[Oldies] Fallout 3 replay for 2018!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: [Oldies] Fallout 3 replay for 2018!

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished Survival Guide Chapter 2 for Moira. It's bashing mole rats and disarming mines (ran into some raiders down there), and cleaning out Anchorage ahead of the quest to not kill anything. I want to find that secret stash, but my repair / lockpick ain't high enough. It'll have to wait. :) Oh, and for the hurt, I just started jumping off the ramps. Ouch.

I like the PMP system, as you can also find random people who can teach you some skills for caps. It'd be like reading a book, but if you got too many caps burning a hole in your virtual wallet, doesn't hurt to talk to everybody, some may give you training. I ran into a couple ghouls on the east bank of Potomac and they actually have skills to teach. Wow. As do some people in Megaton, like Walt, that water engineer guy.

Even with backpack, my carrying capacity is limited and the loot's limited too. 100 lb of loot isn't that much. when repairing a gun or armor takes a couple hundred caps. I should go level up a bit more, I guess. I'll go explore a bit, as I cleaned out Springvale school. I kinda forgot the clear the back of it and was surprised by a couple raiders. Haha. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh, I picked up Dogmeat a little while back when I walked through Scrapyard, and I found that hidden stash mentioned in the random quest in addition to the normal loot when Dogmeat took out the raiders.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I found out I need to download Blackened's EVE+PB merge patch, as I don't use FWE any more. Let's hope that fixes my problems.

I've also redownloaded CRAFT and CALIBR as somehow my craft table is messed up. When I activate it, it goes into a black screen and I can't do anything.

EDIT: Reinstalled CRAFT fixed the table. We'll see if that solves the texture problems too.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always mod my inv weight in games of this type. I HATE walking back and forth a lot or making it a inventory juggling sim. In FO3 I made my weight 5200 lbs and it was perfect. Didn't get heavy until end game. And I never got rich off it. By the end I had 12,000 caps . You dont even need a mod..just use the console and change the weight.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Actually, this is far LESS of a problem in the vanilla game. I can loot 3-4 guns off the talon mercs or raiders or muties, and I can mutual repair them to reasonable conditions, which eliminated the duplicates and improves caps /weight density. :) With one gun worth 1000 caps, it's not a major problem. This is a serious problem in FWE when guns are as cheap as armor, like 20-40 or even 100.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For grins, I'm going to fictionalize my travels in FO3 in this playthrough on a blog.

https://theotherwandererfo3.blogspot.com/

Just one entry so far. More will come.

-----

Texture problem is still unresolved.

Went through Vault 106. It's messy in there. Cleaned out Hamilton's and heading toward Arefu. And cleaned out various Raider hideouts along the way. Just got to Arefu and will be heading to Mrestis next.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Uncle Owen and Roger Wilco...hmmmmm I think Ive met them.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The texture problem is still happening, but only with the sniper rifle. I don't care any more. I just stopped using it. It's not doing that well any way.

I went west from Hamilton's Hideaway to Arefu, to Northwest Seneca Station (got buckwacked by Talon mercs there, that's the first adventure in the blog). Actually went west all the way to MDPL Mass Relay (cleared it of raiders), then came back east, to Hallowed Moors Cemetery (it's full of muties). The overlord there has a laser gatling. Fortunately, I took one of the perks that allowed me to pick up an Outcast power armor set earlier and wear it a bit early. That, and hiding behind a tree (in real life, the laser would have chewed up the tree). I keep throwing grenades at it until Dogmeat chewed its nuts off. Used like 10.

Continued to clear the area of raiders, and just arrived at Mresti Trainyards. Need to meet the Family.

Once I got Arefu worked out, it's time to visit Big Town and German town. I'm a little short on 5.56 ammo so I'll need to find some gunpowder and make some 5.56 ammo. The merchant at Mresti is too hard to get to.

Then it may be time to visit Grayditch and put an end to the fireant problem there.

And the freeze-up problem is back. Darn it. I was picking up a mine in the Mresti train tunnel when it just froze up on me.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Turns out there are additional bugs that are not fixed by the Unofficial Patch (and obviously, there are patches for that!)

I added a couple more minor patches.

* Patch to add a few more lockers and containers to my Megaton house
* Patch that added an overhead walkway to Megaton that lets you walk over to Craterside without going down then up again
* Patch that added more caps to the vendors in the game, based on your level
* Patch that fixed the reward for the unmarked quest in Rivet City regarding the city council seat.
* Patch that fixed up some DC Street orientation
* Patch that removed a mutie that causes glitch between Jefferson and Rivet city
* Patch that added junked robots to Big Town referred to in the dialog but not in the game
* Patch that realigned the interior to match the exterior (the exterior says east-west, but when you walk inside, the ship is oriented north south!)
* Patch that removed two spawn points next to Regulators HQ (so brahmins don't keep dying left and right)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I updated my Codec Tools because I noticed when I tried to endtask Fallout 3 (when it froze) somehow has the icon for the LAV Splitter, which is a sound tool. And it happens that CodecGuide has an update for the codec pack standard version. I was at least one major revision behind, with LAV splitter being one of the items updated.

Went back in and played "Blood Ties" scenario all the way through without a single hiccup. Was able to convince Vance to let me talk to Ian, and convince Ian to go home, as well as negotiate that Arefu donate blood for Famiily's protection. Haven't seen Alan in the new guard hut though. And I've yet to find Lucy West for my reward. (Did these vamps have glowing eyes? They do in the setup I'm running).

Found it interesting that in the PMP training, all of the Family are trainers with ability in small arms and sneak, and one other thing I forgot. I can use a bit more training in small guns and energy weapons. :) But training is quite expensive. The default formula is if you're at skill 50, it will cost you 500 caps to train up another point. And so on and so forth. And there doesn't seem to be enough caps in the Wastes unless you cheat a bit and give yourself or the vendors extra caps. Guess I should go trade in my fingers. I have like 40+, but that's only 5 caps each.

Oh, I don't know who's at Grey Ditch, but someone from Grayditch showed up all the way at Northwest Seneca or near it and asked for help. Well, maybe AFTER Germantown. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had Bryan the kid run up to me at Super Duper Mart for Greyditch.

I wondered about that council quest at Rivet City. I could have done it...wasn't marked...but I got the info to do it. Passed.

Not sure why you needed a patch for the robots at Big Town. They are part of the quest there and only are clickable and work if you choose one of 3 paths for the settlers there.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The Other Wanderer blog has been updated to include death of Burke (and saving Simms).

Next entry will be about clearing out Springvale School.

I had scavenged a military checkpoint and found like 11 missiles (but no launcher). I used my engineering to take apart the missiles and make gunpowder and stuff, and was able to make like over 100 rounds of 5.56, and still have stuff left over. Now I have enough 5.56 ammo.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went through Germantown and rescued both Red and Shorty. With the Dog Pack help brought back a bit more loot than usual. The problem is the merchants don't have the caps to buy it all from me. I think I will need to apply the "extra caps" patch. Right now they don't even have enough caps to buy ONE gun from me, yet I need like 4000 (!) caps to repair my power armor, and I can't accumulate 4000 caps if they barely have 600 caps. This is a side effect of doing the "wasteland trainer" thing where the caps don't necessarily go back to the merchant.

Took Red and Shorty back to Big Town. Had to take out a Mutie and a Mutie master on the way. I got close and ambushed them both with grenades. It was beautiful. I wish I can tweak the slow-mo kill cam a bit. FWE's settings on the kill cam was good, with it tracking the flight of the bullet and the kills. Somehow the camera now was like PG, showing only the aftermath of the kill.

Fixed up the robots to help them defend. Both robots died in the attack. It was pretty hilarious. Then I got hit by a grenade then it's not so hilarious (that's where most of my damage to armor came from, I think). But in the end, only two muties made it through and they died quickly.

Time for me to started heading east, I think. I should be getting to Rivet City, though exploring downtown helps too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never went to Germantown so I dont know who red and shorty are. In fact I got the perk to see all locations on the map and I got tired and just finished the game and left about 1/4 or more places unexplored. I left all the top middle to top left open.

I did the robots and yep they died. Went back and did it by training the townsfolk. yep they died. 3 times. Finally we won.

Later I met a merchant way up north near the deathclaw town that was headed down there to sell them guns.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

IMHO the only way to make sure the town folks survive is to plant a minefield yourself. You know ROUGHLY where the muties are going to come from, (facing the bridge from inside, they'd come from the "right") so drop mines along that route, and esp. on the bridge. 10-20 mines out to do it, or at least whittle them down enough that you can headshot the rest. I haven't tried letting them set a minefield, but I planted about 8 mines from outside to on the bridge itself. Only two muties made it through and I was able to shoot them pretty quickly.

-----

Went through the sewer mains to the north of Grayditch. I was on the way to "The Rare Find", that vendor on the crossover. Ended up all the way to Malice Hotel, just north of the Citadel. Somehow the ghouls are not balanced quite right. The FEV's are easy to kill, but the Reavers are next to impossible (it's as if they have 10x more hitpoints). Normal headshots don't work on them, and they do a TON of damage up close. I swear a couple hits and I'm down to half HP. I am more scared of those than mutie masters. I know mutie masters go down, but these reavers move fast AND hit hard, AND don't go down easily. Even Dogmeat, who's usually death on unarmored folks, was knocked over twice. I swear I used like 10-12 stimpaks to kill one reaver.

I did eventually find The Rare Find, and I cleared out "Outpost" which seems to be a couple hostile ghouls. No finger though. Hmmm... I took out a couple fireants from above. Next I'm heading into Grayditch proper. Seems hunting rifle will do the trick... for now. Three shots to the head, unless I get a critical hit, will kill a soldier ant.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used miens too but there was this one mutie that always tossed a grenade into town from the other side of the bridge. I finally just went out and killed them on the road as they came to town.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Cleared Greyditch with hunting rifle alone. At most, the ant needs 3 shots, and Dogmeat is no worse for wear after getting singed time after time.

Went into the tunnels and actually made my way all the way to Fall Church Metro. Even cleared it of all mutie presence (there's like 6-7). Had to switch to my assault rifle, but it's not a huge deal. I'm repairing all weapons and armor I got, which adds to my repair skill. :) They're just using hunting rifles. Decided I'm not exploring Falls Church just yet. Turned back and headed back into the tunnels and explored south. Explored the station and found Grady's Last Message. Explored all branches of the tunnels, found this off shoot with naughty nightwear hidden there. A guy named Lug-Nut approached me and demanded it. I was gonna negotiate, and he started shooting. Except I'm in armor, and he's not. One shot in the head and he's toast. Continued and found the Ant Doc Dr. Laske. Got the quest to kill the nest guardians. They don't seem to be any tougher than regular soldier ants... I killed them with the same three shots to the head. Any way, killed all five. Snuck back. Why is Dogmeat growling? Looked behind me... The queen's behind me! As I can't kill her, I ran for the exit and dog whistled Dogmeat to join me. Walked up to the doc and demanded my reward. I chose Ant Might as I chose STR 5 for this run, and my PER is already at 7. As for if he can reach the nest... Well, that's his problem.

Went back to the surface and went to Greyditch, got the kid out of the shelter. Now I can head to Rivet City...

EDIT: Oh, wait, I found Brandice's key. He's laid out in one of the side corridors in wasteland doctor's outfit. I'll have to go back to Brandice house in Greyditch to see what's in his footlocker.

Sidenote: Day 2 of "The Other Wanderer" blog is complete. Mod setup has been updated. Covered clearing of Springvale School. Previous adventures include Regulators, Wheaton Armory, Bethesda East and West, reaching Megaton, and saving Lucas Simms. Day 3 is done. Day 4 outline is done.

EDIT: Got Brandice's footlocker... It's a missile launcher and some missiles.

Went west, to Military Checkpoint #3. Killed two Sentry Bots. My .32 hunting rifle isn't doing enough damage and they have lasers and missiles. But I think the salvage list is goofed up as they have 5mm rounds and missiles for salvage. I shot two missiles at one and use the assault rifle on the other.

An Outcasts patrol came by, except it's just one guy. Those patrols should be three guys. Hmmm... Did they got nailed or what? Too bad I don't see bodies or I could salvage some armor. I need it. I don't want to kill him either.

The vendor cap patch backfired. There's a bug in FO3 that if you give vendors more than 30K in caps, and sell them stuff, you actually won't get any caps. Apparently it's a situation about overflow capping handling. Crap. I'll have to try a different one.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went to Falls Church and started exploring the buildings.

Found BOS dead and Muties dead. Stripped BOS bodies of their holotag and power armor and helmet. Finally, some decent armor! (My Outcast Power Armor is really ratty by now, and repairs cost more caps than I ever had)

Found some fountain with 2 muties standing next to it. Snuck close enough and tossed them two grenades. KABOOM! Must be a critical hit because both went flying shedding limbs. Too bad there's nearly no loot.

Went and found a playground, and a mutie searching, but won't take a hint. Grenade and assault rifle took care of him.

Another mutie was upstairs in the ruins. First grenade missed. Second grenade got him though, sent him off the perch and crashed below.

Explored an office building to the south, again, BOS and muties dead. Stripped them all and ended up with an extra set of BOS power armor I can use to repair my own later.

Saw LOB enteprrises to the east. It's one big building and patrolled by a load of Mr. Gutsy and Sentry Bots (with one Protectron). Used mostly grenades to take them down. There are like three areas: main building, "archive section", and finally, "east wing". Was able to find a unique pistol... Apparently this Chinese pistol also sets the target on fire. Interesting! And salvaged a ton of scrap metal, batteries, flamer fuel, and whatnot. But no actual weapons except the misc pistols and whatnot salvaged from employees. Apparently the HR policy of this company requires employees to barricade themselves against Feds since they are apparently collaborating with Chinese military. Hehehe. That explains the unique CHinese pistol on the CEO's desk in a locked box.

I had to download a different vendor caps patch. The one that gave 30000 just didn't work at all. I downloaded one that's more conservative... 5X caps what it had before. Now each vendor has 1000-2000 caps, and I only have access to two, Moira and The Rare Find. (Karl at the Family is too hard to get to, unless there's an exit at Mresti I hadn't seen before).

Anyway... also explored to the west a bit. I think I was at Northwest Seneca, wanting to explore near Arefu. I ended up near some sort of Ghoul Shanty town that's not marked. I decided not to engage them despite they coming up marked as hostile. I already killed a deathclaw with a grenade.

I was using so many grenades I had like 30+ before I started. I'm down to less than 10. And I didn't even use the big ones like Nuka Grenade or "DaBomb".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can sell anything to the bar and the doc and the food shop in Megaton also for caps.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

So many buildings around Falls Church Metro to explore. I think I want to visit Hubris comics next.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 pm You can sell anything to the bar and the doc and the food shop in Megaton also for caps.
They have even fewer caps than Moira.

In my vanilla game, a full set of talon combat armor is like 1500 (70% condition), and similar price for a nicely repaired assault rifle. Doc, Gob, and Brass Lantern usually only have like 500-800 caps each.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm. I get the trouble though. By the end of my game I was selling stuff past what they could pay to get rid of it. But I was at the end of the game.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, went to Falls Church, explored a bit more, found a mostly empty building to the south except a couple muties. Grenade took them out.

With through the metro for exploring further north. Where Raiders fought ghouls, bodies all over the place. One guy left in a diner. He ain't friendly though. Killed him. Got to Arlington Cemetery south.

Went through cemetery and Arlington House, killed a big guy by the name of Junders Blunkett. He had a unique finger. Went north a bit, found a dead regulator with a bounty notice on Blunkett! Apparently, his finger is worth 1000 caps, not the regular 10, thanks to the bounty put up by Canterbury Commons. (Apparently he only spawns for folks with Lawbringer Perk)

Cleared Mama Dolce's which is right next to Arlington South, nabbed so many Chinese assault rifles it ain't funny. Found a M60 (yes, the HMG, even though it counts as small guns here) firing 7.62 NATO. I didn't have a lot of those, and CRAFT didn't let me make those. Hmmm... I may have to stick with assault rifle a bit more. (It was apparently added by the Custom Beginnings mod, like Wanda.) I have only 100 rounds of 7.62 and if I can't make more, I'm not using it much. I check earlier. I have over 800 rounds of 5.56, enough for a couple day's worth of operations.

Had to fight a couple more Talon goons. Meh, they're no problem.

Got to Hubris comics, cleared the first zone. I could have swore I did this area before... Did I came through the flooded tunnels or something?

Decided to save the rest for later and went back to Megaton for a bit of R&R.

----

With the extra containers in the Megaton house mod, I designated one container for the "surplus" I can sell. I ran over to Moiras and she's out of caps. Sold a bunch to Gob already. The bin is almost overflowing (metaphorically) as it contains well over 10000 caps of stuff (several lasers, assault rifles, armor, and much much more)

I need more grenades, and the built-in recipe requires a motorcycle handbrake (!) and those aren't exactly easy to find.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am BUYING my grenades from now on. I don't have enough parts to make them, even with DCinterior's extra shops like that motorcycle store. (Found 12-13 handbrakes there) I have way too much loot any way.

I cleared my way around Falls Church North, east, and all the way into Mason District South. DCinterior mod did a great job adding some stores to this area. There's even DC 15th District Police Station. There's a "hard" locked door I can't get past yet in this station. They also added a bank, and a lot of 'safe deposit box' for you to practice lockpicking. Hahahahaha. :)

After clearing that area completely, decided I really *should* head to Rivet City. I've been to Tepid Swers for Moira's molerat thing, so I starte dthere and followed the coast. Cleared a raider camp there on water's edge. I decided to bring up my energy weapons by using only laser rifle. Killed all raiders with it too. Walked all the way to the bridge at Malice Hotel (Citadel is on the other side) I knew there are two muties watching the bridge from their little skybridge. I end-run them and was able to come at them from their back, but I can't shoot them... wrong angle. Fortunately, it seems there's a mod that added an access door that let you walk up to them and shoot them, which I did.

Continued to the Supermutant Camp across from the purifier. Again, I was able to laser two of them to death with 3 shots to the head each. There's a third one inside the camp, but he ate a grenade. Freed the captive, nabbed all the ammo (more than a few missiles), and it's time to walk to Rivet City. I think that's the 3rd or 4th captive I've freed. (And there's a perk that lets me do extra 5% damage on muties per captive rescued!)

I finally got to Rivet City so I can unload my loot there, with multiple shops to dump loot. Somehow, Vera was NOT at her place. Something tinkered with the "patrol order" for the regular characters. Store owners are not supposed to be wandering the ship, yet they are with this mod. I tried waiting at Weatherly's for a whole day, she never came back. I made a run to the market and found her in the corridor. FINALLY finished THOSE! and got a home for young Wilks. I found Bannon on the center staircase when he's supposed to be at his shop. I found Flak (part of Flak and Shrapnel) at the ship's entrance at the gangway.

Observed another bug, or at least, unexpected. I rented a room at Weatherly's. I was sleeping for 8 hours when that Railroad girl barged in and blabbed about why was I investigating that android. I haven't even talked to Dr. Li and Zimmer yet. Hahahahaha. I swore I only slept for like 2 hours. Apparently my door isn't locked, unlike everybody else's.

The dialog from there is same as the original campaign. Dr. Li still addresses you as James' son. I also talked to Zimmer so I got multiple quests going on. I want to investigate the true origins of Rivet City... AND get A3-21's plasma rifle. I want to play both sides. Guess it can wait a little.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Holy ****. Someone wrote an encyclopedia entry on how to mod FO3.

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Kelmych/Fallout3

It even explains how to perform FURTHER mods of mods by removing some files and change some settings.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to explore NORTH ward from Tepid Sewers, and got to Dupont station, Chevy Chase, all the way to Friendship Heights. Near Tepid Sewers, there was a "hunter group" that suddenly turned hostile on me. Killed them. Seems they are selling "strange meat". :)
Spoiler:
human flesh
Took out two raiders, then muties on the opposite bank started firing on us with miniguns and missiles. That was messy. :) Had to pull out the sniper rifle. I was trying to get to Galaxy News Radio.

Had to explore the underground quite a bit and got lost around Georgetown or so. Explored all the way to Tenley/Friendship Heights before deciding I went too far and backtracked underground. Grenading ghouls are fun, but grenading muties are better. A lot of the wastelanders don't scowl as you fight them, but at least the muties are always scowling. :) Best are the two-for-one grenade specials.

Anyway, made it through the ruins, followed the path that Lyon's pride WOULD have taken had they were around. (in the original story, when you run into them, they escort you to GNR) Instead, I did it all on my own, killed 5-6 muties on the way, then 5 mutie masters in the GNR plaza. At least there was no behemoth this time. :) (I guess in the lore Lone Wanderer and Lyon's pride took it out). One of the mutie masters has a tri-beam laser rifle. The bad part is I can't fix it by myself... I can use it to fix a regular laser rifle, the vice versa won't work. Guess it'd have to be a merchant repair. I need a bit more energy weapon practice. :) My small guns are raised quite well, and my energy weapon proficiency is way up. I may need to practice a bit with the laser pistol too, until I get a plasma weapon or something.

Promised Three Dog I'd go check the museum of technology for his dish. So, I will.

Oh, and I also promised Abraham Washing in Rivet City (preservation society) I'd go for a copy of the Constitution. :)
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Save all the strange meat you get for Little Lamplight.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 pm Save all the strange meat you get for Little Lamplight.
Speaking of which, I just made a correction to the Wikia Nukapedia. Somehow Strange Meat did not have a "related quest", so I added that quest.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided I want unique guns. :) I remember there's a sniper at Dickerson Tabernacle Chapel with Reservist's Rifle held by "the Drifter" to the northwest of Arefu. So I went north and west from there, then north to Roosevelt Academy. That's a sad place, lots of kid's skeletons and Muties, so many empty classrooms, and the tunnels told a story too, desperate plans to blockade a certain passage, and the kids basically died there, not daring to move.

Went north the Faded Pomp, northeast to Silver Lining Drive In, then Northwest to WKML Broadcast. It's empty. Next I see the church in the distance, and that's my target. I snuck in behind cover. I have a .308 sniper rifle. I shot the rifle out of that guy's hands with VATS, then I put a shot into him freehand. I can't quite find his body in the rafters. I don't see his body outside either. THEN I found him hanging by his feet upside down on the outside. I was able to repair his gun with my existing sniper rifle (if you shot the weapon out of the other guy's hand, that weapon condition is ZERO) It's very good for one shot critical kills, esp. if you have other better critical perks. I think I freehand shot a Yao Guai with one shot once (scope only, real-time, no VATS).

Decided with this sniper rifle I should go do Three Dog's quest about that dish. So I went to Rivet CIty, then north to the subway entrance when something clanked off my armor. WTF? I hit VATS and scanned... throwing knife?!?!?! then I found the Talon goons. Idiots! I had my tribeam laser armed and I started shooting. Moments later, it's all over, with Dogmeat getting one of the kills. Stripped them and combined their stuff. Then it's into the metro.

Fought my way through the metro infested with raiders. Killed them, then walked through to the museum exit. Fought a couple more raiders, then they ran off so fast I'm not even sure where they died as Dogmeat chased them all over the place.

Walked up to the Mall, and multiple muties attacked. One of them kept lobbing missiles at me, but it kept hitting the subway entrance overhead cover, but I can shoot him through the gap. But I kept engaging the muties rushing me with melee weapons. Another tried to shoot me with a minigun from afar, but my gun was more accurate than his.

By this time my loot is 90% full, including Dogmeat's pack. I went into Museum of Technology and engaged the muties on the ground floor. The initial grenade barrage killed one, but also knocked me flat, which gave the muties a chance to close in. I loaded myself on chems (jet, med-x, psycho, buffout) and the extra AP means I was able to put two bursts into each mutie's head and still able to engage a third. They went down in seconds. That loot means I am full up, so I decided I should head back and unload my loot.

I went to Rare Find (that merchant on a bridge near Greyditch) he only had 1200 caps, enough for ONE weapon, and it wasn't even that well repaired. I think I have to use the "15x" caps patch instead, if I really want to unload all the loot, as my "loot bin" has way too many items in it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Talon guys are only good for loot. They are annoying.

I found myself wishing the planetarium actually worked and did a show. Wanted to relax there after all the killing in that place .Alas it was not to be.

Here is a list of uniques in FO3 http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_unique_weapons

I used a scoped 44 and a combat shotgun almost exclusively for the first half of the game. I used the Wazer Wifle a little but I didn't care for it. I then switched my scoped 44 out for the Blackhawk I got from Agatha. That is a beast of a pistol. Then I quit all the rest and paired Blackhawk with the A3-21 Plasma Rifle from Rivet City. Those two were perfect. Used the 44 until I either ran out of ammo or wanted stuff to die faster or stuff was too strong for it. The plasma ate through everyone and everything in 1 or 2 shots.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went through Museum of Tech, nabbed the dish, and took out all the muties inside. The way the muties spawned inside the planetarium was stupid. I mined the passage way leading into the planetarium but they spawned inside, thus never triggering the mines! ARGH! Cheating! (Or did I mine the wrong corridor? I doubt it!)

Found the unmarked quest "Jigg's Loot". Opened the safe with bonus loot, and I may be able to meet prime, if I find that location.

Installed the dish at Washington Monument.

Went by Museum of History, met WIllow, and visited Underworld, and met Riley of Riley's Rangers, but she's unconscious. That's an unmarked quest, I guess. My med is high enough I may risk it... :)

Found National Archive, but decided I want to visit more downtown first. In fact, I may just shoot all the slavers at Lincoln Memorial myself. Though I haven't killed anyone at Paradise Falls this time around... yet.

I think I found the problem with the weird texture problem of my sniper rifle. The "casing" 3D model is missing from my setup. I think when I tried to uninstall something earlier, probably WMK (Weapons Mod Kit, builds extra stuff onto the weapons like extended mag, scope, etc.) may have deleted some original game assets. Argh!

Just spent most of my caps on some remedial training. Need some more caps, even though I have PLENTY of **** to sell. May have to take it to Rivet City. Current skills list is as follows. Note I'm having a little Pip-boy icon problem at this time. One of the menu supports isn't working right.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sell sleep 24 hours sell sleep 24 hour sell.....
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Money is supposed to be scarce. Nobody has money because everybody is supposed to be poor. The intention was that people barter for what they need - trade that piece of unusable armor for a few caps, some ammo, and a stimpack - rather than just selling everything to the bank.

You don't have to play that way, but it requires either modding the game to work differently or exploiting the money respawn.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:43 am Money is supposed to be scarce. Nobody has money because everybody is supposed to be poor. The intention was that people barter for what they need - trade that piece of unusable armor for a few caps, some ammo, and a stimpack - rather than just selling everything to the bank.
You don't have to play that way, but it requires either modding the game to work differently or exploiting the money respawn.
I did. I installed at least one mod that's supposed to give me more caps at the vendors. It's not quite working or working right, not sure which is which. This vendor caps thing is quite complicated mechanic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did you add any other mods that alter merchants? Are you using a bashed patch?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:30 pm Did you add any other mods that alter merchants? Are you using a bashed patch?
Yeah, I have two that's modifying merchants, probably fought over each other too. *sigh*

My loadorder is here:

http://theotherwandererfo3.blogspot.com ... mods.html

Day 4 Part 1 is up
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It has been way too long since I've set up Fallout 3, but usually it is the bashed patch that solves that particular type of conflict. Is there any reason, by the way, that you have two different increased caps mods? Vendors More Caps - Lore Friendly.esp and VendorCapsIncreased10X.esp?

As an aside, have you waited for at least 3 days for the vendor caps to reset?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

No particular reason I have both, mainly I fear removing one may make the savegame unstable. They shouldn't step over each other. I thought I saw a bit more caps at The Rare Find (that merchant to the south) but Moira doesn't seem to have enough. :) And yes, I know to wait three days. I often explore outside a lot more than that. I think timescale was set to 30 (1 minute realtime = 30 minutes game time) and I play hours at a time, plus in-game sleep time.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to go back to the Mall, then explore the subways. Eded up next to the White House, and helped the BOS guys take out a Mutie attack. Such surly guys (I was wearing BOS armor too, but it's still "get lost, Wastelander") I headshotted two muties off of them.

Went inside a gentleman's club? I think it's added by DCInteriors. Argh! The Mutie Master has a tribeam, and those have bonus damage against me, the player. And the sniper rifle isn't doing enough damage to them. I ended up abusing stims and grenades. Knocked myself flat a couple times (and got Dogmeat a few times too, but he's marked essential and can't die, hahaha).

Went north a bit, killed a few more muties. I think I got all the way to Penn Ave North. Found this Mutie Master w/ Missile launcher sitting in a corner balcony. Can't get to him with regular weapons. I thought I can snipe him, but I can't get a critical hit on the mutie. Ended up hiding in a bus shelter, let it take the hits, as I slide out and take shots and slide back in. Ended up pinging the mutie to death with .308s. Should have aimmed at the missile launcher first. Once I destroyed that he's weaponless.

Found a hidden alcove nearby overlooking the parking lot with some traps. Disarmed them and headed up... into a nice little sniper's nest... a dead raider with two sniper rifles. Seems he tried the same idea with the mutie and lost against the missile launcher. Hehehe.

Continued exploring subways. Got to Metro Central. Saw a glowing one... decided to not take any chances... I used two missiles on it. Yes, missiles. WAY overkill, but it was fun. Then grenaded molerats and more ghouls. Explored a bit more and ended up back at museum station. Got enough loot so went back home.

Next run will be to Jury Street Metro. I have completed the unmarked quest Jigg's Loot by guessing the prime numbers, so I know he'll be at Jury St. Station. I want that unique Chinese assault rifle. :)

Then it'd be back to Rivet City. I've yet to complete the quest for Moira.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Found Jiggs dead at the Jury Street Diner. Guess he wasn't quite careful in checking the area... It's full of muties and using the place for... food prep. The Xuanlong Chinese assault rifle is potent alright, almost 50% more powerful than Wanda, the unique version of the regular assault rifle, and a larger magazine too. Killed many muties in the area, and beat off a Talon merc attack too (by killing all attackers, of course)

Found the sewers, the radio tower, and the radio signal. Found the special basement too. Raiders basically killed the refugees hiding there and took it over. Oh well. Explored the few abandoned houses in the area, not much to loot.

Cleared the area, then went to Rivet city to dump loot. Didn't get any of the hidden quests there about helping one guy or the other. Didn't really care that much. I can already build the railway rifle. Those merchants have up to 2000 caps so they can afford some of my more exotic stuff, like a 80% repaired assault rifle, for example.

After it's all done for, I don't want Dogmeat to take a swim with me (to find Pinkerton) so I told him to go home (to Megaton) with the loot I couldn't carry. Swam, killed two Mierlurks, and walked up to Pinkerton after tossing a grenade into the room to clear the gas in the antechamber. Got the evidence about Harkness and the history for Moira. Wanted both rewards, so I activated Harkness, and he gave me permission to take out Zimmer and Armitage. So I walked down to science lab, gave up Harkness's identity, got the wired reflex perk. As they started walking off, I pulled my Xuanlong and put two bursts into each of their heads. I looted their keys and found their quarters (on the same level as Weatherly Hotel) but there ain't much there. And somehow, taking stuff from there still counts as stealing and incurs karma loss.

Went to Seward Square and cleared houses there. Took out several supermutants and Talon mercs. Cleared each of the shops and houses (mostly from DCInterior mod). Haven't taken out the crazy preacher just yet.

I'm full on loot so I headed back to Megaton. I am probably going to wake up Reilly in the Underworld, then rescue her team by going to Vernon square fight my way through the hospital, then across to the hotel. Then it's onward to the library (for Moira), then maybe National Archive, and Lincoln Memorial.

Then I'll go to Jefferson Memorial and continue the main quest line.