Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

Post by LordMortis »

tgb wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:32 pm Will get on it, although I wish there was a proper notification system.
Ditto, but something you should know in the absence of a notification system. If you are the last person to submit their turn for the turn, you can wait two or three minutes (or possibly less time than that) for the turn process and then just take another.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:32 pm Will get on it, although I wish there was a proper notification system.
Yeah, me too. But don't worry, we can ping you here. Not a problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Man, finally took a province, and then a special event assassinates my best guy. They routed, and were down to 1 HP, but poison and a final attack killed my leader. <sigh> They are not cheap either.

So building up and hope to attack again soon...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 pm Man, finally took a province, and then a special event assassinates my best guy. They routed, and were down to 1 HP, but poison and a final attack killed my leader. <sigh> They are not cheap either.

So building up and hope to attack again soon...
Need some gold to help w/ recruiting more of those?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Nah, I had over 1k gold. I can't spend enough. :)

Thanks for the offer though.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
T

Post by T »

Independent priests do not have the reanimate ability. I thought this was an ability of Sceleria. Any ideas why this is?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pythium is knocking at my door and my other direction is the cavalry that ate me alive. So here goes nothing.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Many thanks to Manchaka for the gift of 100 Quatloos.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

tgb wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:01 pm Many thanks to Manchaka for the gift of 100 Quatloos.
:handgestures-thumbupright:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

T wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm Independent priests do not have the reanimate ability. I thought this was an ability of Sceleria. Any ideas why this is?
That is not an ability of Sceleria, it is an ability of Scelerian priests (your faction specific peeps).

As long as you have non-capital only priests though, should be able to plop a fort and a temple and recruit more. Won't be able to go as nuts as you were hoping too, but still, more is more right?
T

Post by T »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 am
T wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm Independent priests do not have the reanimate ability. I thought this was an ability of Sceleria. Any ideas why this is?
That is not an ability of Sceleria, it is an ability of Scelerian priests (your faction specific peeps).

As long as you have non-capital only priests though, should be able to plop a fort and a temple and recruit more. Won't be able to go as nuts as you were hoping too, but still, more is more right?
I might be missing something, but according to this Dom4 video, non-Sceleria independent priests are able to reanimate. Skip ahead to about the 17 min in this video. Either they removed this from Sceleria, or it's a bug.

T

Post by T »

Ashodel has an army of 50 units starting to take my provinces. I have an army of about 60 that I decided to attack it with instead of having it take my provinces. Hopefully I can take it out. Ys and Marignon, you guys are relatively close by, maybe we can all rush them and take them out.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

My apologies T, you may be right. I did not see anything in your video about independent priests (didn't see any territories other than the capital that had a temple to get priests even).

But I had a dom 4 game with MA Ermor (the undead Ermor) saved, loaded that up, recruited some independent priests (a plain priest and some tribal or amazon priest or something). They all had the ability to reanimate. I would guess Sceleria would too then.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I'm back guys! I just processed the turn and then submitted my second turn. We should be good to go now.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

T wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 am

I might be missing something, but according to this Dom4 video, non-Sceleria independent priests are able to reanimate. Skip ahead to about the 17 min in this video. Either they removed this from Sceleria, or it's a bug.
I think (and could be wrong) that certain priests now have a "Reanimation" ability (that has its own rating that can be upped with artifacts). From my limited experimentation, only units with the reanimation ability (the icon looks like a hand grabbing a skull) can raise troops using divine ability. Some pretenders and summoned units have the ability as well. This is opposed to magic based reanimation, which comes in the enchant school.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

And on this new turn, with the expansion into 2 new territories, I have the resources to construct a temple to help spread our glorious lord's good name, dominion and eventual domination. (Which I can cancel and send out some cash if anyone needs any).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So, what happens if I take Pythium, who is a pretender? Especially as one of his disciples is on his flank right next to me?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Think in Dom4 at least, if you take out a pretender completely (you wipe out Pythium, not just take their capital or kill their god), the disciples can still fight, seems like they didn't usually do as well though. Could be misremembering.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think it depends on whether the AI will give up a territory to their team's Pretender.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
T

Post by T »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 pm My apologies T, you may be right. I did not see anything in your video about independent priests (didn't see any territories other than the capital that had a temple to get priests even).

But I had a dom 4 game with MA Ermor (the undead Ermor) saved, loaded that up, recruited some independent priests (a plain priest and some tribal or amazon priest or something). They all had the ability to reanimate. I would guess Sceleria would too then.
No problem. Thanks for checking the save game. It is mentioned at about the 17 min mark of the video, he checks a couple of provinces he just captured and there are independent priest, which he says he will use to reanimate. This is a big nerf to Sceleria. Oh well. I'll just have to make the best of it.

And thanks for the information baelthazar.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got home and the game updated to 5.0.9 and I had to restart the server. When I did, the game progress to the next turn, so I hope everyone got their last turn in.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Also weird is that some people now seem to follow S/He who walks before, though I can still see those that switched that were on our team. :?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:09 pm Also weird is that some people now seem to follow S/He who walks before, though I can still see those that switched that were on our team. :?
Weird... I just did my turn and it looks like all the allies are together still (at least the dominions are lit up).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

T wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 pm My apologies T, you may be right. I did not see anything in your video about independent priests (didn't see any territories other than the capital that had a temple to get priests even).

No problem. Thanks for checking the save game. It is mentioned at about the 17 min mark of the video, he checks a couple of provinces he just captured and there are independent priest, which he says he will use to reanimate. This is a big nerf to Sceleria. Oh well. I'll just have to make the best of it.

And thanks for the information baelthazar.
That was why I didn't see it. I was literally just watching, not listening, didn't have headphones on.

And this turn sucked! Giant army of Mandgrosa/mankins from a decent sized population. BOO....
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We're not waiting on you Freyland but in case you were didn't know, my server says "Manchaka has played it's turned but is marked as unfinished."
T

Post by T »

I'm (Sceleria) getting attacked by 2 AIs and could use some help please. I don't really like that they don't put the teams on the same side of the map.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am worried I am going to get my home province attacked. I moved troops back to defend it, but not sure they will be enough to deter the AI.

We shall see... I got a slow start, and am just learning now how to play this nation. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

T wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:23 pm I'm (Sceleria) getting attacked by 2 AIs and could use some help please. I don't really like that they don't put the teams on the same side of the map.
That is an option but it is not a default. (Clustered Starts, I think they call it) I can turn it on for the next game if people so desire.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:01 pm We're not waiting on you Freyland but in case you were didn't know, my server says "Manchaka has played it's turned but is marked as unfinished."
The Machaka household is having issues and I had to quit out. I'm glad I'm not holding things up though!

T, would money help or is that not so much the limiting factor? I'm not rich but I don't have the resources and recruitment points to spend all my quatloos.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
T

Post by T »

Thanks, but money is not the issue. I only have one castle and all of my provinces have crap troops, so I can only recruit so much. The green AI next to me has a lot of troops. I think the map is a little small too, we're right on top of the AI. I couldn't even finish expanding before being invaded.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Which symbol are you again? Ulm is close to fielding two basic armies, but I think I'm far away.

Have you been trying to hire mercenaries? They might fill in the gap.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

T wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm Thanks, but money is not the issue. I only have one castle and all of my provinces have crap troops, so I can only recruit so much. The green AI next to me has a lot of troops. I think the map is a little small too, we're right on top of the AI. I couldn't even finish expanding before being invaded.
Amen to that. I just went with the defaults. We can change it up next time.
T

Post by T »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:45 pm
T wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm Thanks, but money is not the issue. I only have one castle and all of my provinces have crap troops, so I can only recruit so much. The green AI next to me has a lot of troops. I think the map is a little small too, we're right on top of the AI. I couldn't even finish expanding before being invaded.
Amen to that. I just went with the defaults. We can change it up next time.
No problem, I wasn't being critical. When I created an AI game I had no idea how big to make the map.

Zarathud, I am a light purple color. Good point about mercenaries, I always forget about them. Still, who's ever in the neighborhood please send armies towards the AI if you can.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm just to your east, and I'll try to make my way that direction, but it looks like we also have Pangaea between us I might have to punch through.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm on the other side of Sepiche. I'll fill west to secure the common border, then see if I can link up east to tgb.

Overbid for the mercenaries, then throw them into the meat grinder.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 am I'm on the other side of Sepiche. I'll fill west to secure the common border, then see if I can link up east to tgb.

Overbid for the mercenaries, then throw them into the meat grinder.
Man, the AI is paying a ton for mercenaries. I tried to pay double for them and still did not win them. Build a fortress instead. But have the enemy on my doorsteps, so I am going to be pushing back against him soon.
T

Post by T »

Thanks guys.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The thrones are protected by an inordinate amount of troops. I have one next to me that has 500 defenders! Another right next to my capital has over 200.

Nazca is coming to defend Pythium with a large stack of undead. Or they are at least tooling around the general area. I was going to come up and help with a strike on Pythium, but they would likely cut me off.

Are people leaning towards starting up a second game (while continuing to play the first one) with new settings? For me, processing two turns is just as easy as processing one when I sit down to do it.
RMC

Post by RMC »

baelthazar wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:22 am The thrones are protected by an inordinate amount of troops. I have one next to me that has 500 defenders! Another right next to my capital has over 200.

Nazca is coming to defend Pythium with a large stack of undead. Or they are at least tooling around the general area. I was going to come up and help with a strike on Pythium, but they would likely cut me off.

Are people leaning towards starting up a second game (while continuing to play the first one) with new settings? For me, processing two turns is just as easy as processing one when I sit down to do it.
I am all in for a second game. We could even use Llamma Server if need be.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just picked this up, so sing out if there's another game!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.