Dominions 5!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RMC

Re: Dominions 5!

Post by RMC »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:24 pm Does it send you an email when turns are processed? Sounds fine to me. I would be in on that! I got my copy today and got to look at it for like 5 minutes. So far, the quality of life improvements seem strong in the Pretender creation dialog.
There was a server that did that, and actually sent emails. Llamma server or something like that. Fan supported and run. But we have in the past gotten one of us IT like people to set-up a local server and host the games.

I did a stint where I used an old laptop to host the games, and that was less than optimal. But now, I have an old gaming rig set-up in my basement that should be able to run this as well. Some time this week, I will get it set-up and see how it goes. The only bad thing, is I don't have a static IP address, so it might change occasionally. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Llama server is correct. Don't remember why, but something about it made it less desirable to us.

You can play PBEM as well.

Buying the game momentarily, count me in if we get a MP thing going.

And thanks again to RMC for hosting!

PS: Just purchased and downloading now!

PPS: for those who played before, one of the biggest changes is blessings are radically different. Looking forward to checking those out.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Bought it. This seems more approachable than 3 or 4, somehow. Count me in to be an easy target in any MP games that get started.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

In. Paging LordMortis.....
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I would like to join if you all are willing. I played a decent amount of Dom3, bought Dom4 but never played it. Will have to power through the manual!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Everyone is welcome to play once I get it up and running. I will work on this today when I get home from work. :)

I guess we need to start talking about what settings we want to use, and those items.

Also, will Steam be okay with me running the server on one PC, and playing my game on a different one? Hmm... I am sure that there is a way to make that happen, just need to work on it.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It looks like you guys are getting the band back together. I will try to remember to spend too much money on this when I get home so I can remember how bad I sucked at the game so many years ago and relearn how to suck, um, play in a multiplayer game...

I liked the wego sever system we had for Dom 4, with the only problem being that I felt pressure to get in more than one turn a day because you guys were often putting in upwards of three turns a day. I will say right here and right now, on weekdays, I'm only ever likely to put in one turn a day. I won't have it in me to play before I go to work, after work, and then again before bed. If that's too slow for you, let me know now, so I wait until the price becomes mortis friendly. ;)
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
T

Post by T »

I'm probably going to pick this up and would be interested in MP games. Mortis, I don't recall us taking more than one turn a day, if that, when we used to play here at OO - Dom 3 that is. I did not play Dom 4, so maybe you guys did. One turn a day would be my limit too. The reason why I skipped Dom 4 was that the end game micro in 3 was too tedious and time consuming. I hear 4 alleviated that a bit, I hope 5 is better. In any event, how about a team game?
RMC

Post by RMC »

One turn a day is about all I can do, so I don't think any worries on that. :)

And I think we normally play Team games, as that seems to be the most fun had by everyone. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

When the game is new I think we would occasionally get a few turns a day in, but it swiftly gets to 1 every day or two or slower as turns get more complex.

Depending on how many folks we have, I'd like to start with a coop game to get our bearings, but team multiplayer is fine as well if we have too many for a coop game.

I played for a while last night, and really enjoying the changes. They really did a good job updating the UI with this version. Among other things, having your dominion show on the map as a border is way more useful than I would have suspected, having the provinces you can move to highlight is very handy, being able to queue up multiple commanders is great, the new research interface is a big improvement, and even better having commander points that allow you to sometimes produce 2 lower level commanders per turn is fantastic.

Also loving the changes to pretender design... making the base dominion more clear for different types of pretenders is good, as well as the customizable bless effect. I also liked that, since I went with a heavy fire magic pretender for my test Marignon game, some of my priests spells got updated to fire spells.

The pacing of the real time combat might take me a little to get used to, but visually it's very cool playing as Marignon to see barrages of fireballs fall in unison on charging enemies. For the most part I get the feeling the combat really didn't change much structurally, despite going to real time.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If there is no pressure for more than one turn a day, then I will buy tonight and count me but sucking when the server comes up, as I likely won't actually learn the game until we play. My video gaming time is already too thin spread between rediscovering Eador and DST with Bad Demo and chaosraven and Eador will probably have to take a backseat to taking my turn in Dom.
The pacing of the real time combat
Wait. What? How does that work in the MP game?

We only ever played CoOp games when I played. I think we tackled 2.5 of them before fading out and I never did much in any of them, as is likely to be the case in any new game we play.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 am
Battles are still pre-rendered and played like movies, but instead of being distinct turns where one side goes, and then the other, it seems to be divided up into smaller segments with units taking actions based on initiative.

It's a bit hard to describe, but here's DasTactic showing a battle:
https://youtu.be/zGZxIKWarF0?t=1161

Note how units just kind of take actions as their turns come up, and things can happen simultaneously instead of having a shooting phase, or a magic phase, etc.
tgb

Post by tgb »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:57 am
What the devs refer to as "real time combat" is not what you and I think of as real time combat. Combat is essentially the same as before - you script your units' actions and then watch them play out. The only difference is in the playback units move and fire spells at the same time.

Bad choice of words.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm interested in playing as well, as long as it really is one turn a day as I'll forget what I'm doing otherwise :( Coop much preferred or at least team games.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Everyone can play, and if there are some cut throat players here, I can always set-up multiple instances once I get the server fired up and running.

Trying to get out of work now to go home and get that all working. :)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

You guys are making it hard to resist buying Dom5 but I can't afford to get involved in anything until at least the end of the year / I get a job offer.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I am in for whatever style we want to play. I am an experienced player, but never MP and probably not great at it. What is the difference between Co-Op and MP with Teams?

One turn a day sounds fine to me.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:32 pm I am in for whatever style we want to play. I am an experienced player, but never MP and probably not great at it. What is the difference between Co-Op and MP with Teams?

One turn a day sounds fine to me.
In this context:
coop = all us humans on one team fighting against an AI team
teams = teams of humans fighting against each other with no AIs

Once RMC confirms he can get a server up and running, we can start a new thread with all the details for everyone.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Anyone want to see if my IT skillz are still the mad Hackzors?

IP address: 208.93.186.69
Port: 55555
Game is called: Test_Game

All nations are open for the middle ages, just see if you can connect and upload a pretender.

I have two routers in my house, and the server I am using is on the second router in the basement, so I am not sure if I have to forward the port on the second router or not. I can connect on my internal network, but I am typing in the internal IP not my external IP address. Anyway, if someone has time connect and upload a middle ages pretender.

Getting the server up and running was a lot easier than I remembered. :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Oh, and by the way, there are a ton of options now when setting up a server.

The thrones are still there, and teams, but now there is a Cataclysm setting?? and Story events have like three settings...

I'll get them all and we can figure out what we want. :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Cataclysm has a timer on it. As you advance in time, Horrors come and destroy the thrones. This lowers the amount of ascendancy points needed to win. If you nobody gets the required points, the horrors win.
RMC

Post by RMC »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 pm Cataclysm has a timer on it. As you advance in time, Horrors come and destroy the thrones. This lowers the amount of ascendancy points needed to win. If you nobody gets the required points, the horrors win.
That is actually very cool. I like that mechanic to keep a game going at a good clip. Would not use it here, but for some of the other games I have played in that would be cool.
T

Post by T »

Bought, count me in. As for settings, I say victory conditions so the game doesn't drag on too long.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Okay, been working with Lord Mortis, and it looks like there is something up with my IP address from my ISP.

We tried to ping my IP address, and did a tracert, with no luck to get to my IP address from his home.

Anyone have any ideas that the two of us might have missed?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:43 pm Anyone want to see if my IT skillz are still the mad Hackzors?

IP address: 208.93.186.69
Port: 55555
Game is called: Test_Game

All nations are open for the middle ages, just see if you can connect and upload a pretender.

I have two routers in my house, and the server I am using is on the second router in the basement, so I am not sure if I have to forward the port on the second router or not. I can connect on my internal network, but I am typing in the internal IP not my external IP address. Anyway, if someone has time connect and upload a middle ages pretender.

Getting the server up and running was a lot easier than I remembered. :)
2 attempts, 2 fails. Back to hackzors school with you. :)

Edit -sorry, didn't refresh b4 posting.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Also does anyone else want to try and connect in case the problem in on my end. I suspect it's all in the natting. In Dom 4 they suggestion when natting is to use "Evolve or Himachi" to get around this, where we set up a sort of VPN. I haven't done the research

https://steamcommunity.com/app/259060/d ... 071279310/

Himachi

https://www.vpn.net/

Evolve

https://www.evolvehq.com/download

Edit
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:18 pm
Edit -sorry, didn't refresh b4 posting.

Me either apparently, ;)
T

Post by T »

Did you go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ to see what your external IP is? You are right, I think it has something to do with port forwarding.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Is the game pretty accessible to newbies to the series?

I tried Dom 4 a couple of times but I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. Now that my kids are older I'm finding my concentration span is back to longer than 3 minutes again, and maybe I can handle this.

EDIT: Skip that. I just bought it. :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Okay. It looks like I set-up port forwarding, but never turned it on in the router. :oops:

Not sure if that is the issue or not, but can someone try this morning to connect?

This is still the IP according to whatismyip : 208.93.186.69
Still port 55555
:)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:51 am Okay. It looks like I set-up port forwarding, but never turned it on in the router. :oops:

Not sure if that is the issue or not, but can someone try this morning to connect?

This is still the IP according to whatismyip : 208.93.186.69
Still port 55555
:)
Tried again this morning and failed.

Oddly, I had one of my local files fail this morning. Played last night, got up this morning, game wouldn't start. Did the verify local files and it said one failed and redownloaded it (supposedly downloaded 0 bytes). Also, game was patched yesterday to ver 5.03.

Just throwing those out there in case you may need to patch/restart/check the game running on your server?
RMC

Post by RMC »

I will need to patch it, if it updated after 3pm or so. Since I am running the server directly from a command line, not through steam.

Hmm... IT might be my ISP then. Because even if it was a bad version you should have still been able to connect.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Himachi

https://www.vpn.net/

So this doesn't seem like a bad option. It's $ 50/year for up to 36 computers if we have to go this direction.

Not sure how putting my computer on a VPN that is also my Plex server will work, but I can work around that as well... Maybe a second NIC would do the trick. Wow, that is a lot of work as well.... :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Who set up our server last time? They had a real IP... I could also check to see if maybe my cable modem has more than one IP to assign and put a switch between my router and modem and connect my main PC directly to the internet. I will get test when I get home and report.

... Edit.... Nevermind, it is what I thought. It was you who hosted all of the games before. You are our expert.

Still I will see if I can bypass my router when I get home tonight. I hate putting my machine into a DMZ but it doesn't really have much on it that I have to worry about.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, I changed ISP's. So they might be changing how my IP address is assigned. I am going to ask one of our network engineer and call my ISP and ask them about having a static IP for my set-up. :)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

There are free vpn's out there. I have one at home I installed to try fixing my PUBG problem... didn't succeed, but installation and use was painless. Will post the name later today when I am home.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Evolve basic appears to free with advertising.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I'll look into Evolve. It seemed like a simple enough program. :)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

RMC wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:15 pm I'll look into Evolve. It seemed like a simple enough program. :)
It was simple when it first started, but changed over time.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Okay, Installed Evolve, and it does not have Dominions 5 in the create game drop down. It has 3 and 4, but no 5. I will check Hamachi and see if it has anything. But I guess we could try Evolve and see if it will work with 5....
RMC

Post by RMC »

Okay Hamachi looks easy enough.

I installed it on my PC and set-up a network

The network is called OO-Dom5
Password:OOpassword

See if you can connect to it, and then get to the Dom 5 game I have going. If this works, I'll pay the moola for a bigger amount of users other than 6, and we can get this party started. :)