Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

Post by tgb »

I'm OK with whatever you guys want to do.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I put the file in my saved games folder and tried to "Continue the Game" and it just crashed and gave me an error in Swedish (basically it said "a hurni hurni turna crasha der computa" and threw a fish at me).

But it looks like my error was less dramatic than others.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I...I didn't get a fish. :(
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Lets all recreate pretenders and restart.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm Lets all recreate pretenders and restart.
This sounds like the best option.

Plus we can take advantage of all that we learned from this game to make adjustments! (haha)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Do the disciples need to be created again or just the main pretenders?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:29 am Do the disciples need to be created again or just the main pretenders?
The disciples too I think. After all, it was a disciple that triggered the "cheating - pretender not valid" message.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The last patch could have tweaked creation rules.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
tgb

Post by tgb »

Disciple sent in again.......and a response saying the game already started.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe we wait a bit to do MP and see what shakes out?

I also could not see my team, did not have blessings or scales to match my pretender, and showed everyone as worshipping their disciple. I just assumed my memory for the game was off or things had changed. I'm not an expert so I thought I would silently accept what the game was telling me.

Also I was playing yesterday and started getting out of memory errors with that same strange characters all of the time. (Note I play on enormous maps with all of the pretenders. I like to feel like the game is of an epic scale)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

tgb wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:20 am Disciple sent in again.......and a response saying the game already started.
We will need to create a new game before anyone reuploads.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I will delete this game, and then create a new game when I get home tonight. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Game is reset, and I deleted all the pretenders. So please upload them back to the server, after you recreate them. I deleted mine and recreated it.
Same results as the last time, so no points difference for Ys, but let's do a good test and recreate them. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Take 2
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Sorry for the delay. Pretender remade and resent.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Submitted.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I started it, but it looks like there are still issues. I am going to email Llamma server creater and see what he has to say.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sceleria has cheated again! You can't trust anybody. :p I still don't think I'm on a team.

In Steam, can I load the game on two different machines? If the answer is yes, I can spend some time (when I have it) trying to figure out how to get a server going.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, just run the game directly from the Dom5.exe to run on a different machine.

My ISP does not allow me to have direct connects, so unless we can get the VPN's to work, I can't host with this ISP.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Then I will troubleshoot my game as server and let you know if I can figure out what the problem is... After I download the game to a slow as molasses laptop...
Last edited by LordMortis on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was emailed a first turn file, downloaded it, tried to start a game and got an error message saying "not a Dominions file".

If I wanted to put this much work into playing a game I'd still be on my 286 making boot discs.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Having no problems serving from one internet IP to another in my house. Of course my machines are with the same ISP on the same subnet. Anyone want to try and connect? I will send my IP by PM. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to publishing "He come find my machine!"
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm game.
T

Post by T »

Could it be that we are 3 teams? Maybe it doesn't like that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Woot! Freyland had no problem connecting. I can serve. I will send IP and port by PM.

Does this mean we want to do a co-op game first to get our feet wet?

Y'all were interested in Middle Age, so I'll set MA all defaults except disciples game with East/West Wrap Around.

If there are 9 of us, that leaves 22 computer spots available. 9 on 22? 9 on 11 on 11? 9 on 9?

Then it's a matter of setting aside nine races and choosing who is pretender.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Worked here.

I think a team game to get everyone rolling would be wise, but I bow to the judgement of the group.
T

Post by T »

I vote for a team game too.
T

Post by T »

Also, I successfully connected to your server.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For the sake of expediency, I'll be the pretender.

I chose the first race, ascroposomething and this imprisoned pretender

Enlarge Image

I still have freyland as the Machaka but I think I can wipe that if you don't to be them.... And to test it, I did. :oops: and couldn't bring it back. :oops: :oops:
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Is that drain of three I see? Oh my.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's magic bonus of three. No negatives. I probably could have taken luck instead of magic. I can rework it. It looks like the math works best with 11 plus scales total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was able to connect. Now what?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unless there are any objections we'll play as a single team of nine players against one or more computer teams. You choose a race and disciple in the middle ages. One that goes well with my pretender if you so choose, though I don't think it matters much. Connect to my server, choose the open disciple slot and input your disciple. Ideally you post who you took here so the other players know not to choose that race.

The only thing that remains to be seen is how many computer players and how many computer teams.

The default for the game was six level game thrones and a team has to collect all six to win.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I was able to connect to your server.

I'm fine with whatever we want to play (coop is good).

Probably want more than the default thrones though, unless we want a really short game. Run the risk if it's too low that bad luck could put enough of them closer to AI's that AI's take them and wipe us before we have a chance.

For people who want to play nations with + heat/cold scales, this is neutral so you will suffer some penalties, but w all the order, productivity and growth, you will still likely end up at least break even and ahead in some categories that you took a penalty in (income for example).

FYI 1 - since this pretender is dormant, our disciples will not be available until about 2 years into the game.
FYI 2 - if your nation of choice does not have a priest w/ 3 (or higher) holy - either recruitable or summonable, you may want to seriously consider a disciple body that is mobile so you can use it to claim thrones.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Connected. Super easy. Create a disciple, then switch over to multiplayer. Add in the Mortis IP, then the port, then choose a nation.

I chose Ulm. Armor's Up!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Bandar Log taken (again)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:50 am I was able to connect to your server.

I'm fine with whatever we want to play (coop is good).

Probably want more than the default thrones though, unless we want a really short game. Run the risk if it's too low that bad luck could put enough of them closer to AI's that AI's take them and wipe us before we have a chance.

For people who want to play nations with + heat/cold scales, this is neutral so you will suffer some penalties, but w all the order, productivity and growth, you will still likely end up at least break even and ahead in some categories that you took a penalty in (income for example).

FYI 1 - since this pretender is dormant, our disciples will not be available until about 2 years into the game.
FYI 2 - if your nation of choice does not have a priest w/ 3 (or higher) holy - either recruitable or summonable, you may want to seriously consider a disciple body that is mobile so you can use it to claim thrones.
I didn't realize my pretender affected all disciples. I hope that's not a problem. I just wanted the most scales and blessings I could reasonably pass to everyone else.

Recommendations for thrones?

Recommendations on the enemy? I think enough of us are new enough that I plan to make the AI at normal. 9 on 9? 9 on 18? 9 on 22? 9 on 9 on 9? Something else?

6 of us have joined, so there is still time to weigh in.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Did I get in ok? I connected fine and submitted my Pretender for R'lyeh. It was super easy!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Sorry all, was away on a quick getaway with the wife. Back now. So same teams, and everything, or are we doing one big team?

I'll still play Ys if that is cool.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think we're doing co-op. One big team. Not sure how we do the others

I show

Acro
Ulm
Marignon
Marchaka
Bander
R'liegh
Ys

That leaves Zenn7 and T by my counting.

How does 8-4-2 for a total of 14 thrones sound? More? Less? Different?

I'm inclined to make is 9 against 22 normal unless there are objections. I'll use random.org to choose their pretender (again unless their suggestions) and let you know the results when we start.

RMC, if I let clients start the game can they end the turn to advance us? While I don't want the pressure of having to check in, I really liked that feature in Dom 4.