Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms

Post by Skinypupy »

Why does this exist? And more importantly...why can't I stop playing it?

It's a "clicker" game set in the Forgotten Realms universe. Your team is on the left, enemies come from the right. You click on them until they die and collect their loot. That's literally the extent of the gameplay. You're playing through familiar settings (Underdark, Neverwinter, Seord Coast, etc.), and you gain skills, equipment, etc as you level up. You do have a bit of influence over how you level characters, how to positioning the party to get bonuses, etc., but the game essentially plays itself.

Thing is, however, it's all horribly addicting. It's structured in quests, which take you from a single wimpy level 1 character dishing out single digit damage, to a full party of death incarnate, doing billions of damage with every attack. Once you finish the quest, you start all over with a new one, back at level one. Something about it just makes me want to keep playing, but I can't really put my finger on why. And judging from Steam, I'm not the only one.

If you enjoy D&D and want something mindless and fun, I'd highly recommend giving it a look. It's free, after all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Re: Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms

Post by GreenGoo »

Did you see the DLC list? Given your description, I'm incredulous that the DLC would be worth almost CAN$200 in gameplay improvements.

But...you have me curious, so I'm downloading the base game.

edit: Ok, it's Tap Titans but with D&D and a whole mess of meta stuff added.

It's also addictive as hell.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, I can’t ever see myself spending much actual $$ on it, although I may throw $5 their way to support the developer. I’ve definitely gotten that much fun out of it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had the same observations. Who would play this? Why would you play this? Then I finished 7 adventures. It *is* somehow relaxing, once you're up and running and just cutting though everything. But yes, also really addictive. I gave it a try because of the D&D theme. For a free game I have enjoyed it more than games I've paid $20 or more to own.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I used this to put myself to sleep last night. When I went to fire it up for a couple of minutes today during a quick break, and it had reset my progress and wouldn't show any of the characters. Uninstalled.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Each new adventure starts from scratch.

I thought the campaign map was supposed to be persistent though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, once you complete a campaign location / mission, there are additional adventures unlocked in that same area that are more difficult.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:41 pm Each new adventure starts from scratch.

I thought the campaign map was supposed to be persistent though.
The map is persistent. You start each adventure with one level one character, and you have to re-recruit each character for each adventure. It does seem like whatever equipment you gained carries over though, so your characters aren't coming in naked.

It gets brutal as you get to the higher levels. I've had to backtrack a number of times in order to get more gold to bump up my levels in order to beat bosses once you get into the Stage 30+ range (health resets if you jump back a stage, and you can do that without any penalty). It's fun doing 10 trillion damage though. :)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I haven't really played the clicker games much in the past, but I like the Forgotten Realms so I downloaded it and gave it a shot. I made it through the first "Brief Tour" but was aware of the grind at around level 20ish. I only pushed through because I knew it ended at 25. So it's fun, and I'll play around with it a bit, but strongly suspect I'll grow bored with it before I get to the "drop some money because I appreciate the game" level.

Fun though, my kids like watching, and I never would have stumbled on it without hearing about it here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I barely click. I have been reading the forums while my guys do their things. I level them up when I've accumulated a pile of gold. The game is designed to play itself, but has enough interaction to keep people interested who want something to do.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The fact that it plays through steam and so I don't think you can play another game while this plays itself in the background is disappointing. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: Never mind, I'm currently playing Moo4 while Champions runs in the background.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:40 pm I barely click. I have been reading the forums while my guys do their things. I level them up when I've accumulated a pile of gold. The game is designed to play itself, but has enough interaction to keep people interested who want something to do.
I did my first 50 stage adventure this afternoon. I got to stage 49, then let it run for a couple hours while I got the kids lunch and played with them for a while. When I came back, I was able to level two characters to where they were doing over 16 quadrillion damage with each attack. :lol: I'm sure that's nowhere near the limit, but it was pretty funny to see.

I fully agree with Baroquen that it'll get boring at some point, but I'm still having fun with it in a mindless sort of way.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Patch tonight and now it won't load past "loading: User account".

Tried validating files. 2 were found to be an issue but nothing was redownloaded as far as I can tell. I moved the install and "rediscovered" the files, still won't load.

Will check in tomorrow to see if it's a global problem or just mine.

Interestingly, the game doesn't crash and task manager shows it running just fine. Some sort of broken code loop maybe.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My kids play this stuff. I laugh at them. Now at laugh at you.

I won't try it because I don't want to laugh at me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's incredibly low maintenance.

Will be bored eventually, but not yet.

Laugh away, I can take it. :coffee: :wink:

edit: Game working today. New event, new files.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

They've got a recruitment drive going on. Instead of giving us links that people can use, they've asked us to provide email addresses of the people you want to invite.

They are giving away a few in game items (decent, but not spectacular), so if anyone is on the fence and wants in, PM me your email address and I'll send it in.

Or consider Skinypupy for same.

Long shot, but what the hell.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I know that at least a few people quietly have this running in the background, so maybe you can help.

Can someone explain favor to me? Aside from being a multiplier for cash drops, what does it do?

Specifically (but not limited to) is there a "strategy" to converting event favor to the default favour(s)?

I would love a full explanation, but I can work with the answer to this question, if anyone knows: Is it better to convert to a pool that is big, or a pool that is small? I.e. do I gain more by converting to a pool that already contains a lot of favour, or is the event favour better spent being put into a pool with a small amount of favor.

This is almost certainly a math question but I can't even be bothered to figure out what the question looks like (from a math perspective) to answer it.

Any takers?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, a google search shows that I have NO IDEA how favour works beyond acting as a multiplier. I still have no idea, but at least now I know that I am completely ignorant.

If anyone has a favor for dummies guide, or wants to take the time to write a short one, I would be very appreciative.

Separately, I noticed that the only hero I'm missing is Drizz't. That's kind of a good thing, I guess. Feels like progress, maybe?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What the hell is armor-hit based health?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I am slightly shocked that there isn't a regular meeting place for people to post their formations for each adventure. Many adventures don't have a formation thread anywhere (mostly on steam or Reddit) that google can find at all.

I'm way too lazy to do the leg work myself. Because of the popularity of the game and the fact that the formations are based on math, I'm surprised there isn't a place where mathematicians compete for the most efficient formation and post them. I get that there are lots of random elements that affect this (gear being the primary one) and make competition less than completely objective, still I'm surprised. And disappointed. I just want to steal other peoples' good ideas, not come up with them myself.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got this yesterday and played a while and shut down. I went and mowed the yard and stuff and a few hours later returned to find my game had run somehow and I had 12 million bucks. Surprised me. When I went to bed at 5am this morn I left them on lvl 19 and now it has 220 million.

Calliope is my last character right now. My lvls are

click 21
bruenor 180
celeste 60
nayeli 30
jarlaxel 21
calliopi 5

But Im about to spend that 220 million on lvls and such. May go ahead and get Asharra fpr 50 million. I have no idea what Im doing. I just buy new members when I can and upgrade the old as I go. I cant believe the dwarf is 180 but my newest I cant afford 6 hahaha.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:41 am I am slightly shocked that there isn't a regular meeting place for people to post their formations for each adventure. Many adventures don't have a formation thread anywhere (mostly on steam or Reddit) that google can find at all.
Awesome, Goo's gonna fix us up!
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:41 am I'm way too lazy to do the leg work myself. Because of the popularity of the game and the fact that the formations are based on math, I'm surprised there isn't a place where mathematicians compete for the most efficient formation and post them. I get that there are lots of random elements that affect this (gear being the primary one) and make competition less than completely objective, still I'm surprised. And disappointed. I just want to steal other peoples' good ideas, not come up with them myself.
Well, that was disappointing.

:lol:

Kidding GG, I tried this game briefly when this thread started and decided it's not for me. I really did read this though and thought you were going to work on something after reading that first paragraph. Seems like so many folks around here do (you've done similar (lesser nature, but same general concept of game aid) before I think).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

25 year old me would absolutely set up some sort of formula spreadsheet dealie.

I'm not even managing my life successfully (well, I'm starting to do so) right now. I have time and energy to shoot things in game. That's it. Hell, the learning curve for new games are almost insurmountable at the moment.

There is zero chance I do any data mining or system analysis. You're right though, I definitely delve deeply if I can, and then report back here in case it's of use to anyone. Sometimes I just do it to document what I've discovered even if I think no one else is playing.

Where are all the young engineers/mathematicians when you need them (for gaming!)?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No matter how much money you have when you return it sure spends fast.

Also didn't like at the end of the first adventure it forced me to go onto the next.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Most idle clickers (well, Tap Titans and Idle Champions are) are pure math based. All the numbers (hp, damage, cash) all operate on orders of magnitude. The exponent discussion for Blackhawk's son's calculator is directly applicable for these games.

If you charted the cost of unlocking 1 hero then the next then the next, it would be a curve that starts shallow and gets ever steeper, by design.

My point is that Idle Champions is a math game (as are most clickers I've seen) with a D&D covering.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

If anyone has a taste for clicker/idle games, I'll put in a plug for Antimatter Dimensions. It's nice and clean, more layers of prestige than any other idle game I've played, and lets you see some unbelievably big numbers. Doesn't have all the variety of something like Realm Grinder, but still hypnotizes you into watching the numbers spin.

Of course, if you want an idle game with variety in it, go to kongregate and play Anti-Idle: The Game.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still on my 2nd adventure but Ive had that tutorial messages mess my game up twice. Once in the first one and now once here. He'll tell me to click something after taking me away from the main play screen and I cant click it. Have to shut it down and try it again.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just noticed my familiars aren't click attacking.

Is this a bug, or was there a change that I don't understand?

If it's a bug, I'm surprised it hasn't been patched yet, as it's a pretty significant one.

If it's not a bug, what was the change? As far as I can tell, they do nothing in the attack slots right now.

edit: And 10 seconds after posting this, I realize I recently reduced all the graphical settings because the game was stuttering like mad for no reason I could tell. It only stopped when I turned off UI caching.

So the familiars aren't animating, but I do see the little lightning bolts hitting monsters if I watch carefully enough, so they are attacking, there just isn't an attack animation. So on the one hand they appear to be working, but on the other I'm a dumbass. Damn it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This "game" is suboptimal. It's gacha as much as it is clicker. I've played a few of each, but I find nothing redeemable about this one at all unless D&D is your shiniest bag. It absolutely hooked me at first, and the moment-to-moment "gameplay" will suck you in with "just one more upgrade". But it's devoid of context, and the damage and gold numbers multiply so rapidly that they lose all relevance. Yeah, I get that's a clicker thing, and this is possibly the first "serious" clicker I've played.

But there's just no payoff here. The art style is competent but the animations are horrid... I can't imagine wanting to spend money on it. You open chests so quickly and in volume that it's uninteresting. Equipment is essentially a series of "colours" that add multipliers to abilities and stack for eternity. Yeah, I get that that holds true for most games in general when you break it down... but there's very little attempt at pretense here. There are rudimentary storylines that appear modestly interesting at first, but you're encouraged to play the game AFK, so you never see them. To get familiars to do most of the helpful things you either have to pony up or grind for hours and hours. And what's the reward? More identical-feeling quests. Ad nauseam. Until you die.

Somewhere in the world, coopasonic is laughing at me.

/old man yells at cloud

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:59 am This "game" is suboptimal. It's gacha as much as it is clicker. I've played a few of each, but I find nothing redeemable about this one at all unless D&D is your shiniest bag. It absolutely hooked me at first, and the moment-to-moment "gameplay" will suck you in with "just one more upgrade". But it's devoid of context, and the damage and gold numbers multiply so rapidly that they lose all relevance. Yeah, I get that's a clicker thing, and this is possibly the first "serious" clicker I've played.

But there's just no payoff here. The art style is competent but the animations are horrid... I can't imagine wanting to spend money on it. You open chests so quickly and in volume that it's uninteresting. Equipment is essentially a series of "colours" that add multipliers to abilities and stack for eternity. Yeah, I get that that holds true for most games in general when you break it down... but there's very little attempt at pretense here. There are rudimentary storylines that appear modestly interesting at first, but you're encouraged to play the game AFK, so you never see them. To get familiars to do most of the helpful things you either have to pony up or grind for hours and hours. And what's the reward? More identical-feeling quests. Ad nauseam. Until you die.

Somewhere in the world, coopasonic is laughing at me.

/old man yells at cloud
Someone posted a review of self playing games recently. I hadn't tried one since, I think the XKCD one. Or at least it was in XKCD font with lots of Swedish names. I picked this up based on it's free Epic upgrades. I'm "enjoying" it well enough, I guess. I start it up and let it run in the backgound. I update every so often until progress slows too much and then repeat. The game isn't the clicking. It's optimizing the self play enough to progress enough to get better results the next time you progress.

I don't see it sticking with my like the Marvel Super Hero card collection that hooked me for over a year and I don't see me spending money. But I'm enjoying what it is well enough for now. I *did* get a bit obsessive combing for many many locked chests over the weekend. I even joined the newsletter and discord. That was a bit much and about as much obessessing as it was going to be for me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you don't feel like clicking on all the Twitch stream notifications, the nice folks on reddit have a habit of posting the codes, which are usually good for a week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Also, I've unlocked a Modron Core, which allows me to run two teams at once. You have to have acquired at least two heroes for each slot, complete the play-in mission, and then you can set up two parties and switch between them. This puts you back in a Familiar dearth, but increasing gem drop rate to two teams should eliminate that problem eventually.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

When Minsc is in my formation, there are times when a chattering Minsc head appears over some of the monsters. Does anyone know what is going on when this happens?

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My memory says those are marked minsc spawned extra enemies but my memory is not to be trusted.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:46 pm When Minsc is in my formation, there are times when a chattering Minsc head appears over some of the monsters. Does anyone know what is going on when this happens?

Enlarge Image
Might be a taunt that I think Minsc has to get enemies to focus on him?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I don't see a taunt ability in any of his character info. He's a DPS character rather than a tank, so there wouldn't be much reason for him to have a taunt.

The best guess I've been able to come up with is that they might be flagging the extra enemies generated by his boast ability, which would mean that they don't actually do anything other than signify that they wouldn't be there if Minsc would just shut his mouth for a while. :lol:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:46 pm When Minsc is in my formation, there are times when a chattering Minsc head appears over some of the monsters. Does anyone know what is going on when this happens?

Enlarge Image
It's his "Boastful" ability. You can find it on his Upgrades page. Basically it's an extra spawn, so you can get the level goal of "X" number of monsters defeated faster. Get a couple speed champs together like Shandie, Minsc and Melf going and you can go at hyperspeed!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Cool, thanks!