Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 pm Sorry all, was away on a quick getaway with the wife. Back now. So same teams, and everything, or are we doing one big team?

I'll still play Ys if that is cool.
Think we switched back to a coop vs AI game on LordMortis's server.
LordMortis wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:12 am I didn't realize my pretender affected all disciples. I hope that's not a problem. I just wanted the most scales and blessings I could reasonably pass to everyone else.

Recommendations for thrones?

Recommendations on the enemy? I think enough of us are new enough that I plan to make the AI at normal. 9 on 9? 9 on 18? 9 on 22? 9 on 9 on 9? Something else?

6 of us have joined, so there is still time to weigh in.
Yep, you are the one become a god, we are your servants and benefitting from your blessings (literally your blessings you set up and your domain). All we get to choose is our faction, disciple's body and the schools of magic we want to invest in for our disciple. When we wake up is based on when you wake up (we wake up sooner than you if you don't start awake).

As for you scales/blessing, what you chose is fine. No particularly strong blessings, but several minor benefits and very strong scales. Good for newer players, easy benefits thought don't require extra thought to figure out how to really take advantage of them.

AI: if we are doing 2 AI teams, they will fight each other, might make them difficult instead of normal (just 1 up), or at least make some of them difficult (particularly their pretenders, not sure, but hoping that might cause them to make a more powerful blessing/scales, will help the disciples indirectly). Lot of new people, but lot of experienced players and we can help each other out (the AI will not help its teammates out so much). Also, some of the nations that be used are going to suck (Ermor, whatever the plant undead (Asphodol??) is) because of their unique format.

If we are fighting one large AI team, normal is good (we will have a LOT of enemies to fight!)

Think 9 vs 11 vs 11 (but I like epic games too :)

Thrones - at least enough to have 1 point for every player (more doesn't hurt). Set the victory points to be over 50%, but not more than 65-70% of total throne points. Want to require more than 1/2 to win, but think I read that not more than 2/3rds (66.666%) or the point of ending sooner with the thrones gets lost.

That's my $.02 anyhow.

I will get my disciple later today. Switching away from Ashdod, to the pale ones/cave people (forget their name) - though if anyone wants them, that's fine, I'm not set on any faction and have others I'd be happy to play.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

OK then, how about

9 v 11 vs 11 on difficult (one up from normal) If that's the case I don't recommend more than two sea players. Pretenders to be chose randomly sides to be chose randomly. I'll screenie the sides. I'm not sure who all are sea provinces but I will try to break them up evenly. I think that will Xibala down?

20 thrones 50% to win. 12 level 1. 6 level 2. 2 level 3. 30 points total 15 points is victory.

Again, I'll go with what people want up until Zenn7 and T have placed their disciples.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Looks good to me, and with Coop games, it is helpful to support one another, so no worries. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know if it matters but T (Scelaria) is a different color than everyone else. Cursory google search reveals nothing. Everyone else is a pale purple and T is a strong pink. Different version maybe (I'm running 5.06 autoupdated from Steam)? It doesn't look like it will stop the game from running, so *shrug*.
T

Post by T »

I've been on 5.06 on Steam since Thursday.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Sorry, submitted now.

Washing machine broke and work not going well (how fortunate, I only work M-F... <sigh>)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No pressure as far as I'm concerned.

T turned purple. Weird.

Anyhoo, here we go... Off to random.org, a screen capture, then start....

Wouldn't let me take a print screen. In full screen mode for reasons I don't understand it takes a picture of my desktop and I can't leave full screen mode without canceling.

So

2 Pretender
3 Pretender

Edit:

I thought I turned north south wrap off. I guess not.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In all my random maps, N/S wrap was off by default, so if you clicked on it, you turned it on. E/W wrap is on by default.

But I see our world is up and I put my turn 1 in - boldly (and blindly) striking out into this 1 territory we have dominion in next to me (a good way to lose your starting army if you are unlucky).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 am But I see our world is up and I put my turn 1 in - boldly (and blindly) striking out into this 1 territory we have dominion in next to me (a good way to lose your starting army if you are unlucky).
You are way braver than I am.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yea. Ulm barely has enough troops for a last stand, let alone an assault.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

But I'm relying on you to protect me!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Turn submitted.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

How do we know when it's time for a new turn?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't think you can get an alert. It just bumps when the last person submits their turn. It worked pretty well for the few games I played in Dom 4 on RMCs server. I can set a "host timer" but I don't want to pressure people. 24 hours doesn't seem fair if someone only checks once a day. How does 36 or 48 hours sound? I hate to experiment too much.

I also wanted to make sure my "server" behaves itself while I am work. I'd hate for some sort of hidden powersaver mode to shut down the network while I'm sleeping or working or heaven forbid, I leave my house some day for something other work or errands.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Freyland wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:38 pm How do we know when it's time for a new turn?
Easiest way is for whoever puts in the last orders for a turn to post here and let everyone know, but there were also scripts for previous Dom games that would email users when a turn comes up. Not sure how easy that would be to get running though.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Just waiting for Bandar Log. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LordMortis wrote:But I'm relying on you to protect me!
When you awaken, we'll be ready. Until then, you have no say.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
tgb

Post by tgb »

RMC wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:31 pm Just waiting for Bandar Log. :)
Sorry. I guess this is the notification I was waiting for. But judging by the speed at which the map is downloading it may still be another couple of days.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

How do I save my turn? The only way out is to either quit without saving or quit and flag the turn as "unfinished". Also, is it going to take 20 minutes to download the map every turn?

If so, I'm out.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It should not take 20 minutes to load the map as far as I know and you end your turn with the end turn icon in the upper right, just like do in a normal game.
RMC

Post by RMC »

tgb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 pm How do I save my turn? The only way out is to either quit without saving or quit and flag the turn as "unfinished". Also, is it going to take 20 minutes to download the map every turn?

If so, I'm out.
Nope, only need to download once. :)

And like was said, just click on end turn, and it should process the turns and then you can log back in for turn 2. :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

Got it. Senior moment.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I thought downloading took longer than usual when we were doing RMC's but that could be - bigger map? Dom 4 vs Dom 5? connection? more players?

On the plus side, it didn't time out (after that long, RMC's usually timed out and I had to do it again, though it picked up where it left off).

We usually just checked and either last person to go would post or someone would see we were on a new turn and post (some of us check as 1-2 times/day just to be safe, for me at least, because I can't always check in the morning, so I don't want to make everyone wait up to 24 hours longer b4 I get back to it).

One request - if you know you are not going to be able to take a turn in the next 48 (out of town, issues, whatever), if you can post in here so we all know, that is greatly appreciated by the rest of us. Not a requirement, just a courtesy. And obviously we fully understand emergencies or situations where you just can't get on the internet at all to post or whatever.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

tgb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:05 pm Got it. Senior moment.
60+ it's a senior moment.

40+ is junior moment? 20+ Sophomore, <20 Freshmen? :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Woot, won my blind strike!

For starting troops, mine were moderately decent. Which was good, the force I hit was not too tough, but they were not that weak either (for the starting neutral stuff you can run into). Did enough damage to me that I'm going home to get more troops (and pick up the 1 retreater who survived).

Blind first turn strikes are highly dependent on your starting force and blind luck. If you have crappy starting troops, don't bother. If you have semi-decent ones, you've got a decent shot. If you have really good ones, you have a very good shot. I'd say on the whole, I hit probably about 30-40% good success (the result this time, didn't cripple my starting army, though not enough left to go forward w/o reinforcements), 20-30% success but cripples my starting army (I have to spend a couple turns rebuilding before I can hope to strike again) and rest of the time, I lose (losing REALLY SUCKS).

As my reward though, I now have 86 G more income and the resources in my capital one turn earlier than I would otherwise have had.

Never played w/ these scrying people. They are going to make early expansion a lot easier! Don't need to scout any place where our dominion goes to see what's there. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 pm I thought downloading took longer than usual when we were doing RMC's but that could be - bigger map? Dom 4 vs Dom 5? connection? more players?

On the plus side, it didn't time out (after that long, RMC's usually timed out and I had to do it again, though it picked up where it left off).

We usually just checked and either last person to go would post or someone would see we were on a new turn and post (some of us check as 1-2 times/day just to be safe, for me at least, because I can't always check in the morning, so I don't want to make everyone wait up to 24 hours longer b4 I get back to it).

One request - if you know you are not going to be able to take a turn in the next 48 (out of town, issues, whatever), if you can post in here so we all know, that is greatly appreciated by the rest of us. Not a requirement, just a courtesy. And obviously we fully understand emergencies or situations where you just can't get on the internet at all to post or whatever.
The fact that my Internet is 1 up and 2 down? :o

I used to check in the mornings in Dom 4. I won't be doing that anymore except on weekends, that's where I saying one turn per day before I even bought the game. I have no idea why but time is not a luxury for me like it was then.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm The fact that my Internet is 1 up and 2 down? :o
I'm not complaining, just commenting for reference. I'm just thrilled we got a game up finally!

THANK YOU!!! :horse:

And thanks to RMC for all your efforts to try to get a gaming going. It never worked out, but we certainly can't say you didn't try.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Yes, thank you both.
T

Post by T »

Agreed, I appreciate all of your efforts!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Living in the country is nice, as I have a big house and lots of land. But very odd ISP's out here. :)

I actually have a radio antenna on my house that my internet runs through. My connection is mounted on a grain silo a few miles away. I get 10/1 Internet,with very little lag, so that part is nice. But odd way to have my outside IP address set-up, so I can't host servers anymore. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well, that sucked. I think'll be sitting around the first few turns. :oops:
RMC

Post by RMC »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:59 pm Well, that sucked. I think'll be sitting around the first few turns. :oops:
Dude I had double the troops and lost all but like 5 of mine. Knew I should have waited for better troops to be churned out, so I am done waiting for at least a few turns. <sigh>
T

Post by T »

I saw we had a few losses. Almost all were against heavy cavalry and knights. You need to try and avoid those until you are strong enough. Troops with high protection and mages with single target armor piercing spells are useful. Try and start against weaker provinces with troops such as militias, archers, slingers and light infantry. Also, be careful against barbarians, Use ranged against those.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tech redundancy is good. Giving RMC crap is better. Helping Mortis feel good about buying Dominions 5 is best. Thanks!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, all great advice. I though those dudes were the infantry of the water, turned out not so much. :)
T

Post by T »

Also, crossbows are good against heavy cavalry and armored troops in general.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm Tech redundancy is good. Giving RMC crap is better. Helping Mortis feel good about buying Dominions 5 is best. Thanks!
I love you too! :)

I have to make it back out to Chicago soon. :csmile:
tgb

Post by tgb »

That was painful. Who knew my war elephants would turn out to be a bunch of pussies?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Machaka yet lives. Thematically, the Machaka Spider people just found a magic site that allows a mage to summon Giant spiders. Neat.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

T wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 pm You need to try and avoid those until you are strong enough.
That's what I'm surrounded by and at the time that stack looked easiest. Now another stack looks easier, we'll see if stays that way by the time I have a force I'm comfy with.