PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by Octavious »

I really suck when playing in squads. I just have a hard time knowing where the heck I should be and having a good situational awareness. Green might not know it, but he's fantastic in squads. Taking people down left and right while I'm eating bullets for breakfast. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I didn't mean to protest any false modesty. Believe me, I was extremely happy with a couple of games. That said, CQC can go either way and that game things just went my way.

I am reminded of my skill level every time I play solo. I like squads because it gives enemies someone else to shoot at, which allows me to get a shot off, which doesn't always happen in solo play (still. It has been like that since day one.).

We've had a rough couple of nights, and when that happens nerves get frayed and tempers shorter. I barked (again) at Frey for no reason other than I was frustrated. I might take tonight off squad play just to get my head on straight. It's supposed to be fun and snapping at people sucks for both sides. We'll see. In any case, I'll be back Friday at the latest. I enjoy playing with other people more than solo, although solo has it's own, unique appeal.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I like both but I certainly need practice working as a team. I'm too gungho lol. What I'll try and do is give advice on wherr I think people are going to be. I'm very good at that and haven't been doing it enough. Like that house at the end. I f I got that out a bit earlier we could have won that fight.

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Well, Goo one advantage of squad play is unless you say my name I don't realize you are telling at me in particular! Now that I know of course I will have to add it to litany of things I need to review at my upcoming pubg counseling appt, right after we cover PTSD from friendly fire. :P

It's all good Goo. I have no memory of what you may have said and I don't recall ever thinking, "wow, why did he say that?" at any time. And you certainly did rock things yesterday.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Snapped a couple of things during combat. Mostly it was tone. It's starting to be a pattern this week so I need to chill out.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya jerkwad! :P

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's not just that's it's rude, it also means my temper is shortening and I generally try to be laid back. I don't like being grumpy. Wait, I do like being grumpy, I don't like feeling like I don't control the grumpy.

Let's drop it. Already a bigger deal than I meant it to be.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:lol: If I'm not online tonight it's because I'm trying to practice not sucking at the game. God I was terrible yesterday. :lol:

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

After y'all left me last night, I played a few squad "pick-up" games. First one gave me one partner who bailed and left me alone. That went better than expected, with me getting 2 kills and bring the 3rd person left when I died.
The second game I got an excellent gentleman named Argentinian_Fox. Very level headed, easy to work with. We were the second to last squad in the game, but just not quite enough. Can't find him on steam, sadly. Fun stuff.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Squad play really makes things a lot more fun, but it can be frustrating too because not everyone does things your way. The bastards.

I've been playing again for a few days now and I am doing a lot better than before my break with no reasonable explanation except maybe most of the good players quit. I had another 2nd place yesterday where I had 3 kills and I just couldn't figure out where the last guy was. I got headshot by a kar as the timer was counting on the close to the last circle. You know the circles are tiny at that point, but I just couldn't see the guy. Probably in a bush. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I picked up another 2nd place finish, and a 4th place. That was only my 2nd second place and I've never won a chicken dinner. I was killing the 3rd place guy when the eventual winner stole my kill, which told me where he was in general. I couldn't find him however, and I died to the circle. He never showed his face, so I'm thinking he was outside the circle too and just used healing. That's what I should have done to buy myself a little extra time before I would have had to move. This was winnable but I just didn't pull it off.

Before that however, I came upon another player (somewhere around 10 people left) who was about 10-15m in front of me. I switched from my suppressed 416 to my S12k (not sure why) and shot him in the back. It didn't kill him and he went prone. I fired twice more, missing both times. I have no idea how that was possible. In any case, it was FPP and he never looked behind him, so I literally walked up to him, stood right over him, jammed the muzzle against his back and fired twice (the first killed him). Weird.

In my 4th place finish I stole someone else's kill near the end, which felt pretty good. It was at medium range, and I only had a red dot on my scar-L, so it was a pretty good shot in the rain, imo.

Lots of games where I died without accomplishing anything though. Lots and lots of games.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Doom's acrobatics with us in the car should be available below by morning.

Doom rolls the barrel
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

It was pretty much all Doom last night, after Goo and Red left. One round we had looted in a big circle near the ruins, and ended up at the 4 yellow buildings on a ridge nearby. A motorcycle with sidecar drove towards the ruins and Doom managed to knock out one of the Duo, and then the other once he got out. While we were looting them, another cycle drove up to brawl. It was just one guy, was busy with Doom, so I was able to flank and eliminate. After that we traveled maybe 200 meters when *another* vehicle went right where we left. This one, a UAZ, did not handle the hills well and nosedived. Just as it was bouncing from that, Doom lit it up and it exploded, killing both occupants! I don't remember how we died on the round, but it was certainly fun.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bought my daughter a gaming laptop for Christmas. Along with Borderlands I plan on trying this with her. Should be interesting.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Took a swing at the test server tonight. I got lucky and got the new map.

Some quick observations.

New vehicles. I was driving a beatup pickup truck with a covered bed and 4 seats. Slow and loud, as you'd expect from a well used truck.

New weapons. Saw an R45 and a sawed off shotgun. Didn't use either so I have no idea what they are like.

Map is not finished cooking. Tons of graphical glitches. Bushes in the air, roof vents inside on the second floor of a building. Tons of little things. None of it affected my play, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were game ending glitches out there.

You can map the key that switches between underhand and overhand grenade tosses. This one was my pet peeve, so this is a HUGE one for me.

You can now "HOLD" instead of "TOGGLE" aim. I know this one is a pet peeve of Octavious's, so I expect that will make him happy.

When I jumped from the plane, none of my normal controls worked. I was unable to move at all, and just fell straight down until I landed. Since the config was carried over from the regular game (all my graphical and control settings stayed the same) I'm not sure what happened there. Once I was on the ground, everything was back to normal.

Vaulting is awesome. You can have a single key that is context sensitive as to whether you want to jump ONTO something or vault OVER it. You can also map 2 separate keys, 1 to only vault, 1 to only jump, if you want. There is a learning curve if you're a perfectionist, but it works completely fine for basic movement.

KillCam. While it took a little long to load, it is totally worth it. It shows the last few seconds of the firefight from the perspective of they guy who killed you. You can now tell where your killer was, after the fact, as well as see what YOU looked like from his perspective. Thought you were in complete cover? Nope, you can now see that your legs were sticking out, etc. I think I might be in love with this feature.

If I think of anything else, or I play some more and see anything else, I'll come back and mention it.

Oh, on a personal note, I made a tweak to my keybinds that should help me a bit more in some situations. I've been getting frustrated with my movement during CQC fire fights, and this should help a bit (so this is sort of exciting for me).

Freyland, I downloaded the new Test Server last night and it worked without a hitch. I did have to recreate a test account, redesign an avatar etc, so they are clearly wiping servers between builds (as is expected). I played 3rd person so I could see the vaulting in action. Game did not crash for me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I forgot to mention that the lobby ui is completely changed and much slicker. Also, on the map, instead of a tiny teardrop looking icon representing yourself and the direction you're facing, it is now a dot with 2 lines radiating out from it, representing your FoV. So if you're facing north, you have 2 lines pointing NW and NE, if that makes sense to anyone.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

whoa you can hold aim? They didn't hace that on there last week. That's huge for me. Yay!!!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well apparently you can do it in t elive version too via the ini. Works like a charm! Finally.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:35 pm Well apparently you can do it in t elive version too via the ini. Works like a charm! Finally.
Orly? I'm pretty sure the hand grenade one was not in the "production" ini. I wonder if the Aim one was. Or maybe if you go on the test server it adds entry to the ini file, which is the same one used for both servers (pretty sure).

I'm going to see if there is a grenade entry in my ini file now.

edit: And...it's there. I just realized that I threw 2 smoke grenades back to back through windows in one of our games. I probably couldn't have done that if the key for changing throw styles (over versus underhand) hadn't been remapped. So it has been working since I played on the test server yesterday, I just didn't realize.

So that's cool.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Played solo for a bit today. While there were plenty of frustrating matches, there were a few where I made it into the top 10 and out gunned what I consider decent players. Even got a headshot with a Kar98.

Of course it was from 15 meters, the guy was running right at me, I was hidden in a bush and he was just crossing over the wall which had been eating him while he ran.

So not exactly a skill shot, but I'll take it.

I had another target that was doing a great job of juking while stationary. I probably should have just left him alone, since I couldn't get my reticle onto his head for any decent length of time. I eventually fired 4 shots at him, all were misses. I watched the video, and 2 shots were mere millimeters from his head (the bullet zing probably deafened him), so I feel pretty good about my aim, he just did a great job of never standing still or moving in the same direction for any length of time.

He found me and as I switched to my M16 (because he was closing, he mowed me down with his 416. Ah well.

The earlier kill might be my very first K98 kill. I almost never have the gun, and if I find one, I never have a scope for it. This time I had a 2x, which for me, is a HUGE improvement over no scope.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

When I play solo lately, I take a 5.56mm AR and the 7.62mm AKM. *If* I find a sniper rifle, I replace one of the ARs.

I use the AKM on full auto for possible CQC encounters and the 5.56 rifle for long range (the AKM kicks like a mule).

I don't pick up pistols if I find something else first, and I don't pick up shotguns or submachine guns if I find an AR first (with at least 2 cartridges/clips).

That said, I had a CQC encounter recently while equipped with an UZI on full auto. I just held the trigger down and moved the reticle up and down his body until he stopped moving. That was pretty satisfying.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Much better with the new aim. It doesn't nake me a god or anything, but damn it's so much easier to quickly scope now. Yay

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Just as I was questioning the appeal of the uzi, I too had a few satisfying experiences with it in the last few days.
Hope you guys will be on later tonight. I am reaching that point where I really don't enjoy single player that much. I miss the companionship I guess, and think about it's absence as soon as I load up.

Oh, and my last two attempts at random duos were a giant waste. The first guy had a mic, maybe said two words, and dropped into a city where he promptly died. The second guy didn't talk, didn't share a marker, and did his own thing (and died).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Was a pretty good night, it just ended on a sour note for me. Frey and I had some good runs, and things in general were perfectly fine and enjoyable in squad.

Good luck Frey and Doom. See you and Red and Oct another night!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 amKillCam. While it took a little long to load, it is totally worth it. It shows the last few seconds of the firefight from the perspective of they guy who killed you. You can now tell where your killer was, after the fact, as well as see what YOU looked like from his perspective. Thought you were in complete cover? Nope, you can now see that your legs were sticking out, etc. I think I might be in love with this feature.
That's awesome. I hope it's like the last 15 seconds and not just the last 3 seconds. I'd want people to really know the effort I put into stalking them. I also want to have people watch themselves run past me while I lay in the grass and shoot them, not just "a guy laying in the grass shot me" ... :D
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's not a huge amount of time. It's definitely less than 5 seconds.

It should have an interesting effect on cheaters though.

We saw via the running log that someone got about 10 headshot kills in a row, using their fist. That seemed questionable, although we weren't able to see the context and it was at the beginning of the match. It implies that 10 people stood around getting into fistfights with the same guy instead of running and looting weapons. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seemed iffy.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:26 am It's not a huge amount of time. It's definitely less than 5 seconds.

It should have an interesting effect on cheaters though.

We saw via the running log that someone got about 10 headshot kills in a row, using their fist. That seemed questionable, although we weren't able to see the context. It implies that 10 people stood around getting into fistfights with the same guy instead of running and looting weapons. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seemed iffy.
And by "in a row", he means in extremely rapid succession. There might have been, at most, 2 kills from other people mixed in with the 10 that scrolled rapidly through the log.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:34 am Was a pretty good night, it just ended on a sour note for me. Frey and I had some good runs, and things in general were perfectly fine and enjoyable in squad.

Good luck Frey and Doom. See you and Red and Oct another night!
Btw, on I think our last run for the night, Doom pointed out that the houses I marked were the same where the entire group died off on your last match. While we were on the second floor, again facing South, another team drove up and in the ensuing firefight,..... we died. Lol.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Probably won't have a ton of time this week, but we'll see. I did get to try out the updated hold to aim and OMFG it's so much better for me. I was pulling off quick shots that I totally couldn't do before. Clicking to scope just doesn't work for me and has been a major annoyance. I quick scoped with a kar98 and nailed one guy. I know for 100% that I wouldn't have been able to make that shot before. Might be on a bit tonight, but I'm trying to not stay up late. I've been killing myself lately with that.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So, I have returned to work from my 9 day break, and will be working the rest of December and every day in January except for 2 weekends. This won't so much affect the duration I am available to play, as I probably still stay up later than you sane people, but since they are 24 hour shifts it does open the door to me being called away emergently during play, or, more commonly, finding myself with a hospital page and determining if it can wait or needs more urgent attention. Invariably, there *will* be some point where we are all running desperately to beat the circle and I will have to be left behind because I'm on the damn phone. This is less of an issue if I'm already dead, of course.
Anyways, just some bumps I wanted my partners to be aware of. :wub:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Two punch kills today, one was a headshot against another unarmed chump, the other was a two hit while she tried to load an M16.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Good job team!

Enlarge Image
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

:clap:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We had a pretty good night. Even the rounds that we didn't win we did a lot of damage. Being able to hold to aim has made a gigantic difference for me. I actually felt somewhat useful yesterday. Even wacked someone with a pistol.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Red has WAY more patience than I do. He just chilled and waited for the dude to pop up. I would have been running around like a madman trying to find the guy. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Redfive wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:38 am Good job team!
Hah! Figures. Well done squaddies!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I wonder if that was the round that I got run over. There was a lot of things being run over last night. :lol: My fav. was the guy who tried to run me over with a jeep. I ducked behind a rock, he hit the rock tumbled and then got knocked out. :lol:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yet another second place, but this time I was active in the end, taking out #6 and #3 (my only two kills in the match). The eventual winner and I were in the final circle, each with no idea where the other was. After about 90 seconds he raised up to a crouch and spotted me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

1.0 drops today. Now we can die in the desert too! I had a terrible time last night playing solo. No matter what I did it ended up being the wrong move. Oh well.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:24 am 1.0 drops today. Now we can die in the desert too! I had a terrible time last night playing solo. No matter what I did it ended up being the wrong move. Oh well.
Tomorrow (Thursday, 12/21) for all but the left coasters (11pm tonight for them) if the countdown timer on the steam home page is to be believed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter