Dominions 5!

Post by Sepiche »

http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/
New Features

Real time combat
Per unit combat logs
Design your pretender's bless effect
Priest's banishment and smite spells will depend on what type of god he follows
History playback when game is over, see how dominion spread and provinces changed owners
New random maps with bridges and better looking terrains
New resource system with recruitment points that encourages recruiting in highly populated areas
Fortifications built by starting at the basic type, then upgrading it later
New research queue, researching is now one school at a time
New movement system
Winter shown on map and affects movement
Dominion overlay on map to clearly show its boundaries
New retreat system, good leaders can prevent units from dispersing in all directions
Updated user interface with information more clearly presented than before
New 3d-engine with better looking terrain, huge performance increase for good graphics cards
More reliable network, now works on less than perfect connections too
New nations
Some old nations have been reworked and updated
More spells, magic items, special abilities, events, monsters, titles, thrones, ....
Zenn7

Re: Dominions 5!

Post by Zenn7 »

At last! A new game I'm really excited about! :)

Thanks Sepiche, had no idea this was even being thought of.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I was just thinking... I wonder when he will come out with Dominions 5!

Excellent news!

Best news - this could be done in early November!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Real time combat? Pass.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote:Real time combat? Pass.
Actually, this is a misnomer. The combat is the same - you set up your units and then you watch the combat play out without any input (exactly like 4). What he means by this is that the units will now all take their turns at the same time. Instead of the strangely stilted way they did it before, where one unit moved, another unit moved, and so on, now they will all move at the same time. He explains it better:
Real Time Combat
Combat in Dominions 5 differs quite a bit from how it was in the previous Dominions games. Now all units do their actions simultaneously, so units will move at the same time as enemy arrows and spells are flying. With the simultaneous move it is no longer important who reaches whom first, the units reach each other simultaneously and it is random which one gets to strike first.

Large battles are now much quicker to watch as they do not take much longer to watch than the smaller ones, but the slow motion replay speed can be useful to take in all that is happening. For those that want all the details there are also detailed battle logs that can be viewed for each unit, so you can see where all the damage came from.

There is also a large number of new mechanics and unit traits that can affect a battle. E.g. shields can be damaged or broken if struck by a very hard blow, so using shields against giants with large axes may not be adviseable.

Combat spells take time to prepare and cast in Dominions 5, and more complicated spells have greater casting times. A battle enchantment that requires gems may take twice as long to cast as a fireball spell. Spells that are being prepared may be interrupted if the mage takes damage before they finish casting.

The battles are still fully automatic and player input comes from army setup and initial orders as usual.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

tgb wrote:Real time combat? Pass.
Have you played any of the previous Dominions games? Real Time Combat for this does not mean real time combat like any other game (this is not like Total War or Space Empires 5 or the new Master of Orion as some examples).

You don't control the combat. Your control is setting up some limited scripted commands your units/commanders will follow during combat.

The difference between the earlier combat and this real time is that instead of unit A moving/attacking/whatever it's doing, then B, then C, etc, they will all be moving at the same time. Random who will hit who first rather whoever is moving and gets there first gets the first strike. (That's from the link in the OP).

It will alter how the combat plays out some, maybe take away, or at least require adjustment to some of the cheese options for beating the AI in fights, but other than tweaking scripting a little, it will not impact game play. No difference to users in the actual gameplay.

I was kinda hoping to see some AI enhancements on the list (even minor improvements), but no sign of those. Wasn't expecting to get a challenging AI, but even a slightly better one would make the game more fun. For those not familiar with the game, AI's issue is not lack of aggression, it just doesn't know how to utilize resources intelligently and script combat appropriately. It has no problem sending hordes of lesser troops after you (it can still be a little challenge, or even quite a bit of a challenge w/ all the cheat bonus resources at higher levels). Just not challenging in the way the game is meant to be played (certainly not like playing MP).
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, I saw this the other day, and I am stoked. It is an awesome game played multiplayer. The single player is only okay though...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Due in November, FWIW
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'll wait for Zarathud's review and try to pick out the honest from the fanboi. :oops:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote:I'll wait for Zarathud's review and try to pick out the honest from the fanboi. :oops:
Hey! I'm a fanboi too... oh... wait... you wanted honesty as well?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z was the one who got me to play Dom 4 and join some of the OO games, which I sucked horribly at but looked forward to taking my turn every day anyway. I might even load it again, if my key weren't long since lost from before it was released on Steam.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote:Z was the one who got me to play Dom 4 and join some of the OO games, which I sucked horribly at but looked forward to taking my turn every day anyway. I might even load it again, if my key weren't long since lost from before it was released on Steam.
Where'd you buy it from? Reach out to that source or go straight to Illwinter, maybe they can help?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Dominions is an awesome game, even with the brutal learning curve. I never felt like I knew enough, and learned something new each game. Good times.

Looking forward to it -- and dragging Mortis along for the ride. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

This is a day one buy for me. Who knows when I will Play it - I'm afraid my kids will be too busy to play with me like old times (Dom3).
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Rabbit hole alert:

Illwinter's Floorplan Generator. $5 Steam Early Access.

I Don't need it, but some of you might.
Last edited by Yojimbo on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Page up on Steam with a release date - 11/27.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Can I point out how bad of a release date Nov 27th is for me?

Or maybe, rather, how almost a great release date it would be if it here a week earlier?
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was just thinking what a bad date that is, right in the middle of the Thanksgiving sales.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Tomorrow my customers will start to vanish about noon. By Tuesday everyone important will be on vacation.

I have 3lbs of pecans to roast (olive oil and salt) and a few loaves of bread (einkorn) to bake for the holiday (perfect activities for turn-based gaming). After that I am footloose until Thursday.

Since I don't shop on black Friday I may have gaming time Friday/Sat/Sun.

By the 27th I will be trying to catch up on work I could not do this week because all the decision makers have been out. Oh well, I can get some time between Christmas and New Years, I guess.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

From their posts on the subject, apparently, Steam requires a video to put a game page up and a game page has to be up at least 2 weeks prior to release.

They had to scramble to put a video together for the page and are stuck waiting 2 weeks.

On the plus side, I'm sure they really love selling more copies of the game, they will sell enough to satisfy their financial needs from all the fans. Doubt they were going to put it markdown for a great sale price for Thanksgiving so it's not like they're missing on the great sale window that way.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 am
On the plus side, I'm sure they really love selling more copies of the game, they will sell enough to satisfy their financial needs from all the fans. Doubt they were going to put it markdown for a great sale price for Thanksgiving so it's not like they're missing on the great sale window that way.
No, but other than fans who will grab it day one no matter what, people will be spending their $ elsewhere, and then waiting for the Xmas sale. By the time the holidays are over, the initial hype will have been forgotten. They would have been better off waiting until January.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 am They had to scramble to put a video together for the page and are stuck waiting 2 weeks.
That would be a shame if that is what they are waiting on. When your little rules get in way of logic you need to evaluate your little rules.

Illwinter may be a foreign company but they have been making games (games just like this) for years and years. I cannot imagine that a 2-week provenance on a video enhancing the experience for any day-one purchaser of the game. Epic fail if the video is the delay. This cries out for a RAC process to identify the ethnocentric Valve Manager who failed to champion an exception to some 2-week rule.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Why should they be an exception?

I'm guessing Valve sends out a whole list of requirements when a developer or publisher first contacts them about carrying a game, including this one. If I were a betting man, I'd say tptb at Illwinter either never read the requirements or didn't take them seriously.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

tgb wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 pm Why should they be an exception?

I'm guessing Valve sends out a whole list of requirements when a developer or publisher first contacts them about carrying a game, including this one. If I were a betting man, I'd say tptb at Illwinter either never read the requirements or didn't take them seriously.
+1

Isn't ethnocentric just fancy-talk for saying "one step below full-blown racist"? Seriously? Yojimbo, your post is so full of self-entitlement that your even your roasted pecans think you're nuts.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

You all are right, I am sure.

I just dislike the idea of some process designed for an unknown game shop that started up last week in someone's basement (such as an arbitrary-seeming 2 week delay AFTER posting a video) keeping my new game apart from my gaming free time.

Further:

Your imagined scenario of Illwinter just not paying attention to the rules may be more plausible than my imagined scenario of the rules not being well communicated to a Finnish developer.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm You all are right, I am sure.

I just dislike the idea of some process designed for an unknown game shop that started up last week in someone's basement (such as an arbitrary-seeming 2 week delay AFTER posting a video) keeping my new game apart from my gaming free time.

Further:

Your imagined scenario of Illwinter just not paying attention to the rules may be more plausible than my imagined scenario of the rules not being well communicated to a Finnish developer.
Respect.
I feel your frustration of game availability and gaming availability not coordinating well.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Of course, Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Finland. So they may have underestimate just how big of a deal it is in America (or forgotten about it completely). Can we expect Europeans to think about major American holidays? I mean, do you all know the day of Juhannusaatto? :mrgreen:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Steam has a sale for that, too.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm Of course, Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Finland. So they may have underestimate just how big of a deal it is in America (or forgotten about it completely). Can we expect Europeans to think about major American holidays? I mean, do you all know the day of Juhannusaatto? :mrgreen:
They may not celebrate Turkey Day outside of the US and A, but anyone in the industry (and by the "industry" I mean the business) knows that Steam has a sale the end of November every year.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I suspect that
A - this is a changed policy from the last time they released a game so it caught them by surprise (maybe? didn't they just release the floorplan generator so that would have needed the same thing?)
2 - don't think they are overly concerned about maximizing sales/revenue/profit. This is a side job that is more about their love of what they are doing (not making video games in general, but the lore and stuff they are doing in the game). They make enough to cover their costs and make it worthwhile to continue. Just a feeling I got from reading from/about them over the years.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

I believe they are in Sweden :). But close!

Yeah, knowing KO and JK, they most likely didn't pay too close attention to any launch rules with Steam. I can't wait for the game myself. I have been a loyal supporter since Dom 2 and have thoroughly enjoyed each iteration both in SP and MP although it wasn't until Dom 3 that I started trying MP.

And what Zenn just said :).
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Kelan wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:27 am I believe they are in Sweden :). But close!
Doh! Now we all know who is really ethnocentric - Me! My apologies to Illwinter for relocating them.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Went for sale today on sale for 10% off I think.

I purchased it. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
tgb

Post by tgb »

This may be the first Dom game I buy and then actually learn to play (I bought 4 on sale as a sign of support). I should really hold out until the end of the week when I get paid, but...............
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just picked it up. Will have to wait until I get home to try it, but can't wait to see the changes.

I suppose this means we'll need to start up the OO Dom League again... :D
tgb

Post by tgb »

Keeping in mind that I would be a total Noob, I'd be interested in getting in.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I actually now have a Plex server running in my basement, that I can install Dom on, and host it again if needed.

Let me get Steam installed on the computer in my basement and see what else I need to do..
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Is it PBEM? Because I might be in for that!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Unless it's changed drastically since Dom4 it's a pitboss system (i.e. everyone connects to a central server whenever they have time, and when all the players have put in their turns it processes).
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Does it send you an email when turns are processed? Sounds fine to me. I would be in on that! I got my copy today and got to look at it for like 5 minutes. So far, the quality of life improvements seem strong in the Pretender creation dialog.