Re: Dominions 5!

Post by Freyland »

We still love you, LM.

(He's not on my team, right?)
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Reminds me of that game where my elephants ran to the enemy pretender, failed morale then trampled my own army. Good times.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Freyland wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 am We still love you, LM.

Let's just say I need to be in the newbie class. I am overwhelmed by choice and don't understand the intricacies of units so I don't know how to fight well, where as when we played Dom 4, everyone was rushing and kicking the computer players asses and I... wasn't...
RMC

Post by RMC »

Man, I have had some huge disappointments in Dom. It is one of those games, that you need to be slow at the start to really get a good army and foothold.

I get impatient and start running an army out there, and then BAM, no more army and I scramble to build one back up... <sigh>
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

RMC wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm Man, I have had some huge disappointments in Dom. It is one of those games, that you need to be slow at the start to really get a good army and foothold.

I get impatient and start running an army out there, and then BAM, no more army and I scramble to build one back up... <sigh>
We still love you, RMC.

Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hey!

I've always been kind if interested in Dominions, but I remember seeing reviews of earlier versions tat suggested the AI was weak. Is that still true?

Even if it is, I know lots of OOers and others have enjoyed multiplayer. (I'm attracted, but I have to be judicious with my gaming budget these days.)

So, in general: what does Dominions have that Civilization or even Warcraft Total War doesn't?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Holman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:44 pm Hey!

I've always been kind if interested in Dominions, but I remember seeing reviews of earlier versions tat suggested the AI was weak. Is that still true?

Even if it is, I know lots of OOers and others have enjoyed multiplayer. (I'm attracted, but I have to be judicious with my gaming budget these days.)

So, in general: what does Dominions have that Civilization or even Warcraft Total War doesn't?
Well, it beats Warcraft Total War by being a game that actually exists. ;)
(Pretty sure you meant Warhammer Total War)
Other than having a Fantasy theme, this game is almost nothing like Warhammer Total War.

The AI sucks. It's only real challenge is that it the higher the difficulty, the more gold/gems it gets. At max difficulty, I think it gets 8x gold/gems. But it does not have the ability to know how to spend these resources intelligently. It will recruit many crap troops (though there is a mod I am sure will get updated for Dom 5 to prevent the AI from recruiting independent troops or whatever the mod defines as poor quality troops (might be 2 different mods). It cannot begin to handle the complexity of pretender design and optimal spell usage/forging. Though they have supposedly improved this slightly since the last version.

But with sufficient gold, until you really master the game, sure quantity of crap troops will be a challenge. I have no where near achieved any degree of mastery, I play on about 3 above normal for a challenging AI that I am still confident I can usually beat, but still be somewhat challenged.

In comparison to Civ - there is virtually no empire building (you can build 3 buildings - fort, temple, lab - and you can upgrade the fort a little). A basic fort allows you to recruit your faction's non-capital only troops. A temple is needed for priests (any sacred/priest). Lab for mages (any sort of casting other than holy). Both if the unit is both priest and mage. They have some other game play impact, but that's all you can build. The rest of your money is mostly spent on troops.

Where the game is radically different in a better way - designing your pretender. If you think of something like Master of Magic - the design process here is infinitely more impactful and complex. The setup has a huge impact to how your empire will function. You can also get special bless abilities to enhance your sacred troops (every faction has a 1 or more troops that are sacred - they are the only ones who can be blessed and they are different for every faction - some might be ranged, some might be tough casters, some might suck and get slaughtered - but that might not be bad with the right bless (there is blood vengeance - attacker must save or takes the same damage they inflict; another your unit dies in explosive fireball). There are offensive blesses, defensive blesses, some minor utility blesses. Of you might totally ignore blesses in favor of other things like your dominion (how powerful is it to start, income, production, growth, luck, hot/cold, magic - or the reverse of all these are possible - not just because negative values will get you more points to spend, but some factions actually benefit from negative values!)

Combat is very different as well. You script your troops and commanders. Set up where they will be deployed in battle. You can change this any time during your turn. When you hit end turn, any combats happen between turns. You can view the battle to see what's happening and see a log. Or just read the summary of troops lost and who won. Your scripting of troops is very limited - they get one command (attack/hold/fire - and pick target - closest, rear, various troops types (archers, cavalry, large monsters, few others I think). Commanders get 1 general command but you can script 5 specific commands they will execute first (so you can keep them out for a little bit or more importantly - your casters can be scripted to cast specific spells).

There are a 100 zillion spells to research. You can cast rituals that will summon troops or attack things or alter things. You can forge gear that can alter almost anything about a unit. And just about any combat category of spell you can imagine and few you probably never would have thought of.

So, combat is mostly hands off, but that scripting is critical for success.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks! (yes, meant Warhammer)

I've always thought it was sort of the successor to Master of Magic. Since MoM was built on Civ, I've always wondered how far Dom veered from that inspiration.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I just don't see Civ or MoM as a major influence on Dominions. It's really quite different from those.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ColdSteel wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:44 am I just don't see Civ or MoM as a major influence on Dominions. It's really quite different from those.
Dom to me seems almost like and epic level scale port for a strategic level warhammer type wargame, where the Tactics are all drive by AI.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Is it weird that I kind of want to get the printed manual even though I don't actually own Dominions 5?
tgb

Post by tgb »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:08 pm Is it weird that I kind of want to get the printed manual even though I don't actually own Dominions 5?
Considering you can buy a game or two for the price, yes.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:08 pm Is it weird that I kind of want to get the printed manual even though I don't actually own Dominions 5?
You can download the PDFs and print your own. I did that.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just picked this up so I'll be up for the next game!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am in a Llamma server game, and the player for Eriu disappeared. Still early in the game, so if you want to jump into a game send me a PM, and I can get you set-up as that nation in the game. :)

It is competitive, but hey I am losing badly already, so you can at least beat me. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC - did you ever find a replacement for Eriu in your Llama game?