PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by Paingod »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 am Guys, is this game still great if you play solo? I am such a newbie at MP (and generally not a fan, especially with voice) that I tend to veer away from stuff like this, but the videos I have seen look so great, hard to miss out!
I played almost exclusively solo with voice disabled, so I couldn't hear anything anyone was saying - good or bad. I'm not a huge FPS person, but got into this pretty easily. In this game, I spent a lot of time stalking people and didn't generally play to win. I played to survive. As such, it wasn't hard for me to get into the top 10 of each round without even having fired a shot.

The downside is that because you can spend so much time out of combat, when it happens it's easy to be unprepared. How do you practice shooting when you spend 99% of the game not shooting? You can drop in to dense populations, not care, shoot at everything and die quickly for practice. I never wanted to. I was on a very slow track to becoming a good shooter. There are a lot of guides out there to help. Bullet drop and leading your targets are things you have to contend with and learn to work with.

I can't imagine the game play has changed much since I dropped out a while ago. No one's complained about any of the fixes.

Ultimately I stopped playing because I was staying up until midnight and going to bed on an adrenaline rush that kept me up for another 30-45 minutes. I need to get up at 5:00. I can work just fine on night after night after night of 5 hours of sleep, but not 4.5 or less.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, the new map they're working on is 1/4 of the area of the first two, so I imagine that we're all going to get more opportunities at combat.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Combat practice is tough to come by. I used to practice with the sniper rifles using their iron sights during the staging area on the first map, but they've removed all weapons from there now so it's even tougher to get practice, especially with the rarer weapons.

I have hundreds of hours in the game now and still feel that I don't have enough experience with most of the weapons. Things like shotguns don't require a huge amount of practice, but pretty much everything else does, even grenades. The precision nature of marksmanship in the game means that unless you were already a competitive FPS player, having FPS experience is just not enough. A game like borderlands or bioshock just does not prepare you for the speed and precision needed.

I tend to need 1 big mouse movement to get the crosshair on target, and 1 small mouse movement to put it where I want to hit. That extra step gets me killed at least 50% of the time, even if I start firing after the first movement. A headshot is worth 2-7 bodyshots, depending on the weapon.

I recently spotted a dude crouching and looting at about 75-100m, and I managed to put the crosshair of the 4x scope right on his head, and when I pulled the trigger, it was a headshot. That happens so rarely for me that it was noteworthy. A completely stationary target is a rare miracle, so chances are I would have killed him no matter what, but managing to get the crosshair where I wanted on that first big mouse movement was a big win for me, and the fact that the game registered a headshot was a nice bonus.

I don't think things are particularly wonky for me, but I do think that my location in Canada has meant that even minor lag issues have resulted in shots that should have hit but didn't. The lag isn't noticeable, but reviewing my captured video (and not the replays) shows that my crosshair was on the target when I pulled the trigger, yet the game tells me after that no damage was done. Which can be *really* frustrating considering just how fast combat can be and how important getting the first shot off is, and how big a deal a headshot is. My point is that even when I do everything right the game tells me I suck. While I fully admit I do suck at times, I do not suck as much as the game suggests I do. That pisses me off.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Earlier today I was racing the circle on a bike/side car and the red circle appeared. I watched 3 explosions happen in a row in the exact same place ahead of me and when I arrived at that location, a 4th. So that's 2 deaths to the red zone after months of nothing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Talking about the changes to parachuting as of v1.0

Here are the new distances assuming immediate deployment of the chute except for the first 126km/h entry. For that entry you just let the chute open automatically when you are low enough.

Enlarge Image

In order to gain an additional 500m you need to double (+100%) your flight time and in order to gain an addition 900m you need to increase your flight time by 150%. The farther you parachute the less time you'll have until the circle moves, obviously.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got a couple firsts for me.

First 4-kill game, including two headshots, one with a Kar-98.
The next game, I got my first vehicle kill with an AKM. I don't think I hit the driver once, but him hopping out just before it blew caused his flaming SUV to roll backwards over his corpse.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you haven't already enabling the blue blood makes tracking hits MUCH easier.

First, you'll want to open Steam and right-click on PUBG in your Game Library. Then left-click and hit "Properties," before clicking "Set Launch Options." Finally, you'll need to type "-KoreanRating" in the text box.
Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/37 ... h3IpapA.99
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just watched a replay of ours. Frey, Red, Max and I. Frey got killed early and we couldn't find the team that killed him so we bailed across country got in a bronco and kept going. Eventually Max took a pot shot at someone up on a hill while we chased the circle and Red and I were like "wtf man". eventually we got into a firefight with another group and Red got knocked out after knocking one of them out, I raised him and he killed another of the team and got two kills (I assume). Well that 2 man team is the same team that killed Frey way back at the start, so that's some nice poetic justice there.

I eventually killed a dude with my ump while he was trying to scale the cliff to get to the circle, and then I got stuck on a cactus and died to the circle, leaving us in second place with a 2 man team winning it.

Just thought I'd mention that we eventually got our revenge on the team that killed Frey, even if it was 15 minutes later and 2 km away from where and when Frey died.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hooray for violent Justice! :twisted:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holy mother of pearl. Just bounced a cooked grenade off a tree branch right back into my lap, no time to move. 7th with 2 kills. Should have been at least 6th with 3 kills (well, you know, maybe :D Dude didn't know I was there until I wasn't, so to speak).

Lol. Too funny.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We tried to join some custom matches and failed. Headroom had to bail so we did some duos. Won one it a weird fashion. Two dudes were in a building and Thunder was stuck under the building. Turns out the two dudes weren't on the same team. Eventually they both bailed out and Thunder killed the one. The other ran back into the building and the circle did the final collapse into nothing. Thunder made a run for it and out lived him for the win. :horse:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

900 hours according to steam. Some of that is totally me leaving it open sometimes, but probably not much. :lol: That's 22.5 weeks of work at 40 hours. :lol:

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

How long have you had the game?

I'm only at 160ish hours which seems like a lot (it is, right?) for any game that isn't an MMO.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

September 17th.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm seeing references to different kill points awarded in solo/duo/squad games. Has anyone noticed this?

There are multiple references, some as late as December 2017, where:

solo: 1 kill = 20 kill xp
duo: 1 kill = 15 kill xp
squad: 1 kill = 10 kill xp

Does that make sense to anyone?

I've seen some weird damage experience points awarded and when I try to match them up to the weapon I used, there are times when the weapon is not capable of doing the damage that would award the damage xp I received.

From what I gathered, and what I've seen on the internet corroborates this, a person has 100hp, and for each 5hp of damage, you get 1 damage xp, which is why when you kill someone from 100% to 0% you get 20 damage exp. This implies that when you get 7 damage xp you did somewhere between 32.5 and 37.5 damage after armour damage reduction. I don't know how the rounding is done, but I think the previous guess is reasonable.

The entire reason I'm interested in this is because this should be one of the more accurate ways of determining how much damage you did. Yet, the awarded exp doesn't always coincide with this calculation which is very strange since it should be pretty straightforward. It makes me wonder if this is another part of the game that is "broken" in that the calculation seems to be off at times. Sync issues can be blamed for a lot of the shots that should have hit but missed, however the exp calculation should be pretty simple and hard to break.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have never noticed any difference, but I also don't really care about the points at all. Except to see if I hit anyone. :lol: Down again for a patch because... With daylight savings it will now run through to 1am. So ya...

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

9 GB patch? I think I'm about ready to uninstall this game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:01 pm 9 GB patch? I think I'm about ready to uninstall this game.
Yep, not what I would call a professional release practice.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fixed the blue blood effect being more visible than the red blood effect when player gets shot.

BOOOO

Ya it took me 20 minutes to download! :mrgreen:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fyi, they've added achievements.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Sweet I should have all of them in a week. ;)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

• Died to a hacker
  • Died within thirty seconds of landing
  • Killed by the circle
  • Ran over by a vehicle
  • Ran yourself over with a vehicle
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would have pretty much all of those by now for sure. :lol: Kind of lame that they don't have one for long range sniping. 100m doesn't count.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Imo they should have one achievement per weapon for 100 kills, just for variety and tracking. Give you a reason to use something other than a kar98 and M4 every game.

They should also have an achievement for 100 kills every 100m, so 100 at 100m, 100 at 200m, 100 at 300m etc

100m would be considered medium range by most experienced players.

Rezzing a team mate 100 times.

All of these should be tracked so you can see your progress.

I'm sure there are many other good ideas out there. The game could really use some detailed stats tracking in general, achievements or not.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

‘Evil Kinevil’ Motorcycles flipped

‘All of yourVehicles are belong to Us’ Hit a tree 10 times at full speed in a vehicle.

‘I ain’t got time to bleed’ die while jumping out of a moving vehicle.

‘Land Shark’ kill 10 teammates at less than 10m

‘Talk to the Pan’ block 10 bullets with the frying pan

‘O Rly?’ Kill 10 players after they shoot you first

‘Yes, Rly’ die 10 times after taking the first shot

They write themselves.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Brian

Post by Brian »

Back when playing Left 4 Dead all the time I felt that there should have been an achievement for beating a zombie to death using a first aid kit and it should have been called "Feel The Heal"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not even supposed to be here! (Play a round outside your region)
If I only had a gun (Get killed before gaining a weapon)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Love'em.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Bullet Sponge-- Need to be rezzed one time for each member of your squad
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got the chicken dinner off the list pretty quick. :mrgreen: First kill was some guy running around like a herd of elephants in the woods. Walked up behind him and killed him in 1 second with my scar-l. Second kill I saw some guy hide in a shack. I tried to nade him through the window and missed. I suck at aiming through the windows. Since that didn't work I shot the door out and stood to the side. Took a smoke grenade and tossed it at the door to get him to come out and then killed him. :mrgreen:

Get in the final 2 circles and there was a crate sitting right in front of me. I figured it was empty, but someone started shooting at me and I took cover against it. It had a level 3 helmet and an AUG! :horse: Load that up and sneak around into the final circle. Guy laying prone hits me a couple of times and I run behind a tree. As I wasn't super hurt I quickly peeked out and took him out with the AUG.

2 others left now. The one guy kills the other guy and it's one vs one. I toss a smoke grenade to the left of me and a stunner to the right. I don't see the guy, but I have a general idea where he is. I run over to a tree using the smoke grenade as cover. He throws a smoke and I shoot into it hoping to bait him out. He comes charged at me like an idiot and I mow him down with the AUG.

The AUG IS A BEAST.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pretty good week for me so far. Already got the solo and duo achievements out of the way. 3 chicken dinners in total since the patch dropped. One was on the AS last night, but whatever I'll take it. I won that one by bouncing a nade off the road next to the guy sitting behind a rock. :twisted:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cool. We've had a couple of close games but no dinners yet. Multiple 2nds and 3rds.

My biggest hurdle in the final 10 right now is staying in the circle. I'm far too cautious and die to the circle in the final 10 about 50% of the time. Which is exactly what happened last night with Frey and I. Frey managed a 3rd place after I died needlessly to the circle (after a serious effort on our part to chase the circle and then defend ourselves from everyone who thought we were easy pickin's). If I had lived I could have supported him and very likely prevented his death or at least been there to pick him up again.

Hundreds of hours into the game, the circle is still my toughest opponent.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Try doing the opposite and go super aggressive for a while. Worst case is you get shot in the face. :lol: Until the last 2-3 circles lately I try and push into the circle as much as possible as early as possible. The makes it so that you are always near the next circle and not chasing. Might not be your cup of tea, but give it a shot for a few rounds.

Some of the most fun rounds I have are when I'm trying to speed ahead of wherever I think people will be going. It's a great way to hit top 10 and be in a good position. The game I won before hitting the sack last night there was like only 2-3 circles left. I grabbed a buggy and shot straight for the middle and found a good place to hide. I never had to push into the circle and defending the position was pretty easy. Only person I ended up killing was the last one. :lol:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, that's good advice, and if I focus on it, I can do it, but my instinct is to move late and get everyone else ahead of me so I don't get shot in the back.

I've done exactly what you've suggested in the past and it has definitely improved my game but I've started to fall back into old habits.

I just played a few matches with Headroom as I had some time at the computer and he was around. He was doing super aggressive matches (like, school, pecado type stuff) so we just did that for awhile. Was fun as always, but we didn't make it very far. Which is fine, the goal is to gain combat experience, not reach final 10. Doing both is always nice though. :wink:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:37 pm Yeah, that's good advice, and if I focus on it, I can do it, but my instinct is to move late and get everyone else ahead of me so I don't get shot in the back.

I've done exactly what you've suggested in the past and it has definitely improved my game but I've started to fall back into old habits.

I just played a few matches with Headroom as I had some time at the computer and he was around. He was doing super aggressive matches (like, school, pecado type stuff) so we just did that for awhile. Was fun as always, but we didn't make it very far. Which is fine, the goal is to gain combat experience, not reach final 10. Doing both is always nice though. :wink:
For the first circle I try and aim to be looted up in 3 minutes and moving to the middle while the clock is still going. I can loot REALLY quick solo that that's really not very hard to do. In teams it's a bit more difficult, but if you can accomplish it you are moving while people are still looting. A. You can gank people not paying attention B. Nobody is actively hunting.

For solo on both maps I have very specific places I drop where I know it very well. For example on the old map I love to drop the town above the Mansion. Lots of transportation nearby and for a solo you should be decently stocked to move to another area.

On the new map I love the bunkers that are left of water treatment. There's a series of 4-5 of them that you can loot super quick and you should be 100% stocked when you are done. Seriously the bunkers are money on the new map.

Where I still lack skill is positioning and awareness. I just suck at spotting people which is just partially my shitty eyes. Not much I can do about that. :D

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Spotting people seems to be the primary asset I bring to the game. I should duo with you and just run behind you naked as a jaybird!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:lol: You could wear clothes, but that might very well help. :lol: I could try a huge monitor, but I don't think the wife is going to be game for that.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Was lining up a 700m shot on a moving target who was in and out of LoS with an M4, 4x scope when a dude showed up at 15m and ruined the whole thing. I managed to hit my killer before I dropped, but I never did get to pull the trigger at the 700m dude.

I thought I was going to get a chance to put all the theory I learned into practice.

Nope.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Came home last night and fired up a match on the AS server and won. 2 matches on AS since the patch and 2 wins. :lol: Both won by grenade kills. :ninja: The rest of the night was a complete and total disaster. No matter what I did it went wrong. :P This game is like golf. Anytime you think you are good it just beats the piss out of you to remind you who is boss.