[Oldies] Fallout 3 replay for 2018!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

[Oldies] Fallout 3 replay for 2018!

Post by Kasey Chang »

I finished it once... years ago. Want to try something else. So here goes.

Downloaded the gigabytes of data.

Following the Ultimate setup guide... ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =149946772 )

Even disabled dualmon, though I may try same res on both.

Had to update GFWL. ( https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/? ... redist.msi )You'll get a note about something not compatible with this version of windows. That's what it's talking about.

Had to go into OPTIONS in FO3launcher and play with the video settings a little to get it to run properly. Just hit esc and that's that.

Disabled GFWL as per the guide via the disabler.

Edited the Fallout.ini as instructed.

Downloaded Unofficial Fallout 3 Path 2017 version and installed via NMM

Downloaded FOSE and did the steamoverlay mod (renamed original FalloutLauncher.exe to something else, and made a copy of FOSE_LOADER.EXE and named that FalloutLauncher.EXE instead)

Downloaded and activated 4GB patch

Now to hunt the mods!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: [Oldies] Fallout 3 replay for 2018!

Post by Daehawk »

Good luck, we're all counting on you.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im now remembering why I didn't think FO3 was all that memorable.....the damn train tunnels. I cant simply walk from place to place in DC I have to take a maze of tunnels to get there. I get lost. I get sick of the tunnels, I get tired of whats in them. I HATE THIS PART. I can be 1 block from my target place but there will be a wall or a pile blocking me. Im forced into tunnel after tunnel.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Man, just loading mods takes hours, and I didn't even download that many, just the essentials.

* Unofficial FO3 Patch (as mentioned before)
* CASM (autosave)
* FWE (never did use that before, had to do the separate downloads, merge, rezip, and install via NMM)
* MMM and patch
* NMC's texture update (performance pack)
* EVE

Then I picked a couple UI enhancements

* Faster Pipboy
* Darnified UI + FWE patch
* Better Maps and Icons
* More Map Markers
* Smoothlight

I guess it's time to get started. *sigh* :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I so wanted EVE. Ive used it in every game I can since the original FO3. But it wont work now without the DLCs and from reading about them I have zero interests in them.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just got started and walked outside the vault... and into Megaton. One issue, and points of exploration...

a) If I hit ESC, the menu is stuck displaying a dialog box from Darnified. Pressing OK does NOT help. I'm searching for solutions now. As long as I don't hit ESC I'm fine. EDIT: Fixed. I forgot to change the line bInvalidateOlderFiles=0 to 1 in the INI file.

b) There's a tiny vault inside an abandoned house near the vault 101 exit, that requires a key. EDIT: That's Broken Steel DLC.

c) Found "Silver" hiding in one of the houses. Will point out Megaton later.

d) Found Springvale school.

I found myself falling back to relying on guns instead of going for melee as I planned. *sigh*
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm Oh I so wanted EVE. Ive used it in every game I can since the original FO3. But it wont work now without the DLCs and from reading about them I have zero interests in them.
Oh, come on. They are good silly fun. And the PITT gives you a ton of ammo, if you want that sorta stuff, when you finish. Mothership Zeta is silly 70's scifi fun. Op Anchorage is basically holodeck adventure. Broken Steel and Point Lookout are interesting somewhat.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

In! Never got past the first 45 min of this one.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 am In! Never got past the first 45 min of this one.
I started playing this recently for the first time. (Was looking for something "new" to play over the break). After following online guides, I was able to get it working without too much trouble. I'm not fooling with mods, so it's a pretty straight play-through. I'm about 45 mins into too, at this point.

Got out of the vault. Did the school. Entered Megaton, but haven't explored yet. Fun so far.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Wow, finally survived the supermarket. Raiders and settlers fought it out just outside the market, leaving me with almost no fighting to grab the water. But inside killed me like five or sixth times. I snuck in and got the laser pistol, but the two that charged out somehow got me every time. I can deal with raiders alone (I shoot them in the arm with VATS then in the head). I nabbed the Chinese assault rifle too. The rest was a bit iffy. Ended up saving a lot and finally killed the two raiders, only to have another three or four return just as I got through the storeroom hack. I can't reactivate the robot, or I'd send it out first. But I did manage to clear the Mart (ended up killing... 6+4+1 raiders, and a bloatfly outside). But at least, I'm now well armed, relatively speaking, and a lot of ammo.

Next quest will hopefully let me advance to level 3, which will let me put a point to REPAIR to make it 30, so I can fix the pipes in Megaton.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive done a good bit and am over at GNR but think Ill return to the Megaton area for a bit. I can kill Supermutants so that school should be no problem. I skipped it this go as I remember how much I died there my first play.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Geez lady what a hypocrite. You're sitting in a bar and drank 4 beers already and you say that?? :)

Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fantastic camo job if that's what she was going for! Her face blends in with the bottles, and the rest of her just melts into the background. If that is any indication, I see why one complaint of the game is the (lack of) color palette.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are pre war books good for something? I am using a mod that makes important books glow and the pre war ones glow as well as skill books. So far Ive found no use for them. Off to Google.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pre-War_book_(Fallout_3)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm Are pre war books good for something? I am using a mod that makes important books glow and the pre war ones glow as well as skill books. So far Ive found no use for them. Off to Google.

If I remember right there is an occasional book of value but most are pretty much worthless. Check them and if they are not "unusual" in some way toss them.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm Are pre war books good for something? I am using a mod that makes important books glow and the pre war ones glow as well as skill books. So far Ive found no use for them. Off to Google.

Per your link: "Aside from use as Rock-It Launcher ammunition, the green books are desired by the Brotherhood of Steel. Specifically, the Brotherhood Scribe Yearling ... who will give 10 XP and 100 bottle caps per book for contributing these to their archives."

Whether the XP/caps reward is good enough to bother with them is up to you, but that's why they exist.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whoops...posted that link as an edit but forgot to type EDIT.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I just toasted my game. I grew tired of the messed up body textures I was having and decided to fix it. I went in the mod manager and turned off one and reran archive then loot and tested each one at a time in game. Suddenly after about 5 tests my game refuses to load....so its dead. So Im most likely done with it. Will look at it tomorrow when Im not grumpy one last time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Turning off mods for FO/ES is one of the riskiest things you can do if you aren't extremely careful. You end up with things in your save that refer to things that no longer exist. When the game tries to load the non-existent item, it kersplodes. My own procedure for unloading a mod is to first read up on it. Read the instructions, read the comments on the Nexus. Then I divest myself of anything tied to that mod - inventory items, etc. I go into an interior area that the mod doesn't affect, and I wait for 24 hours. Then I do it again. And again. Depending on the game, eight to ten waits is usually enough that anything outside will have cleared. Then I do a hard save, exit, remove the mod, the reload my save.

And there are some mods that simply cannot be removed. At all.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was taking a closer look and think one I turned off then back on added stuff for my non there DLC and was messing up. I saw them checked and hit the wrong button just now so its going through a full uninstall instead of simply turning off those 2 parts. SIGH

EDIT: Running again...for now. Bad texture and all.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Maybe turn on one of the texture mods, then run BASH or BOSS (forgot which is which) to create the fix ESP to load after everything?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Phew. Only "died" once in clearing the Springvale School. Second try, managed to ambush most of the guys on the main floor, but someone whacked me with an axe. Fortunately I survived. Went back to Megaton to get healed up. Went back to the school, cleared upper floor, the 2nd in command hit me in the head and I was seeing double. Fortunately I did kill him and the dog. F***. Went back to Megaton again, and now Doc is charging me double. ARGH! AND I haven't cleared the bottom floor. I am NOT going back to kill the rad ants yet. Too much trouble.

-----

Decided to walk to Minefield. Met a ton of molerats and dogs on the way. And ONE raider. She's history. First approach to Minefield, I tried to go via back of houses, and blown up by a mine. Figured. Went back, slowly approach up the road. My gun's accuracy is too low to allow mine-sweeping that way (not enough ammo, and secondary explosions). I got leveled up (to 3). I tried sweeping the mines, but two of them blew up in my face. One of them also got one of the car wrecks on fire and blew up, and I got a dose of secondary radiation (I'm at 247 rads, due to a bit of misstep into the Potomac too). Now I'm am crippled in both arms AND my head. I figured I better head back to Megaton. That's 250 caps spent at the Doc in 1 day. Ouch.

EDIT: I think I bit off way more than I can chew with Minefield. I'm heading for Arefu instead.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Accidentally encountered a bunch of raiders hiding under an overpass near Arefu and got nailed. Reload!

Went straight for Arefu, had to shoot a bunch of molerats and wild boars and dogs on the way. Went by the river and had to shoot two mirelurks.

Found the house with the bodies. Decided to explore the three spots Evan King mentioned. Headed underground for Hamilton's Hideout. Shot a bunch of radscorpions and some raiders. Also killed a "Fallen Brother" (first time through, he killed me, but I had the wrong weapon out. Next time I went in with my AK-74U) a couple lucky headshots, and his Outcast armor is mine! Muahahahaha! Yes, I have power armor now! Had to take it to the workbench to be "fitted", but it works! Of course, I was like encumbered for the next X minutes as I had to slog my way back to the workbench.

I think Hamilton's hideout has a side exit underground that leads to the Family's subway station. But my carrying capacity is maxed so I have to return to Megaton to unload the loot. And Moira's still hadn't restocked her supply of caps. *sigh*

-----

Went back out, explored a bit around the area. Found Big Town, and tangled with two wandering supermutants. Fortunately neither are hard to kill, but I'm feeling a bit low on ammo (I'm down to about 80 rounds of 5.56, and Moira's not stocking any more!)

Explored the Moresti Trainyard a bit, hit a mine, hit Mirelurks, got crippled AGAIN, twice. I tried doing the FWE triage and I was able to get both arms working with medical brace and stimpak. But then I managed to hit ANOTHER mine. (ARGH!) Seems most of the caps I earn end up going to the Doc. *hahaha*

Just built my first medikit (I think this is a part of CRAFT, which is a part of FWE). I got the lawnmower blades. I need a "rake" to build the junk spear... And I'll have to figure out where the Family is really hiding. :)
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found that hideout totally useless. Im also friendly to both Brotherhood types right now.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went through Mresti station and solved the Ian problem. Arefu and the Family are now aligned.

Went through Germantown and rescued both Shorty and Red, as well as fought off the supermutant attack. Turns out Supermutants aren't that hard to kill with my AK-74. The attack on town was a letdown... The supermutants came in dribbles as some of them ended up fighting some molerats outside of town so they came in separate waves.

I'm at level 4 now. I'll heal and rest up. Tomorrow (game-time), it's time to seek out Galaxy News Radio.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whoops. I was on a quest and stumbled upon the Anchorage memorial. So who am I to pass up a place to explore? I cleared it out. Now for pt3 chapter 2 of the survival guide Im supposed to go in there...and not kill an murlocks. Well thats too late. Im considering just lying to the quest giver and not go back even to that place.

Ok...anyone know much about Little Lamplight? The first play years ago I didn't pay it much mind and rushed that area and forgot it all. But this go I already have the Child at Heart perk and decided to find it and pay attention this time. It was nowhere near where I thought it was. But I have found it and it seems pretty cool. I don't want to miss anything while here.

Other than anything cool I might want to do here Im wondering two things. Should I go bring Dogmeat here? Theres another dog named Rex and of course its all kids. Would that trigger anything? And also I need to find a home for a kid named Bryan but its supposed to be at River City with his aunt. But I have to option of talking the kids here into taking him. Not sure which is best. First time I took him to his aunts.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 pm Ok...anyone know much about Little Lamplight? The first play years ago I didn't pay it much mind and rushed that area and forgot it all. But this go I already have the Child at Heart perk and decided to find it and pay attention this time. It was nowhere near where I thought it was. But I have found it and it seems pretty cool. I don't want to miss anything while here.
Have you played Fallout 4? One of the FO4 followers hails from there. You can meet his younger version.
Spoiler:
Mayor MacReady
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Wandered into DC proper, ended up going through the Subway into Arlington Cemetery. Cleaned out the raiders in the tunnels, but they took a good chunk out of me.

Ran into Sam Warrick on the surface. Finally took him out... with a pistol. Phew. That put a good dent in me too. His sniper rifle kinda sucks, and I only have 6 shots. Not enough to clear Minefield.

Most profitable loot appears to be the uniforms/outfits. The guns are barely worth the weight. I'm down to 40 rounds for the 5.56, which means I need a different gun to hunt soon. Argh. I need my own house so I can store all this stuff, and make more ammo...

But the problem here is gun engineer perk requires small guns 60, and I didn't have small guns tagged. I was going for "natural" and I went with explosive, meds, and melee weapons. So far, explosives didn't help much, as I've been injured by explosives quite often. I can't disarm the mines in Minefield. The Germantown Police HQ mines, I can handle. But blowing apart a lock? I'm stymied.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 pm Ok...anyone know much about Little Lamplight? The first play years ago I didn't pay it much mind and rushed that area and forgot it all. But this go I already have the Child at Heart perk and decided to find it and pay attention this time. It was nowhere near where I thought it was. But I have found it and it seems pretty cool. I don't want to miss anything while here.
Have you played Fallout 4? One of the FO4 followers hails from there. You can meet his younger version.
Spoiler:
Mayor MacReady
Lol I didn't even realize that and I hired him.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Where's your mod that has all the women walking around naked? :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Me? Im using only Lings clothing mod and no one is nekkid unless I loot them :P

Roy ...geez.....should not have been so asshatty to me and my gun. :) ..

Speaking of Lings I need to go to Tenpenny and buy some clothing. Ya know the only companion I have is Dogmeat and I stopped taking him with me due to deaths. I forgot who can be a companion lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here I am in my James Bond Tux, Havana cigar, mini nuke earring, and pimp hat. Its tough being a gun for hire....not.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lolz. I was running around in a simulation during a quest and took a clothing item and decided to try it on. When I pulled up my pipboy this is it..a watch I cant use...and Im a kid..weeee.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ooops and a haha!

I think I may have either messed the main line quest up or shortened it by accident. That sim I stumbled into seems part of the dad quest and from the dialog with him it seems like Im supposed to know more than Ive seen so far. Im going to have to look up the main line quest and see if thats so.

And I followed dad outside and man he has like 0 luck skill hahaha. Right out the door dear old dad ran into a scorpion and then a molerat. As he is finishing them off a raider shoots him and knocks his gun out of his hand. So he's running around and finds a dead raider and grabs that gun. Right as he seems home free by killing the raider on him a robot spots him and miniguns dad and then rockets him. I think oh no dad died but he is unconcious. I guess he needs to stay alive to walk across the map to where he said he was going..and the robot knocks him out again...and again hahaha. I was dying laughing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, I cleaned out Anchorage Memorial but I didn't go to the bottom and clear all the mirelurks. I killed most of them, including a king though. Found a workbench there. Dumped all the bodies into the bottom via convenient holes in the floor. Explored the rest, found bodies and looted all of it. Made a junk knife, not worth the trouble. Where the heck do I find a rake to make a junk spear? I want a longer range weapon that doesn't use ammo, darn it!

Also cleared out "Hotel Malice", that little hideout under the collapsed bridge. Those raiders are annoying and one of them gave me a concussion (crippled head), but I killed them. Found the unique lazer Wattz 1000 there. I'm keeping this one rather than the plain laser pistol. I can see the Brotherhood fortress ahead, but I'm wearing Outcast armor so I'm not heading that way just yet.

Noticed I can make my own medical braces and surgical tubing out of stuff now via the workbench, could come in handy later. I'm trying to remember where did I cache my loot. Hahaha. There's a stash in Anchorage Memorial and a smaller one at Hotel Malice. I think I may have one inside the school, and If I want to I can go back and take all the mines off Germantown Police HQ. :) That should earn me some more caps.

Also, just realized I should tell Simms about Burke and save Simms, then disarm the bomb. I need the permanent storage! :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why aren't you using your house in Megaton for storage? Its easy to get.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:53 am Why aren't you using your house in Megaton for storage? Its easy to get.
As I said, I kinda forgot to defuse that bomb. :) That's my next quest.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Megaton's defused, and Burkes is toast. Shot him in the head just as he pulled out the Silenced 10mm. Got my house.

I wanted my own Infirmary, but apparently it costs almost 2000 caps from Moira. Right now I have 600, and every bit of hurt means I have to pay another 100 to the doc. ARGH! (And stimpaks)

Went back to Springvale School and Germantown Police HQ to grab more loot left behind last time. I may go back into the Anchorage Memorial and Hotel Malice for my stash there. With my house for permanent storage my carrying capacity is now 100+.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't tell Simms about Burke so when I disarmed the bomb he was simply gone. he is not at Tenpenny either.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:09 pm I didn't tell Simms about Burke so when I disarmed the bomb he was simply gone. he is not at Tenpenny either.
Yeah, we'll have to watch out for Talon Company ambushes later. Burkes put out a contract on the Lone Wanderer.