Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

Post by Zenn7 »

I tried to look this up in the forums.

Sounded like they have no dominion any more. Unlike pretenders w/ no dominion who get banished, they do not get banished. But they will have no benefits from their dominion any more and I hope no more bless benefits.

And our dominion should spread a little easier (at least in Spittle controlled areas) with no competition.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dom 5 locked my Internet and I had to re-server out the ap to bring my Internet back up.

According to the server Sceleria, Ulm, Manchaka, Marignon, Agartha, and Bander Log have not taken a turn. Sorry if that messed anyone up.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

For what it's worth, I Argatha, was able to take my turn now. It froze when I hit end turn but I closed, went back in and it had gotten my turn in.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Broke the siege of fort #2. Little fire creature summon was helpful. Hope the undead and statues are good too because I'm still losing ground against 4 enemies.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Looks like one of the computer players left one of the thrones ripe to be taken for me. I'm grabbing it this turn but I don't seem to be able to create a prophet, so I have not have anyone capable of capturing it. Assuming I take it this turn any close enough with a disciple or a prophet? If I recall, I can transfer a province, can't I?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

You can. Each commander has a "Relinquish Province" command available if you right-click the Action text on their card. I assume the player receiving has to have a Commander in the territory to receive it, may even have a command to accept it (never done it before).

Zenn7, I'm endeavoring to help by tying up Ctis and Pangea, including assassinations that are slowing down their army movements and good ol' province conquest. I am still fighting an Ashdod that has more kick in him left than I expected, and have had to perform a tactical retreat on that front to regroup.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I have two armies that I am slowly building up. But I have a few armies poised on my doorstep from about 3 different nations. :)

So I am going to wait and see if they attack me and let my PD take some of their numbers out, and then counter attack, while I am building up troops and getting summons out. I am building some magic boosters, so I can really get my mages doing summons. My biggest thing, is low recruitment points so it takes two turns to get my biggest mages recruited. <sigh>

But hopefully, I can start contributing soon.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I really should start summoning armies and building trinkets.

/trying to remind self to look in to magic next turn or go back and re-evaluate this turn when I get home.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If anyone needs something in Earth or Fire tones, tell me and send gems. The Forges of Ulm are ready to work.

My leader is exploring for sites as I'm gem poor even with the crafting discounts.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Gem poor and overspending on summons to attempt to get some more armies out.

And the bastages cut my empire up so I'm not getting about 70% of my income.

That random event to have the mandragosas rise up and take the province immediately south of my capital early on screwed me bad enough earlier, but now it's really killing me (lost money, having to move around it, and if I had it now, I'd have all my income still). Wouldn't have been so bad if it was a small army I could have taken it back, but it was like 90 little plant things and a handful of big guys. If I'd had nothing better to do, I could have consolidated my armies and attacked, but not without significant casualties and the war on 4 fronts wouldn't be a war, they'd just steam roll me.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zenn, I can sacrifice a round of income if it would help you... If I'm not confusing games, that should be around 800+ gold. I'm gem-hoarding for my questionable strategy, so no love there.
I will claim a throne for us this next action turn, and maybe paste Pangea's disciple in two turns, if he continues to seige one of my castles. Ctis and asdod are
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Nah, I'm OK. Just frustrating to have your income cut. I still have 300-400g for this turn. Got my best units recruited. Might change my mind if things go much further south though. ;)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm going to turn my faction over to the AI. I'm not enjoying the game as much as everyone else seems to, and to me a turn is a chore I put off as long as possible. Plus i speed through it, not really paying attention, which isn't fair to everyone else.

Have fun, you guys.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Forcing host for tgb's turn. I will continue to do so every turn but that will only happen when I have availability to check. IE around 17:00 Eastern most days.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Going to start laying in to uruk as he after the throne province I hold.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

His switching to AI doesn't resolve that issue?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

From where I sit, I can see he doesn't log in and the turn still waits on him. I can't tell you what he did or did not do.

It's not a huge inconvenience for me personally, I check every day when I get home from work. It only sucks for people who'd want to move the game along quick than the once a day that I check in. We've been very casual to date, so I don't foresee this being a big deal.

I could ask the game to game to force turns based on time, but I don't think that's what we want.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am leaving for a work trip from next Sunday to next Saturday. So don't get excited about the game moving too fast. :)
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 am I am leaving for a work trip from next Sunday to next Saturday. So don't get excited about the game moving too fast. :)
You time travel for your work? How friggen cool is that?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

People also pay me to talk about killing them off. Good times.

I'll be stuck in a conference talking about the post-Trump tax code, with no trip to Star Wars afterwards. Darkest timeline indeed.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Scratch one Pangean Bull God! They seem none too pleased. Also acquired for us another throne. Now that all my armies are consolidated into one nice big chunk, I am going to try to swing through Ashdod territory (again). They don't have the most realms but somehow continue to have very threatening armies. Pangea is huge, but they are spread out and godless for now. Ctis could be an issue for me since that flank has no real armies, but they would most likely get stopped at a full fortress, giving me time to reinforce, and frankly I think they are playing more with Zenn7/Agartha.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Crap. I got in late last night and didn't check. I will remember to check when I get home tonight but I'll be running late again tonight.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My armies are moving into Pangaen territory from the south now. He's got a few small armies spread around, but not meeting much resistance so far.

I have a fairly big third army forming at my capital I can send anywhere that needs help. I'll likely send it into Eriu unless there's a more pressing spot it's needed.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Is the server down for anyone else? I tried this morning, and it could not connect. But might have just been me. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My machine lit up around 22:00 last night. It may have knocked offline with update or something. I'll let you know when I get home. The turn did not advance since Friday. We are waiting for Ulm and one other. I think Z said he's out of town this week.
RMC

Post by RMC »

No worries, just wanted to make sure my ISP didn't do something odd to me.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I tried to submit my turn before leaving but it looked like there was a crash. Back on Sat.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Again sorry. It was up around 19:00 Eastern but then I was in TV mode. I saw the computer turn itself on around 22:00 but I was already in going to bed mode and wasn't thinking about the server being up. :(

So we get a week break. No biggie, right?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 am I tried to submit my turn before leaving but it looked like there was a crash. Back on Sat.
Safe travels!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Looks like Dom5 needed an update and quit working. I'm now running 5.11. Argartha is the only I need to advance a turn.

Not sure what craziness we'll see when the turn advances like we did for the last update.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

My apologies, forgot to point out I'd be out of town Sat-Mon. Back now, will get my turn in later tonight. Have to go buy a new TV first (while gone, our TV died).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I submitted my turn.

And then, I logged in as Bandar Log, shipped all 4 of his Earth Gems, 27 Death gems and 104 nature gems to me, recruited some of his better troops in the capital and set him to AI. He had over 6k gold and after recruiting, I had meant to send most/all the gold to me as well, but I forgot.

And with that, we have a new turn up, and I confirmed this turn we do not have to wait for Bandar Log (he's AI).

Apologies for cheating a bit like that, if this seriously offends someone, I will send them back. But the situation by me is getting a little desperate - thought I was going to lose the throne and fort and sacrificed a small army to weaken the sieging force (fortunately, it was enough to allow me to survive (win) the castle storming. The 104 nature gems I can pass on to others (no use to me, just thought it'd be a shame to let the AI waste them). Needed the Earth/Death gems for summons.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I can use nature gems, if we do not send them back.
RMC

Post by RMC »

No reason to send them back. Just good use of our allies resources. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Agreed. If the AI is not playing him as a player, we may as well get his stuff. :D
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am sniping Panagea and taking provinces as I can. The giants are massing on my border, and those damn bats are attacking me. I am going to grab a sea tile, and then hopefully be ready to attack the castle that they have. I am also building up my castles on the land, so I can actually put forth a stronger force of knights to hold off the giants.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:21 am Agreed. If the AI is not playing him as a player, we may as well get his stuff. :D
The AI will play him. I turned him over to AI control after robbing those specific gems (he didn't have a particularly large number of any other, had the most death and nature). It's just the AI is stupid. Don't be surprised if he has a larger army than any of us soon (blowing that 5,700 gold on crap troops). Really annoyed I forgot to grab the money! Built up defenses on my throne castle again after finally getting the siegers off it, which took a lot of money. Could have used some for recruiting and probably would have expended a bunch just massively building up my province defense to try and slow my enemies down a little. Oh well...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

RMC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am I am sniping Panagea and taking provinces as I can. The giants are massing on my border, and those damn bats are attacking me. I am going to grab a sea tile, and then hopefully be ready to attack the castle that they have. I am also building up my castles on the land, so I can actually put forth a stronger force of knights to hold off the giants.
I am going to start striking the coast forts of those bats. Hopefully I can do this without Oceania steamrolling me. Oceania is a massive force... and they look like they want to come my way. Thankfully, I have researched the Gate spell and will be able to move some of my fortress based groups out if need be.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Since no one has objected and no one else has requested the nature gems, sending the 104 nature gems to Freyland.
RMC

Post by RMC »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 pm
RMC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am I am sniping Panagea and taking provinces as I can. The giants are massing on my border, and those damn bats are attacking me. I am going to grab a sea tile, and then hopefully be ready to attack the castle that they have. I am also building up my castles on the land, so I can actually put forth a stronger force of knights to hold off the giants.
I am going to start striking the coast forts of those bats. Hopefully I can do this without Oceania steamrolling me. Oceania is a massive force... and they look like they want to come my way. Thankfully, I have researched the Gate spell and will be able to move some of my fortress based groups out if need be.
I have had a very slow start. But I am slowly getting my sea forces summons going. I need a few more Krakens, and that should augment my water forces so I can help stem that tide from oceania as well.