Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Killin' Nazi business!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

UsulofDoom

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Killin' Nazi business!

Post by UsulofDoom »

Coming out tomorrow. My Amazon order shipped. Reviews are looking good.
$60 on steam. I pre ordered from amazon for $48.
"Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus has become the new benchmark for single-player shooter campaigns. The sheer amount of freedom that players have to go along with the excellent gunplay make it one of the best shooters in years on those merits alone. Add in what is one the year’s most compelling, important narratives and you have a recipe for an instant classic on your hands. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus isn’t just 2017’s best shooter, it’s a game that will be looked back upon as one of the standout titles of this generation when it comes to an end."

"Developer Machine Games also brought the most amazing characters, quality storytelling, and well-paced gameplay to The New Colossus. You’ll want to spend time with these people and learn their fate — sometimes that will warm your heart, and sometimes it will break it."

If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
AWS260

Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Killin' Nazi business!

Post by AWS260 »

RPS.
The whole game is spinning a lot of plates, though perhaps it’s more like juggling chainsaws. From the opening scenes, it’s brutal in both its language and its depiction of violence. Domestic abuse, virulent racism, innocents harmed and murdered. That it then spins off into grindhouse grit and slapstick comedy, before pinballing into melancholy, dread, romance and sentimentality is absurd. I found it to be brilliantly absurd, and laughed, cringed and cried (yes, I cried while playing a Wolfenstein game; 2017 is weird), but be prepared for some real horrors alongside all of the imagined ones.
Their overall take is good action, somewhat restrictive level design, great characters and world-building.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I was not sure I could play today. The specs seemed to change. The minimum is intel i7-3770 with a amd Radeon R9 290 4G.My system is i7-930 2.8 with a Radeon HD7870 2G.
Seems to be running fine don't see any lag, but don't know how it will change once I get further in the game. I'm on second mission and it's still going. No crashes. May up date PC black Friday.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I am really enjoying Wolfenstein 2. Just like the previous game, the story is simultaneously earnest and over-the-top. And just like the previous game, the developers walk that tightrope very well.

I would love to share some of my favorite story beats -- like the time [redacted] sees [redacted], or when [redacted] gets [redacted] -- but I don't want to spoil anything. If you're considering playing this in the future, I strongly encourage you to avoid spoilers. Some things are worth seeing with fresh eyes.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :violence-enforcer:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
An announcement on Steam reveals that a free playable trial version of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is now available on Steam

the game is presently ($29.99 USD), .. the Digital Deluxe Edition is on sale for ($39.99) ... Both are 50% off
Ain't nobody got time for that
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Demo. It’s called a demo. And it used to be a thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 pm Demo. It’s called a demo. And it used to be a thing.
Apparently it still is. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I was on Amazon looking for random stuff as usual, and I ran across this game's collector's edition for ~$30. Since I did not own the game already I decided to pick it up. Holy crap, it's HUGE! I didn't realize how enormous Terror-Billy would be in real life. I took a pic to show the enormity of the scale of this thing. (Yes, that is a Fallout 3 lunchbox.) (Yes, I know I need to vacuum.)

The CD case is metal and pretty cool. The disk is a DVD, but the game is supposed to be 50GB so I don't know how long that's going to take to DL, or whether it's going to unpack a lot of assets or what.

Enlarge Image

Update: Out of 7GB of stuff on the DVD, it copied 4.8 to my HD and it's downloading the rest. So that kind of sucks. And I'm really curious what the other 2.2GB of garbage is on there. The game data is in the Steam game backup format, along with some installer programs.
There is no hug button. Sad!