WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Fretmute

Re: WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

Post by Fretmute »

RLMullen wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:48 pm
Jag wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 pm
RLMullen wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 pm See all the fun you've been missing for the past 14 years!! :horse:
I made a character on Emerald Dream when a bunch of people moved over there, but then i stayed on WW. I'm not a sadist :)
That was when Hordenance was chartered. We had a good group for quite a few years. We even managed to get 10 people committed to running Karazhan for a few months. That was when the raiding bug bit Fretmute. He ended up being raid leader and then guild master for the largest progression guild on the server during the WotLK xpac.
And, luckily, I managed to bail out before they ruined tanking. Victory!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've heard tell that Darnassus gets razed in BfA.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 pm I've heard tell that Darnassus gets razed in BfA.
Another Cataclysm-type expansion? Didn't they learn anything from that? Or perhaps they plan on driving subscribers away from present-day WoW to the upcoming Vanilla WoW.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Greybriar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 am Another Cataclysm-type expansion? Didn't they learn anything from that? Or perhaps they plan on driving subscribers away from present-day WoW to the upcoming Vanilla WoW.

My understanding is that it's just Darnassus and Undercity that are being destroyed. I hate both those zones so I'm happy about it. :horse:
Last edited by Exodor on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Greybriar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 am
Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 pm I've heard tell that Darnassus gets razed in BfA.
Another Cataclysm-type expansion? Didn't they learn anything from that? Or perhaps they plan on driving subscribers away from present-day WoW to the upcoming Vanilla WoW.
Is it that you didn't like Cataclysm or that you didn't like the world changing?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I don't think its a world-shaping cataclysm. I think it literally gets razed in an attack. I read that it was underutilized as a player hub and they decided to use it that way for story purposes.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am I don't think its a world-shaping cataclysm. I think it literally gets razed in an attack. I read that it was underutilized as a player hub and they decided to use it that way for story purposes.
They also have also used the option to "see it the way it was before" as a toggle. My guess is they will do the same thing here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:27 am
Is it that you didn't like Cataclysm or that you didn't like the world changing?
Cata was my last expansion as part of a competitive raid team, so I still have fond memories. I liked the reshaping of the world as well. Of course, I may have rose colored glasses as Pandaria made me drop the game completely for about 3 years.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I like to see change to the world, but found Cata underwhelming. Even when I went back and was leveling alts, I just wasn't jazzed about those zones, whereas, other expansions grew on me and I like them a lot more than i used to - like Pandaria.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 pm I like to see change to the world, but found Cata underwhelming. Even when I went back and was leveling alts, I just wasn't jazzed about those zones, whereas, other expansions grew on me and I like them a lot more than i used to - like Pandaria.
Yeah. I spend as little time in Cata as possible, but I'm a big fan of Pandaria.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Toe

Post by Toe »

I recently did some leveling in Cata and found it fun and refreshing. Lots of great content and quests I had forgotten about. The indian jones theme and rts-like quests in Uldum, the wildhammer dwarf lines in twlight highlands, Deepholm zone. were all fun to run through to me. Still hate Vashj'ir though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At the same time, I loved Vashj'ir and hated Twilight Highlands. Uldum was great, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:42 am
Baroquen wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 pm I like to see change to the world, but found Cata underwhelming. Even when I went back and was leveling alts, I just wasn't jazzed about those zones, whereas, other expansions grew on me and I like them a lot more than i used to - like Pandaria.
Yeah. I spend as little time in Cata as possible, but I'm a big fan of Pandaria.
I'm surprised. Pandaria still grates on me. I wish every stupid Hozen would die in a fire, and the timewalking dungeons are easily my least favorite.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:43 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:42 am
I'm surprised. Pandaria still grates on me. I wish every stupid Hozen would die in a fire, and the timewalking dungeons are easily my least favorite.
I agree with the dungeons. They are uninspired to say the least. My enjoyment of the expansion may be that the outdoor areas are superb visually and the storyline (at least pre-raid) is interesting. I never did any raiding in Pandaria.
Black Lives Matter

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:12 pm
I agree with the dungeons. They are uninspired to say the least. My enjoyment of the expansion may be that the outdoor areas are superb visually and the storyline (at least pre-raid) is interesting. I never did any raiding in Pandaria.
I agree here too. The Pandaria dungeons didn't do much for me. But I found the zones very entertaining. I still enjoy leveling alts through there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Playing Pandaria got me through my cancer treatment. I hooked my PC up to my TV so I could play from my recliner as I rested each day after treatments. It helped, but I can't stand to be anywhere near Pandaria now. Too many bad memories.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Welcome Back Weekend
Return Free*Through June 24
GET BACK IN THE FIGHT

Battle for Azeroth™ fast approaches and you're needed back on the front lines. This weekend only, we're upgrading all inactive WoW accounts to allow you full access to the game and all your characters without a subscription*.

Rejoin your guild, rally your comrades and get back in the fight.
Pre-Purchase Battle for Azeroth & Get Legion Free

Battle for Azeroth begins August 14. Prepare to set sail to exotic new lands where the futures of the Horde and Alliance will be remade in the fires of war. Pre-purchase now and get World of Warcraft: Legion free.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I patched up the game, updated my mods, and played less than 10 mins. It's amazing to me the contrast between when I've been absolutely hooked on this game, and the apathy I can feel at times, like now. Last thing I feel like doing is unlocking races so I get the opportunity of starting another alt. I've played way too many classes over the years, and hit my alts hard during my WoD/Legion phase. But I'm sure it's just the 'grumpy old man' in me that's feeling that way. I hope BfA does well, so maybe the next expansion has something more interesting to me.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Are there any "easy" ways you guys have found to get back into a high-level character? I've got the itch, and levelled a mage to 30 without heirlooms. But it seems kind of pointless because I've seen all this content before.

Yet, slipping into a level 70 druid I've got sitting around is extremely daunting. I looked up endgame rotations on Icy Veins, but that only gets me so far. I'm overwhelmed by all the skills and having to set up multiple toolbars. I just don't know if I have the patience to re-learn it all on my own.

In other news, what happened to glyphs? (Last played four years ago.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Sudy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm Are there any "easy" ways you guys have found to get back into a high-level character? I've got the itch, and levelled a mage to 30 without heirlooms. But it seems kind of pointless because I've seen all this content before.
Purchasing Battle for Azeroth gives you a free character boost letting you instantly level a character to 110.

I'm not aware of any other quick leveling methods at the moment.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Actually I don't want to level quickly... I want to pick up a semi-high-level character and be able to figure out what the heck I'm doing. :P 70 is hard enough, I can't fathom going straight to 110.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jag

Post by Jag »

Sudy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm Are there any "easy" ways you guys have found to get back into a high-level character? I've got the itch, and levelled a mage to 30 without heirlooms. But it seems kind of pointless because I've seen all this content before.

Yet, slipping into a level 70 druid I've got sitting around is extremely daunting. I looked up endgame rotations on Icy Veins, but that only gets me so far. I'm overwhelmed by all the skills and having to set up multiple toolbars. I just don't know if I have the patience to re-learn it all on my own.

In other news, what happened to glyphs? (Last played four years ago.)
Don't worry about rotations. Just play and level. The changed the leveling experience so you can go level pretty much anywhere and content will scale to your level. By the time you hit 110 you will know the class extremely well.

Glyphs are still around but mostly cosmetic now. Each class has a bunch of glyphs they can use to customize your character and skills.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've done it numerous times. Like he said, play and level. I'd say to stick with the rotations, though, as that gives you a core set of skills that you'll be familiar with (although you'll rarely ever go through a full rotation leveling.) Just don't think too much about the other skills. Most are highly situational or utility skills that you'll rediscover one at a time. Just read up on them and keep them in the back of your mind.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

It's pre-patch day! Let's see how it's going.

/sigh

Guess I'll play tomorrow
Jag

Post by Jag »

New animated short Warbringers: Jania The sea shanty song is really well done.

This is directly tied into the events from the RTS WC3:
Admiral Proudmoore: "You have always been naive, my daughter. You aren't old enough to remember what these monsters did to our homeland. The orcs and their kin cannot be trusted. They must be exterminated like the mongrels they are!"

Jaina: "I won't let you do it, father. You don't understand!"

Admiral Proudmoore: "I understand more than you suspect, my dear. Perhaps in time, you will too."
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Between now and BfA launch, be sure to log in each week and collect your loot chest in the Guild Hall (the one used for Mythics). It has 1000 bonus Awakening Essence which is enough to buy a Legendary. I tested that this weekend.

FWIW - I have been told by fellow guild mates that you can now buy legos for alts and send them since you can now choose which ones you get and they are reportedly account bound. So, I may use this to equip my alt with 2/week since my main (ilevel 950) already has about 22 legos, and keeps pulling off-spec ones. I haven't actually purchased the legos and tried to transfer them to my alt yet.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:28 am Between now and BfA launch, be sure to log in each week and collect your loot chest in the Guild Hall (the one used for Mythics). It has 1000 bonus Awakening Essence which is enough to buy a Legendary. I tested that this weekend.
It was a one-time "gift" only available the first week of pre-patch, because the pre-patch broke the legitimate Mythic+ loot. If you didn't get you 1000 bonus essences last week, they are gone.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:28 am Between now and BfA launch, be sure to log in each week and collect your loot chest in the Guild Hall (the one used for Mythics). It has 1000 bonus Awakening Essence which is enough to buy a Legendary. I tested that this weekend.

FWIW - I have been told by fellow guild mates that you can now buy legos for alts and send them since you can now choose which ones you get and they are reportedly account bound. So, I may use this to equip my alt with 2/week since my main (ilevel 950) already has about 22 legos, and keeps pulling off-spec ones. I haven't actually purchased the legos and tried to transfer them to my alt yet.
You can purchase specific legendaries for yourself, but they are not transferable. You can also purchase class-specific tokens, which are BoA. These grant the corresponding class a random legendary that they do not currently have.
Jag

Post by Jag »

New Warbringers: Sylvanas.

Goodbye old tree. My first stop in this crazy world.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:29 pm New Warbringers: Sylvanas.

Goodbye old tree. My first stop in this crazy world.
Destroying the tree doesn't bother me but I'm really looking forward to
Spoiler:
the Undercity getting destroyed. I can never find my way around that place.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Here is a rather in-depth spreadsheet that lays out pretty much everything you need to know if you want to level efficiently and quickly in BfA. While designed for the more hardcore players in mind, it still has lots of useful info in terms of getting characters prepared.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ?sle=true#
Toe

Post by Toe »

Someone added a little music to one of the cut scenes in today's pre-BfA scenario. Don't watch if you have not ran through it yet.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Dumb question guys...where should my main be for tomorrow's start? Silithus?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

WYBaugh wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:45 pm Dumb question guys...where should my main be for tomorrow's start? Silithus?
Not entirely clear

The first quest is turned in in SIlithus but we won't know until tomorrow if you can get that quest anywhere or if you have to pick it up in Stormwind.

I'm leaving my characters in Dalaran for now - I can get anywhere I want from there easily enough.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I think the quest will pop into your log. You will need to see the King in SW who will tell you to get to Silithus using the Uldum port in SW and flying to the big sword (or you can port yourself).

Once in silithus (BFA spoiler)
Spoiler:
you will get your Heart of Azeroth. Back to SW then to Kul Tiras with Jania, The Daughter of the Sea.
Edit: BFA Companion app is updated!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

And we're off to the races!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm not. I was on since 10AM. At 3:00 no quest. At 3:15 no quest. Logged out to try on another character and still can't log in.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:55 pm I'm not. I was on since 10AM. At 3:00 no quest. At 3:15 no quest. Logged out to try on another character and still can't log in.
My server is down too.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The realms that are down are Area 52, Illidan, Sargeras, Stormrage, and Tichondrius. So if you are on those realms, don't bother.

Also Proudmoore and Zul'jin now.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm on Hellscream. I had no logon queue and the quest was ready when I got home after work yesterday. I played about 4 hours and dinged 111 last night.