Two Point Hospital (Theme Hospital Successor)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rip

Two Point Hospital (Theme Hospital Successor)

Post by Rip »

http://www.pcgamer.com/two-point-hospit ... -creators/
Announced this week, Two Point Hospital is a new management sim from the creators of Theme Hospital. Its developer, Two Point Studios, is comprised of Bullfrog and Lionhead veterans, and while playing up to nostalgia promises a "completely new game" in its own right.

It's been 21 years since the beleaguered patients of Theme Hospital were first diagnosed with Bloaty Heads, Third Degree Sideburns, Slack Tongues and worse. I caught up Two Point Studios to find out what's changed in that time, and what the future holds for the devs' debut venture.

OOpps wrong forum, please move.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Daehawk

Re: Two Point Hospital (Theme Hospital Successor)

Post by Daehawk »

Other than the roller coaster ones Theme Hospital is my all time favorite sim game of that type. So ya Id love this one. I was laughing at the video when Trevor died and they got his light back on hahaha.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Soooooo, so in, no matter my backlog.

Theme Hospital is one of the very few games whose shortcut I maintain on my desktop on a constant basis.

:pop: :horse: :dance: :dance:

But "Fall 2018"!? :(
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moved to PC Gaming.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have a friend who still plays Theme Hospital, so Two Point Hospital is already on her wishlist.
Rip

Post by Rip »

naednek

Post by naednek »

August 30th is the date.

you can preorder now. Steam has it for 10% off, or even better, fanatical.com has it for 20% off. Retail is $34.99. Fanatical has it for $27.99 after the 20% discount.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn, it's cutting close to our Fall vacation with that August 30th date. Still, I'll probably get it on release day anyway, because I'm weak :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lionhead
Everything I click on is using this a selling point. Lionhead was formed to go back and make a spiritual successor to Populous in [black and White. I gladly paid $60 for that game at release on all of those promises. And that will forever be remembered as one of the chief games leading to the PC Gaming Dark Ages. I can't see that being a selling point, even if they later created games that other OOers loved.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/two-po ... nsactions#
Two Point Hospital will only get "substantial" DLC expansions, no microtransactions
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I went ahead and pre-ordered this, since pre-load is available and it will unlock at 1am Thursday for me and I'm usually still up by then. It's a 1.5GB download which isn't a big deal and the 10% Steam discount is good till September 5th, so the rest of you can wait if you want and look for my first impressions. Fair warning, I never played Theme Hospital so there's no point in asking me for comparisons. I'll be looking at it with fresh, if somewhat drowsy, eyes.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've watched an hour or so of gameplay and it is very much an updated skin on theme hospital. I loved theme hospital, but now it sort of reminds me of facebook or tablet games like farmville, a fairly light management sim with cutesy graphics and punny humor. It was cute and fresh when Bullfrog did it. Now it's just a formula. I'll probably end up getting it eventually, but at a (in)decent discount.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:03 am I've watched an hour or so of gameplay and it is very much an updated skin on theme hospital. I loved theme hospital, but now it sort of reminds me of facebook or tablet games like farmville, a fairly light management sim with cutesy graphics and punny humor. It was cute and fresh when Bullfrog did it. Now it's just a formula. I'll probably end up getting it eventually, but at a (in)decent discount.
I'm OK with it being a management sim with humor, although I'll keep an eye on and report how light the management is. I've never played Farmville, but I've heard enough about it to appreciate your comment. I could use a management game that's less intensive than, say, Prison Architect. I want something that won't bite me in the ass if my play style isn't laser beam focused.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Waiting for you guys to post your write-up....but I'm hearing that there is no sandbox mode, missions are linear with limited to zero replay ability and some sort of DRM that is mandatory, but was sort of stealthily avoided in being mentioned until just before the game unlocked.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The DRM is Denuvo Anti-tamper, which comes on a number of new games and I don't see it as any issue. There is apparently no sandbox, but you can go back to previous hospitals you have built and add new items that you have unlocked in later hospitals. As I understand it, when you leave a hospital to another, whichever you aren't currently playing go into stasis so they remain exactly as you left them. So you can keep playing with the various hospitals which is pretty much like a sandbox. Maybe a DLC will give the ability to generate your own map.

I got in about an hour already this morning, mostly learning the game through the tutorial menus. So far it's fun, very nice looking and has a lot of things going on. It's not a deeply serious sim of course, but you can set salaries and prices and get loans. You have a lot of control over each employee regarding assignments, training and pay. I'd say the management level is similar to Planet Coaster or the Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

There are a lot of nice touches, the funny animations and diseases and there's even a DJ who chats between songs. I never played Theme Hospital, which everyone says this game is the spiritual successor to, but the game seems a good diversion.

More later as I get deeper into the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've put in about six hours so far and I'm still enjoying it. I've learned something about how the game works with all the hospitals on a map... as I mentioned, when you are currently playing one hospital, the others go into stasis; nothing changes, money isn't spent or gained in those locales. What is interesting is that when you go to another hospital, you work from the same pool of money you had at the previous location, in other words, the money is at your corporate level, not at the level of each hospital. So if you have one running smoothly you can build up some cash there and then go to another hospital and spend the money there to fix it up. [UPDATE: I seem to be wrong on this, I just coincidentally had the nearly same amount of money at each location. I'll look into it further]. Pretty cool so that you don't feel like you've thrown away all the effort to improve one hospital once you move onto another.

And has been mentioned, you also earn Kobosh points (I think that's what they are called). They are basically research points that allow you to unlock new items, like lamps, posters, vending machines, furniture, a whole bunch of stuff, to add to the hospital rooms or out in the hallways and common space. A lot of these items upgrade the function of a room, for instance adding a medicine cabinet increases the treatment performance in a room by a percent. Items all have some function, even if it is decorative, which improves the rating of your hospital. And again, unlocking an item at any hospital means it is unlocked at all hospitals, so you can go back and retrofit.

The initial hospital you start on has only the one building to work with, but I'm now on my second and it has, besides the existing buildings, three plots you can buy and expand into. I'm figuring later locations will have even more land plots to buy and expand onto.

A really nice feature is that when you select a room to edit, you have the option to drag and drop the room somewhere else. This means you can rearrange the layout of your hospital as your needs change.

And there are lots of graphs and charts to use to determine how well you are doing:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scoring an 86 on Metacritic currently. I'm surprised they didn't just call this Theme Hospital 2....everything about it seems the same (that's a compliment). I look forward to the updated graphics and UI, but quite honestly, Theme Hospital holds up extremely well, and runs great.

Still, very much in when the price goes down a bit. Surprised to see so many glowing reviews from Theme Hospital lovers on Steam...I thought it was mainly just me and Smoove (I think Smoove is the other TH lover on OO)!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Me Too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved Theme Hospital other than the having to move from one hospital to the next. I dont want to go back to an old one..I just wanted a sandbox to stay in and improve. Its like losing them. All that work for nothing. Same here it seems. I dotn have it but will grab it on sale one day. Hope someone can mod a sandbox play in.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 pm Still, very much in when the price goes down a bit. Surprised to see so many glowing reviews from Theme Hospital lovers on Steam...I thought it was mainly just me and Smoove (I think Smoove is the other TH lover on OO)!
I thought Theme Hospital was pretty much universally praised by management sim types. A kinder, gentler Dungeon Keeper.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Finished the 3rd map, and I'm enjoying it so far. It feels fairly leisurely so far, but it seems to be ramping up the difficulty very slowly. If you've played Theme Hospital you know exactly what to expect, plus some good interface enhancements and new mechanics.

One kind of cool thing I liked was, as I was playing levels, it would compare my hospital's income and reputation against other people on my friends list. There's also a leaderboard where you can see how many stars and how much worth your company has compared to others. It was enough to convince me to stay up a little late to beat Naednek's score anyway. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Newegg Flash has this for $26 if anyone is interested at that price. It's a digital download, for Steam. Remember to use the code: NEFQAC6

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16 ... b00a240613
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For anyone who is bothered by this, the devs are removing Denuvo DRM with the 1.02 update (when released) and instead will have the usual Steam DRM.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:18 am I loved Theme Hospital other than the having to move from one hospital to the next. I dont want to go back to an old one..I just wanted a sandbox to stay in and improve. Its like losing them. All that work for nothing. Same here it seems. I dotn have it but will grab it on sale one day. Hope someone can mod a sandbox play in.
I just posted this over at Kotaku:
I’ve got about 24 hours in the game now and it’s pretty good, but I’m on my sixth hospital in the campaign and I’m finding the game suffers from the same problem that affects the Tropico series. You keep starting off with an empty building and you have to go through the same hour or so of getting everything running till you get to the point where the new content for that mission starts making a difference. So six times now I’ve gone through setting up reception, GP offices, General Diagnostics, etc, adding decorative elements and items to address staff and patient needs and the like. It’s getting to be rather repetitive.

I’ve stuck with the various Tropico games because I could always go off to Sandbox mode, but this game doesn’t currently have one. I’m really hoping that the developers release a sandbox mode as an update, or at worse a DLC.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ConflictNerd is doing a playthrough of Two Point Hospital. His janitor's name is Millie Boo Asparagus. Now that's a name!!!
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There was a Twitch stream today (which I didn't watch) but the big news is that the next update will include the ability to copy and paste rooms. That's good news when I've got a hospital with 14 GP offices :roll:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lorini wrote:ConflictNerd is doing a playthrough of Two Point Hospital. His janitor's name is Millie Boo Asparagus. Now that's a name!!!
Love it!
naednek

Post by naednek »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:17 pm There was a Twitch stream today (which I didn't watch) but the big news is that the next update will include the ability to copy and paste rooms. That's good news when I've got a hospital with 14 GP offices :roll:
Thank YOU!. That is so needed.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just to let folks know, the devs have released an update that features a sandbox mode that unlocks after you have one star on the (I think) third hospital. I'm past that so I have the sandbox mode available already.

One other change in the update is that the three rooms that provide both treatment and diagnosis now have a toggle to enable them to do one or the other, so you don't get patients being held up needing one thing while other patients get the other.

Also, for a limited time only, they have Halloween themed objects and even the incidental music has been altered appropriately :D
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Those are good changes! Now if only I can find time in between Forza Horizon 4, and finishing AC: Odyssey, and... to get back to this.

- Ash
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just to let anyone interested know, the game is having a free to play weekend and there are sales on the basic game and the DLC.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just removed it from my wishlist, but I might give a try for free.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:53 pm I just removed it from my wishlist, but I might give a try for free.
It is a pretty fun game with lots of sight gags. Nice thing is that there are a lot of adjustments you can make to starting conditions to avoid going crazy with it. Also a very much less stressful sandbox mode.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Like it. Occasionally play.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

just got an email for the TWO YEAR ANNIVERSARY of the release of this. ...has it been that long, already...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And it's on sale for $10.49.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949