I hate free overpowered extras in games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

I hate free overpowered extras in games

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone else hate extras you dont earn?

Like I reinstalled just tonight the game Armored Warfare. I was in the mood for some tanks. When I got in game I see in my hanger about 12 or more tanks Ive not earned. they were simply provided to me. I quit and deleted. Ya I could avoid those extra tanks but other people would be using them. Thats not fair or fun. I dont want a bunch of stuff handed to me. I want to earn a better item as I play and move forward.

Im reinstalled Tomb Raider and noticed I have a bunch of armor I musta gotten by buying the game fro ma certain place or somehow. One I could understand but having like 8 to choose from does not make me happy. Id rather find new ones as I go to craft.

Anyone else with me on this or do you guys like being handed the easy button?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Re: I hate free overpowered extras in games

Post by GreenGoo »

I definitely prefer some sort of progression system.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree on this one. I don't mind skins or something as a bonus, but when they give you late-game powered content at the beginning, it just takes away from the early game experience.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

For single player games, I'll usually just ignore the stuff that is too overpowered.

But with multi-player, I agree. You feel that you don't have a choice.

I will say that I mind a lot less when I'm replaying. Borderlands 2, for instance. When I originally played, I didn't have the bonus pack with all the weapons. On more recent characters, I went ahead and used the weapons. The beginning of the game isn't that interesting anyway. But being limited to just a pistol definitely made the game a lot harder.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, but you replace those weapons pretty early anyway.

The SMG in particular was not great.

The sniper rifle was very strong, but it's​ usefulness​ was limited by the nature of the combat in that game.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

First time through the game, I'll ignore that stuff. Second run (character, class, whatever) I take them. Like the Goo says, usually it's just garbage that you'll end up dumping ASAP for better stuff.
There is no hug button. Sad!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Being olde and senile I use such things to help me learn the game. Otherwise I might be on the beany level the rest of my life. When/if I learn the game I drop the "cheats".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Borderlands did it right. Most of the freebies you get you'll replace within the first hour or two. In other games I've gotten stuff right off the bat that made loot irrelevant for the first third of the game, which is awful.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In Saints Row 3, you get to start with a tank. It definitely makes some of the early stuff easy if you want to use it.

Additionally, some of the unique vehicles/weapons, while a lot of fun, seriously disrupt the power.

As for BL2, while I would agree that the weapons get replaced within the first hour, I would argue that they do dramatically reduce the difficulty initially. Mostly because they allow you to utilize different ammo pools. The base game starts with just pistols (according to my recollection). Additionally, it's a little while before the other weapons start dropping (especially the first sniper rifle). My recollection is that it was very easy to run low or out of ammo. Having backup weapons reduce that risk.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.