanic, my typical reload works better as left lean) I fire off a single round then reload. In the time it takes me to fire that round and reload, someone opens a door a starts firing. I look down sight only to have the 8x scope work finally (I'd already done this multiple times) so I was looking at his kneecap or something when I died.

It's all good. 1 kill. Rank 50. 95 cash.

Need to set inventory key to something convenient because of how much inventory management you do, and how fast you do it. Having 4 hotkeys for healing items is a bit much. Still working on controls/keybinds.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Right click and let go for scope / ADS. Holding the right mouse does not do it and took me forever to figure out.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Here is the link to the OO discord channel.

https://discord.gg/24j68U

It's free and a great way for not only voice chat but real time chat like IRC. Good way to hook up with other OO'rs if interested in playing something.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Game keeps defaulting to asian server.

Fisticuffs was a waste of time, so I run, grab a shotgun, try to load it. Dude finds his own gun, we circle strafe. I hit him, but he hits me more. I'm the 3rd person to die in this game. 76 players, 73 still alive after I die. Lol? Definitely lol. edit: No wait, game says I'm rank 75. 2nd person to die in the game. Less good.

Movement is very drifty. Even walking. I don't mean bad connection drifty, I mean momentum drifty. Takes some getting used to.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

GreenGoo wrote:Game keeps defaulting to asian server.

Fisticuffs was a waste of time, so I run, grab a shotgun, try to load it. Dude finds his own gun, we circle strafe. I hit him, but he hits me more. I'm the 3rd person to die in this game. 76 players, 73 still alive after I die. Lol? Definitely lol. edit: No wait, game says I'm rank 75. 2nd person to die in the game. Less good.
Don't jump out of the plane so quickly. Wait a bit, jump out and glide away perpendicular to the flight path. You can get pretty far away and greatly reduce your early competition.

This is a great way to learn how and what to loot and equip without being too stressed about early contact.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote:Right click and let go for scope / ADS. Holding the right mouse does not do it and took me forever to figure out.
orly! Thanks.

First thing I did when getting on the plane? Turn voice chat off. 100ish people are trying to make people notice them. It's like middle school all over again.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Game keeps defaulting to asian server.

Don't jump out of the plane so quickly. Wait a bit, jump out and glide away perpendicular to the flight path. You can get pretty far away and greatly reduce your early competition.

This is a great way to learn how and what to loot and equip without being too stressed about early contact.
Great advice. When to jump out is a giant mystery to a first time player. I was first to the hanger, I didn't see anyone in the air around me, so I thought I might have a few moments.

Any specific controls that need to be mapped that might not normally be a priority in other games?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Not really. The default controls are pretty close to what I use in games usually. Just invert the mouse and I'm off!

Probably going to jump in a few rounds myself.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Game #3. Red dot sight. No weapons. Unable to beat armed man to death. Rank #79/99

Gameplay....compelling.

Desire to create unique snowflake appearance in a human sea of default gray...growing.

Next game, less good feelings. Heavily equipped, suppressor pistol, sks extended magazine, 12 gauge, level 3 helmet, crouching inside house, looking out of slat covered window, far back to take advantage of shadows and/or color distortion. Died without seeing my attacker. mini-uzi. After dying I could see him strafing left and right outside the window, but I never saw him despite looking out, not to mention I wasn't moving or creating noise of any kind.

These aren't complaints, this is just what happened. I had all the gear I needed to do better than before, but as you suggested Redfive, I never saw the hand holding the gun that fired the bullet that killed me. Oh well.

Rank #50. 0 hp xp. 0 kill xp.

I realize this is how the game plays out sometimes, so don't take it as a criticism of the game itself, only of THAT particular match.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dying and getting back to the staging area of a new match takes about 20 seconds or so. Staging area is max 60 seconds so far, and a place to practice your controls. Turn around is fast. Downtime is not even noticeable.

Watching people pile out of the plane is oddly mesmerizing.

Mirrors and your shadow are just as scary as others.

Just had an encounter. shotgun versus ump9 (Not sure what that is). Despite 12 gauge to chest, he remained standing. Took cover but when we engaged again, headshot and I was down. I had no helmet, he had something less then lvl3. Motorcycle?

I believe I've killed 1 person in 5 matches so far. I'll need to improve. :D
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Yeah tons of peeps jump out as soon as the plane is feet dry. I don't get that because it's a scrum when you hit the ground and I would think the odds are not in your favor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just had a duel where I was running across a field as the zone shrunk (no threat to me). Bullets started to land around me so I went prone. Didn't see him but figured out the direction. Got behind a tree. Eventually I spotted him. I only had a 9mm and clipped him a few times. He was very aggressive and in retrospect I really should have been able to handle him as he crossed open space. Nervousness and rookie status mistakes. I leaned around the tree and we sniped each other but I dropped first. He had a m(?)1911 which I believe is just a handgun, although more powerful than my 9mm I think. I'm not a gun person.

Rank #53/90.

More fun that time.

Taking a break until kids are in bed and house is quiet.

Early verdict: Too early to tell. Slightly better than I expected. That said, I was not sure what I expected.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: He had a m(?)1911 which I believe is just a handgun, although more powerful than my 9mm I think. I'm not a gun person.
You are correct. I'd be willing to bet that your 9mm holds double the ammo that his does, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)