PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

You can use healing while swimming now. Has that always been the case?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dropped on mil base (which I never do), found great stuff except armour, stayed alive until last 14, doing great, great position, kar with 8x, 416 fully kitted out and a 2x. Great. I'm scanning, have my back to the circle (and I had just passed through this area, no chance of enemies), tree between me and the rest of it. There is a set of buildings just outside the circle to my left that I'm keeping an eye on about 150m away, but so far nothing. I stop for literally 1 second to check the map for the next circle. Headshot, m24 vs lvl 2 helmet. Game over.

I watch the death cam, I can literally watch my model turn away from the buildings as this guy comes out. He runs a short distance, scans for enemies, sees me, but I'm juking (despite not knowing he was there). What's this? I stopped. To look at the map. 1 second. Bam, down I go.

I mean, I played that nearly perfectly, but the timing of that dude coming out of the building and the m24 shot was surreal. Nothing cheaty about it, just pure, bad luck. Incredibly bad luck. Now I would probably have lost the fight anyway, but I might have gotten a shot off, and if I landed a kar shot, maybe.

I don't know if I'm more frustrated than amazed. Geezus. It's hard to imagine a more unlikely and unlucky turn of events.

Welcome to PUBG.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I really hope that's a bug. Obviously lots of game mechanics require some suspension of disbelief, but that one just doesn't tread water.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Freyland wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:03 pm I really hope that's a bug. Obviously lots of game mechanics require some suspension of disbelief, but that one just doesn't tread water.

:D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm Well, the game finally decided to show me my FPP solo stats. According to them,I'm rated 1521, which puts me in the top 1.54% apparently, but given the problems I've been having with the stats, I have no idea if that's accurate.

Yeah I don't know conclusively, but last week I was close to a 1.0 K/D ratio and I am having a much harder time now. I am going to tell myself it is skill based matchmaking and I don't care if it isn't true!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think it's just luck. Saturday I couldn't do ANYTHING. Everything was going wrong and I just about tossed my computer into a wall. Played yesterday and almost won like 3-4 matches. Choked in the end in all of them, but at least I was doing better. My daughter and I have been killing it. The one match we had 7 kills. We would have had more possibly, but died to the circle.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Played one round yesterday, and went for conflict.

I was tooling around in an open-topped UAZ when I heard gunfire across the open plain. The shooter was nice enough to keep popping off single rounds enough to allow me to triangulate on them. I barely missed running them over, slew the car to a stop, and jumped into the back seat. My random number choice put me on the far side. I managed to win the gunfight taking ~75% damage with the car helping armor me enough to live through it.

I then ended up in a house with another person that walked past me and headed out a window. Having a rifle on single shot cost me, as they were able to turn around and mow me down. I had gotten a couple hits, but not enough, and I got target fixation so I didn't change position once I was exposed.

One kill and 30 HP score, with a top 30 finish.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stole a dude's car early game when he drove up to the warehouses I was looting (which left me with 1 shotgun and lvl 1 armour. Ugh). I could hear his AR firing a zillion rounds but I got away and drove to the church at the ruins. Added a lvl 1 helmet and a UMP and moved on, long drive south to the circle (thanks for the car, dude!). Looted an AKM and mini-14 in a 4 house cluster. Came down the stairs and promptly lost a duel to another poorly equipped dude, although he had the drop on me and I burned him down into the red. His fully auto 416 vs my fully auto AKM. He hit my head and I hit his body and that was that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dropped into Primorsk which is one of my go to locations and was looting and saw a gunfight on the hill northeast, it ended before I got in position. But I saw the winner running behind a building. I sent a few bursts his way and then chased him a house. He was upstairs with a pump shotgun. I had an M16, L1 vest, L2 helmet. I was feeling pretty good. I charged up the stairs and he hit me once and then I unloaded on him.

*click*
*ka-chunk of shotgun reloading*
*click* *click* *click*
*blam*

Oh look, I didn't have any more ammo.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah.

Had a #3 result. Circle was in a dense building cluster and when it shrunk again, me and another guy found ourselves face to face at about 5-10m. His scar was full auto, my m416 was single shot (I had an akm set to full auto) and that was the end of that. I expected to see someone's head popping out of cover so I was expecting to snipe, not knife fight.

So many deaths because I had my weapon set to the wrong firing mode.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I still suck at CQC, which includes somehow losing a duel vs a a pistol-wielding player who I technically had the drop on last night. Oy.

Two nights ago. Landed at a nice house cluster on Erangel. Looted up a M41A6 (only 2 clips), a silenced revolver and since I was alone, a crossbow. Could swear I heard looting in the other houses a few times, but never ran into anyone at all. Had a good circle, moved to another cluster a kilometer away. Because of my concerns about someone looting in the last cluster, I was feeling very paranoid and moving slowly in the houses. In the biggest house found another crossbow. Oddly, no bolts. Hmmm... nothing else seemed disturbed, including other loot. Regardless, was extra cautious going up the stairs. Good call, as Mr. Shotgun Camper was waiting. If I had just run up, he would have had a clear shot, but my caution placed cover between us and I only took a bit of damage compared to mowing his butt down. Go me! Later in the same game, I am advancing on the diminishing circles. Desperately trying to get some crossbow kills, but never hit my targets at distance. Second or third to last circle, see a player 100-200 meters to my right, good target. I either hit her, or hit her tree, because she clearly starts reacting to her mystery assailant. Fortunately, her reactions involved her running towards my bush. Crossbow death at 10 feet. Bwuhahahaa! Finally, I'm poorly placed for I think the last circle, and 9 alive. I eventually decide I have to run for it, half-way there I'm gunned down by super close automatic fire. Watching the death cam, the dude was crawling through the grass right next to where I ran. Just a bit to the right and I would have run right over him. Ugh.

Thanks to RedF1ve for playing last night!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm Hah.

Had a #3 result. Circle was in a dense building cluster and when it shrunk again, me and another guy found ourselves face to face at about 5-10m. His scar was full auto, my m416 was single shot (I had an akm set to full auto) and that was the end of that. I expected to see someone's head popping out of cover so I was expecting to snipe, not knife fight.

So many deaths because I had my weapon set to the wrong firing mode.
Keyboard must be back up and running, good for you.
I used to have my middle mouse button set to switch over to grenades, but recently changed it to "Firing Mode" for exactly that reason.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:54 pm I still suck at CQC, which includes somehow losing a duel vs a a pistol-wielding player who I technically had the drop on last night. Oy.
Dude you are not alone. Earlier in this thread is a link to a video of my PUBG fails. I stopped recording them, but that doesn't mean they stopped happening!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:01 pm
Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:54 pm I still suck at CQC, which includes somehow losing a duel vs a a pistol-wielding player who I technically had the drop on last night. Oy.
Dude you are not alone. Earlier in this thread is a link to a video of my PUBG fails. I stopped recording them, but that doesn't mean they stopped happening!
Heh. I forgot to mention that I had a shotgun.....
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:56 pm Keyboard must be back up and running, good for you.
I used to have my middle mouse button set to switch over to grenades, but recently changed it to "Firing Mode" for exactly that reason.
Yeah, I tracked the situation in a General Computing thread.

Seems to be at 100% now. Huzzah.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kind if in a meh mood this week so I have been sticking to solo. Few near wins the last couple of days. Just keep on cocking it up. Had more than a few sweet kills the last few days and a million frustrating deaths. They are so many people with ridiculous twitch skills that I know I'll never be able to match up with. Drives me nuts, but what am I going to do?

Fav. kill of the night, I was looking the motel in the desert map. I hear someone coming up the stairs to come end my round. Little does he know that there's a side door to the stairs. I open the door just after he passes it to camp my door and jump on the stairs behind him. Turn the corner and unload a full auto shot into him. He didn't even have time to twitch. :twisted:

Bunch of kills with the kar98. I heart that gun. Even with just a red dot I'm pretty damn good with it. Tip if you just have a redot. Just try to hit anything and then quickly switch to you main gun. One hit from the kar will get them super low no matter where you hit them and then it's easy to finish it with the other gun. I headshot someone with a level 3 helmet, switched to my m16 and they were toast before they could get a shot off.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm They are so many people with ridiculous twitch skills that I know I'll never be able to match up with. Drives me nuts, but what am I going to do?
I've yet to feel like I'm "slowing down" with age in terms of games. Back in my teenage years, I was always a mediocre FPS player - and in my 40's, I'm still mediocre. I have to accept that there will always be someone (may someones) faster and better and just be happy playing.

I've sat next to someone who was absurdly good at shooters, and I couldn't ever do what he did. I get the rare moment of clarity when it all clicks, but that's like once in every 50 rounds.

That one time in CounterStrike where I took out most of enemy team, even scoring a headshot in midair after noticing someone below me, with a P90, after jumping off a bridge then killing his buddy before he could react to me landing behind them.

That one time in World of Tanks where I took a T50 and ran it in mad circles through an enemy zone and scored something like 9 kills with them all shooting at me - before a Churchill finally finished me.

I have very few amazing rounds in any twitch game.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm Kind if in a meh mood this week so I have been sticking to solo. Few near wins the last couple of days. Just keep on cocking it up. Had more than a few sweet kills the last few days and a million frustrating deaths. They are so many people with ridiculous twitch skills that I know I'll never be able to match up with. Drives me nuts, but what am I going to do?
PUBG is a terrible game to develop your twitch kills because you spend very little time in actual gunfights and when you lose there is relatively large downtime until your next gunfight. Play CS:GO (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive) Deathmatch to get a lot more fast action shooting practice in. If you don't have it, it's on sale right now and check the price of the "Complete Valve bundle" as that was actually cheaper for me than CS:GO alone.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's a good point. I'm kind of scared to drop into Counterstrike this late into the game. I haven't played it since the first one a million years ago. I play Battlefield 1 a lot, but that's on the console so that's not helping me much either.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Had a fun one earlier today. Will try to keep this short.

Old map, dropped on power station by myself. Find everything you need for an AR except an AR. When I left the plant due to circle pressure, I had angled foregrip, suppressor, quick, ext mag, shoulder stock, red dot, 2x scope, 4x scope. No AR. I was sporting a VSS and an UZI (no attachments). I decided just to use the VSS on full auto instead of switching to the uzi in CQC. CQC never happened.

I had a ton of healing. 5 first aids, 4 boost drinks, 10 bandages (I only ever pick up 10 of these now, then stop). That was good, because I literally chased the circle to the north shore. I kid you not. From the southeast corner to the middle north shore. On foot. The whole way. It was nuts.

Near the end, I'm climbing a hillside when I see a dude about 250m ahead of me. He's racing the circle and so am I, but I fire at him anyway. I scare him, fire some more shots, but never hit. I then circle around to avoid his ambushes and keep running. I like to think he died to the circle because I made him take cover. *shrug*

Awhile later I'm at the top of a hill looking down at the northern coast line. A small clump of buildings to my left, inside the new circle. Great. Shots fired to my right. Fantastic. There are about 10 of us. Well, the circle starts to close and I run down the hill just as a dude behind me and to the right starts firing at another dude, and the guy in the house and another dude start a firefight. We are all converging into this tiny circle that is mostly empty field plus those buildings. Well watching the death cam and replay, I see the guy outside the house kill the guy inside. I kill the guy outside the house with rapid fire VSS shots from 100m or so while I run for the circle. Dude behind me kills a guy to my right, then turns and hits me once with an SKS and I drop. Just not enough hp, although I thought lvl 2 armour would have done more.

It was like the end of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World, with everyone running down the hill and into the circle, firing as we went. I ended up 4th, with a single kill.

The run was noteworthy in itself, due to the distance, but then the finish was pure mayhem and chaos.

I never did get my hands on an AR.

Whee.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I love reading these AAR, keep them up :D

I'm now reinstalling the game for the fourth time :roll:. I play, do terribly, get frustrated then uninstall. Then the next day I think that it was stupid to pay so much for the game and only play a few hours so I reinstall. And then I spend an hour or so dying right away in multiple matches, then rage quit and uninstall. The cycle continues.

Man, I gotta find something else to do in-game on the maps :shock:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 pm I had a ton of healing. 5 first aids, 4 boost drinks, 10 bandages (I only ever pick up 10 of these now, then stop). That was good, because I literally chased the circle to the north shore. I kid you not. From the southeast corner to the middle north shore. On foot. The whole way. It was nuts.
I do that soooo often. I have three go to starting spots on the Erangel map, Primorsk in the far southwest, Lipovka in the far east and the apartments at the school. Oddly enough I generally end up doing lots of running from the apartments because there are generally only two vehicles around there and they are long gone when I decide to move. From Primorsk I can sometimes grab a boat if I need to go east and actually same thing for Lipovka if I need to move west, but about a quarter of the time I end up running across the entire map when I start in those locations. I probably spend half my in game time running.
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 pm I love reading these AAR, keep them up :D

I'm now reinstalling the game for the fourth time :roll:. I play, do terribly, get frustrated then uninstall. Then the next day I think that it was stupid to pay so much for the game and only play a few hours so I reinstall. And then I spend an hour or so dying right away in multiple matches, then rage quit and uninstall. The cycle continues.

Man, I gotta find something else to do in-game on the maps :shock:
You aren't going to get better by uninstalling. You just need to eliminate the rage component. You are going to die. A lot of the time it will be stupid and out of your control, but sometimes it will be a mistake on your part. Watch the Death Cam, see what happened, figure out what you can change to avoid that next time. The more you play, the better you will get to know the maps too. This will make you more comfortable and improve your performance. Just don't let it upset you. There are people out there that are very good, and also they get lucky. I've been that lucky guy a bunch of times (just not chicken dinner lucky :P), you'll get your turn.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 am You aren't going to get better by uninstalling. You just need to eliminate the rage component. You are going to die. A lot of the time it will be stupid and out of your control, but sometimes it will be a mistake on your part. Watch the Death Cam, see what happened, figure out what you can change to avoid that next time. The more you play, the better you will get to know the maps too. This will make you more comfortable and improve your performance. Just don't let it upset you. There are people out there that are very good, and also they get lucky. I've been that lucky guy a bunch of times (just not chicken dinner lucky :P), you'll get your turn.
I'm getting better at suppressing the rage :roll: and I'm even learning some new tactics. Like, if you are moving through fairly empty terrain, it still pays to stop, drop and look behind you to see if someone has been chasing you :shock:. And I'm getting more accustomed to the idea that sometimes you just get a bad landing spot and either you get nailed early or you have no decent gear.

And I did have a laugh out loud moment last night. I landed and ran inside a building to search. I open a door and there is someone else, also gearless, also searching. We start pounding on each other and after a few seconds I die, and as the death cam zooms out, I see that he died as well. Didn't know that could happen :clap:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 am And I did have a laugh out loud moment last night. I landed and ran inside a building to search. I open a door and there is someone else, also gearless, also searching. We start pounding on each other and after a few seconds I die, and as the death cam zooms out, I see that he died as well. Didn't know that could happen :clap:
If you didn't know, a punch headshot is way more damage so jump and punch him. If you time it right, you win. You can practice that in the lobby while you wait for the world's longest one minute timer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Yep, let me just state the obvious and say that you are going to die every single game, unless you win :)

The most frustrated I get is probably a deep sigh for gearing up and chasing the circle for 20 minutes only to die immediately at first contact. Even then it's not too bad.

It's much worse when you come in 2nd and can pinpoint the things you needed to do to win.

Last night there were 4 people left and two of them were GreenGoo and myself.

The other two players had to enter essentially open ground to get to the small circle so they threw 3 smoke grenades to cover their travel. It only kind of worked and Green and I had at the minimum 3-4 shots at them before they reached a rock.....

Death cam tells me I hit my killer exactly 1 time :(

I need to get better at headshots. Period.
Last edited by Redfive on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Redfive wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:59 pm Yep, let me just state the obvious and say that you are going to die every single game, unless you win :)
I can't remember which YouTube guy it was that said a while back, "The very best player in the game wins 25% of the time... think about that, 75% of the time he gets killed just like you."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

First solo chicken dinner I believe. Some luck was involved, but I'm starting to accept that luck is needed most of the time. Sorry for the hiss. I believe it's my mic being recorded. You can hear me let out a sigh on the final kill. :D

Enlarge Image

Killing #4.

Killing #2.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Outstanding, Goo, just outstanding.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Congrats :)

I'm amused that you killed the guy in the ghillie suit before he could spot you. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Nice work Goo, knew that would come with persistence :clap:
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Woo congrats. I still only have a handful of wins. I just lack the patience in the final circle. Maybe someday I'll get better.

Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Was fun playing last night! Thanks again and grats on the win.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks guys.

My farthest kill this season is 176m, and that final kill was 174m.

I watched the entire replay from start to finish, but I fast forwarded pretty much everything until the island, then I switched views to watch all the firefights happening. I heard most of them during the game, but only witnessed 1 or 2. It's a pretty cool tool to see how others played out the end game. There were a number of what I consider better players than me or the #2 guy that all managed to kill each other before reaching the end, so that was nice of them. The gillie suit was looted from #2's last kill, so he was only wearing it for that last minute or 2. Of course it was desert coloured, so that didn't help much. :D

When I watched the replay of the last fight from #2's position, I was HIGHLY visible, so I have to wonder if the replay and the actual play render people in bushes differently for some reason.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cortilian wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:58 pm Was fun playing last night! Thanks again and grats on the win.
Yep, lots of fun and the more the merrier. Hope to see you again some night.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not a great session today. Yesterday I couldn't get into the top 10, and today I'm dying somewhere between 20-30, although in fairness, I've been shot out of my vehicle chasing the circle at least 3 times, so that's not really good or bad play, imo. You die in vehicles sometimes. That's all.

edit: Drove from NW corner to SW corner (power plant) on a motorcycle, racing the circle the whole way. get out, hide behind concrete barrier, heal, stick head up, bang, head shot.

I knew I was at serious risk, it still sucks =D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just reported my first potential cheater. Not 100% sure, but it sure seemed fishy.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Here's another option to get better at PUBG:

Reviews aren't really good right now but it's something to take a look at if you want to practice with various equipment setups.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am Here's another option to get better at PUBG:

Reviews aren't really good right now but it's something to take a look at if you want to practice with various equipment setups.
Lol at one of the reviews-- "should add squad multiplayer". It's a fricken game mechanics trainer! It says that on the tin! Perhaps that gentleman needs guidance on proper rezzing of teammates, idk.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Having trouble finding out data on the new player zone mechanics since the v1.0 (maybe an earlier patch) when they increased the damage.

I've been caught outside the circle near the end multiple times (like, 100m or so), thinking I can heal myself enough to make it into the circle, only to have my health drop through the floor and die in seconds instead of 10's of seconds like I thought I would. It also seems like the initial damage per tick is completely manageable, but before I get a chance to use a first aid kit the damage has increased past what even a first aid kit can keep up with.

I realize this is my fault, so I'd like to educate myself on how everything works so I can keep better tabs on things. Most of what I'm finding is early to mid summer data.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just had a close encounter, I had pump action, he had over/under, I shot him point blank, he immediately switched to his uzi and burned me down before I could pump another round into the chamber.

When was the last time you had 2 hp left, were 5m from someone, and had enough time to switch weapons, let alone switch weapons AND burn them down from 20hp to 0 before they could fire a second round?

I am NEVER using a pump action ever again, unless I have no choice.

Worse, I had a 416 on full auto but chose the shotgun because of the range.

NEVER. EVER. AGAIN.

I'm actually not pissed off, because I learned something valuable. Seriously. I'm more incredulous than anything.

I didn't see what armor he had, but probably lvl 2, since most if not all pellets hit him in the chest and he still had 2 hp.

edit: Separate issue, but I accidentally upgraded my GeForce Experience software and it seems to have completely eff'd up it's in game overlay. I can't even alt-tab out of the game at times, and other times the mouse just doesn't respond. Gonna try to downgrade back to the old version.

Hate. GeForce. Experience.