X-Wing series on Windows 7

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

X-Wing series on Windows 7

Post by Rumpy »

I can get the Classic and Collector's Editions working just fine with Steam, but is there any trick to get the Special Edition aka remastered, working on Windows 7 or later? That version doesn't work for me. It's the one with Win95 executable. First of all, it needs tweaks just to get it running, and even when I do, no matter my settings, all colours are screwed up, like it's in 256 colors or something. Looks like someone took crayons to the Star Destroyers. Any tricks? I've looked online and tried to follow instructions on how to get it to work, but nada.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Re: X-Wing series on Windows 7

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to play that particular version, you're better off following this guide from PC Gamer if you own X-Wing Alliance. It's basically a four-step process which allows you to play all of the original X-Wing campaign and bonus missions using the X-Wing Alliance engine (which tends to work better with modern hardware and operating systems), but with fully retextured, high resolution graphics with widescreen support.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, I'd thought that the special edition did run on that engine already. Thanks, I'll try that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bookmarked.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You guys using a joystick to play this? I seriously doubt the flightstick(?) I used back in the day to play X-Wing and Tie Fighter still works on Windows 10.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last time I fired up X-Wing through Steam, I used the X-Box controller. And the maze was hard.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 am You guys using a joystick to play this? I seriously doubt the flightstick(?) I used back in the day to play X-Wing and Tie Fighter still works on Windows 10.
The flightstick I used to play X-Wing and Tie Fighter plugged into the game port on the soundcard. So um, yeah...

I did buy a USB flightstick six or seven years ago with the intent of revisiting my old XWing collector CDs and then I never got around to it. Now I'm likely to go to GOG and rebuy the game if I ever get the bug again.

Sadly, I don't think I have the dexterity and presence of mind to go back and forth between keyboard and flight stick any more, even though I'm sure the game is considered weak by modern standards when it comes coordinating your brain and hands and keyboard and controller. This is what it's like to be my old man wanting to join in and play games with us kids.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Huh. Apparently the old Sidewinder Precision Pro just works when you plug it in according to this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 4d6?auth=1

And of course that would be the joystick I got rid of years ago, thinking it was unusable on modern OS's. I think the only one I have left is a Logitech Wingman or Extreme dealio. Off to find Windows 10 drivers for that.