Kingdom and Kingdom: New Lands

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Kingdom and Kingdom: New Lands

Post by Carpet_pissr »

http://www.kingdomthegame.com/

Wow. This is on Steam and apparently mobile as well (would be amazing on a tablet I bet). Such a fresh, new game. Mechanics are pretty unique and really have me hooked.

Graphics are pixel, but modern pixel if you know what I mean, not vintage so much.

But wow, just try this game (New Lands is the follow up and I think maybe even the better game, but you get the first one as well if you buy the second). I am not going to even go into details because this is one of those games where most of the fun is figuring out how it works. I highly recommend not looking anything up at all, in fact. You will figure it out, and while that seems like not much fun, it really is, and not frustrating at all.

Basic premise without spoiling anything, is that you are a monarch on a horse in a 2D plane, on an island. It has a Minecraftian approach to night and day cycles (i.e. the freaks come out at night). There, I've said too much. Just go play it and report back here! :D If you don't love it, I will take the blame.
Skinypupy

Re: Kingdom and Kingdom: New Lands

Post by Skinypupy »

I have it on iPad. Interesting concept, but I got bored with it pretty quickly.

Little B 8.8 loves it though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, after playing both of these versions multiple times and not being able to beat either one, I am having to look things up.

I'm putting this game into a rare category that includes Plants v Zombies (the original), Kingdom Rush, and a couple others.

Basically casual games that are so perfectly balanced (and difficult, maybe with the exception of PvZ), that I play them for much longer than I normally would any other casual game.

This one in particular is unique in that it's level is random, so WHEN you fail, as you learn what things do what, it is at least somewhat new each time (though the mechanics are the same).

Really can't recommend this enough for those of you I know that are Kingdom Rush fanatics like I am. This is not a TD game, but this game has the same quality and challenge that KR does. A lot of repetition required to master the level, but worth it, and enjoyable each time.

3 person dev team apparently, FWIW. I love supporting this kind of innovation and creativity.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I really enjoyed this game, too. Your horse's relatively slow speed and limited endurance make for a very zen experience, punctuated by moments of panic when the monsters attack. It also cultivates a great sense of mystery if you go in cold and avoid wikis/guides at the beginning.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:31 am I really enjoyed this game, too. Your horse's relatively slow speed and limited endurance make for a very zen experience, punctuated by moments of panic when the monsters attack. It also cultivates a great sense of mystery if you go in cold and avoid wikis/guides at the beginning.
Yeah, should someone pick this up, I emphasize again that this is one of those games where you don't want to spoil the stuff you will learn on your own. I'm just now looking things up after 17 hours or so (and learning a lot!).

Too bad this dev has only produced this one series. Would love to see what else they can do.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone else played this? I’m a bit stuck and feel the need to brain pick. I know a bunch of people here own it. Talking to you lurker! Come on out! I won’t bite (much). HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:33 am Anyone else played this? I’m a bit stuck and feel the need to brain pick. I know a bunch of people here own it. Talking to you lurker! Come on out! I won’t bite (much). HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP.
Let's see some (spoiler marked) questions on where you're stuck!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:41 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:33 am Anyone else played this? I’m a bit stuck and feel the need to brain pick. I know a bunch of people here own it. Talking to you lurker! Come on out! I won’t bite (much). HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP.
Let's see some (spoiler marked) questions on where you're stuck!
Just need help "finishing" the first one (Kingdom: Classic):
Spoiler:
I always lose at what has to be the end game part. I have the castle fully upgraded, 2 knights on both sides, 2 catapults, and generally try to have both statues active (this is around day 30 something maybe?) Not sure if ONLY attacking one side is the way to go, or both sides, a little at a time. Problem is I get swamped and overrun no matter how good my defense seems to be. Wondering if there is a recommended "don't attack a portal until X days" or something.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Spoiler:
Are you upgrading walls near the portal you're attacking? Do you have a high count of archers?

Also, I'm a bit rusty but I do seem to remember having good luck focusing on one side at a time.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 pm
Spoiler:
Are you upgrading walls near the portal you're attacking? Do you have a high count of archers?

Also, I'm a bit rusty but I do seem to remember having good luck focusing on one side at a time.
Yes to your first question, and ? to your second. Not sure how many is enough. That could be my problem as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I might actually pick this up before the Fall sale ends. Not only is the price right, but the download size means I could be playing relatively quick. Thanks for starting the thread here. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did pick it up...and considered returning it. I have played about 5 hours between the two games and I don't get them. Clearly it's a "trial and error" style game where you need to come up with a viable strategy, developed over repeated restarts. I really don't like those kinds of games at all. I've tried to give it a go, but I don't think it's for me.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:09 pm I did pick it up...and considered returning it. I have played about 5 hours between the two games and I don't get them. Clearly it's a "trial and error" style game where you need to come up with a viable strategy, developed over repeated restarts. I really don't like those kinds of games at all. I've tried to give it a go, but I don't think it's for me.
Sorry, man. Perhaps I should have emphasized that it was that kind of game. I JUST now completed the first one, last night, after....many, many hours of play. So many I don't even want to look in Steam to see the total. :D

Edit: Ah, crap, I just looked. Hopefully several hours in that total were spent idly card farming. Still... :shock:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I just got this for the Switch which is where I think I'll get the most play out of it. It's not a game I need to play on my computer.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lorini wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:48 pm I just got this for the Switch which is where I think I'll get the most play out of it. It's not a game I need to play on my computer.
No, and I actually regret not buying it for the iPad as opposed to the desktop. I'm sure it's even better using a touchscreen (or console) given the game functions.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently I should have waited a few more weeks for the free giveaway. Well, at least others can try it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I got the first one free with the purchase of New Lands fwiw.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As did I. But I do think it would have been better (for me) to get the first one for free to try it out and realize it's not my type of game. :wink:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ah, right. Sorry!