Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

Post by Zenn7 »

WOW... shit got real this turn. Abyssia and Jotenheim attacking me while working C'tis.

Since C'tis moved a bunch of their army out of their capital, going there. Sending reinforcements to largish Ctis army next to the capital so they can join the capital sieging forces next turn.

Just waiting for Caelium to join in now.

Oh... and the world is going to be a very dark place soon... (total night in 8 months thanks to the throne of darkness I claimed).

RMC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:28 pm New Turn is up. Sorry I was holding it up.

I lost again, to a bunch of hero's. I have some really powerful units, but they cost so much to get on the field it is not even funny..
Those heroes are seriously tough! I'd leave them alone for a while, come back when you have overwhelming army backed w/ good magic slinging mages or something (or build up your own uber units with crafted gear).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:55 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 am
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:02 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:55 am
baelthazar wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm The siege of Pythium goes well as my tentacled brethren tear down the heretic's walls. They are severely damaged an likely to fall within a turn or so. I hope that I have enough troops to take out the defenders. As Pythium owns no other provinces, this should put them down (and they are one of the pretenders, right).
I have reinforcements coming just in case.
As for who's going in - whoever is sieging is the only one who gets a choice in the matter. Don't think it's the largest army, it's whoever starts the siege, but not 100% positive about that. Once the walls are down you have to use a specific storm the castle command. So it will only be the sieger. If he loses, the other player's army will start a siege automatically next turn (might even be able to storm as the walls might be considered down still).

If you wait does the breach get bigger?
I do not believe so. If you both have largish armies there though, you need to watch to make sure they are not starving or you'll get diseased which will screw up and eventually kill your units.
Read the manual - sieging army is recalculated every turn based on who has the larger force (not sure how it defines larger - most units, most siege ability, most supplies used.... some other value).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm attacking this turn. We'll see what happens.

Edit.

I checked the fortification and the walls have "300" strength left. Should I move somewhere else? My troops seem to be wasted "Defending" here and they are the bulk of my army.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looks like the server might be down? I was downloading the map after connecting from a different location, and it stopped part way through. Now it's hanging trying to reconnect to the server.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:10 pm Looks like the server might be down? I was downloading the map after connecting from a different location, and it stopped part way through. Now it's hanging trying to reconnect to the server.
Sorry machine updated and rebooted. We're back up
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

No worries... just making sure I didn't break something.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:25 pm I'm attacking this turn. We'll see what happens.

Edit.

I checked the fortification and the walls have "300" strength left. Should I move somewhere else? My troops seem to be wasted "Defending" here and they are the bulk of my army.
If there are 2 of you there, one of you should probably leave and do something more productive.

Regarding 300 strength - I don't believe we can see the actual strength remaining, I think that's the original strength. All we can see is what we see in the messages (moderately damaged, severely, critically... or when you are doing badly... walls are being repaired faster than you can damage them).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Then I am moving and preparing for whatever it is Uruk has waiting to unleash on me. I don't think I can influence beal's dominance and Pythium can't do anything while he's camped there.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm WOW... shit got real this turn. Abyssia and Jotenheim attacking me while working C'tis.
If T and I can finish off Asphodel, or at least get them pinned down, I'm planning on sending the next army I'm building in my capital down to fight Abysia. The only downside is I'm mostly fire magic, so my mages are going to be nearly useless against Abysia, but I'm hoping my knights will be able to deal with their heavy infantry.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:25 pm I'm attacking this turn. We'll see what happens.

Edit.

The fortifications fell at Pythium. I went ahead and clicked "Storm the Castle." If you have the option, I would do it too (the dialog box says I have 54 allied units sieging the castle with me).

EDIT: Sorry... just saw the previous conversation. I did not mean to steal your thunder here at Pythium, LM. If you cannot add to the siege, then move up to take on Uruk. It might be a good strategic move to transfer the Pythium province to you, once we are done, to bolster your income and forces. I have a decent fort south of Pythium already (to get me hybrids) and some fairly high income sea provinces. Let me know what you think.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Edit.

The fortifications fell at Pythium. I went ahead and clicked "Storm the Castle." If you have the option, I would do it too (the dialog box says I have 54 allied units sieging the castle with me).

EDIT: Sorry... just saw the previous conversation. I did not mean to steal your thunder here at Pythium, LM. If you cannot add to the siege, then move up to take on Uruk. It might be a good strategic move to transfer the Pythium province to you, once we are done, to bolster your income and forces. I have a decent fort south of Pythium already (to get me hybrids) and some fairly high income sea provinces. Let me know what you think.
I'm building a fort just north of Pythium. I'll be fine... Or I'll scream like banshee. One or the other.

You could you use a nice land based operation.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm not in front of my home computer right now to confirm, but if Asphodel is the race with some giants SW of Machaka, my main army is advancing on them as well, while I guerrilla warfare Ctis.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Freyland wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm I'm not in front of my home computer right now to confirm, but if Asphodel is the race with some giants SW of Machaka, my main army is advancing on them as well, while I guerrilla warfare Ctis.
Asphodel is the manikins (undead plants), and lot of Pangea units (satyrs, centaurs, minotaur, panii, etc).

Think you have Ashdod to the SW (they're giants).

I'm playing a single player game of what we were trying to do on Llama server before in our 3 teams (same teams, obviously no idea what sort of pretender setup you were going w/ so left those all to random other than my Ashdod). My strategy is fairly good against the computer except they have MASSIVE armies. Being attacked by 200-300+ armies 2+ times per turn as well 2-6+ smaller attacks. I'm fighting back but 20-30 kick ass giants still get overwhelmed by 300+ units (even if 1/2 or more are crap units). I might take 100 or more out with me, but they still win. Getting some globals into play there now though. See if that helps some.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Building a Palisades and Temple in the mountains to my west by Marginon.
Sepiche - any plans to take out the barbarians in the Worldsteeth Mountains (264)? It's 2 territories away from your capital, so it's worth more to you than me.

Turning my main army north against Pangea. Another few turns and I'll have a second army to nibble away at Eriu and fill over to Bandor Log.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Friendly courtesy notice - TGB, new turn is up.

Machaka - you'd asked earlier about your turn showing as unfinished, I see that currently and have on several previous turns. Guessing as long as you are seeing your stuff being done it's good enough, but that is an odd thing. Only see that for you.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Right, there is an option to "save and Mark turn unfinished" which is what I end up doing if I get pulled away. My hope is that the turn doesn't process when everyone else turn is in; thus far that hope has born true.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Oh, sorry, thought you had said earlier in the thread that came up and you were actually done (like bug/glitch). Glad to know it's not a bug. :)

I do not know for sure, but I would think it should not process until you submit unless LM forces it to (or the game updates which seems to force a turn to process if I read that right earlier in the thread). Barring some exceptional circumstance, don't see LM forcing it to go while your turn is incomplete.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:24 pm I do not know for sure, but I would think it should not process until you submit unless LM forces it to (or the game updates which seems to force a turn to process if I read that right earlier in the thread). Barring some exceptional circumstance, don't see LM forcing it to go while your turn is incomplete.
I have the option to force or a host or set timing to force a host. I see no reason to ever to do this. We all committed to a casual game, which was a precursor for me to play. During a typical work weekday, I will check exactly once a day, so I'm comfortable with the idea that someone may get stuck AFK for 2 days at a time, especially over the holidays (where I am unusually more available)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:49 pm Sepiche - any plans to take out the barbarians in the Worldsteeth Mountains (264)? It's 2 territories away from your capital, so it's worth more to you than me.
I probably won't have the forces to spare for that for a bit, so if you've got troops in place feel free to take 264.

If your army is strong enough to steamroll the throne next to my capital I'd love some help taking that. I could use the money, but I've been sending all my fresh forces to the front.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

For some reason Eriu's god was hanging out at Asphodel's capital, so after I defeated the defending army, I killed their god too. :P

I should have the walls of their capital down next turn, and I don't think there's much of a garrison, so hopefully I'll have it in a couple of turns.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The attack on Pythium was a bust. I killed half their forces, but was unable to finish the job or even get through the breach to their pretender. My forces in that area are in disarray, so LordMortis, it will have to be you until I can get my forces rearranged.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Started the siege of Ctis's capital. Reinforcements joining next turn. Expecting the walls to be breached the turn after. Hoping this will cripple Ctis w/ no income. Really need to get rid of these guys so I can focus on Abyssia, Calium and Jotunhiem in the north.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Managed to isolate Ashdod from it's provinces. Should make for a lovely financial hit. :twisted:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:25 am The attack on Pythium was a bust. I killed half their forces, but was unable to finish the job or even get through the breach to their pretender. My forces in that area are in disarray, so LordMortis, it will have to be you until I can get my forces rearranged.
No es bueuno. You were stronger than I am and I have no range strikers. I'm going to hold to head back to keep him under siege but wait until I have more forces I'm currently going back for more blessed troops (legionnaires of some sort), whom are the mainstay of my army. I just hope Uruk doesn't get brave in my absence.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Just a heads up that my home show is next weekend, which means that Wed-Sun my ability to get turns in will be spotty, at best.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:12 pm Just a heads up that my home show is next weekend, which means that Wed-Sun my ability to get turns in will be spotty, at best.
Just FYI, you are up right now.

Hope the home show goes well. I assume you are selling homes?
tgb

Post by tgb »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Hope the home show goes well. I assume you are selling homes?
Thanks. I have one more thn end of the month then I'm out of the home show business (for good, I hope).
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Siege of Ctis is over... I didn't really want a southern army anyway. (OWWW.....)

Hope the war in the north goes better than that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pythium's walls are still breached but I think it will be three more turns before reinforcements arrive and then y'all can wish me the best. I have a fort up, so life is good there.

And luck to tgb on the idea of retirement. I envy you.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:11 am Pythium's walls are still breached but I think it will be three more turns before reinforcements arrive and then y'all can wish me the best. I have a fort up, so life is good there.

I regrouped and could strike again. I managed to kill half of his troops the first time and lost mostly due to morale failure. If he has not been able to build more units, then it might work. At the very least, I could weaken him more for you.

TGB, good luck then! I am also going through a major career transition (leaving college faculty to go into admin) and a move, so I understand the feeling!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:11 am Pythium's walls are still breached but I think it will be three more turns before reinforcements arrive and then y'all can wish me the best. I have a fort up, so life is good there.

I regrouped and could strike again. I managed to kill half of his troops the first time and lost mostly due to morale failure. If he has not been able to build more units, then it might work. At the very least, I could weaken him more for you.

TGB, good luck then! I am also going through a major career transition (leaving college faculty to go into admin) and a move, so I understand the feeling!
You are welcome to come in and try. If you can are stronger, I would guess you'd theortectically know it and be able to siege the castle. I'm happy either way just to be rid of him so I can work somewhere else. I just started moving reinforcements down from my home position and they move one square at a time, so if you think you could take him in two turns, that would accelerate both our options. I'll hold the fort until re-enforcements arrive or you take it first. Either way is good for me. Having my forces meet up seems to be necessary when I look around me provinces.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Asphodel is close to being gone. Seized their capital with some losses and they only have a few scattered provinces left. T and I should have a semi-secure border soon which should free up some troops to help out elsewhere.

I'll probably need a few turns to consolidate and build up again, but I have a decent new army at my capital that should be prepared to move out shortly.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:27 pm You are welcome to come in and try. If you can are stronger, I would guess you'd theortectically know it and be able to siege the castle. I'm happy either way just to be rid of him so I can work somewhere else. I just started moving reinforcements down from my home position and they move one square at a time, so if you think you could take him in two turns, that would accelerate both our options. I'll hold the fort until re-enforcements arrive or you take it first. Either way is good for me. Having my forces meet up seems to be necessary when I look around me provinces.
Oddly, it let me select "Storm Castle" when I entered, even though I was set to "Defend" and it said you were besieging the city. I will give it a try - at the very least it will weaken them for you to finish them off. I am currently building up again, and have both Oceania and Xilbaba pushing toward me.

My pretender is still sleeping. Hopefully he will wake up soon!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

This turn was a little better. A few more good turns and maybe I can regain an army in the south.

Getting horrible luck events though.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I have started to initiate conflict in the seas. I am ticking off Xiz right now. :)

I have a good financial base, and can afford to churn out some good troops each turn. My main problem is fodder. I don't have a ton of fodder troops in the seas. I will eventually start using summons, but have to build up a good supply of gems for that, and I am working towards it.

Also, just got my Disciple, so my rainbow disciple with high research will help me achieve my goals faster as well. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm I will eventually start using summons, but have to build up a good supply of gems for that, and I am working towards it.
Thanks, forgot I had meant to get a couple summons this turn. :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dom5 mod inspector!

https://larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

You can go here and see details for any spell, unit, site, craftable item in the game. Like the Dom4 mod inspector. Most useful resource you will ever find for the game. :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TGB - new turn is up.

I know you said your turns would be spotty at best from here throughout the weekend, just a courtesy notice that you are up when you get a chance.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

New turn up.

Traded 4 provinces with my enemies. Think I came out slightly ahead in casualties inflicted overall.

Got a small force of heavy infantry/xbow to liberate my castle they are sieging.

And awesome news regarding Spittle's demise! Great job.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Just FYI, LordMortis and I vanquished the pretender from Pythium. I was personally satisfied to see a Great Otherness (which looks like a giant brown silly putty blob) crush the pile of bones that was his Demilich into a faint white dust.

What does that mean for Pythium's disciples? Does that severely hamper their dominion generation?