Neverwinter Nights EE!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Fitzy

Neverwinter Nights EE!

Post by Fitzy »

Neverwinter Nights EE!!!

If there is a game in which I have put more hours, I am uncertain what it is. Details are still coming, but I hope the old mods still work, somehow. I suppose that's a long shot. Still, if they do a good job, this could be huge! Bigger than huge!

I suspect my imagination is running away from me and the actual announcement is going to greatly disappoint me, but I'm hoping this turns out to be good.

PS

This is for the Bioware Neverwinter Nights, the second NWN I think, not the really old one from AOL or the really new from somebody else. At least I'm assuming it's the Bioware one. :lol:

PPS

Looks like backward compatibility is in

Along with enhanced graphics options, though if they don't update the graphics I'm not sure what good this will do.
Skinypupy

Re: Neverwinter Nights EE!

Post by Skinypupy »

This article makes it sound rather...underwhelming.
It’s coming for the PC, and while the name might suggest a HD remake, the “enhancements” aren’t anywhere near that extensive, as this trailer shows

Basically, the enhancements are limited to a few pieces of UI and the menu scaling properly up to 4K, and the addition of effects like depth-of-field, pixel shaders and post-processing.
Meh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

NWN was a pair of games that didn't grab me. I finished the first one and Im not sure if I did the second after multiple tries. Something about it just wasn't for me. I think it was the engine. It was ok just not memorable.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

NWN 2 and the expansions were good stories, I thought.

NWN the original campaign was rather meh, but the expansions were pretty good, especially the last.

What made NWN the best game EVER!!!! was the downloadable mods. There was some pretty incredible content released considering it was mostly made by amateurs and a single designer. The toolset was simply amazing.

Whether or not this is a good EE will depend entirely on what :
Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.
means and who the community they are working with is.

This could be great or it could be bleh. Though having a UI expandable to modern monitors would be nice. I'm not sure it's $20 nice.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

If they include all of the premium modules (especially Infinite Dungeons) it'll be a first day purchase of multiple copies for me.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I tried the EE version of Bioshock 1 and it didn't look much different and there were problems, so I uninstalled it and went with the original.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

dobberhd wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 pm If they include all of the premium modules (especially Infinite Dungeons) it'll be a first day purchase of multiple copies for me.
They're selling three of the premium modules, including infinite Dungeons, at release. Bad decision in my opinion, but that might be why I don't own a gaming company :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The base game includes Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, Kingmaker, ShadowGuard, and Witch’s Wake for $20. The Digital Deluxe version adds Pirates of the Sword Coast, Infinite Dungeons, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, soundtracks and a portrait pack for $40 total.

According to the FAQ:
Will my existing modules and saves work in NWN:EE?

Yes, existing modules and saves will continue to work in NWN:EE.

Will I retain ownership of the premium modules I purchased from BioWare?

If you already have the premium modules (Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, Pirates of the Sword Coast, or Infinite Dungeons), they will function properly in Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.
I did buy Infinite Dungeons back in the day, but I have no idea if I still have a copy of the download anymore or if it can still be downloaded from Bioware (I'm guessing not).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Since everything got shutdown the premium mods are all on neverwinter vault and there's an offline authenticator there too
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This sounds like a slightly improved Diamond Edition. I played it two years ago and it held up considerably well. I don't really see that this adds all that much, given that there was a UI mod that scaled up the UI to modern resolutions.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:32 pm This sounds like a slightly improved Diamond Edition. I played it two years ago and it held up considerably well. I don't really see that this adds all that much, given that there was a UI mod that scaled up the UI to modern resolutions.
That pretty much applies to all of the Bioware games that Beamdog has released as enhanced editions. For some people, it's more attractive to buy a modernized version of a game than tracking down mods to get the classic version running properly on current hardware. It seems to be a large enough market for Beamdog to continue updating additional titles.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Right, but this one seems even less of an incentive. With their other games such as Baldur's Gate, it seemed more work went into them to make them more than just a rescale. The effects were updated too, I'm guessing? This update looks to me to be more straightforward.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Beamdog has started up a weekly Twitch schedule: 1230 MT on Fridays. Today's stream was focused on NWN:EE Q&A, including Infinite Dungeons gameplay.

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

It is released.

I bought it. Again.

Third time I think. Oh well.

It's probably my favorite game and I'm looking forward to what Beamdog and the community does with it. I'm hopeful some of the single player mod makers come back and this isn't limited to a persistent world comeback.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I haven't read the article, so if it is addressed, I apologize for bringing it up, but I wish they would make classes backwards compatible. Like, I *love* the warlock class from NWN 2, and I wish they would allow a playthrough with that class.

I will most likely be getting this one, but with my re-emerging interest in DDO, and especially with BattleTech coming out in three weeks, it'll be for the back burner.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished the first two games as I recall but not the third. There just something about the graphics engine I do not like.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm I finished the first two games as I recall but not the third. There just something about the graphics engine I do not like.
There wasn't a third. Just expansions for the first two, then the MMO (which was entirely different).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Hyena wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:41 pm I haven't read the article, so if it is addressed, I apologize for bringing it up, but I wish they would make classes backwards compatible. Like, I *love* the warlock class from NWN 2, and I wish they would allow a playthrough with that class.

I will most likely be getting this one, but with my re-emerging interest in DDO, and especially with BattleTech coming out in three weeks, it'll be for the back burner.
There's a Warlock in the PRC

I don't know if it's close enough to the 2nd version to meet your needs though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 pm NWN was a pair of games that didn't grab me. I finished the first one and Im not sure if I did the second after multiple tries. Something about it just wasn't for me. I think it was the engine. It was ok just not memorable.
This is what I said last year or so. I know I finished the first game but not the 2nd as far as I recall. But Im throwing all kinds of stuff at my PC screen and seeing if anything sticks. I notice in my GOG library that I own the diamond edition. I recall back in the day I wanted the diamond edition but I dont remember why I wanted it as by then I had played through the first game.

If I install this..which Im about to right now is there anything I need to know? Anything I should install with it? Any mods that I must install to make it better some way? graphics or updates? Anything?
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Not really. NWN mods don’t work like Elder Scrolls.They are mostly standalone adventures. There are few overrides, but unless something has changed, they can cause issues. You’d have to look on the Vault for overrides. Otherwise most mods are either adventures or building blocks for other mods. In order to use them in the official campaigns you’d have to add them yourself and recompile in the toolset. If even that would work.

There’s dozens of modules that are great to play on their own, but they are so diverse it’s hard to recommend anything without knowing what you want to play.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok. Ill just try it normal and see if it clicks. I dont think it will anyways
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:33 am I notice in my GOG library that I own the diamond edition.
Heh, they gave this away for free sometime ago. I remember being excited to finally give it a try... and still haven't.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

In my opinion, that game has not aged well at all. I tried to play through one of the expansion campaigns (something about you're a wizard's apprentice in a small village that gets attacked by [insert mook type here], which I guess describes about half of all D&D games), and got about halfway through it before just giving it up. The main thing I dislike is the mechanism where you can only take one party member with you, and can't actually control their actions. It's a substantial deviation from the standard "Baldur's Gate" formula, making the game more like Diablo than D&D. Except the loot is complete crap for the most part. Unless you're really into the NWN storyline with the plague and lizardmen and the elf paladin who orders you around, I'd take a pass.

On the plus side, load times are instantaneous given the game's age.

I'd just go replay NWN2 instead if you've got it. And its expansions. All of them. They're all good.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The campaign about the plague and the elf paladin didn't hold up when it was brand new (it's the campaign that shipped with the game.) That thing was absolutely awful. The expansions were much better.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:53 am The campaign about the plague and the elf paladin didn't hold up when it was brand new (it's the campaign that shipped with the game.) That thing was absolutely awful. The expansions were much better.
True, the writing in the expansions was better, but they're still limited by the underlying gameplay mechanisms.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

It’s probably my most played game, though it’s possible one of the Civs comes close (all together they would far surpass NWN).

The only complaint I have about the engine limitations is the lack of control over companions. The offical campaigns limit you by number as well. From what I understand, they expected it to be a multi-player game.

There are mods that tell incredible stories with great characters and that has always been my biggest joy in RPGs. I used to have my mod folder filled with mods.

I’m crossing my fingers that the EE brings single player mod makers back, but at that the moment it looks like most of the revival is happening in persistent worlds. SP mods will take longer, but I haven’t seen much in the way of announcements beyond a few of the bigger mod makers updating their old work.