WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

Post by Jag »

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/battl ... or Azeroth
Azeroth paid a terrible price to end the apocalyptic march of the Legion’s crusade—but even as the world’s wounds are tended, it is the shattered trust between the Alliance and Horde that may prove hardest to mend. As this age-old conflict reignites, join your allies and champion your faction’s cause—Azeroth’s future will be forged in the fires of war.

RECRUIT ALLIED RACES
Explore Azeroth as one of six new playable Allied Races, including four you've encountered in your campaign against the Legion. Embark on a quest to earn their favor and unlock each race, adding their strength to your faction. Create a new character and complete the full leveling experience to earn a distinctive Heritage Armor set.

ALLIANCE KINGDOM
KUL TIRAS
As a hero of the mighty Alliance, journey to the seafaring kingdom of Kul Tiras, home of Jaina Proudmoore. Untangle a web of betrayal and dark magic as you encounter power-hungry pirates, witches wielding death magic, mystical sea priests, and more. Explore the stony peaks of Tiragarde Sound, trek across Drustvar’s high plains and red forests, and navigate the intricate inland canals of Stormsong Valley as you convince this fractured kingdom to join your cause.

HORDE EMPIRE
ZANDALAR
Prepare the Horde for war by recruiting the ancient empire of Zandalar. In this troll-dominated territory, ancient evil waits to be unleashed on the world as you battle crazed blood-troll worshippers, gargantuan dinosaurs, and titan constructs. Discover Zuldazar, the oldest city in Azeroth; unveil the bleak swamps of Nazmir; and traverse the deadly deserts of Vol'dun.

PLUNDER UNCHARTED ISLANDS
Set sail for the previously unmapped isles of Azeroth. Battle in groups of three as you race against cunning rival intruders—or enemy players—to collect the island’s resources. Constantly evolving challenges await as you traverse frozen landscapes near Northrend, open the gates of an abandoned Gilnean castle, navigate a war between elementals and more.

STORM THE WARFRONTS
Head to the frontlines and take part in a large-scale 20-player cooperative Warfront to claim a key strategic location. Build up your faction’s forces, lead the charge as your troops lay siege to the objective, and battle the enemy commanders as they make their last stand in this new PvE mode inspired by classic Warcraft RTS battles.

INFUSE ARMOR WITH TITANIC MIGHT
Take control of the Heart of Azeroth—a legendary neck piece entrusted to you by Magni Bronzebeard. Imbue it with Azerite, an invaluable resource that’s emerged in the Legion’s wake, to customize your armor with new powers and traits.
I hope you like your Elves....Dark
Blackhawk

Re: WoW Expansion: Battle for Azeroth

Post by Blackhawk »

Jag wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:45 pm

I hope you like your Elves....Dark
Banshee, actually, but close! ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

And there was something wrong with the thread that I already started 2 hours earlier?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

No idea if the game will be any good but their cinematic trailers for their games always look awesome! :)
Jag

Post by Jag »

gilraen wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:38 pm And there was something wrong with the thread that I already started 2 hours earlier?
That was only for Classic which is being released with patch 7.3.5. This is about the new expansion.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah, there was a thread for this too. It just got missed - it happens.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Nothing in that description seems interesting to me. Didn't really play the game for lore/story. Don't really like the instanced-zone-level technique. Not interested in new races (new alts?).

/shrug. Nothing for which I want to slap down new sub money. (But they're doing fine without me.)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm curious how they plan to handle the transition away from legendary weapons. We've spent an entire expansion using the same weapon - will we just toss it aside in a the new leveling zone as soon as a green drops?

looks like they're doing another stat squish which is probably for the best - the numbers are getting kind of out of control right now. I'm little ambivalent about expanding zone levelling to every zone. One of the joys of being high level is going back and one-shotting stuff in the old zones. I also hope they leave old dungeons and raids as they are because I like soloing them to try to get mount drops.

EDIT - this makes me feel better about zone scaling.
Every zone in the game will now feature a much wider spread of levels, and enemies and quests in a zone will scale based on the level of the player. There will be a max level that zones can scale to, so if you enter a beginner zone as a level 120 character, you’ll still be able to slice through pretty effortlessly.

Also - no more legendaries but the Titanforging system will continue. I assumed we'd be losing legendaries but I'm glad titanforging is going to continue. It's one of my favorite parts of Legon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Full trailer

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:28 pm I'm curious how they plan to handle the transition away from legendary weapons. We've spent an entire expansion using the same weapon - will we just toss it aside in a the new leveling zone as soon as a green drops?
I think I read that at the beginning of the expansion the weapons will use their "Artifact Power" to help heal the hole in Silithus and become normal weapons. So you can keep and transmog them, but they don't have the same power anymore.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:29 pm Full trailer
Nice to see Heath Ledger working again.
There is no hug button. Sad!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

While I love the cinematics, at this point Blizzard and Games Workshop keep stealing from each other's aesthetic so much (HEY, BLIZZARD STARTED IT) that, without prompts, I might not be able to tell which property a video is from.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:27 pm While I love the cinematics, at this point Blizzard and Games Workshop keep stealing from each other's aesthetic so much (HEY, BLIZZARD STARTED IT) that, without prompts, I might not be able to tell which property a video is from.
Blizzard only sorta started it. They didn't actually set out to steal Warhammer's aesthetic - they tried to make a Warhammer game, but couldn't pull off the license and had to rebrand it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I sent the trailer to my friend I used to WoW with. He and his husband (who now live out of the area) have been considering WoW for a while, but never took the plunge. Apparently the trailer pushed them over the edge. They asked if I was interested. I was noncommittal - I'm interested, but playing WoW tends to be all-or-nothing for me. So yesterday I get an email from them with a 90 day subscription code.

So I guess I'm playing WoW again.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The expansion went on pre-order today. I went to Blizzard's website to buy it, got message "You are 2,743rd in line. Estimated wait time: 1 day".

Crazy people! I'll come back next week...
Jag

Post by Jag »

Mine said 4 days, then 2 days. It only took about a 5-6min actual.

Bought the Digital Deluxe with 5 wow gold tokens and still have enough gold for over 2 years of subscriptions.

Already playing the new races. Pretty cool. That Horde raptor mount is nice.

Last edited by Jag on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I think I have all the exalted reps to unlock the new allied races, except for Void Elves. I'm in no rush to level any more characters, to be honest, since I can't just level them to max level and drop them...I feel like to have to do all major questlines on them and gear them up at least to LFR level :) It's way more work than anyone should ever dump into alts but I just can't help myself.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm Mine said 4 days, then 2 days. It only took about a 5-6min actual.

Bought the Digital Deluxe with 5 wow gold tokens and still have enough gold for over 2 years of subscriptions.

I'm sad that they haven't added additional character slots - I've already got 12 characters at 110 on Whisperwind.

They say the additional slots are "coming soon." :|
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 pm
Jag wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm Mine said 4 days, then 2 days. It only took about a 5-6min actual.

I'm sad that they haven't added additional character slots - I've already got 12 characters at 110 on Whisperwind.

They say the additional slots are "coming soon." :|
Yeah. They are going to hot fix the new slots in soon. I'm full of 110s on WW too, but I have some alts on Dentarg as well which is the shared server.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

At least they are making the alliance look like the evil people they really are? :)
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Jag wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm Bought the Digital Deluxe with 5 wow gold tokens and still have enough gold for over 2 years of subscriptions.
lesse, at the 181k per wow token price they are at right now... 5 would be 900k, 24x 181... 4.34 mil... so over 5.2 mil gold.

Now I am officially jealous
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Will flying again be gated does anyone know? I’ve never made it past any of the gates and I hate playing without flying.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not played in a few years now. I used to go back for every expansion pack but none after Pandaria. I loved it. I loved it so much I burnt out after ALL those years and haven't been interested in one since. This one holds promise and Im interested but Ill never return. Too many packs behind to fool with.

Wait...if those are the races why is there a dark elf with the Alliance and what happened to the blood elves I loved to play?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:18 pm Will flying again be gated does anyone know? I’ve never made it past any of the gates and I hate playing without flying.
Yes, still gated. They said that in a Q&A panel a couple of months ago.
I hate playing without flying too, but since the gating involved quest lines and rep - stuff that I do anyway - I didn't have to go out of the way to get it in Legion. The grind in WoD seemed worse, actually. No information yet on what the requirements will be in BfA.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 pm Wait...if those are the races why is there a dark elf with the Alliance and what happened to the blood elves I loved to play?
The one in the picture - that the new Void Elf race. It's Alliance-only.
Blood elves are still there, still part of the Horde, they haven't changed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ok. Always felt the undead and tauren should be alliance...Sylvanas should help the good guys and the tauren are just nobel and honorable. I thoguht the blodo elves were alliance for some reason...guess same reason. Now I recall night elves being alliance.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

gilraen wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:42 pm I hate playing without flying too, but since the gating involved quest lines and rep - stuff that I do anyway - I didn't have to go out of the way to get it in Legion. The grind in WoD seemed worse, actually. No information yet on what the requirements will be in BfA.
I'm OK with them gating flying at the beginning of expansions as long as they don't wait too long to open it up. It worked OK in Legion and WoD

According to WoWhead the additional character slots are now active so I'm going to get started levelling my new characters - and using that free 110 boost to get another max-level guy
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As long as opening it up isn't too grindy.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Created my two new Allied race characters and either Blizzard loosened the name filter (or broke it) or they deleted a bunch of inactive characters.

On Whisperwind, a launch server, I was able to grab these names:

Ignite (fire mage)
Autoshot (Hunter)

:?: :horse:
Jag

Post by Jag »

Exodor wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:13 pm Created my two new Allied race characters and either Blizzard loosened the name filter (or broke it) or they deleted a bunch of inactive characters.

On Whisperwind, a launch server, I was able to grab these names:

Ignite (fire mage)
Autoshot (Hunter)

:?: :horse:
They did do a huge name purge a few years ago. I think it's a rolling deletion of names based on how long the account has been inactive.

I still have some stuff with OOers names on it, like GreenGoo's tailor Warlock Darkyened :D
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

BfA release date officially set on Aug.14th.

Days off from work officially requested :D
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I pre-ordered Battle for Azeroth for the sole purpose of being able to get the new level cap of 120. New skins for existing races don't interest me much--where are the NEW races?

Some of the best news I would like to get would be that it would no longer be necessary for players to enter instances, participate in raids, or do PvP for whatever the reason. A LOT LESS mandatory grinding would also be appreciated. And how about going back to the old method of being able to fly in new zones once a certain level has been reached? I'm sick to death of weeks of grinding achievements.

I almost did not renew my WoW subscription and I am still not sure I should have. I used to run a lot of alts. Now I hardly have the time to run a couple due to the mandatory this or that the developers have shoved down our throats.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Greybriar wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:28 am
Some of the best news I would like to get would be that it would no longer be necessary for players to enter instances, participate in raids, or do PvP for whatever the reason. A LOT LESS mandatory grinding would also be appreciated. And how about going back to the old method of being able to fly in new zones once a certain level has been reached? I'm sick to death of weeks of grinding achievements.
Wouldn't that mean about 2 weeks of content then nothing to do?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's how I read it. You'd end up with a 10-level mediocre single-player RPG.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Greybriar wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:28 am I almost did not renew my WoW subscription and I am still not sure I should have. I used to run a lot of alts. Now I hardly have the time to run a couple due to the mandatory this or that the developers have shoved down our throats.
I've been playing WoW for a long time and nothing has been mandatory.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 am
Greybriar wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:28 am I almost did not renew my WoW subscription and I am still not sure I should have. I used to run a lot of alts. Now I hardly have the time to run a couple due to the mandatory this or that the developers have shoved down our throats.
If you want to fly it is (at least in Legion), and a lot of crafting has been tied to group content as well.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:47 am
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 am
If you want to fly it is (at least in Legion), and a lot of crafting has been tied to group content as well.
Flying doesn't require a group. Some crafting does but normal instances are so easy it's hard to consider a 10 minute run with others a hardship. In fact, I'm not even sure you need anyone to run a normal. It's probably soloable at this point. Also, mandatory means you have to do it. You don't.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pathfinder part 1 requires a Xavius kill. That's not just a dungeon, that's a raid.

And no, it isn't mandatory. Neither is leaving the starting zone, but if you want full access to the solo content once you've finished the major quest lines, you'll want to be able to fly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's also relevant that every single zone's solo storyline ends in a dungeon. If you want to see how the story ends, the final chapter is always group content. That's been a weakness of WoW for a long time. All the significant story beats have always been locked behind the highest group content. I know a lot of people who love the story and lore, but hate running dungeons, let alone raids. Those people never get to see the story that they're supposed to be part of unless they watch it on YouTube.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 am Pathfinder part 1 requires a Xavius kill. That's not just a dungeon, that's a raid.

And no, it isn't mandatory. Neither is leaving the starting zone, but if you want full access to the solo content once you've finished the major quest lines, you'll want to be able to fly.
Hmm. Fair enough. I'm also ok with an MMORPG requiring some grouping. Especially since they have provided such easy means to access it. But again, we're talking about 10 minutes to kill Xavius? 10 to run a normal dungeon?

edit: Also, they go WAY out of their way to provide solo content.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't entirely disagree. I have never found group content to be all that bad. That's especially true at the end of an expansion when there is almost no interaction due to most groups rushing through the content so fast that they don't have time to type. I just know a whole lot of people who so dislike gaming with random strangers that they will actively avoid anything like it.

I love WoW, and I've played off and on since launch. They've just got this annoying approach that puts the top 10% of all content behind high-end group stuff. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just certain types of content, but crafting, flight, storylines, lore, cosmetics, pets, mounts, quests, 'special content (garrisons, holidays), meta achievements, and so much more always seems to end up at the door to a dungeon, raid, arena, or battleground.