Overhaul this weekend - Outage - Your chance to test now

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

JetFred

Re: Overhaul this weekend - Outage - Your chance to test now

Post by JetFred »

I haven't read all this but thanks for your work.
I have but one advocate.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Is there an Allanstyle Subsilver or whatever with the avatars on the left?

It really does feel like work to keep turning towards the right side of the screen.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was a subsilver user 4 life but have since switched to the SE Square Left profile after testing all the new ones available. It's not perfect by any means, but closer to subsilver layout than Ethan Allen Silver (or whatever it is). I also kind of liked the Digi Green one too.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Mmmmm Latte. Where have you been all my life!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 pm Is there an Allanstyle Subsilver or whatever with the avatars on the left?

It really does feel like work to keep turning towards the right side of the screen.
+1 vote for Allanstyle to the Left if possible.
I kind of like the Digi blues though too but they are very different from what I'm used to.
Otherwise no problems so far, thanks!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind adding the ne-blackgreen style (demo here)? It's another alternative for Black Pearl enthusiasts, which also retains the more familiar boxed (fixed width) layout based upon the prosilver style (though user info is on the right).

Anyway, thanks again for all your efforts FP, they're very much appreciated.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At least URLs work without the tag now because theres no button for it and typing it in Id never remember that :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:12 pm Thanks for the hard work and time. Appreciate it very much.

No bearing on your work. I know you're doing all this for us...its just life in general for me..the older I get the more I dislike change. In all of life Im that way. used to be I looked for the future. Dont like myself much these days lol.
Yeah I know, that's why we were on the same hardware for probably 2 years past when we should have been. I hate change too, but at least with the right config it seems to move along reasonably well.

I'll keep an eye out, and maybe test myBB more on this server (in another area of course). It seemed to be more geared to the way phpBB used to be -- the problem was it didn't convert permissions right, and that's a huge PITA for me.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 pm If it's not too much trouble, would you mind adding the ne-blackgreen style (demo here)? It's another alternative for Black Pearl enthusiasts, which also retains the more familiar boxed (fixed width) layout based upon the prosilver style (though user info is on the right).

No trouble it's there now.. It's horrible, but it's there. My eyes! MY EYES!
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:14 pm I can only access the forum by tapatalk now desire clearing my cache etc on my computer it keeps saying forbidden.
My bad, I didn't put the forward back in the Apache httpd.conf file (to forward from root to /forum/). Anyways I did it with index.html because it's close to 1am. I'll do it in the httpd configuration another day when I'm more rested.
No.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

SE Square left is an acceptable avatar-on-the-left alternative to prosilver. It's not perfect, but it's not terribad.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

This just looks too weird!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Late to the party and slowly exploring.
Digi Dark Blue seems pretty easy on the eyes, puts the avatar on the left and I can tell what posts I have and haven't read. At the moment I like it best.
The Latte ones are nice but, for some reason, seem to bright to me.

I need to click on more stuff on the screen. Just discovered the "jump" (to another section) button. I like that.
I also like the profile icon (that takes you to your preferences etc.) having my name (I think Latte has that? Digi doesn't, it just has the little head/shoulders icon).

I'm really only posting something to see how that looks and what options there are. Nice to have more buttons for the BBCode, even if I don't yet know what they do.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

FishPants wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 pm If it's not too much trouble, would you mind adding the ne-blackgreen style (demo here)? It's another alternative for Black Pearl enthusiasts, which also retains the more familiar boxed (fixed width) layout based upon the prosilver style (though user info is on the right).

I actually like the layout of this style if there is one with a color less glaring than neon green...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 am

I actually like the layout of this style if there is one with a color less glaring than neon green...
Acidtech may be acceptable
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 am
Lassr wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 am

Acidtech may be acceptable
I like that color scheme better than the "Black" that I'm using now.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Some of these styles have interesting colour schemes. For instance most of them have the links red, even when thematically it doesn't make sense. I'm using the Latte theme right now, and links should probably be either black or brown, but they're red.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Indeed, it seems that each of the newer styles will require some getting used-to in one form or another (colour weirdness, alignment of user info, variable vs. fixed width layouts, and so on). But thanks for making the effort to provide plenty of styles we can choose from.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I've settled on the Black theme - so far I like it but I have two small criticisms:
    • Although I can turn off avatars it leaves a big square with a ? next to each post - the old theme would remove avatars without leaving a placeholder
    • I don't see an easy way to get back to the list of new posts when getting to the bottom of a thread. I have to hit CTRL-Home,
      then select "new posts" from the drop-down menu

Neither is a deal killer but both are teeny quality of life deficits from the previous black theme.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Is there a button somewhere for "view all unread posts since last visit"? If not, I'd love to have that back. That's always been my go-to way to browse everything new across all our subforums.
Anonymous Bosch

wonderpug wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:01 pm Is there a button somewhere for "view all unread posts since last visit"? If not, I'd love to have that back. That's always been my go-to way to browse everything new across all our subforums.
Yes, you should be able to find it beneath the "Quick links" menu which, depending upon the particular style you're using, may be labelled as such or could just be a basic menu icon showing three horizontal lines (typically located somewhere towards the top-left). It'll be listed as "Unread posts", or words to that effect.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I keep trying to click under thread titles for the latest page..its off to the right :P Takes time to adjust.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Any chance we could get ProBlack here? http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/proBlack
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If you're looking for a theme with the old style direct links "UNREAD POSTS, NEW POSTS, YOUR POSTS", I will save you the time and let you know that only the Alan substyle has that now. It is a very light color, if that matters to you (I will take that con for the pro of having those direct links, personally). Also no logo, but that is not a big deal to me.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Not the only one, the "SE Square Left" style I'm using has (what I assume are) the same quick links just under the logo.
-mf
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:00 am Not the only one, the "SE Square Left" style I'm using has (what I assume are) the same quick links just under the logo.
I'm referring to the direct links on the main page, like before, as opposed to having to click on a quick menu icon first (all of them have that quick menu icon BTW).
Thusly:
Bad Demographic

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:25 pm I keep trying to click under thread titles for the latest page..its off to the right :P Takes time to adjust.
Same here. And when the pages list is on the far right, I actually have to put the cursor by the thread title then slide it (the cursor) over to the right. Time to give other board layouts another look.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Bad Demographic wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:25 pm I keep trying to click under thread titles for the latest page..its off to the right :P Takes time to adjust.
Same here. And when the pages list is on the far right, I actually have to put the cursor by the thread title then slide it (the cursor) over to the right. Time to give other board layouts another look.
Instead of page numbers, why not click on the 'go to the latest unread post in the thread' button?
Bad Demographic

Ohhh - thanks!

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

You don't have to target the little red icon, either. If you want, just hit the big icon to the left of it. Both take you to the unread posts.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

stessier wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:13 pm You don't have to target the little red icon, either. If you want, just hit the big icon to the left of it. Both take you to the unread posts.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

stessier wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:13 pm You don't have to target the little red icon, either. If you want, just hit the big icon to the left of it. Both take you to the unread posts.
The big icon doesn’t appear to work in the “Black” style.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Biyobi wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 pm
The big icon doesn’t appear to work in the “Black” style.
#BlackStylesMatter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Where's the octopus is the upper left corner?
A naked Fergie will do if you can't find an octopus.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

A minor thing, the browser tab doesn't show an icon (favicon?). It probably wouldn't have been something I noticed, but I keep OO pinned and now it blends in with some other pinned sites that use the default icon image.
(HBZ)
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Hamsterball_Z wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:37 pm A minor thing, the browser tab doesn't show an icon (favicon?). It probably wouldn't have been something I noticed, but I keep OO pinned and now it blends in with some other pinned sites that use the default icon image.
What theme please, I've added the favicon back but I need to know specifics of what theme so that I can trouble shoot it.
No.
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Hexagon. The favicon is back so you got it.
(HBZ)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hamsterball_Z wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:29 pm Hexagon. The favicon is back so you got it.
Also there in Black. Previously it displayed "(1)" in that space, so I'm glad that's gone. ONE WHAT????
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:46 pm
Also there in Black. Previously it displayed "(1)" in that space, so I'm glad that's gone. ONE WHAT????
That means you have one notification. Either you got a PM, or somebody quoted you. There should be a little icon up in the corner somewhere that has your notifications and links.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:46 pm
That means you have one notification. Either you got a PM, or somebody quoted you. There should be a little icon up in the corner somewhere that has your notifications and links.
I see how that works now, thanks. The damnable (1) mysteriously came back, then disappeared after I opened this thread (where you had quoted me).