Valley. An amazing hidden gem of a game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Valley. An amazing hidden gem of a game

Post by Skinypupy »

I grabbed this on a whim, not really knowing much more than it was an FPS "exploration" game. Fired it up on Monday and couldn't stop playing until I beat it. This is an absolutely amazing game that I'm guessing flew under everyone's radar.

In Valley, you are an explorer looking for something called the "lifeseed" hidden deep in the Rocky Mountains. After a canoeing accident, you wash up on shore in a deserted valley, and find a crazy mechanical L.E.A.F. (Leap Effortlessly through Air Functionality) suit that allows you to to run faster and jump higher. From there, the game takes you on an incredible journey through an absolutely beautiful landscape. You gradually gain more suit abilities as you progress, some of which are amazingly fun. The story gradually unfolds as well, and pieces together a fantastic mystery about what happened there. I won't give any of it away, but suffice to say, it had me captivated throughout. There's some puzzle elements and some light FPS, but the game is mostly exploring and progressing through the environment using a combination of your ever-expanding suit powers to progress. It leads to some incredibly fun setpieces that honestly had me grinning from ear to ear (running on electrified rails and skipping over water were exhilarating). Oh, and it has a brilliant soundtrack to match the visuals.

My only real gripe is that there is no quicksave function or save points, which means that if you die or your PC locks up, you have to start the level over from the beginning. That kinda sucked, but once you figure out how to get through a level, retracing your steps isn't all that hard. It isn't very long...only took me about 5 hours to complete, but that felt perfect.

I hadn't even heard of Valley before I decided to give it a go, and I'm absolutely thrilled that I did. Had to come here and give it a plug, as it is one of the most pleasant gaming surprises I've had in a long, long time. Definitely keep an eye out for it on the Steam holiday sale. If it's on sale and on your wishlist, Santa Skiny will be visiting you. :csmile: I would highly, highly recommend giving it a look.

P.S. ACG did a very detailed review that sums up my thoughts pretty well.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Dave Allen

Re: Valley. An amazing hidden gem of a game

Post by Dave Allen »

and for christmas, right now it is 80% off -- $3.99 on Steam
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dave Allen wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:36 am and for christmas, right now it is 80% off -- $3.99 on Steam
Seriously, go buy this. Or let me know you’re interested and I’ll buy it for you. :csmile:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:49 am
Dave Allen wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:36 am and for christmas, right now it is 80% off -- $3.99 on Steam
Seriously, go buy this. Or let me know you’re interested and I’ll buy it for you. :csmile:
I picked it up on your recommendation. Looking forward to it, it looks great.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Same. Should have time to play by 2020 or so...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I tried it for a couple hours. I guess I can pick it back up now that I've finished Submerged.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds