What happened to truly single player RPGs?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Drazzil

What happened to truly single player RPGs?

Post by Drazzil »

I HATE being forced to lug a party member around. No I do *not* want to babysit six party members around every where I go.

I bought but could NEVER get into... Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale... Pretty much every Bioware Game got pretty unintrestung for me when I have to juggle party members.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
dbt1949

Re: What happened to truly single player RPGs?

Post by dbt1949 »

There's the Fallout series and the Skyrim series.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I also don't like party-based RPGs. I tolerated Baldur's Gate back in the day. I enjoyed Dragon Age and Mass Effect because the party AI could take care of itself.

But a single player RPG? The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a masterpiece.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kingdom Come Deliverance is a single player, no party to drag alone RPG. Check out the thread for more info if you are interested.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You could play BG with a single character, iirc. Wasn't easy, but it could be done. I think you had to start a MP game ironically.

Dragon Age: Origins
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
Witcher series
Vampire: Masquerade
The Grimrocks
Planescape
Divinity: Original Sin
Fable
Mount and Blade? (not sure if RPG, never played it)
Skyrim
lots more
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They were never that plentiful, but there are still a few out there. Most of them tend to be more actiony, as a single attacker needs to be able to attack as well as defend, talk as well as heal. It makes makes choices more about what am I going to do right now versus how which combination will I do. Of course, it all depends on what you call an RPG. There are options such as Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls, Shadow of War, MMOs played solo, and so forth that skirt what some people would call an RPG.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

Elex is a good one. You can bring one companion along but it's not necessary and they are very low maintenance if you do.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 am Dragon's Dogma
Most of the fun of DD was running around with Pawns.
Planescape
Been years since I played this, but I seem to recall multiple party members. Including the greatest ever...Morte.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

While Skyrim and Fallout do have companions, I wish they'd be more than pack mules that can fight, like a bit more personality and combat settings based on skillsets other than the simple follow/stay and how far behind. Better backstories and quests would certainly help too.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 pm I HATE being forced to lug a party member around. No I do *not* want to babysit six party members around every where I go.

I bought but could NEVER get into... Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale... Pretty much every Bioware Game got pretty unintrestung for me when I have to juggle party members.
I have solo'd all those games. A mage-thief can do a lot of things as they level up.

Fallout would be a good series for you.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:09 pm While Skyrim and Fallout do have companions, I wish they'd be more than pack mules that can fight, like a bit more personality and combat settings based on skillsets other than the simple follow/stay and how far behind. Better backstories and quests would certainly help too.
Look up the following companion mods.

Inigo
Vilja
Sofia
Recorder

You're sure to love one of those. Inigo is supposed to be the best ever. An 11 on a 10 scale. Ive never used him but have him loaded for this play through. Not found him yet . I love Sofia she is a crazy loudmouth drunk girl and recorder is a ,.well...recorder of your travels. Vilja is like a viking girl accent and all. VERY well done. They all have their own quest line to do if you want to know more about them. they all fight well.

It took me 8 months to finish The Witcher 3. I got done and deleted it then picked up the addons cheap. I swore I wouldn't go back for at least a year. Its been just a few months but Im already thinking about it more and more. I miss Geralt and that world. Never been a better character than Geralt.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 pm I also don't like party-based RPGs. I tolerated Baldur's Gate back in the day. I enjoyed Dragon Age and Mass Effect because the party AI could take care of itself.

100 times this!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 pm Inigo
Vilja
Sofia
Recorder

You're sure to love one of those. Inigo is supposed to be the best ever. An 11 on a 10 scale. Ive never used him but have him loaded for this play through. Not found him yet . I love Sofia she is a crazy loudmouth drunk girl and recorder is a ,.well...recorder of your travels. Vilja is like a viking girl accent and all. VERY well done. They all have their own quest line to do if you want to know more about them. they all fight well.

I've seen warnings about Inigo and stability. Sofia and Recorder I've never tried. I've used Vilja quite a bit. She's good, but you'll eventually want to turn down her commentary. She does have voiced lines for hundreds of quest stages and locations, which is great, but some of her other banter (like commenting on skills) gets repetitive sometimes. "I wish I knew how to summon something. A skeever, maybe..."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never played the entire game so I could see that happening. My only gripe with her before is I wish she'd talk faster. She talks SO dang slow.

Also I just have recorder and the game is too easy alone and with her its even easier. By the time I get all 4 I could stay home and send them out. Im going to have to set it to the most difficult and maybe even add some difficulty mod.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 pm Look up the following companion mods.
Thanks, but the only version I have is on the PS3. I'm rather out of date on both the PC and console fronts, but I'll be getting a PS4 soon. Maybe next months and then I'll have access to wonderful things like Witcher 3 :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 pm I also don't like party-based RPGs. I tolerated Baldur's Gate back in the day. I enjoyed Dragon Age and Mass Effect because the party AI could take care of itself.

100 times this!
To restate - they got incredibly awesome in the form of The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Ain't nobody got time for that
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Now, you know what'd be cool? A Multiplayer version of Elder Scrolls. No, I know about the MMO, but this isn't quite what I'm thinking about. First-person perspective, where your friends can join you as companions replacing the AI, but still at its core a single-player game like Skyrim. So, more like a pseudo-MMO, but in the style of their single-player games. Offline, they could still be your regular companions in a sort of shadowplay, possibly even earning their share of loot in the process.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

There goes Rumpy, derailing his own thread.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 am A Multiplayer co-op version of Elder Scrolls.
I think that's probably the term you'd want these days. And I agree 100%. Though I don't know that I'd want them to replace existing followers, except in-so-much as the game has a limit on party size. So, without a co-op partner, you get a follower. But they get to make their own character and do their own things. But to truly work, it would be nice to have the game tailored so that they were included in the main quest line.

Although, I suppose you could maybe have it act more like Dead Island with drop-in/drop-out functionality. But I'd be worried about strangers just bailing on you.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:04 pm There goes Rumpy, derailing his own thread.
Wasn't my thread. It was Draz's. I apologize, Draz. Just came to mind this thread is all.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

TheMix wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 am A Multiplayer co-op version of Elder Scrolls.
I think that's probably the term you'd want these days. And I agree 100%. Though I don't know that I'd want them to replace existing followers, except in-so-much as the game has a limit on party size. So, without a co-op partner, you get a follower. But they get to make their own character and do their own things. But to truly work, it would be nice to have the game tailored so that they were included in the main quest line.

Although, I suppose you could maybe have it act more like Dead Island with drop-in/drop-out functionality. But I'd be worried about strangers just bailing on you.
Yeah, I was having a brain fart. I did mean co-op. I was thinking of drop-in/out functionality as well, but limited to who are on your friends list. So, let's say you connect it to your Steam account, anyone who drops in would be limited to those people rather than complete strangers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I probabally should have mentioned earlier I prefer the isometric format. :grund:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well with that piece of info....good luck!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, uh, you may want to change the title to “why were there never any good, single character isometric crpg’s made?”

I also prefer that view (for CRPGs) but we are definitely in the minority on that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its my favorite view in them too. There's still Fallout 1 and 2
JCC

Post by JCC »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 am Yeah, uh, you may want to change the title to “why were there never any good, single character isometric crpg’s made?”

I also prefer that view (for CRPGs) but we are definitely in the minority on that.
Yes, the thread title is not a very accurate description of what the poster wants.

Thinking about it, the last single character isometric RPG I remember playing was Ultima VIII - and it was awful. I thought there was no way LB could bastardize his masterpiece series worse - oh how wrong I was. But that's another, older thread.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JCC wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 am Yeah, uh, you may want to change the title to “why were there never any good, single character isometric crpg’s made?”

Yes, the thread title is not a very accurate description of what the poster wants.

Thinking about it, the last single character isometric RPG I remember playing was Ultima VIII - and it was awful. I thought there was no way LB could bastardize his masterpiece series worse - oh how wrong I was. But that's another, older thread.
Ah, right! Completely forgot about the Ultima's. Ultima VII, in particular, was a good, single player, ISO view CRPG.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Ahh, you juts made Divine Divinity cry.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are a few. I've heard good things about Age of Decadence, for instance. There have never been a lot, though. Your best bet will be Diablo clones.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

morlac wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:43 am

Ahh, you juts made Divine Divinity cry.
Divine Divinity is awesome. I beat it.