Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

Post by Zenn7 »

First - going out of town either tomorrow or Monday (not sure which yet; hoping tomorrow though traffic will suck, don't really want to spend Xmas day driving 8 hours). Coming back Thursday (or maybe Friday).

I'll try to get this going on my in-law's PC, but their PC is much older (fortunately, not really demanding game). If I can't though, I won't be able to do another turn again until I come back. Will at least be able to post and let you know.

Second - second game - see above regarding my ability to start, but assuming I can or you are willing to wait til I return, I would love to play a second game. Just a FYI though - turns are still pretty fast now, another 30+ turns might see turns taking a bit longer. Just for those who are newer, want to make sure they are aware later in the game, turn time can go up exponentially.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Very exponentially, although its a bigger deal when you are playing against human opponents because you (or them!) are being more sneaky and evil. Regardless, I would volunteer for a second game as well.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes. I'm in for a second game.

The AI can aggressively expand but often screws up. I have had troops dash themselves against my Fortress before. I think the AI feels losing a stack is worth it to shut off your production of capital only troops.

Sometimes the reports can be wildly off which is magnified for throne troops. Unless they're in our dominion (with the free scry effect) or you can place a spy, don't rely on the reports. They could x2 estimate 250 troops.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm coming into my busy season with my final two home shows approaching, so I'm going to have to pass on a second game.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

FYI - tgb, new turn is up. You are the last one, after you submit, if you wait a couple minutes, you should be able to reconnect and take your next turn too.
T

Post by T »

I'm going to pass on a second game too. I'm in a couple of other async games and once our turns start getting longer, one is all I can handle.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Bonus for expanding the fastest - I currently have borders with 6 enemies. No active wars yet. Need to build me a second fort somewhere ASAP I think (probably on this throne province I'm attacking).
RMC

Post by RMC »

I have finally gotten a feel for these guys, but man I have a ton of heavy troops around me.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 pm First - going out of town either tomorrow or Monday (not sure which yet; hoping tomorrow though traffic will suck, don't really want to spend Xmas day driving 8 hours). Coming back Thursday (or maybe Friday).

I'll try to get this going on my in-law's PC, but their PC is much older (fortunately, not really demanding game). If I can't though, I won't be able to do another turn again until I come back. Will at least be able to post and let you know.
Weather changed my plans, so I'm home all week. Can keep my turns up no problem and ready for a 2nd game whenever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can host a 2nd game if you like but I'd rather see how this one pans out before committing to round 2.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

New turn is up this morning.

Looks like it was a decent round, we won every fight we were in, both offensive and defensive.

I captured a throne and am claiming it this turn. Throne of night - +1 dom and blessed get darkvision. Not terribly great and it might make the work dark. But there's worse, so I won't complain. Going to build a fort on the throne.

Depends on what happens this turn, will be turning to Ctis and helping Machaka next turn (consolidating/reinforcing my army in the south and taking out one last neutral province there this turn). Unless I get attacked by too many other enemies and not Ctis, then I might need to focus in other areas.

Thinking about taking out Ermor, but hoping they and Jotunheim will hit each other. Not many of Yama's followers around me, all Spittle's. Not an ideal situation.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Machaka had a bad turn about two turns ago, but for now seems stable. Ctis sent its large armies north instead of at me, and I just Stealthed a province from them in the middle of their lands. In two turns I plan to bring some hurt back to the Giant dudes to my SW. Are the AI's a team, or a bunch of individuals?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

The AI's are 2 teams.

Under statistics (I think that's the button - it's where the score graphs are), there is an option to see the pretenders of the world, so you can see who is on who's team.

Hope my large army is significantly better than Ctis's large army. :)
T

Post by T »

Looks like I've held off both AI's. Thanks to whoever helped! I just started building a palisades towards Ashodel. I plan on building and moving troops over while it builds. Then I will siege Ashodel's castle. Marignon, and anyone else close by, you are welcome to join me.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Sorry for the hold up guys. I processed the turn and sent in a second one - so we are good to go.

Arcoscephale, I think we can hit Pythium now, if you are ready. I have about 60+ troops, including over 20+ Starspawn to paralyze. If we both attack, I assume our forces will work in tandem?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:54 pm Sorry for the hold up guys. I processed the turn and sent in a second one - so we are good to go.

Arcoscephale, I think we can hit Pythium now, if you are ready. I have about 60+ troops, including over 20+ Starspawn to paralyze. If we both attack, I assume our forces will work in tandem?
No hold up. I have no idea if we attack in tandem. I was going to hit him next turn, but this turn works for me. What's the worst that could happen. :D
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

If you both attack simultaneously the game will determine who entered first and that army will be the first to assault, alone. If they fail to win, the second army will attack, also alone. If the first army wins, the second army can occupy the same spot if allies, although only the first attacker will enjoy the primary benefits of the territory. Supplies rules will apply, so two big armies could start starving if they occupy a territory that cannot support them.
Also, if the two attacking armies are not allies, they will fight each other after the initial victory against the original province owner.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Hmmm... lost too many trog slaves to try C'tis main army. When my next batch of reinforcements catches up, maybe. For now, attacked one C'tis province w/ no noticeable armies in it.

Northern army is continuing to hold position on throne while fort is being constructed. Figure they're in a good spot if there's a breakout from C'tis. Plus I don't want to lose the fort b4 it gets built.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:14 pm
baelthazar wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:54 pm Sorry for the hold up guys. I processed the turn and sent in a second one - so we are good to go.

No hold up. I have no idea if we attack in tandem. I was going to hit him next turn, but this turn works for me. What's the worst that could happen. :D
I meant next turn as well (I am gathering one more group). But if we do not aid one another, it might be best for me to turn towards the other enemy AI to the south east.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Apologies for possibly holding things up. I just finished my turn, only to have the game crash on me. I reloaded, and nothing is saved. Since its 0225 here and I still have critters to feed, I'm putting off the redo until tomorrow (today, actually).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Freyland wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:26 am Apologies for possibly holding things up. I just finished my turn, only to have the game crash on me. I reloaded, and nothing is saved. Since its 0225 here and I still have critters to feed, I'm putting off the redo until tomorrow (today, actually).
That sucked for you. :(

On the plus side, you aren't holding things up - 3 players have not completed their turn. Not that you need to apologize even if you were.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am
Freyland wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:26 am Apologies for possibly holding things up. I just finished my turn, only to have the game crash on me. I reloaded, and nothing is saved. Since its 0225 here and I still have critters to feed, I'm putting off the redo until tomorrow (today, actually).
That sucked for you. :(

On the plus side, you aren't holding things up - 3 players have not completed their turn. Not that you need to apologize even if you were.
You are kind. :)
A (possible) pro tip for anyone if they hit end turn and the game just hangs-- When I reloaded, I received a message saying something like, "Local Turn Data is different than Server Turn Data" and I was asked to choose which Data to go with. I chose poorly, apparently. Go with the "Local Data" unless you clearly saw your information getting uploaded.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I will be starting a fortress in the mountains to the west of Ulm (dark blue). I have to choose whether to push south or north.

My main force now numbers 150 strong and I produce 20 units a turn. Should be good until magic offsets my faction's armor.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:29 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:14 pm

I meant next turn as well (I am gathering one more group). But if we do not aid one another, it might be best for me to turn towards the other enemy AI to the south east.

Well, then Whoops! :lol: :shock:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

If you fail, I will swoop in and mop up the rest!

Every time I look at the turn list, it says that Machaka has finished the turn and but marked it as unfinished. Is this something on my end or is that intentional?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Intentional. If you load your turn but don't finish it, that is an option to choose. As noted earlier, the game crashed on me and I have to redo my turn. Hope it doesn't process without me but what can you do?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I took Pythium, but I'm not strong enough to damage the fortress. Will be interesting. I have enemy on all sides now.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 pm I took Pythium, but I'm not strong enough to damage the fortress. Will be interesting. I have enemy on all sides now.
I shall enter and see if I can damage the fort. I have fortified the area around, so the Nazca scum will have to go through a 35 defense to get to Pythium. That said, they have a mix of soldiers and undead at the door.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

So Ctis will move a sizeable army (for them) into the territory I chose to start the war with. Expensive victory. Thinking to march to their capital and siege it ASAP. With no castles (being under siege, they cannot collect income at this castle), they won't be able to collect income, won't have much to get new armies with. Have to see if I can advance and survive until my reinforcements arrive.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Next turn is up.

Might not be able to march on Ctis's capital as quickly as I thought. Supposedly 160 units there. Err... my guys are reasonably tough, but probably not tough enough to take out that 4-1 odds even if they are mostly crap troops (some probably are crap troops, but some are surely better).
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The siege of Pythium goes well as my tentacled brethren tear down the heretic's walls. They are severely damaged an likely to fall within a turn or so. I hope that I have enough troops to take out the defenders. As Pythium owns no other provinces, this should put them down (and they are one of the pretenders, right).
tgb

Post by tgb »

Without having to go through all 7 pages of the thread, is Vanheim one of us? I didn't see them in the list of Pretenders.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm The siege of Pythium goes well as my tentacled brethren tear down the heretic's walls. They are severely damaged an likely to fall within a turn or so. I hope that I have enough troops to take out the defenders. As Pythium owns no other provinces, this should put them down (and they are one of the pretenders, right).
They are one of the pretenders. My forces had no problem forcing them to hide in their keep. You should have not problem taking them out... or I should have no problem taking them out? but if you are the one damaging the wall, I'm guess it will be you. I have reinforcements coming just in case.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:55 am
baelthazar wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm The siege of Pythium goes well as my tentacled brethren tear down the heretic's walls. They are severely damaged an likely to fall within a turn or so. I hope that I have enough troops to take out the defenders. As Pythium owns no other provinces, this should put them down (and they are one of the pretenders, right).
They are one of the pretenders. My forces had no problem forcing them to hide in their keep. You should have not problem taking them out... or I should have no problem taking them out? but if you are the one damaging the wall, I'm guess it will be you. I have reinforcements coming just in case.
For fort, you only fight the Province Defense and units on Patrol. Research/building/casting/forging/defending units are inside the fort. Chances are you did not fight the bulk of their army in their capital. But if they are not trying to break the siege, they probably do not have a powerful enough army to do so. WInning when you get the walls down might be another matter. Getting through their arrow towers and narrow siege entrance where their ranged/mages get more/easier time to rain death on you can be a challenge some times. Not always an issue, but just some notes on the matter.

As for who's going in - whoever is sieging is the only one who gets a choice in the matter. Don't think it's the largest army, it's whoever starts the siege, but not 100% positive about that. Once the walls are down you have to use a specific storm the castle command. So it will only be the sieger. If he loses, the other player's army will start a siege automatically next turn (might even be able to storm as the walls might be considered down still).
tgb wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 am Without having to go through all 7 pages of the thread, is Vanheim one of us? I didn't see them in the list of Pretenders.
1 - on page 1, first post, we are all listed with our nations (you do not need to scan through 7 pages) :).
2 - on the statistics button in game, there is an option to see all pretenders, will show you which nations are AI vs Human and who is a pretender and who is a disciple (and of which pretender they are a disciple to).
3 - Vanheim is not one of us.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:02 am
For fort, you only fight the Province Defense and units on Patrol. Research/building/casting/forging/defending units are inside the fort. Chances are you did not fight the bulk of their army in their capital. But if they are not trying to break the siege, they probably do not have a powerful enough army to do so. WInning when you get the walls down might be another matter. Getting through their arrow towers and narrow siege entrance where their ranged/mages get more/easier time to rain death on you can be a challenge some times. Not always an issue, but just some notes on the matter.

As for who's going in - whoever is sieging is the only one who gets a choice in the matter. Don't think it's the largest army, it's whoever starts the siege, but not 100% positive about that. Once the walls are down you have to use a specific storm the castle command. So it will only be the sieger. If he loses, the other player's army will start a siege automatically next turn (might even be able to storm as the walls might be considered down still).
tgb wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 am Without having to go through all 7 pages of the thread, is Vanheim one of us? I didn't see them in the list of Pretenders.
1 - on page 1, first post, we are all listed with our nations (you do not need to scan through 7 pages) :).
2 - on the statistics button in game, there is an option to see all pretenders, will show you which nations are AI vs Human and who is a pretender and who is a disciple (and of which pretender they are a disciple to).
If you wait does the breach get bigger?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 am
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:02 am

If you wait does the breach get bigger?
I do not believe so. If you both have largish armies there though, you need to watch to make sure they are not starving or you'll get diseased which will screw up and eventually kill your units.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm holding my army outside Asphodel's capital for a turn to wait for reinforcements, but I'm planning on marching on it next turn. I'm hoping Sceleria has pulled enough of their forces away that I'll be able to at least put it under siege to cut off their reinforcements, but my armies there aren't super strong yet.

If anyone else has a border with them, Abysia south of me has been getting pretty strong. They haven't moved against me yet, but they have quite a bit of territory.
T

Post by T »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:00 pm I'm holding my army outside Asphodel's capital for a turn to wait for reinforcements, but I'm planning on marching on it next turn. I'm hoping Sceleria has pulled enough of their forces away that I'll be able to at least put it under siege to cut off their reinforcements, but my armies there aren't super strong yet.

If anyone else has a border with them, Abysia south of me has been getting pretty strong. They haven't moved against me yet, but they have quite a bit of territory.
I was going to help you siege, but the brain-dead AI moved a force out and I don't want it attacking the province where I'm building my palisades, so I temporarily backed up.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

T wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm I was going to help you siege, but the brain-dead AI moved a force out and I don't want it attacking the province where I'm building my palisades, so I temporarily backed up.
No worries, I think getting their heavier units out of their capital should work out for the best in the long run. They had some larger creatures in there last turn I wasn't so sure I'd be able to take, but if it's just his archmage and some basic units, I think my knights and mages can handle them.
RMC

Post by RMC »

New Turn is up. Sorry I was holding it up.

I lost again, to a bunch of hero's. I have some really powerful units, but they cost so much to get on the field it is not even funny..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat