Deep Rock Galactic 4 player coop dwarves mining

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Deep Rock Galactic 4 player coop dwarves mining

Post by Daehawk »

I thought I saw a quick post on this months ago here but maybe it was somewhere else. 4 players play as dwarves in a deep dark space mine . Interesting look.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sepiche

Re: Deep Rock Galactic 4 player coop dwarves mining

Post by Sepiche »

I held off on picking this up for a while as the screenshots looked a little half baked, but it went on sale recently so I bit the bullet. Really a fun, surprisingly polished game. I was expecting something half done, but even in it's current state it feels like a fully released game, and one with a good, well executed L4D-style concept.

Basically you play a space dwarf as one of 4 classes: driller, gunner, scout, and engineer. Each class has unique powers and weapons that can be upgraded over time using gold you get from missions. Between missions you can access your bay on the dwarven mothership where you can upgrade your equipment, customize your character, meet up with friends, plan new missions, etc.

The missions are procedurally generated caves in a number of very different biomes that you can choose from before embarking. The only mission type I've played so far is one where you go into the cave with a cargo robot and have to find X amount of a particular mineral before extracting. You'll enter the cave via a drop pod, and dig and explore around looking for mineral veins to mine. There tends to be minerals of the type you need for the mission, minerals you can mine to call in resupply drops, gold you can mine directly, and rare crafting minerals you need to upgrade certain pieces of equipment between missions.

The challenge comes from the swarms of bugs that inhabit the caves. There will be bugs just hanging around that you have to deal with as you explore as well as the occasional swarms that will try to overrun you. The bugs range from small babies that try to swarm you, to large, well armored bugs that you need explosives or flanking attacks to deal with easily, as well as bugs that explode, spit acid, etc.

Once you get all the minerals required you can either keep exploring for more rewards, or call the drop ship back for extraction. Once the drop ship is called, your MULE will make a beeline for it, dropping markers as it goes so you can follow it. You then have 5 minutes to get back to the drop pod, while being followed by bugs, in order to escape.

So far each class feels very unique and plays quite differently, but each is capable in their own way. The engineer for instance gets 2 turrets he can put down, making him great for defending against swarms, as well as a platform gun that can mount platforms to walls that can be used to climb or get access to minerals. The gunner class gets a powerful minigun as well as remotely detonated satchel charges that make quick work of masses of enemies.

Overall I've been really impressed with it so far, and if any other OOer's pick it up, I'd love to try and organize some runs.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I played this one the other day and didn't like it at all. I was hoping for another Left 4 Dead or Vermintide 2, which are both fantastic games. Instead, this game has very lackluster combat and is mostly about hitting rocks with a pickaxe. It felt too much like work for me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Got this and played with a friend yesterday. Lots of fun. Some real "oh shit!" moments. Perfect atmosphere and pace for our weekly online bar replacement .
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Still loving this game and it just had a huge update.

McNutt wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:17 am I played this one the other day and didn't like it at all. I was hoping for another Left 4 Dead or Vermintide 2, which are both fantastic games. Instead, this game has very lackluster combat and is mostly about hitting rocks with a pickaxe. It felt too much like work for me.
As the game progresses and you do Hazard 5 or deep dives it gets crazy. But even then the mining is a great mechanic. The four classes are well balanced for both combat and resource gathering/utility. And and as you take advantage of the eerie quiet to do some mining, there's the constant threat of a swarm erupting. You can marvel at the unique biomes until a giant plant stabs you in the face.

The environments are absolutely amazing and the procedural map generation makes for some memorable missions. There are a ton of hidden/bonus objectives randomly placed.

We play 3 and 4 player coop and it is one of the best coop experiences I've had in my way-too-many years of gaming.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got this thing installed and waiting on my short list. It caught my attention as soon as I saw it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:13 pm Still loving this game and it just had a huge update.

McNutt wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:17 am I played this one the other day and didn't like it at all. I was hoping for another Left 4 Dead or Vermintide 2, which are both fantastic games. Instead, this game has very lackluster combat and is mostly about hitting rocks with a pickaxe. It felt too much like work for me.
As the game progresses and you do Hazard 5 or deep dives it gets crazy. But even then the mining is a great mechanic. The four classes are well balanced for both combat and resource gathering/utility. And and as you take advantage of the eerie quiet to do some mining, there's the constant threat of a swarm erupting. You can marvel at the unique biomes until a giant plant stabs you in the face.

The environments are absolutely amazing and the procedural map generation makes for some memorable missions. There are a ton of hidden/bonus objectives randomly placed.

We play 3 and 4 player coop and it is one of the best coop experiences I've had in my way-too-many years of gaming.
"ROCK... AND... STONE!"

(LawBeef's absolutely correct, that this game unquestionably provides one of the best -- and most highly amusing -- co-op experiences around).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

+1

I've started to get back into this since the update.

Also, it's worth a mention at how good the online community around this game is. Of all the games I've played with randoms, there was only 1 time I've had to put up with someone's bullshit.
Even better, most players will help you out, sometimes even going out of their way.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:36 pm I've got this thing installed and waiting on my short list. It caught my attention as soon as I saw it.
I suggested this game months ago to our group and nobody seemed the least bit interested.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:12 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:36 pm I've got this thing installed and waiting on my short list. It caught my attention as soon as I saw it.
I suggested this game months ago to our group and nobody seemed the least bit interested.
I do not recall the suggestion. But you know me - if I was thinking about a butterfly at that particular moment (or dealing with a guy trying to shoot me, or figuring something out...) I may have missed it entirely.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I even specifically mentioned that it was Space Dwarves, 4 player, different classes, etc.

Guess nobody listens to me. *kicks rocks*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*Ponders the list of games he's suggested that met with dead silence...*

I still think we never gave Vermintide 2 the attention it deserved!
Brian

Post by Brian »

I thought V2 was merely "OK" and enjoyed V1 by a much greater margin.
Not sure why, exactly, V2 never clicked for me but I was pretty meh on the whole thing.
Anonymous Bosch

FWIW, I think the following video review aptly sums up what makes Deep Rock Galactic so appealing:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:17 pm I thought V2 was merely "OK" and enjoyed V1 by a much greater margin.
Not sure why, exactly, V2 never clicked for me but I was pretty meh on the whole thing.
V2 has a lot more end-game than V1 did (the crafting, unlocking, etc), but we never really touched on it. We got to it, then quit. We do that with a lot of games - we play it the easiest possible way, and it ends up feeling lacking (GTA with cheat tanks, Conan with skipping dungeons until we overpower them, etc.) Still, I get being meh on games. I was that way with Wildlands about a third of the way through, and incredibly meh with Red Dead Online.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:01 pm
Brian wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:17 pm I thought V2 was merely "OK" and enjoyed V1 by a much greater margin.
V2 has a lot more end-game than V1 did (the crafting, unlocking, etc), but we never really touched on it. We got to it, then quit. We do that with a lot of games - we play it the easiest possible way, and it ends up feeling lacking (GTA with cheat tanks, Conan with skipping dungeons until we overpower them, etc.) Still, I get being meh on games. I was that way with Wildlands about a third of the way through, and incredibly meh with Red Dead Online.
I was always disappointed that we never really pushed the difficulty on V1. Right about the time it started getting interesting everyone moved off to a new game.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:21 pm I was always disappointed that we never really pushed the difficulty on V1. Right about the time it started getting interesting everyone moved off to a new game.
I'm the type that enjoys a cooperative game with a fairly high challenge level that requires coordination learned by failing a few times, with each person having unique functions that work together. But this group prefers a guaranteed win with everybody sort of playing their own way rather than together. They do not enjoy losing multiple times. That's not intended as a criticism - it's just the group's playstyle - but I do find it makes games get boring more quickly, as the next step in progression never happens.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We had a game last night, heartstone mission. We did a data core special before calling in the dropship. It went a bit haywire and the gunners (2xG, 1xScout, 1xDriller) were out of ammo, no nitra. But we finished and called in the dropship. Absolute swarm and terrible dropship placement. Scout died on the ramp that was hanging over an abyss, I revived him, one gunner screamed that the fell off the ramp and was dead. Scout went to revive him with 30 seconds on the clock but couldn't find him and grappled back with 10 seconds left. Turns out the gunner hadn't died, he just said, "I'm dead!" as he fell. Meaning he thought he was going to die but somehow survived the fall. He fired a zip line from somewhere down below and jumped through the hatch with 0 seconds on the clock and we all made it back to the rig alive. It as hilarious chaos watching from the top of the ramp. Me firing off the last of my pistol rounds and the other out-of-ammo gunner spamming the salute key next to me.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anybody tried this as a solo experience? It’s been on my wishlist for a while, but if it’s like LFD (very much geared to, and best as co-op), I need to re-think.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:59 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:21 pm I was always disappointed that we never really pushed the difficulty on V1. Right about the time it started getting interesting everyone moved off to a new game.
I'm the type that enjoys a cooperative game with a fairly high challenge level that requires coordination learned by failing a few times, with each person having unique functions that work together. But this group prefers a guaranteed win with everybody sort of playing their own way rather than together. They do not enjoy losing multiple times. That's not intended as a criticism - it's just the group's playstyle - but I do find it makes games get boring more quickly, as the next step in progression never happens.
That's a good analysis. I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm not extreme; I also like to win. :D But I definitely think we still had some room to grow and develop - and still win.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not extreme in that regard, either. I'm a late-to-the-party raider. But while I like to win, a zero-challenge win isn't really a win. It's filling out the paperwork, going through the steps, checking off the boxes. That's what burned me out on GTA online - we got vehicles that made missions zero-effort, and it wasn't really interesting anymore.
Anonymous Bosch

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:51 am Anybody tried this as a solo experience? It’s been on my wishlist for a while, but if it’s like LFD (very much geared to, and best as co-op), I need to re-think.
It is fun to play solo. It's more fun to play with a team (even randos, because the online community for Deep Rock Galactic tends to be remarkably friendly and cooperative), but it's certainly enjoyable and playable solo.

When playing solo, you're granted a helpful flying robot pal named Bosco, who mimics many of the abilities of your absent teammates. Meaning, it can fly up and drill any mineral seams you point out for it, raining down a shower of goodies for you to scoop up and deposit. Bosco mines quickly, too. It can also provide additional lighting, and obviously shoots foes, dealing similar damage to an Engineer’s turret. Most importantly, Bosco will revive you a limited number of times if/when you go down. How many times will depend on the relevant upgrades you unlock and select for Bosco.

If you prefer to focus upon playing solo, I'd suggest playing as a scout or a driller, for their increased mobility. A scout is great for playing solo, due to his top-notch maneuverability and capacity to complete missions with rapid speed via grappling hook. His longer-lasting flare gun can also be invaluable during solo play. With both of those equipped, the Scout should have no problem exploring a full map alone, and commanding Bosco to mine everything on his behalf.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Solo is great but as AB says, co-op is better.

I'd recommend using all classes in solo. The scout is good for something like morkite mining missions but for extermination? Any of the other 3 classes are better. Driller excels at liquid morkite. They're all capable but it's fun and rewarding to play all of them

MYT
Anonymous Bosch

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:36 pm Solo is great but as AB says, co-op is better.

I'd recommend using all classes in solo. The scout is good for something like morkite mining missions but for extermination? Any of the other 3 classes are better. Driller excels at liquid morkite. They're all capable but it's fun and rewarding to play all of them
Indeed, that's a valid point. To clarify, as a solo beginner I'd suggest starting out as scout or driller while carrying out the probationary assignments, but LawBeef is absolutely correct that it's fun and rewarding to play all four classes solo.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For those who still play (I do semi-regularly), they just launched a new season.

Also: