Shadow of the Tomb Raider

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Post by Grifman »

Ok, so today Square Enix announced a follow up to their previous Tomb Raider reboots

https://twitter.com/tombraider/status/9 ... 478615040

I'm using Shadow of the Tom Raider because that name has previously been leaked, if it changes I'll update. (Though the first letter of each sentence spells "Shadow") :) According to the announcement, there won't be long between the official reveal and when the game comes out. Loved the first two, can't wait for this one!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Post by coopasonic »

Yes, please.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Woot! But please please please don't be a MS 'exclusive' again... :pray:
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The movie is coming out in March, I suspect they will announce the game around that time, with it coming out a couple of months later, maybe sooner.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Game teaser trailer out now:

http://ew.com/gaming/2018/03/15/shadow- ... ara-croft/

Looks like we will be in Central or South America. Can’t wait, I love these games!

There will be an extended gameplay look at the TriBeCa Fim Festival on April 27, and the game will be released Sept 14.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Meh not sure. Ill buy and play it of course as I love the games but just not sure what else they can do. I really loved the first reboot on the magic island. Then the last one I had a lot of fun with in the snow mines. But before the end I burned out a bit. Id done all the climbing and the sneaking and the stuff. It wasn't as fun as the first one. I also got SICK of being in one place the entire time. I like to globe hop and see other environments. South American will be a great settings...ancient Aztecs and tombs and pyramids and such. But if its just that one area Ill get burned out quick again.

And for Fs sake stop making me slog through an area with bad guys and traps only to get to the super secret chamber and look up and see open sky where a helicopter could have put me in.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Game concept art. Looks fantastic! Mayan apocalypse, here we come!

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Game trailer will be released today but here are some images:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I loved the first two, this is my most looked forward to game for this year:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Not sure how this is out yet but here is the new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WvEmEzujyg

Looks great, looks like a cross between Predator and Apocalypto, but they change Lara's face with every new game :)

EDIT - looks like this was accidentally leaked by Microsoft Store from what I have read.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't need to see anything to know I am buying this day 1, but thanks for sharing anyway. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The game is now available for preloading on Steam if you have purchased it. Looking forward to 2 days of early play for pre-ordering!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 pm Looking forward to 2 days of early play for pre-ordering!
With any special edition, not the base game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Tim Rogers at Kotaku has what I think is a pretty funny 30 minute highlights video of this game. Apparently it only covers the beginning area, so there shouldn't be too much in the way of spoilers. He makes the game seem like hilarious fun to play. I'm really tempted to buy this now.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

And she starts off battered, bruised, bleeding and bloody once again :)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Are there any actual tombs to, you know, raid?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm Are there any actual tombs to, you know, raid?
A couple reviews I checked out mentioned the game having more tomb raiding and less murder than the two previous games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm Are there any actual tombs to, you know, raid?
A couple reviews I checked out mentioned the game having more tomb raiding and less murder than the two previous games.
TV ads show her flinging herself from a tree onto an unsuspecting, innocent guard. She must have plunged 20 feet onto him. She wasn't the only thing plunging as evidenced by the knife in her hand (well, it wasn't shown. The plunging was heavily implied).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm not saying the murder is gone. In fact it sounds like they are increasing the stealthy murder options. Apparently a lot more underwater exploration (and stealthy murder) stuff too.

Based on the reported length of the game and my wife being out of town this weekend, there is a decent chance I start *and* finish the game this weekend.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There's supposed to be more in this one. I've done one but it still early and the training wheels are still on so hopefully it'll be more like the first games with the tombs and exploration than the last couple
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Did a couple of more tombs. While there is combat actually raiding tombs is a thing :P
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yay, Lara gets back to her roots, robbing graves!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Those fucking sub-humans are god damn creepy
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Started late but made it to the first base camp before calling it a night. Woot! 8-)
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just finished it, playing on the default difficulty. 24 hours play time and 91% completion. For the most part I was just missing survivor caches. There was a bit of challenge in the end, but overall it was way more about exploration and puzzle solving than combat and the variety in puzzles was really nice. Exploration also largely paid off. After all the waiting it's kind of hard to believe it's already over. I really should learn to take my time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I am just back at the hidden city with the rebel queen captured. Been avoiding progressing the story to go the various tombs so I don't end the story too soon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

IceBear wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm I am just back at the hidden city with the rebel queen captured. Been avoiding progressing the story to go the various tombs so I don't end the story too soon
If you haven't noticed already, you are given a warning when you reach the point of no return. You don't have to slow roll it... though I think you are really close to that point.

I started NG+ and took the option that gave me a new bow. I bumped the difficulty up to hard just to see, but there isn't really much of a difference since I have done it all already so the puzzles and exploration differences don't really have any impact. I am mostly stealth, so the extra enemy health doesn't make much difference either and I already have the skill that enables enemies showing up in survival instinct. Basically the only potential impact for me is where enemies will notice Lara faster. I am up for that challenge.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

So, anyone else get the full Terminator vibe when Lara stood up out of the lake of fire and turned into the stone cold murder machine :shock:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just finished NG+ on Hard difficulty (kind of a speed run, no extra stuff completed, done in about 8 hours). There is no NG++.

I am tempted to play again on Very Hard, but the many minutes of unskippable cutscenes are holding me back. Also, I have completed the game twice and have yet to earn a single achievement.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:11 pm Also, I have completed the game twice and have yet to earn a single achievement.
How is that even possible? Simply moving through the story gets you achievements and then simple things like buying something from a merchant for the first time do as well. :?
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's because he lies.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm guessing it is bugged. I did some googling and turned on cloud saves and got a handful, but not all that I should have, like "buy a skill"
... hell I even bought a skill after turning on the cloud save and it still didn't pop. *shrug* I guess I won't be going after achievements on this, which is too bad since I could probably wouldn't be far off from most of them... though I doubt I could get them all. The top difficulty level is stupid, only saving at campfires means you have to replay large sections because you mistimed a jump... also the final scene at top difficulty with no mid-mission saves would be... annoying.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 am It's because he lies.

If you click through you will see that all 19 of them are: Unlocked Sep 18 @ 8:23pm, which is 12 minutes after I made that post.

Also note that I have the achievement for completing 8 side missions and not the achievement for completing one side mission among other similar disparities.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I've finally started the game. I bought the season pass and was waiting for all of the DLC to be released, and with the final one coming out in the next couple of weeks, figured I could go ahead and start. I'm really enjoying it - so far it is MOTS with a few game play enhancements but that's good because I really enjoyed the first two. I've heard there's more tombs and less combat which is a bit of a downer, I actually like the combat in the past games, but still, it is Tomb Raider after all.

One thing I do wish they did is give Lara non-lethal takedowns. The same Eidos team that worked on Deus Ex worked on this so it would have been nice if they had incorporated this aspect into the game so Lara wasn't such a killer.

I will also note that this is one of the prettiest games I've even played. The graphics are great.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Currently playing this one. I love the new series. Never played the old one. So far while this one is the prettiest, I think it has the weakest story. There were legitimate stakes in the other two. This one feels like spoiled rich girl has guilt for being an entitled, thieving, fraudulent, murder monster, who likes kids. She was still all those things but the world unfolded regardless of her. This time the apocalypse is straight due to her arrogance.

Still a thoroughly enjoyable game. I do like the demand for more stealth and less head on killing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss clearing a town creepy badguy by creepy badguy. Though killing choke points are a little more exploitable in this one. Finding good cover to lure enemies and stealth killing them into a corpse pile ten deep.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kind of... stuck... right now in the penultimate challenge tomb. You know, the swirling raft ride of fiery doom one thru piranhas where you have to shoot switches twice while jumping under/over spinning dragon glass blades of death. Yay. Finally made it to the first checkpoint. So far. :(
-mf
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

On sale for 78% (!) off so I grabbed it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am loving the graphics and the gameplay, especially once it opens up with fast travel. I am hating the unskippable cut scenes. Apparently you can skip them on PS4, but have not seen a PC solution. My only solution is to keep a book handy. Oh, and a grief saving hint:
Spoiler:
In the Hidden City as you are completing "Takiy's Dice" quest, buy both the lockpick and the Rope Ascender from Moraekah, even if you must sell everything. I didn't and found out she moves after your first interaction. It took me hours to find her again, and had to use guide help.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter