Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Dominions 5 - Return of the Octopus Overlords

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 am
baelthazar wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 pm
RMC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am I am sniping Panagea and taking provinces as I can. The giants are massing on my border, and those damn bats are attacking me. I am going to grab a sea tile, and then hopefully be ready to attack the castle that they have. I am also building up my castles on the land, so I can actually put forth a stronger force of knights to hold off the giants.
I am going to start striking the coast forts of those bats. Hopefully I can do this without Oceania steamrolling me. Oceania is a massive force... and they look like they want to come my way. Thankfully, I have researched the Gate spell and will be able to move some of my fortress based groups out if need be.
I have had a very slow start. But I am slowly getting my sea forces summons going. I need a few more Krakens, and that should augment my water forces so I can help stem that tide from oceania as well.
If you can, get dragon turtles. They look quite a bit tougher in stats and can trample. Think the kraken had really low protection, not going to last long in a fight. Leastwise, that was my quick analysis from using a few in my SP game I did using our nations. Finally won that with a throne victory after nearly wiping everyone out but Ryleh (Ys was in my faction, they got wiped, hard to get into the sea and get going).
RMC

Post by RMC »

I'll have to look up the turtles. I use the Kraken because they have the 8 arms with attacks, and make a good cushion between my knights and whatever I am fighting.

I like to try to tie up the middle with the inexpensive troops, and then sweep on both sides with the knights to get behind the main body of troops to the knights into commanders, and any squishy casters. But it does not always work. Like when there are a ton of troops I am facing. One of my blessed knights can take out a ton of foot troops, but against some real tough giants or other knights, they tend to fold pretty quickly. <shrug>

I am not a fan of Ys at all, because it just doesn't fit my play style. I should be able to hold out with the help of allies, but if I was playing in a competitive game against other humans, I would have been gone long ago. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just FYI, I went to check on the game and server seems down.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm back tomorrow.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm I'm back tomorrow.
No worries, just got paranoid I was holding things up and went to go check. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 pm Just FYI, I went to check on the game and server seems down.
My ISP died. It's back up now. It looks like I have the same IP so we should be good, Z will post when he takes his turn, I'm sure.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Worked fine. New turnn is up.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 am
RMC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am I am sniping Panagea and taking provinces as I can. The giants are massing on my border, and those damn bats are attacking me. I am going to grab a sea tile, and then hopefully be ready to attack the castle that they have. I am also building up my castles on the land, so I can actually put forth a stronger force of knights to hold off the giants.
I am going to start striking the coast forts of those bats. Hopefully I can do this without Oceania steamrolling me. Oceania is a massive force... and they look like they want to come my way. Thankfully, I have researched the Gate spell and will be able to move some of my fortress based groups out if need be.
I have had a very slow start. But I am slowly getting my sea forces summons going. I need a few more Krakens, and that should augment my water forces so I can help stem that tide from oceania as well.
If you can, get dragon turtles. They look quite a bit tougher in stats and can trample. Think the kraken had really low protection, not going to last long in a fight. Leastwise, that was my quick analysis from using a few in my SP game I did using our nations. Finally won that with a throne victory after nearly wiping everyone out but Ryleh (Ys was in my faction, they got wiped, hard to get into the sea and get going).
I was looking, and I found Asp Turtles, but they are level 7 summoning. Is there Dragon Turtles that I am missing?

Also, new turn should be up.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:55 am
I was looking, and I found Asp Turtles, but they are level 7 summoning. Is there Dragon Turtles that I am missing?

Also, new turn should be up.
Errr... sorry, yes. Asp turtle. When I got around to summoning an underwater force, I had fully researched every spell in the game. Took a while to deal with the land forces (lots of trading back and forth with huge Pangea armies). Wraith Lord leading large armies of wraiths and ghosts helped turn the tide (along with a few other adjustments).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Came home and the server was shut down for an update. Restarted now. New turn is up and it is running 5.13
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Just killed Eriu's disciple in the Yellow Mountains (250). So come out to help to your East, Marginon.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 am Just killed Eriu's disciple in the Yellow Mountains (250). So come out to help to your East, Marginon.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

I've got assassins in his territory doing the lords work already, but I should be able to send the army that's gathering at my capital to help finish them off... assuming my forces in Pangea don't get crushed.
Last edited by Sepiche on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Give me tips for successful use of assassins. It's an aspect of the game I don't quite get and never use.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am Give me tips for successful use of assassins. It's an aspect of the game I don't quite get and never use.
Right now I'm mostly just spamming out naked assassins and just have them trying to kill any commanders in Eriu's territory they can. If you've got some spare gems you can equip them a bit to make them better... something to protect them, some better weapons, and some magic resist are good ideas. If you have fire magic and construction 4, one of my favorite tricks is equipping them with medallions of vengeance, so if they get killed they'll explode and have an extra chance of killing their target.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Dead Commanders = Armies that don't move

Nothing more delightful than having a giant stack of doom approaching you, only to have your assassin kill off the Commander who had 80 troops under his command. The rest of the troops will still follow their move order while those 80 dudes just sit around awaiting instruction.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I never thought I would be last...

But I'm alive and awake. I am last but it says Manchaka has played his turn but it is marked as unfinished. My guess is you were the first to update and that's what knocked me off line. That's just a guess.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well that turn blew chunks for me. My water army is gone, for all intents and purposes. I lost 4 of my leaders and all my magic items in the sea. <sigh>

I thought my knights would be a match since they have displacement, and spells. But apparently, they suck in the water. Gah..

So I am slowly building up again. I have some knights helping to fight Pangea, but Ashdod and the giants, when they decide to attack, are going to make quick work of me.

I am not very good with this nation. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My connection went down and is back up again. Seems to be happening a lot lately. Turn has not advanced. We're waiting or R'leyh
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Sorry if I delayed everyone, I have a new job and getting up at 5:30am is new to me.

I had a crap turn. My most powerful random unit, The Visitor, was killed in a battle. I grew overconfident with his ethereal nature. The reason this sucks is that he was one of three units with the astral magic needed to cast Gateway so I could shuttle my troops to the front. Now it will require my second powerful random unit or my pretender... grrrrr...

So the turn is up now and ready to rock.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 pm Sorry if I delayed everyone, I have a new job and getting up at 5:30am is new to me.

I had a crap turn. My most powerful random unit, The Visitor, was killed in a battle. I grew overconfident with his ethereal nature. The reason this sucks is that he was one of three units with the astral magic needed to cast Gateway so I could shuttle my troops to the front. Now it will require my second powerful random unit or my pretender... grrrrr...

So the turn is up now and ready to rock.
Nothing slowed. I just like to post an update when I see my resources aren't doing what they're supposed to.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I hope someone is kicking ass, because I feel like I'm just treading water.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Freyland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:49 am I hope someone is kicking ass, because I feel like I'm just treading water.
I am not in any sense of the word kicking ass....
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We'll see. I am sieging two castles. My troops are slow but armored. If I can storm them successfully, I'll be making progress. I'll storm one this turn.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Freyland wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:49 am I hope someone is kicking ass, because I feel like I'm just treading water.
I am in a weird place. I have T'ien Chi's capital under siege and am heading for Xilbaba's capital, but I am getting sniped by Nazca and have all sorts of ocean-dwelling baddies surrounding my empire.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

If it's not too late already, make sure you are only attacking nations that belong to the pretender you are at war with already. The one we killed is all the nations I'm fighting. The other one has 3-4 nations at or near my border, but we aren't fighting each other. They appear to be more involved with fighting the other AI.

I'm slowly gaining (regaining?) ground, but suspect I have not made any serious headway other than to unbury myself from a screwed state for a while.

Freyland, I can send 10 or nature gems (think that's all I have), anything else you need?

If anyone has spare death and/or earth gems, I wouldn't turn those down!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Thanks for the offer Zenn7, I'm okay unless those are gems you have little use for. I do have some good nature summoners, though. What I really am short on is money. My Blessed units are absolute monsters but something like 150 gold each, and I find my money going towards "bulk" troops just to reclaim territories just stolen and putting a modicum of defense on them. After maintenance, I think I only get about 480 gold per turn.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I have no nature casters and no use whatsoever for the 10 nature gems, so they're yours. Can't help much with gold, but sent you 60.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well lost two more provinces. It's not the income that is bad to lose, but my little armies that I am building.

My holy troops are 115 each, and a ton of recruitment points. One of the castle's I built on land only allows me to build silly troops. Like horse archer's, so it is practically worthless.

I am building a second water fortress to try to help out in the water. :)

I have not extra gems yet, but I do have a trickle of death gems I was using but I can send those out to others that can use them better. Only like 1 a turn. Let me know who needs those most and I will send.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

RMC - u need any gems? Water gems or anything?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 am RMC - u need any gems? Water gems or anything?
If you have water gems that would be awesome.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have a metric ton of gems, for anyone who needs them. I keep getting the "you found a beast and got its trove of gems" event that gives you at least 5-7 gems of each type. I use water and astral (and can always use more astral). But otherwise I have:

Fire 18
Air 40
Earth 48
Nature 12
Blood 6

So let me know if you need any of these. I will gladly accept astral that anyone is not using. Currently, I am using my disciple and strongest mage to cast Imprint Soul (25 astral) against undefended provinces nearby. It is not having a huge effect, but I might get lucky.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

12 water gems for RMC and 10 astral for Baelthazar.

Bael, if no one else urgently needs them, I'd most definitely love as many earth gems as you want to share. :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zenn7 wrote:12 water gems for RMC and 10 astral for Baelthazar.

Bael, if no one else urgently needs them, I'd most definitely love as many earth gems as you want to share. :)
Remind me which nation you are and I can send them with my next turn.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

New turn will be up by the time your read this message. Turn is processing now.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:01 pm
Zenn7 wrote:12 water gems for RMC and 10 astral for Baelthazar.

Remind me which nation you are and I can send them with my next turn.
Agartha

FYI: all our race picks are listed in first post for this thread (unless someone changed something from what is listed).
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Well, that bites. I made a rookie mistake on the turn before the one you are receiving now, and my Disciple just bit it. Basically he moved into the throne territory as my army was moving out, and the enemy moved in after all that was said and done. I didnt have money or just forgot to plunk down any province defense. Poop.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Server updated to 5.14b
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Freyland wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 am Well, that bites. I made a rookie mistake on the turn before the one you are receiving now, and my Disciple just bit it. Basically he moved into the throne territory as my army was moving out, and the enemy moved in after all that was said and done. I didnt have money or just forgot to plunk down any province defense. Poop.
I was playing a SP game last week, EA, Niflhiem. Had the Bitch Queen (werewolf who has wolves join her in any fight - not a badass like dragons, but not supersquishy (35 HP I think and regen). Behind the front line moving around to claim thrones - random event Vampire and thralls popped in a province she was in/passing through. The PD and her were not enough... :(
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Next turn I'll knock a second AI out of the game. :)

Then I have to do a fair amount of marching to bolster their forces to safely turn the machine both north and south. Our AI ally seems to be making progress, but has stretched itself thin. I might have to send my troops over to bail it out.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 am Next turn I'll knock a second AI out of the game. :)

Then I have to do a fair amount of marching to bolster their forces to safely turn the machine both north and south. Our AI ally seems to be making progress, but has stretched itself thin. I might have to send my troops over to bail it out.
Didn't look close enough to see the stretched thin part, but noticed he was doing quite well when I suddenly had a border with one territory. That was a pleasant surprise in the Jotunhiem front.