Into the Breach (Turn based Rogue-like from the FTL devs)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: Into the Breach (Turn based Rogue-like from the FTL devs)

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:11 pm How do you get armor for the Steel Joduka achievement?
I think the main Joduka unit starts with a little bit of armor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe I will have to try again but I haven't seen it.

I've unlocked the eight squads but it's still quite a ways away from 55 medals. //wonders what's after you do thing after the 55 medals are collected.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The seems like it would be perfect on the iPad. Hopefully they'll consider releasing the game on mobile platforms at some point.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Internet suggests Judoka's armored can "pop an shield"

https://www.resetera.com/threads/into-t ... 03/page-11

I don't remember that but then I was looking for armor not shields. I'll probably give it another go tonight. They were a fun group to play.

I've yet to get the make it through an island without taking damage achievement but came really close with the fire group twice last night.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:48 pm The Internet suggests Judoka's armored can "pop an shield"

https://www.resetera.com/threads/into-t ... 03/page-11

I don't remember that but then I was looking for armor not shields. I'll probably give it another go tonight. They were a fun group to play.

I've yet to get the make it through an island without taking damage achievement but came really close with the fire group twice last night.
Last night when I was playing I selected the first Judoka mech I could see a small armor buff icon that indicated that's what it was when I moused over it. I assume that's the armor they are talking about, but I might be misinterpreting something.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm Last night when I was playing I selected the first Judoka mech I could see a small armor buff icon that indicated that's what it was when I moused over it. I assume that's the armor they are talking about, but I might be misinterpreting something.
Nope. That's armor. (The buff is like four brown plates or something. I've had it on other mechs and seen it on Vex) I've seen it playing other mechs. I swear to pancake I looked and never saw it on my Judoka and I have no idea how to through five of it in a battle. I will look again tonight with fresh eyes. But it wasn't like when I was playing the Blitzkrieg to finish the first two islands in 30 minutes. (I played like a maniac with no regard to what I was actually doing and it still took 27 minutes and change)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sho'nough Judoka Prime has armor and I never saw it before nor understood how I was "absorbing damage" with it before. I'm blind. I have of their coins to get and the I was screwed not taking damage with the hazard mechs so I have to do them over.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Unless you have the leader that give you TWO resets. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

...that time I left my maxed-out lead mech in place going into the last turn of a battle for which I had completed all goals, and told her to heal herself just so I could beat the battle in an even more-impressive fashion...

...then realize that I had left her standing on a cataclysm space.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Rusting Hulks are super-fun, and their achievements aren't bad, either. Building out my upgrades and then focusing the battle to achieve the 12 storm damage in one match was a nice challenge.

So far I've got 11.5 hours into this game, with 2 squad unlocks to go. I can easily see myself getting to 50 hours before I start to peter out. We'll see. At the least this will be IMO a must-buy-when-heavily-discounted, like FTL.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I guess I'm addicted to this game because I can't stop playing it. It's so much fun. Maybe it's the graphics, or the music or the design, whatever it is about it kind of reminds of all those golden games from the 80s and 90s like Master of Magic. I absolutely love it. I think the game design is brilliant. Very, very tight.

I've won with 4 squads now and still have a few more left to unlock. I like the Rusting Hulks and Rift Walkers the best so far. Zenith Guard was okay. I didn't much care for Blitzkrieg at all although that may be because I did the 2 island win with them and they didn't have as long as the others to beef up. Steel Judoka is up next.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Argh. I keeping leaving a unit in a death spot by accident over and over. What the hell us wrong with me?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm Argh. I keeping leaving a unit in a death spot by accident over and over. What the hell us wrong with me?!?
I did that on the final mission with one of my veteran pilots the other night. The issue was really just that there was so much going on I couldn't see the marker underneath the unit.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Yeah I think that happens to me too. Fire on top of a death marker can be hard to see sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agreed--some of the marker combos can be difficult. That said, most of the time it's because I'm a dumbass. All of the markers also animate when they take effect initially, so in the end it's on me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't stand on death spots but I do very very stupid things that lose me my precious achievement coins after several hours of play.

I think I am missing the Judoka armor coin, and the poison/damages self/heal squad no mech dies through 4 islands coin (for which my frustration at my own stupidity in damaging self caused me to put the game away) and I need all three coins for the 8th, lower left. I haven't done the custom squad. I haven't done the random squad. I still need the coin for a whole island with no damage (again stupid stuff) and the coin for 3 islands destroying all pods (again stupid stuff). Aside from that that other coins I need trivial, just spending time playing and the familiar face coin, which I don't understand.

I both want to reveal the secret of collecting all 55 coins and am frustrated enough with my own stupidity that I had to set the game down.

I like that there is room for a lot more in this game as well.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:20 pm I'm a dumbass.
That's my problem.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:29 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:20 pm I'm a dumbass.
That's my problem.
Mr. Dumbass
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Does this game have legs? I'm concerned that there have been no new posts in 5 days. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am Does this game have legs? I'm concerned that there have been no new posts in 5 days. :)
At least for me it's due to a case of pinkeye in my girls. I'm hoping to get back in tonight. I'm sitting at 18 hours into the game, and no desire to quit yet. My last session included my first with a custom squad. That definitely lends itself to some challenging achievements--right now I'm working on the one for beating the game with 3 of the same mech.

Which is harder than you'd think.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am Does this game have legs?
For me it does. I'm still playing it every day pretty much. I just never get tired of it. Right now I'm doing a run with the Hazmat team. It's interesting because two of them do self damage when they attack. I'm using Abe with his armor for one of them and they also come with a passive that heals you when you kill something. So, it hasn't really been an issue. They're actually a lot of fun to play.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Played through a whole game of it at a friend's house (and immediately bought it on steam after).

Since my friend had a bunch of unlocks already, I started with the guy who could move a square after attacking. That's incredibly useful. Used the "starting team" mech lineup. Gave the combat mech the "judo flip" weapon (the one that takes your target and body slams it on the other side of your mech). The number of Vek that wound up in water or lava with the use of that ability was pretty substantial.

Being able to talk through the levels with each other really helped catch stupid mistakes that an individual would have made, so we got through an almost perfect run, except for a couple of "goofs" on the ice island that may or may not have resulted in the deaths of a pilot and several hundred civilians. One of the "goofs" included pressing the space bar at the start of a turn, while the other included shooting a Vek instead of an iced building thus failing a bonus objective.

Still working out the fine details of it, but definitely a lot of fun.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Still enjoying this. I'm at 27 hours, and have earned 39 of the 55 achievement coins.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Rock, Paper, Shotgun calls itthe best PC strategy game. Ever.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Damn. Not sure I'd go that far, but it's very, very good. I'm not tired of it yet.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Kelric wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:29 pm Rock, Paper, Shotgun calls itthe best PC strategy game. Ever.
Wow. Usually I agree with the RPS guys, but I found this game thin, lacking content, and boring, which is exactly what I thought of FTL. Sure, I got 20 hours out of each, but neither game ever really grabbed me, despite my love of PC strategy games in general. To each their own, but I think both of these games are vastly overrated.

P.S. I just realized that the guy who made that list was the same guy who wrote that incredibly amatuerish review of Battletech a couple of months ago. I'm just going to say that he and I strongly disagree on what makes a PC strategy game compelling, and leave it at that.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I doubt it's the BEST. EVER. ... but reviews are generally favorable and it's on my short list of GOG purchases when it hits a sale.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 am I doubt it's the BEST. EVER. ... but reviews are generally favorable and it's on my short list of GOG purchases when it hits a sale.
I can see how Into the Breach would appeal to to a lot of gamers. But I guess the problem is that "small" PC strategy games like FTL, Into the Breach, Marvel Puzzle Quest, or Moonbase Commander just never manage to get their hooks into me. And this is despite my love of chess. My best guess is that it's because when I am playing these games I am unable to pour any imagination whatsoever into the experience.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Apollo wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 am I doubt it's the BEST. EVER. ... but reviews are generally favorable and it's on my short list of GOG purchases when it hits a sale.
..."small" PC strategy games ... when I am playing these games I am unable to pour any imagination whatsoever into the experience.
I'm kind of with you there - I don't apply much extra by way of imagination when someone hands me a set stage and pieces to move on it. I tend to play the game without drafting a narrative. I still greatly enjoyed FTL, though, because of the challenge. That's the part that'll keep me coming back more than the size of the stage or the narrative.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Available today on Switch. Woo! This is a definite re-buy for me.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's actually a huge deal for me. Casual, easy to play games are just the thing if I have a kid on the main gaming PC or I just want to relax while listening to tv. So far I've just been playing Street Fighter and Stardew Valley. I looked at Dead Cells but I'm not sold on that.

Into the Breach is a must have that I just haven't picked up yet. If it works decently well on the switch at a comparable (to the PC version) price, I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Thanks for the heads up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's $15. I'll probably grab it tonight and check out the non-mouse controls.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I recently learned that there are mods for this game. They add new mission types, new bugs, new bug behaviors and new mechs. It was enough to get me playing it again for a little bit.

PC Gamer article
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Staring at it in the eshop and can't quite pull the trigger.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote:Staring at it in the eshop and can't quite pull the trigger.
I grabbed it 15 min ago. Is goot.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

After playing through several missions both docked and in handheld, this is a winner. Controls are good (mouse is better, but it's good), text in handheld mode is perfectly legible, and it has the fun factor of the PC release.

The ability to pack it up at any point and pick up wherever rocks. Subset is going to have a dump truck full of money heading to their doorstep this week.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, boughten on Zax's recommendation. On the Switch, because I occasionally need something that I can play not on my computer.

I like what I've seen so far, although a few misunderstandings about what something is or how something works has cost me in game. Not a big deal though, given that the game is designed to be played repeatedly. Still irksome though.

Didn't take long to max out a pilot or 2, which sort of leaves me thinking "now what?". Do I sell the pilots, put them on the bench while I level other pilots, or just use them forever, knowing that the experience and leveling system for the pilots was maxed out in 30 minutes, never to be seen again?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I hope it holds up for you as well as it has for me.

Re: leveling--if you win a game, you get to pick one of your pilots to bring with you into the next game. Each game you begin, you'll have zero or one leveled pilots and two newbies. (And even a 4-island game lasts what, 90 minutes total?) Once you unlock the other mech crews, the type of pilot you will want to bring forward may change. Basically, the leveling is not a 'hey, I did it in 30 min, now I won't care about it going forward' sort of thing. There are also some achievements (which you need to complete if you care about unlocking all of the mech sets) that will be easier with certain pilot types.