wonderpug

Re: Monster Hunter World

Post by wonderpug »

Insect Glaive: what I've learned so far

Your bug can get three extracts (sort of four) from the monster to buff you
  • Red: boosts your damage, generally comes from the monster's head
  • White: boosts your speed, generally comes from legs or wings
  • Orange: boosts your evade (?), generally comes from the body
  • (Green): gives you a heal instead of a persistent buff, generally comes from the tail
If you have all three collected, I believe you get some kind of extra boosts to your attacks.

You have two ways to send out your bug:
  • LT+triangle/Y to send him out directly
  • LT+RT to shoot a bullet and mark a place on the monster where you want it to go. Easier to aim, slower for the bug to get there. Bug will continue attacking the spot you marked
  • (melee with RT is another way to mark a place)
Option 1 is best if you're trying to finish your extract collection
Option 2 is best if you have all 3 extracts and you want your bug to keep attacking the monster

For aerial combat you jump with RT+X/A, and then:
(X/A = X for PS4, A for Xbox)
  • X/A to dash in the air (once)
  • triangle/Y to dive attack and finish being in the air
  • circle/B to do an aerial attack, if the last attack in the combo hits, you bounce in the air and you can do any of these three actions again
Aerial attacks wear down the monster's mounting resistance until you get to go for a ride. Once on, hit triangle/Y to attack, left stick to move around, RT to hold on tight if he tries to shake you. The triangle/Y attack will progress you toward doing a big attack that will down the monster and knock him out for a while.

<themoreyouknow.gif>
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Man....I am SO far away from even considering anything like mounting or using the Glaive.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

FYI, if you guys need accessible tutorial videos, Gaijin Hunter does great work. He still is adding some for MHW, but his weapon tutorials for the 3DS MH games are still pretty good to get a general idea about the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KAa026YK5G
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

If you want, tomorrow I can try and write up Glaiving for Dummies. There's definitely a lot going on, but it's definitely possible to learn.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Just got this on the PS4 ... I hate you guys :)

Will try to take the first steps into the game later tonight (I played the last 3DS version a bit and liked it) and would be interested to team up someday (if I generally understand what's going on). PSN ID is ChuckB08
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You didn't ask, but this was fun to write up, so here it is, Insect Glaive for Dummies!
Spoiler:
Super basic, there's two parts to the weapon: The glaive and the bug. Note that I'm playing on PS4, so all button names are PS4, just transpose if you're on Xbox.

The Glaive:
This is the big stick that you use to hit things until they be dead. This thing's all pretty self-explanatory. The one thing to keep in mind that while you can hit RT+X to launch yourself up in the air and then use that to try and mount the monster, doing this all the time won't work. Like resistances, each time you successfully mount the monster, the next "mountable" damage threshold goes up, which means you'll have to apply more damage before the mount will actually stick. So don't bother spamming the jump and wonder why you're not mounting, and maybe try and save the mounts for when you'd really like a knockdown.

The Bug:
This is where the glaive gets most of its complexity from. The bug sits on your arm, and during combat, you can send it flying out in front of you to hit things. The controls are this:

LT - Holding this puts you in "bug mode". You can still run around in bug mode, but the rest of the moves are bug moves.
LT+Triangle - Send the bug flying straight out ahead. This is based on your character facing, not screen orientation. It keeps the same horizonal position, so if you fire it at a monster up slope, it'll hit the ground. This is frustrating and aiming the thing right is a definite skill hurdle. It'll keep flying out until either you let go of LT, call it back, or it hits its distance limit. As you level up the bug, the max distance can change.
LT+Circle - Call the bug back. It'll turn around, come back, and when it gets to you, will give you whatever juice it's carrying (more on this in a minute).
LT+RT - Shoot out a bug marker at the targeting reticle in the center of the screen. If you do this and then send out the bug, it'll home in on the marker instead of flying straight out. This can be handy to hit a particular part of a monster, but it's not super reliable. First, you have to hit the right spot with the marker. Second, bug will go straight at the marker, even if something else is in the way, so it might hit terrain or a different part of the monster. Basically, use this if you want, but most people just manually aim the bug.

Juices:
This is the real heart of the glaive. The meter we're interested in is the one just below the sharpness meter, seen here:
Enlarge Image

Whenever the bug hits a monster, it extracts juice from it in a certain color, depending on where you hit it. The left-hand box on that meter will show you what color juice the bug is holding. If the bug hits a monster again while it's holding juice, it'll swap to the new color, because it can only hold one type of juice at once. When you call the bug back while it's holding juice, it'll deposit the juice in one of the other three slots in the meter.

So why the heck do you want juice? BUFFS! These are the four juice colors, what they do, and where they come from. Note that the "where" is general, and differs from monster to monster. You'll need to experiment a bit:

Red - Increases the damage you do. Usually comes from a monster's head.
Yellow - Increases your defense. Usually comes from a monster's body.
White - Increases your speed. Usually comes from a monster's legs and wings.
Green - Heals you. Usually comes from a monster's tail.

All big monsters will always give you red, yellow, and white. Green isn't always given, so don't kill yourself looking for the magic spot. Small monsters will only give a single color.

When you get green juice, it's used instantly, and doesn't go in the meter. The other three colors each have a designated spot in the three diamonds of the meter, and will give you their buff as long as they're there (the meter has a timer that will empty the meter when it times out). Your main goal in life is to keep all three colors of juice in that meter. When you get all three colors in the meter, you go into your SUPER BUG MAN state. You'll know you're there because your stick gets a cool red glowing trail when you swing it. When you're Super Bug Man, all your attacks become much faster, and some combos will even get extra hits automatically added to the animation. This is on top of the stats buffs. It's generally a really good thing, so make it your goal in life to keep that meter full.

The real trick of the glaive is knowing where to hit the monster to get each color of juices, being able to do that quickly and consistently, and being able to balance that with dodging and attacking while gathering juice. It's a really fun balancing act once you wrap your head around what you should be doing and how to do it.

One thing to keep in mind with the glaive is that some of the attack animations are pretty long. It's really tempting to get in there and just cut loose with a long combo, since it's easy and looks sweet. The problem is that if you suddenly need to dodge, you can wind up getting stuck swinging your stick around instead of dodging. Resist the urge to always go long combos, be deliberate, and use your mobility to stick and move. Save long combos for when you knock the monster down with a mount.

Outside of hunts, there's some extra complexity with upgrading your bug. Like weapons, bugs can have damage types (slash vs blunt), and different elemental and status effects. This time around, your bug and stick can be mixed and matched, and they need to be upgraded independently. I haven't dived deep enough into this to give you a rundown, so check some upgrade guides when you get that far. Hopefully this helps!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Nice write up. I'm gonna slowly experiment with the insect glaive.

Is there any easy to lay shock traps and then switch to tranq bombs?
By the time I switch over, the trap is gone.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

stimpy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 am Nice write up. I'm gonna slowly experiment with the insect glaive.

You customize your radial menu to have quick access there, otherwise just make sure they're next to each other in your inventory and it should just be one inventory tab over to switch to the bombs.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No posts in a week, but I just wanted to throw out there that I am still having a lot of fun with this. I'm just shy of 70 hours in and still playing story content. I've got a pretty good handle on the Long Sword now and I think I have 6 or 7 of them now (Fire, Water, Thunder, Ice, Dragon and Poison and then a second Dragon that I think will become a high elder seal Blast weapon and one more planned that is THE end game weapon). I built an insect glaive to play around with but haven't actually used it yet. I'm just at the point where I am expanding my elder dragon knowledge, which should be pretty good given this week's limited bounty. I'm hunting down some Windproof gear to deal with one of those elder pains in the ass. I ran out of time on him while he was showing skulls yesterday. All those wind blasts make it kind of pain to melee... maybe I should try some ranged. :P

I learned this weekend that on the Forge Armor screen you can sort by Skill and it will highlight and move to the top all the pieces that feature the selected skill. That's pretty damn useful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I tried both previous MH games on 3DS, and neither of them clicked with me at all. Doubt I got more than 5 hours into each. For some reason (probably the gift card to Gamestop), I decided to give this version a shot.

Glad I did because I'm completely hooked. Once you get over the near-vertical learning curve, the core gameplay loop of hunt-->kill-->craft is extremely satisfying. I've tried a couple different weapons and have landed on the basic sword and shield combo. It just feels right, where the other weapons either felt way too slow (lance) or didn't have enough defense (dual blades). I need to give one of the more "exotic" weapons a try at some point, but I'm loving the sword and board combo so far.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:21 pm
stimpy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 am Nice write up. I'm gonna slowly experiment with the insect glaive.

You customize your radial menu to have quick access there, otherwise just make sure they're next to each other in your inventory and it should just be one inventory tab over to switch to the bombs.
Also, while the shock trap is being deployed you can be switching to the tranq bombs. Once you hit the button to start you can change the selected device.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ordered an HDMI switch so I can easily connect the PS4 to my computer monitor. Otherwise I have to crawl under the desk over and over. Once I get that tomorrow I expect I'll play a lot more. I really love the game, but not enough to get crap about hiding in another room for 4-5 hours. :lol: The only bummer I have is the way you can't pause things. That's kind of annoying when people are asking you questions or you have to jump up and do something. Eh..
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Hi,

Having fun so far with the game (on PS4)and making progress with the long sword (decided to stick with one weapon in the beginning to better understand the mechanics). The issues I have so far:
  • I killed a couple of the great jagras and getting better at it but my strategy so far is to keep pounding its back while my Calico is keeping it busy and turned away and then dodge when it faces me. When looking at the info about the great jagras, most frontal areas are marked as "breakable" but I'm not sure how I could effectively target them - any tips?
  • In general, targeting is still an issue for me, many of my attacks miss. I haven't found a real "lock" mechanism, so it seems I have to be really careful about the orientation of my character - again, any advice?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've been using the Long Sword for 70+ hours and what I've learned is... make sure you are facing the right way before you start smashing the buttons. I only find it a real pain when trying to kill small monsters, which doesn't happen often. There are supposed to be camera settings to focus the camera on your target but I haven't tried them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

ChuckB wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm
  • I killed a couple of the great jagras and getting better at it but my strategy so far is to keep pounding its back while my Calico is keeping it busy and turned away and then dodge when it faces me. When looking at the info about the great jagras, most frontal areas are marked as "breakable" but I'm not sure how I could effectively target them - any tips?
Pretty much just by making sure the part you're trying to attack is in front of you.
ChuckB wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm
  • In general, targeting is still an issue for me, many of my attacks miss. I haven't found a real "lock" mechanism, so it seems I have to be really careful about the orientation of my character - again, any advice?
Proper positioning is a big part of the gameplay in this game. Many of the weapons have moves or attacks available to help you out with that. With the longsword, you can use the triangle+circle attack to reposition in the middle of a combo. Without an input from the left analog stick you'll just hop backward, or you can press left or right on the stick to do a slice and then gracefully sidestep in that direction.

Also don't be shy about sheathing your weapon mid-combat, running to a better position, then resuming your attacks.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

On PS4, R3 (clicking the right thumbstick) will lock onto the target. It's really fussy though, and unlocks any time to take another action (potion, dodge, whetstone, etc.). I've gotten in the habit if clicking it multiple times during a battle, whenever I find myself facing the wrong way.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You probably don't want to be using that method because, as you noted, it sucks and unlocks constantly. It'll also stay locked on the monster when you'd maybe rather have it pointing at where you're going. The two things to change.

- Switch it to, I think, Type 3. The one that says you lock on with R3, then hit L1 to focus the camera on the monster. Then you just lock on, and tap R1 when you want the camera to point at it. Note that this won't keep it locked on him, and maybe takes some getting used to, but it's been the standard for MH games for years for a reason.

- Also switch your targeting type to be large monsters only. It defaults to all monsters, but there's no reality where you'll ever want to lock onto one of the little lizards or bugs or anything, so change it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just watched the credits roll. Of course that doesn't mean I am done with the game, but I am mostly kind of done with the story I guess? :D 90+ hours but still lots to do!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:11 pm I just watched the credits roll. Of course that doesn't mean I am done with the game, but I am mostly kind of done with the story I guess? :D 90+ hours but still lots to do!
40-ish hours post-credits now. I finally killed my first tempered elder dragon... and got a streamstone to upgrade weapon types I don't use. Gee... thanks. I also unlocked augments for armor and wow... that's expensive. I also found inventory items that increase defense and attack. I wonder when they became available. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Anyone here familiar enough with the older games to recommend which 3DS game I should buy if I loved Monster Hunter World and want to explore the series more?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I tried one of the 3DS games last year (Generations) and it was not fun. I did not get very far because there were approximately 100 tutorial missions (exaggeration, but not by much) and I just gave up. Now that I know MH:W it might be easier to figure out, but now I have MH:W so I don't care to go back.

On another note, if anyone is bothered by the load times on PS4 Pro, if you put in an SSD it makes a significant difference. I installed a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO ($150 from Amazon) in my Pro this morning and the difference in load times is kind of stunning. I don't know if the difference would be the same in the regular PS4. I think I read that it doesn't have SATA III so YMMV.

Final note, I've started killing tempered elder dragons for the final phase of equipment upgrades and I think I am finally starting to lose steam. There are different upgrade stones for different weapon types.. with 14 different weapon types, that means a lot of stones that aren't much use to me. I have about 12 long swords that I use for different situtations. Getting augment stones for all of them could take hundreds of hours. I am not sure I am up for that...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 am
On another note, if anyone is bothered by the load times on PS4 Pro, if you put in an SSD it makes a significant difference. I installed a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO ($150 from Amazon) in my Pro this morning and the difference in load times is kind of stunning. I don't know if the difference would be the same in the regular PS4. I think I read that it doesn't have SATA III so YMMV.
Oh, no - please don't say that, now I want one (but I would need a 2TB one to replace my current HD but even those get into affordable ranges ...)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 pm Anyone here familiar enough with the older games to recommend which 3DS game I should buy if I loved Monster Hunter World and want to explore the series more?
I grabbed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and I'm having a blast with it. It's much easier to squeeze quests in compared to the PS4 version as I can play anywhere. I playing on on 3ds xl with the circle pad pro. The CP helps a ton as it adds another stick to control the camera. Combat is very similar to MHW so jumping between the two is pretty seamless.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Octavious wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 pm
wonderpug wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 pm Anyone here familiar enough with the older games to recommend which 3DS game I should buy if I loved Monster Hunter World and want to explore the series more?
I grabbed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and I'm having a blast with it. It's much easier to squeeze quests in compared to the PS4 version as I can play anywhere. I playing on on 3ds xl with the circle pad pro. The CP helps a ton as it adds another stick to control the camera. Combat is very similar to MHW so jumping between the two is pretty seamless.
Good to hear -- I have that arriving tomorrow! I had narrowed it down to 4 Ultimate and Generations, but it looks like Generations had a remake on the Switch in Japan. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for my next Monster Hunter, they'll have that on the way for the US Switch.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

From what I read 4 has a better structure and Gen has some stuff that was added to the combat that didn't convert into World. So picking 4 was probably the right move. It was even super easy to find groups so the online portion is still popular.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am You know it's just the console release this week, right? PC release looks to be in the fall.
PC release August 9th.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am You know it's just the console release this week, right? PC release looks to be in the fall.
PC release August 9th.
That's tomorrow. I bought two copies so my oldest and I can hunt co-op... despite already owning it on PS4 and both of us currently being all in on No Man's Sky. GMG sent me a voucher to get it for around $47 per copy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm feeling a bit of a pull to give this another go.

If anyone happens to have Steam Link, could you let me know if it works through that?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I grabbed the Steam version on Saturday night, and it didn't play nice with my PC at all. Within 10 minutes of firing it up, I was getting all sorts of temperature alarms from my CPU. Framerate stuttered like crazy too on my new mid-range system, and adjust the settings didn't seem to do much.
Ended up requesting a refund for the first time in a couple years because it was so bad. Between return credits and a gift card, I had enough to get a used copy for PS4 for $10 out of pocket. I'll just stick with that version, I think.

Messed around with a few different weapon types, and have landed on dual blade this time. Feels a little squishy, but the speed factor is just plain fun.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's too bad. It is working fine on my kid's PC and that thing is a dog. It was a $450 Alienware 2.5 years ago. That should give you an idea of the awesome power in that PC.

i3-4170
8GB RAM
and the video is some integrated mobile chip with video drivers from January... maybe that helps :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:11 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:42 pm
PC release August 9th.
That's tomorrow. I bought two copies so my oldest and I can hunt co-op... despite already owning it on PS4 and both of us currently being all in on No Man's Sky. GMG sent me a voucher to get it for around $47 per copy.
When I bought this back in August, I don't know if it was the load or the code, but the multiplayer was just broken. Either unable to connect or quickly disconnected. Since I bought it to play with my son (after spending a LOT of time playing solo on PS4) I wasn't happy and we shelved it. This past weekend, on a whim, I decided to give it another try. We still get disconnects every few hours, but it is much more reasonable and we have been having a lot of fun playing together. We played a LOT over the weekend and made lots of progress. I am a bit embarrassed to admit I am running Long Sword again. Everything else just seems so limited, weak or boring. The mobility, reach and helm breaker move of the long sword just feel perfect to me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, I guess I'll need to add this game to the list now.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It is a great game (if you like boss fights) and the fights can be reminiscent of monster hunts in the Witcher. Generally crossover events like this are just skins and a new armor set and weapon, but I am curious to see what they do here. As a Long Sword user I expect it will have something I might use.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hopefully Geralt won't try to sex up my cat companion.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The Iceborne expansion came to PC last week and I am loving it. I have played about 30 hours since last Thursday. It is very much more of the same so if you didn't like it before this expansion won't change your mind. They did add some weapons and armor to the base game to make that should make it easier to progress without diving deep into builds for specific monsters. This is generally because the stuff you get in the expansion makes much of your old gear seem useless. Playing with friends has been improved a lot. If anyone give it a shot and needs help with anything, I may bring some chaos (long sword can be a bit... reckless), but I can certainly chop up some monsters.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter