[Impressions?] Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jolor

[Impressions?] Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation

Post by Jolor »

Hoping we can turn the '?' into a "!" (and not "starting on page 3").

I've been caught completely off guard by this game but see it's getting passing reviews on Steam and is based on a (well known) board game.

Is anyone playing the Steam version and do they have comments to share?

Link
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Holman

Re: [Impressions?] Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation

Post by Holman »

I had no idea this existed. I'm surprised it hasn't been more hyped, especially since it involves Wizards of the Coast's top property.

(On paper, Tomb of Annihilation is the latest official book-length campaign release for 5th edition D&D, a reboot/expansion of the legendary 1st edition Tomb of Horrors.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

But this is a port of the Tomb of Annihilation board game...not the RPG module
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't played the board game, but it looks like the next iteration in the D&D Adventures board game series. I have the first four of them (this would be the fifth), and have enjoyed them quite a bit.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I just downloaded it and will try to play. The movement is very finicky and I don't see an undo move.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm I haven't played the board game, but it looks like the next iteration in the D&D Adventures board game series. I have the first four of them (this would be the fifth), and have enjoyed them quite a bit.
It's my understanding that is what it is.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... nihilation
tgb

Post by tgb »

I have it. It's OK, but a little too combat-centric for my taste. I also don't care for the way crafting is handled - crafting costs a bunch of materials and a LOT of gold, and even at that there's a chance (30-40% unless you want to invest more gold) that the crafting will fail, in which case you lose everything.

Also there's no way to save mid-map. Early on that's not a problem, but as maps grow it will be.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

IceBear wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 pm But this is a port of the Tomb of Annihilation board game...not the RPG module
Sure, but I would have assumed more promotion. I suspect WotC's paper D&D products are the flagship compared to the D&D boardgames.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

They had an article about it in their online Dragon Magazine last month and articles on their DnD website.

If it was a CRPG I'm sure there would have been more promotion. I just wanted to make sure no one thought this was a CRPG based on the fabulous Tomb of Annihilation.