World of Warcraft : Classic

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: World of Warcraft : Classic

Post by Daehawk »

Most people 'think' they liked original more but when they go back they'll find they hate it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:31 am I played on a classic private server (seemed like it was the biggest and most successful with well over 10,000 players). Blizzard had them shut down but they actually went and met with Blizzard to discuss setting up classic servers.

It was fun for a while, but I too love feral druids and they suck rocks in vanilla. Doesn't mean I didn't do it anyway. :)

Burning Crusade ROCKED! Everyone I played with was REALLY looking forward to that! (The private server was working their way through each patch w/ eventual plans to move through TBC and WotLK at least and all their patches).
Burning Crusade was probably my favorite. It certainly has my best grouping/guild memories. The tanking and threat mechanics required skill. Everything wasn't "tank and spank". I remember long discussions around Karazan and how to approach certain fights. The Dining Room especially; we had priests and hunters chain trapping in order to control the fight. Pretty sure that BC was also the last time that I ever saw a Hunter Feign Death. :x

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had a lot of fun with each expansion. BC and Wrath were absolutely my favorites, but I don't have rose-colored glasses, either. I don't want the vanilla quest system again. Quests scattered all over, with no story, and all of them are some variant of 'kill 60 X', 'collect 15 Y livers' (where only one in four Ys has a liver, making it a 'kill 60'), or 'kill boss Z that is at the back of the cave' (which has 60 X in it.) I don't want standing in Orgrimmar shouting for three hours to get a group to finish a quest or shouting for three days to get a group to finish a class quest in an unpopular dungeon. I don't want the absurd gold grind. Yes, it made mounts special. It made them special by giving you months of tedious un-fun grinding. I don't want the butt-ugly armor in Easter-egg colors. I don't want the complete lack of storage space, made worse by the lack of toy/mount/etc panels, ammunition for hunters, shards for warlocks, and so forth. Some of the worst of the reputation grinds.

What I do miss is: the need for strategy in content, whether dungeon content or just approaching solo quest mobs. Wandering elites. Professions having some value beyond their end-game buff item. Travel being meaningful (remember when there were only two faction auction houses in the entire world? I had some of the best times trying to get a level 10 Night Elf to Ironforge to be able to buy...) A certain sense of accomplishment when achieving a goal, finishing a quest, gaining a level. I really, really miss needing to actually try and use my brain while playing, and the sense that I'm actually in danger and will die if I'm not paying attention. Not outleveling world content halfway through it.

What I want is to have current content, with story-based quest lines and modern conveniences, but without the mindlessness and rush of the newer expansions.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 am What I want is to have current content, with story-based quest lines and modern conveniences, but without the mindlessness and rush of the newer expansions.
You don't have to have a mindless rush in the new expansions. There's plenty of great content if you slow down and unless you're in a competitive raiding guild, the party find system means you don't have to keep up with the Joneses.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:31 am Burning Crusade ROCKED! Everyone I played with was REALLY looking forward to that! (The private server was working their way through each patch w/ eventual plans to move through TBC and WotLK at least and all their patches).
Yeah, I hope Blizzard will do something similar to that. I loved the 2 expansions up to the Cataclysm. If they'd progress up to WotLK and stop I'd be thrilled.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:36 am Most people 'think' they liked original more but when they go back they'll find they hate it.
Some people will, sure. But a lot more will love it because vanilla was a completely different experience. I made a lot of random friends back then when I was, say, out in the middle of Thousand Needles and needed help with a quest. You'd run into someone else trying to do the same quest and hook up. After chatting a while you'd become friends and call each other later to help with other quests. It's actually how I found my guild and eventually those strangers became like family to me. There were a lot of good things about vanilla and one of them was how it promoted community.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 am Quests scattered all over, with no story, and all of them are some variant of 'kill 60 X', 'collect 15 Y livers'
I had so many alts (both horde side and alliance side) that I played though all those old 0-60 quests over and over and after a while they're kind of like old friends. I still remember a lot of them very well. Yes, there were a lot of kill x number of mob quests but a lot of the class quests were pretty epic and had a story. I still remember that level 20 rogue quest. And the mount quest for warlocks and bow quest for hunters. The Mankrik's wife quest was certainly a story quest. Who didn't feel righteous killing those quillboars after that? There were actually more of those types of quests than you'd think. My problem with the more modern Wow questing is that there are so many quests and leveling is so fast that everything is just a blur. Mobs became so easy to kill you hardly pay any attention to what you're doing when questing or to even what the quest text is because it's over so quick and then you're right on to the next. In classic Wow you had to think about what you were doing and use your class skills properly or you'd die. A lot.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 am What I want is to have current content, with story-based quest lines and modern conveniences, but without the mindlessness and rush of the newer expansions.
You don't have to have a mindless rush in the new expansions. There's plenty of great content if you slow down and unless you're in a competitive raiding guild, the party find system means you don't have to keep up with the Joneses.
I meant the overall gameplay in recent years, not just the expansion content.

I think Coldsteel said it better:
ColdSteel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am My problem with the more modern Wow questing is that there are so many quests and leveling is so fast that everything is just a blur. Mobs became so easy to kill you hardly pay any attention to what you're doing when questing or to even what the quest text is because it's over so quick and then you're right on to the next.
Blur is a better word to describe it than rush.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am
I meant the overall gameplay in recent years, not just the expansion content.

I think Coldsteel said it better:
ColdSteel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am My problem with the more modern Wow questing is that there are so many quests and leveling is so fast that everything is just a blur. Mobs became so easy to kill you hardly pay any attention to what you're doing when questing or to even what the quest text is because it's over so quick and then you're right on to the next.
Blur is a better word to describe it than rush.
Do you mean in expansion content or previous content?

Previous content has been addressed adequately by the scaling system. While you can't finish every zone, you can certainly enjoy the quest lines from start to finish.

Expansion content seems reasonable assuming you don't game the system with rest xp and herbing/mining xp. You'll wind up at 120 right about you finish the 3 initial zones.

Gear has been toned down in both Burning Legion and Battle for Azeroth. You can't one shot stuff any more and typically need to go through a full rotation. You can power through it a bit by using AOE pulls, but there's always been ways to game the system.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I remember the WoW launch and most of you being over on the other continent and me being the lone night elf. I think Coop and I met up after I got through the NE initial zones and got to the shore.
I found a sort of zen peace in wondering around the barrens even though there was always the possibility of being ambushed by a wandering elite

Vanilla LotRO was so hard that I stopped for a bit thinking something was wrong with me. Almost needed to group to get anything done after starter area.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got a few screenshots of from running around Wailing Caverns with the OO crew (Horde side) during vanilla around here somewhere.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The Wanderers are going to have some folks playing, including myself. We have chosen alliance this time on a pve server. I'll post here when we choose a server.

Bliz just released this:
Character name reservation for WoW Classic opens next week on Monday, August 12 at 3:00 p.m. PDT. Players with an active subscription or game time on their World of Warcraft account will be able to create up to three characters per WoW account and have the name(s) reserved before WoW Classic releases worldwide on Monday, August 26 at 3:00 p.m. PDT.

We will release details regarding realm names and realm types later this week so you can coordinate with your friends on where to begin your adventure. If there are high numbers of players congregating on individual realms during the name reservation/character creation process, we will post warnings about the potential for long queues on those realms, giving you time to choose alternate realms. Also please note: Character creation will be limited to only one faction per realm on PvP realms.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm The Wanderers are going to have some folks playing, including myself. We have chosen alliance this time on a pve server. I'll post here when we choose a server.

I checked the site and didn't see anyone talking about it?

In any case, I just posted this in the OO discord:

FYI, if you are planning on playing WoW classic name reservations are on Monday. I would love it if you would sound off just so maybe there can be some kind of effort to get various communities together on one server (since they are all new), therefore giving it a chance to have more folks playing together.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Redfive wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:17 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm The Wanderers are going to have some folks playing, including myself. We have chosen alliance this time on a pve server. I'll post here when we choose a server.

I checked the site and didn't see anyone talking about it?

In any case, I just posted this in the OO discord:

FYI, if you are planning on playing WoW classic name reservations are on Monday. I would love it if you would sound off just so maybe there can be some kind of effort to get various communities together on one server (since they are all new), therefore giving it a chance to have more folks playing together.
Red, I think the WoW Wanderers used a different site. Unfortunately the link that's on our site is no longer working so I don't know what it is now.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Redfive wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:33 pm You mean it’s nothttp://www.the-wanderers-guild.com/phpb ... d=newposts anymore?
Nope, the game guild split off onto a different site for raid organization etc, and it looks like they were using a website http://www.wanderaid.com/ but it's no longer active.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

We moved to discord. Let me make sure it's not private, and I can send links.
Black Lives Matter

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

If you'd like a Wanderers invite, pm me or check OO discord.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Stress test is live until tomorrow evening. Making a character on Barov.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Redfive wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:13 pm Stress test is live until tomorrow evening. Making a character on Barov.
I played a gnome warlock for a bit last night and I couldn't stop grinning. I'm really going to enjoy this.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 am
Redfive wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:13 pm Stress test is live until tomorrow evening. Making a character on Barov.
I played a gnome warlock for a bit last night and I couldn't stop grinning. I'm really going to enjoy this.
Yeah...ran around with a troll hunter with two others for several hours. The nostalgia is strong.

Please post when you guys make the final decision on the server--trying to spread the information around as much as possible.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Redfive wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:25 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 am
Yeah...ran around with a troll hunter with two others for several hours. The nostalgia is strong.

Please post when you guys make the final decision on the server--trying to spread the information around as much as possible.
Of course.
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Stress test extended until Monday.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does this require a subscription?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yes. It's included in the price of a standard subscription.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Character name reservation is today at 3pm PDT.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Almost forgot: server is PvE Mankrik
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm actually going to resub and play this with my 13 yr old son. It's very strange of how much I'm looking forward to playing again.

I severely burned out on WOW many years ago. I played it the first 8-9 years straight when it first came out back in 2004. I barely touched another game during that time. Since I quit cold sometime around 2013, I've not resubbed or played another MMO since. No urge until now with Classic.

I definitely will put play time rules in place. One hour on school nights and a few more during the weekends. I don't have time for more anyway.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm conflicted. Being in the WoW beta and playing for several months post-launch was an absolutely magical gaming experience for me. (And not an entirely healthy one.) I want to experience that nostalgia, even though I know it won't be quite the same.

On the other hand, I can't really imagine the gameplay being very enjoyable anymore. I really wish they found a middle ground between this old version of the game and all the improvements that have come since. Yeah, the multi-realm dungeon finder killed community. But I don't want to have to spend ages spamming LFG in chat or travel to dungeons, either. (After discovering for the first time, anyway.) I don't want the time sinks that don't enrich the experience. I don't want the fiddly micromanagement... having to stock up on reagents from NPC vendors.

Maybe if Mrs. Nym wants to tag-team it. Duoing might be the only feasible method to level certain builds.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I feel the same, Beta WoW and all of classic is such a fond memory for me but when I think back I also remember the crazy grind you had to do, leveling was awesome though, especially trying those group quests (like Hogger) by yourself and Murlocs were actually quite a challenge.

I haven't touched WoW in +- one year now I just don't have a lot of time but I might buy the xpack soon-ish and casually stroll through the content at least once and see if it's as fun as some of my friends are saying, classic, I'm probably going to stay away
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Edit: Starglide the Night Elf Hunter reporting for duty on the 27th. :horse:

(If someone could shoot me a Discord invite, that would be much appreciated). Edit: thanks, ND!
Last edited by Hamlet3145 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blizzard addresses server overcrowding.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... ate/255835

Part of the post.......
Based on name reservations so far, the Herod realm is looking to be massively overpopulated. If all existing players on this server remain there, login queues in excess of 10,000 players are a certainty, and possibly much higher than that.

We recently opened up the Stalagg realm, and we urge players on Herod to consider moving there. There are a lot of players currently on Herod and we want Stalagg to fill up before we open any new PvP realms. This is so that player population is spread as evenly as possible before launch, in order to provide the best play experience.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Any lurkers looking to play WoW classic? You are welcome to join!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Maybe in but will play at a snails pace
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am Maybe in but will play at a snails pace
I'm hearing that a lot. Don't let it stop you.
Black Lives Matter

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am Maybe in but will play at a snails pace
This is also what I'd like to do, but I already know the $15/month will trigger something in me psychologically and make me play more to 'get my money's worth'. I wish there was some kind of alternate pay model for playing a low number of hours a month.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I would say, even if you only plan to play a little, to contact the other players (this thread I'm sure will suffice) so you can get an invite to groups.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That video was neat. Really took me back. I can remember before even beta but having seen pictures of the game in magazines that me and my close group of friends thought it looked kinda bad. it was so cartoony and misshapen. We thought Everquest still looked better and thought they were really messing up making it look like that. I was the first to admit after we had played a few weeks how wrong Id been. I think its look is something that has kept it going through all the years. It didn't have to keep up and keep looking a little better each year like the ones that tried to look more realistic and failed.
Honavo

Post by Honavo »

Hope it will be official burning crusade.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Redfive wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 am I would say, even if you only plan to play a little, to contact the other players (this thread I'm sure will suffice) so you can get an invite to groups.
I am going to try and get my 10 year old daughter into it. I'm in regardless but will be casually playing.