WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Exodor

Re: WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

Post by Exodor »

On Whisperwind I got in at 3:05 - and found a blank character select screen. :shock:

By 3:30 or so I was logged in and playing without incident. I got my main to 111.5 or so.

I really, really like the scrapper. My main is a Blacksmith/ Engineer. I love being able to scrap greens and get materials to feed those professions rather than having to buy ore and such from the AH
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I can't even find the scrapper :( The hub is so gigantic!!!!
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

It seems like the scrapper mechanic negatively affects people (like me) that have focused on gather skills in order to make some money in game. Item crafting seems grossly over-saturated and as a late-comer to WoW, I have just gathered mats. But, I suppose there will still be some market for high-tier mats that are consumed by sold goods. I guess we'll see how it plays out in the economy.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am I can't even find the scrapper :( The hub is so gigantic!!!!
It's in the northeast corner of the city - well in the alliance city anyway. I have no idea where it's found in the horde city.

I've only checked the price of the basic ore on the AH but it seems to be pretty high right now - it was ~40 GP per ore last night which was more than I wanted to pay. I was able to scoop up a batch at 18/ore late Monday night so prices may be all over the place right now.

I probably should be playing a gatherer and selling everything for the final push to 5,000,000 for the brontosaur (I'm at 4.2M now) but my Deathknight is my favorite character and he's blacksmith/engineering.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:42 pm It seems like the scrapper mechanic negatively affects people (like me) that have focused on gather skills in order to make some money in game. Item crafting seems grossly over-saturated and as a late-comer to WoW, I have just gathered mats. But, I suppose there will still be some market for high-tier mats that are consumed by sold goods. I guess we'll see how it plays out in the economy.
Many people are gathering and keeping their stuff until the first raid opens in September where there'll be a lot more demand particularly for herbs for alchemy.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I used this as an excuse to jump back in. I've really been missing "traditional" MMOs, and nothing fits the bill better than WoW.

In hindsight it was probably a waste to buy this full expansion when I had no high level characters, but I've always got the level boost option I guess.

I rolled up a new Tauren Druid and have been having a great time with him.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I created an OO Battle.net Community called Octopus Overlords. It allows us to chat via the bnet app, regardless of game, zone, etc.

Not sure the best way to advertise it to everyone, but I'll post the link below. Hope to see everyone in Chat!

Maybe a mod can sticky it?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:51 pm I created an OO Battle.net Community called Octopus Overlords. It allows us to chat via the bnet app, regardless of game, zone, etc.

Not sure the best way to advertise it to everyone, but I'll post the link below. Hope to see everyone in Chat!

Nice! I'll join next time I login.

I'm having a great time with BfA so far. It's taking me some time to find my way around the alliance hub city but I love that all the architecture and building layouts are new - I hate how every Inn in the old world has the exact same layout.

My highest is at 117 so it'll be sometime this week before I hit the cap and can start playing around with world quests and the other things to do at the cap.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I decided to give it yet another go, and rolled up a Night Elf Monk.

Enjoying it so far, enough to sub for a month, anyways.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Jag wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:51 pm I created an OO Battle.net Community called Octopus Overlords. It allows us to chat via the bnet app, regardless of game, zone, etc.

Nice! I logged in here to suggest this. I'll join the community next time I'm in game.

My initial impression of BfA is that it doesn't feel like an expansion. The new areas are not crowded... hell some of the areas are like ghost towns. When I went back to Legion to do the "daily grind" for the Allied races, the legion areas were completely packed. Dalaran was packed. The world quest areas were all populated, and I had no problem finding a public group for the "boss quests".

I'm wondering if they did some architectural changes to prevent the log jams that are usually part of a new expansion. With all of the cross server systems that have been added, there really isn't need to have distinct named realms anymore. I wonder if they are just spinning up copies of all the starter zones to keep from creating the log jams. If so, then their algorithm is a little too aggressive at adding processes and spreading the population.

I used to really dig the first few weeks of an expansion. I like the crush of people. Trying to find the quest giver under a mob of players and mounts is annoying, but it beats the hell out of having deserted quest hubs. Heck, I even like the battling over mob spawns that comes with a tsunami of people hitting a zone.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Can we use Discord instead? Seems much easier and friendlier plus we can even easily voice chat.

Keep in mind that Blizz now offers Class Trials to try out classes at level 110.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:16 pm Can we use Discord instead? Seems much easier and friendlier plus we can even easily voice chat.

Keep in mind that Blizz now offers Class Trials to try out classes at level 110.
I'm fine with discord, but bliz chat has voice built in.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 pm I decided to give it yet another go, and rolled up a Night Elf Monk.

Enjoying it so far, enough to sub for a month, anyways.
Shut up, I have other games to play.

I said shut up!

:D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:16 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:16 pm Can we use Discord instead? Seems much easier and friendlier plus we can even easily voice chat.

I'm fine with discord, but bliz chat has voice built in.
It's constantly dropping my connection as voice and I have 1000Mbps coming into my house. Discord does not have this issue.
Black Lives Matter
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

Hi guys,

Long time lurker here and occasional poster, been going through a lot of gaming ADD and now giving WoW another look. If you're accepting more peeps, I'd like to join you guys...fairly casual East Coast time zone but late nights usually after 10pm.

I can roll up something new, any server, either side to power through the starter content. I had mostly played Undead and was thinking of going with a hunter this time because Spider Pet.

Thanks!
-Bri
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I agree with preferring Discord for chat/voice. I already have link to OO discord, I think anybody can setup a new channel for BfA if we don't have one.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I hit 120 last night!

And because of the scaling I found I could no longer solo quest mobs and I don't have the rep required to do World Quests. :grund:

I dumped 40K on upgrades from the auction house in hopes that will get me strong enough to finish questing in Drustvar for the rep needed.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

There's supposed to be a bug right now with ilvl scaling where if you take off the artifact necklace and put on old gear in a few other inconsequential slots to get your ilvl down under 250 - mobs start melting. I don't have a 120 yet, otherwise I'd totally try it before Blizzard fixes it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got my Feral Druid up to 32 over the past three days. Having a blast with him.

I've still got a 100 Boost and a 110 Boost on standby, but I wanted to try to get one character 1-120 on my own first, even if it takes awhile.

I'm totally clueless as to what zones are best, etc. so I'm just following the quest hubs and doing my thing. I'm hoping one day I'll accidentally wind up in the Battle for Azeroth content. Having not played consistently in so many years, I have no idea what's vanilla WoW and what is stuff from the expansions.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:33 pm Got my Feral Druid up to 32 over the past three days. Having a blast with him.

I've still got a 100 Boost and a 110 Boost on standby, but I wanted to try to get one character 1-120 on my own first, even if it takes awhile.

I'm totally clueless as to what zones are best, etc. so I'm just following the quest hubs and doing my thing. I'm hoping one day I'll accidentally wind up in the Battle for Azeroth content. Having not played consistently in so many years, I have no idea what's vanilla WoW and what is stuff from the expansions.
I'm doing the same thing, hit 22 last night. This is only the second time I've played past 20, and I'm still having fun. I don't know that I"ll ever stick with it long enough to see the latest and greatest, but starting from scratch like this has been rather enjoyable so far.

Spending a a dozen or so hours just exploring this tiny little corner of the world makes me realize the massive amount of content this game has developed over 14(?) years. It's somewhat mind-boggling, really.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:33 pm Got my Feral Druid up to 32 over the past three days. Having a blast with him.

I'm doing the same thing, hit 22 last night. This is only the second time I've played past 20, and I'm still having fun. I don't know that I"ll ever stick with it long enough to see the latest and greatest, but starting from scratch like this has been rather enjoyable so far.

Spending a a dozen or so hours just exploring this tiny little corner of the world makes me realize the massive amount of content this game has developed over 14(?) years. It's somewhat mind-boggling, really.
You don't really have to worry which zones are best. The scaling system they have implemented is fantastic. You get to go basically anywhere you want below 60. Then choose between Outland and Northrend for 60-80 and Pandaria/Hyjal/Vashj/Uldam(?) for 80-90.

I'm a big fan.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jag

Post by Jag »

Blizzard has announced Battle for Azeroth is the fastest-selling #Warcraft expansion, with over 3.4 million units sold on August 14th
Fastest selling wow expansion of all time. WoW still bringing it home. Amazing.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Exodor wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 am I hit 120 last night!

And because of the scaling I found I could no longer solo quest mobs and I don't have the rep required to do World Quests. :grund:

I dumped 40K on upgrades from the auction house in hopes that will get me strong enough to finish questing in Drustvar for the rep needed.
I also noticed a significant difficulty bump when I hit 120 last night. I was iLevel 282. I assume it will get better as I work up the iLevel of my gear and also improve my artifact (was about level 12 when I hit 120). I only have 1 piece of Legion gear remaining (a legendary ring). I'm working to get to 305-ish by tomorrow night so I can do Heroics/Mythics with my guild this weekend. I plan to hit all the gear WQ today and tomorrow (I'm off). I also need to hit a random heroic every day (once I hit the required iLevel 305).

What class are you playing? I'm playing a hunter BM (I know, easy mode for questing). I have minimal problems soloing - just a few hot spots with very high spawn rates and occasional named mobs (with high crit?) that repeatedly one-shot my pets. I died maybe 8-10 times leveling from 110-120. Most of those were my fault for pushing named/rare mobs too fast.

FWIW - I quested all of tidewater and half each of the other two Alliance starting zones by the time that I hit 120. At that milestone, I had friendly+ rep with all the required factions. I only did the minimum required quests for Zandalar at 112 and 115. I think the only reputations that I'm still neutral are Champions and one of the others.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

noxiousdog wrote:You don't really have to worry which zones are best. The scaling system they have implemented is fantastic. You get to go basically anywhere you want below 60. Then choose between Outland and Northrend for 60-80 and Pandaria/Hyjal/Vashj/Uldam(?) for 80-90.
I had not played since they implemented level scaling, so this perturbed me at first. I understood what was going on because I had heard someone mention it, but my first thought was that there would be no (forced) reason for me to hit other zones and it would be a boring quest grind.

What changed my mind is realizing that as long as I followed the flow of the quest hubs, I'd see plenty of zones AND level like crazy. I'm definitely a fan now as well. Being able to just kill everything in your path and get full credit for it as you travel between quests or explore is a huge XP boost over time.
Jag wrote:Fastest selling wow expansion of all time. WoW still bringing it home. Amazing.
I kind of understand it. Not only is it a huge, polished product from a hugely popular company, it's also one of the last few of its kind: the old-school subscription-based MMO. That's certainly why I came back to it. I really missed traditional MMOs and this was like coming back home to the glory days of a decade ago.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 am
I also noticed a significant difficulty bump when I hit 120 last night.

What class are you playing? I'm playing a hunter BM (I know, easy mode for questing).

FWIW - I quested all of tidewater and half each of the other two Alliance starting zones by the time that I hit 120. At that milestone, I had friendly+ rep with all the required factions. I only did the minimum required quests for Zandalar at 112 and 115. I think the only reputations that I'm still neutral are Champions and one of the others.
I'm playing as Frost DK. The rep I was missing was the rep in Drustvar - for some reason none of the quests there grant rep until you hit one that dumps 3500 rep all at once. That got me to friendly and unlocked WQs.

The items I bought on the AH got me to where I can at least solo quest mobs (the "boss" types with the ! on them - I could still kill normal mobs even before I got my AH upgrades).

I'm disappointed in the mission table so far. The gold missions are pointless (185 gold at 200%? Really?) so once I get all the repts to exalted I won't even bother. I understand not making them gush fountains of gold like in WoD but I think they overreacted.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:ninja:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I hit 120 yesterday. I'm looking at doing a whole extra zone to unlock world quests, then grinding those to get azerite, grinding dungeons for gear, grinding rep to fly, and so on. For some reason, I just can't seem to make myself want to. It doesn't sound appealing, and it doesn't sound fun. It also sounds like exactly what burned me out in Legion, almost piece-for-piece. It just doesn't feel like gameplay.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is more thinking out loud than anything, but I'm trying to decide whether, as I don't raid, I actually want to bother with grinding at all. If not, what do I do? Farm mounts, pets, achievements? That's a different kind of repetitious (the same activities, but without any actual challenge as much of it is old content.)

Bah. Maybe it is time to just walk away.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I really have very little interest in current 'retail' WoW as I think overall it is too easy. I'm not talking about raids--just the overall questing and 5 man dungeons seem like just facerolling on the keyboard. I'm oversimplifying, but I just don't get a sense of danger or even of real satisfaction when most classes can pull many mobs at once and survive.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to Classic launching tomorrow. You can still solo, but there is actual danger and many things need a group---that pays attention---to complete. This approach requires a decent group of friends / guild / community but I'm almost certain I prefer it over the current scene. We will see, maybe I'll play two weeks of classic and find that I've just moved on period, but I doubt it.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:03 pm This is more thinking out loud than anything, but I'm trying to decide whether, as I don't raid, I actually want to bother with grinding at all. If not, what do I do? Farm mounts, pets, achievements? That's a different kind of repetitious (the same activities, but without any actual challenge as much of it is old content.)

Bah. Maybe it is time to just walk away.
The rep grind for flying isn't that bad. If you take the time to enjoy the flavor and quest lines it's even fairly enjoyable if you're not racing through. I assume you're only talking Najatar and Mechagon. The other ones are really easy if you do all the questlines and finish it off with emmisary world quests.

That being said, I totally believe in stepping away. I've left and returned a number of times. The itch comes back and the reality is if you're not having fun, there's plenty of other things to try.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah, I finished Zuldazar, then hit 120 about 3/4 of the way through Vol'dun. I thought to myself, "Hooray! I can at least check out what the endgame has to offer!" Nope. Have to do the third zone just to get to the point of unlocking the dailies. The scaling is such that it takes a long time to kill anything due to the high health, but without any real challenge (I died exactly once from 110-120, and that was because my pet pulled a half dozen others onto an elite I was fighting.) Just sitting there hitting the same four keys, over and over, for hours without any real thought or involvement is killing me. I was ready for a change, and relieved when it came, only to have to turn around and do more of the same.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:38 am Nah, I finished Zuldazar, then hit 120 about 3/4 of the way through Vol'dun. I thought to myself, "Hooray! I can at least check out what the endgame has to offer!" Nope. Have to do the third zone just to get to the point of unlocking the dailies. The scaling is such that it takes a long time to kill anything due to the high health, but without any real challenge (I died exactly once from 110-120, and that was because my pet pulled a half dozen others onto an elite I was fighting.) Just sitting there hitting the same four keys, over and over, for hours without any real thought or involvement is killing me. I was ready for a change, and relieved when it came, only to have to turn around and do more of the same.
You don't have to do the whole zone to unlock dailies. You do have to start all three zones, get friendly (super easy), and unlock the three War Campaign zones.

Once your world quests are open, you'll get access to gear in a hurry.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I figured it would take longer, as they seem to have really slowed down rep gain. I'll take a look, thanks.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:24 pm I figured it would take longer, as they seem to have really slowed down rep gain. I'll take a look, thanks.
Flying is kind of a pain. If that is what you are looking for, it's going to be about a month of doing emissary quests and the new zones.

If you're just looking for some new gear and to get through the story, it's only a few hours to open up WQ. Regardless, all the lore is really good with the exception of the weird stuff they are doing with Sylvanus. It's worth doing just to see the cinematics and see what's going on (even though they are available online).
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, I've spent some time at 120 now. I've unlocked the Island Expeditions and done a bunch, I've unlocked Nazjatar, gotten a full set of Benthic armor (and upgraded most of it), unlocked Warfronts, I've completed the war campaign up through the Revered level for the achievement. I've explored all the zones, although I have yet to touch Mechagon. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much left if I'm not heading toward Mythics/raiding or looking to grind out the world quests for flying rep (Tortollans, ugh.) I'm not really going to get better gear, and my Heart is level 56 already.

I'm not sure how I feel about taking the time to go look for old transmog/pets/mounts. I just don't enjoy grinds anymore. They're not gameplay, they're not entertainment. They're just busywork to keep people busy and out of the way until the next content patch (which as a non-raider....)