Surviving Mars - Start a Colony on Mars, from Haemimont Games/Paradox Interactive

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

naednek

Re: Surviving Mars - A Mars City Builder from Haemimont Games/Paradox Interactive

Post by naednek »

My first game (not easy start, but easy difficulty) didn't end up well as I am still learning how to play. Don't know when, but I basically suffocated all 3 of my domes as I couldn't get my drones to repair. So ya, that was fun
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Re: Surviving Mars - A Mars City Builder from Haemimont Games/Paradox Interactive

Post by LordMortis »

naednek wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm My first game (not easy start, but easy difficulty) didn't end up well as I am still learning how to play. Don't know when, but I basically suffocated all 3 of my domes as I couldn't get my drones to repair. So ya, that was fun
Yeah, even though I'm in a low difficulty area of the planet, I've been waging a never ending war of repairs against dust devils and allowing idiots in to my colony. next time I will grow slower and be more choosy about my applicants. I have a sanatorium but the sanatorium doesn't fix stupid.

It also took me a long time realize I could manually reassign drones. It's a PITA but it's doable.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My game was going great, right up until the water deposit I had built around went dry. The death spiral commenced soon afterward.

I wish there was a system to alert you when a deposit is running low -- just a pop-up alert to say "At the current usage rate, deposit X will run out of resources in 10 days." It's hard to remember to check that kind of thing, and the consequences can be fatal.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Water is a bad one to, for which I am paranoid, mainly because on the main screen when you are doing well, you surplus always reads 0. I go to my deposits and make sure I am always at x-1/x on the individual well draws, which has me doubling and now tripling wells at my two water deposits. I'm trying to grow toward another deposit but they are huge far away. I don't have the tech to build my own vaporators and I'm long since out of money. I fear the rate at which I am pulling an the dependency of triple drawing. I do however have six water tanks and that ought to last me a while if I dip in to the negatives, I hope. I tend to put one down around ever well area and one next to each dome in case something goes whacky.

... But I'm loving learning how to balance and avoid the criseseses even on my easy level.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

About 50 sols into my latest game and things are going well. Had 3 false starts that got up to sol 25 or so before I would restart to apply lessons learned, but my latest game seems pretty solid so far.

I have 3 basic domes that have me self sufficient in terms of advanced resources, and I'm currently filling a new medium dome that's going to be my research/mining mecca. I'm actually using the Blue Sun Corporation sponsor and they're pretty interesting. They start you with quite a bit of money, and the ability to buy 50 new applicants for $500 million, but their base research is only 200. Took me a bit to get my research up a bit to counter that, but the starting money paid off early on and the extra applicants are really paying off now that I have room to expand into.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
Has anyone had the meteors and fought them with lasers like in the videos Ive seen?
I almost didn't spoiler that then thought people may not have watched any videos on this game so didn't want to spoil a tech and random bad thing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

I only noticed last night when I zoomed out, was meteors falling on Mars! Doesn't seem to leave metal behind but then I unlocked a future tech of lasers to destroy meteors, i can see them being a problem when I've got more than 3 domes but right now not a problem (haven't been hit ...yet).

I do have a gripe, it says I have to have 40 techs researched by sol 100, I'm sol 40 now and have 45 but it doesn't realise this, I have had so many alien anomolies and normal anomolies that my new tech unlock has been going gang busters.

For quick money there's two techs that give you 500 mill and 200 mill each time you research them, might be useful if running out of money (SOCIAL stream).

Biggest problem so far is lack of non-losers on Earth, freakin dregs trying to stuff my mars with their laziness and other "problems". You would think with so many billions on earth I could find more than 12 non-losers a time.
naednek

Post by naednek »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:39 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 pm My first game (not easy start, but easy difficulty) didn't end up well as I am still learning how to play. Don't know when, but I basically suffocated all 3 of my domes as I couldn't get my drones to repair. So ya, that was fun
Yeah, even though I'm in a low difficulty area of the planet, I've been waging a never ending war of repairs against dust devils and allowing idiots in to my colony. next time I will grow slower and be more choosy about my applicants. I have a sanatorium but the sanatorium doesn't fix stupid.

It also took me a long time realize I could manually reassign drones. It's a PITA but it's doable.
YA i wish you can lasso and select groups. I mean, WTF it's a RTS game, that's basic 101
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 pm I do have a gripe, it says I have to have 40 techs researched by sol 100, I'm sol 40 now and have 45 but it doesn't realise this, I have had so many alien anomolies and normal anomolies that my new tech unlock has been going gang busters.
Yeah, I would hope they evaluate at sol 100 and give me a good score then. We'll see. I'm a ways off from 100 yet.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Paradox/Haimont will have a live stream Wednesday at 9:00 AM PDT.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those needing some help on getting into the game, Windows Central has posted Surviving Mars for Xbox and PC ultimate beginner's guide: Tips, tricks, and more. It's a step by step look at how to go from initial landing to having a decent colony. It's really quite good.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've decided to keep working on my big colony so I can unlock all the tech advancements. I was going to start a new colony but it would feel too much like "been there, done that".

One of the big helps, as I've mentioned above, are tunnels.

I set up a new dome near a couple of rare metal sites. Rather than running cable and pipes cross country, leaving them open to meteor strikes, leaks and blocking further builds, I instead made a tunnel which makes me think now that I'm going to replace some of my other long runs with tunnels too.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was curious how many breakthrough there are. I found a wiki. Spoilers there.

https://survivingmars.paradoxwikis.com/ ... _Mars_Wiki
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 pm I was curious how many breakthrough there are. I found a wiki. Spoilers there.

https://survivingmars.paradoxwikis.com/ ... _Mars_Wiki
I forgot about the wiki :doh:, I was getting the message research complete and not remembering what it did or where it was on the screen. The wiki should help.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tonight I finished the story line for the easiest mode. I'm down to a Wonder, a megadome, and 1000 pop before this round becomes a sandbox and I figure out if I want play sandboxey or reset to the next storyline, etc...

Not sure if I'll get my $40 out of it yet. But I'm at about a week's entertainment, so no matter what it wasn't a total rip off.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've got 41 hours in on my first colony. I've hit a 1000 colonists, build a Wonder and now I'm completing two more. I decided I'd go ahead and keep at this colony till I unlocked all the Research. And I thought it would be easy till I had The Great Concrete Crisis of Sol 166. I had gotten so blasé about concrete since I had so much of it that I neglected to keep opening up new sources, and then I started several building projects at once. It was rather embarrassing to the colony that I had to fly in concrete from Earth :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh, and I really wish there was a better system of managing my transports. They are never where I need them to be and when I set up a route for them I don't know when for some reason they've stopped. I especially wish I could order them to pick up a load and then drop it someplace without having to create a route.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In real life, it takes 6 months (about 150 sols) to travel to/from Mars, and that optimum window only opens every two years. I gather that this game treats it more like a short hop to the moon, taking only a few days/sols. Do they fictionalize that, or just ignore it? Because that would bother me.
Montag

Post by Montag »

A sol is more like a year. Gives day night cycle and appreciable time. All games have an abstract layer in some way.
words
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Montag wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:38 am A sol is more like a year. Gives day night cycle and appreciable time. All games have an abstract layer in some way.
That's how I treat it. Otherwise nothing would make sense.

To JZ I also don't like mircomanaging transports. I could really benefit from managin, as I almost spun into a metallic death cycle (and prayed a shuttle that I couldn't afford to fully fill with metal would arrive. It did) and I still am short on metals to the point I'm debarring sending rare metals back to earth to send more metals as expanding to another metal site with another dome would be suicide right now. I just can't stand hunting for surface metals and then remembering to keep checking and keep charging. It's just PITA, especially when drones within radio reach with a depot will mine surface materials automatically.

Many many lessons have been learned for round 2. I think the biggest one is that I overextended in the pursuit of research and the second is that I need to figure out a better way to power my colony. I currently have three huge wind farms that not only require ridiculous amounts of maintenance but they also seem to be magnets for dust cyclones even on an aggregate difficulty setting of of 35%

I don't get to play tonight. I have to go out. Makes me kinda sad.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My rovers ignore tunnels. What do you think I may be doing wrong?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:01 am My rovers ignore tunnels. What do you think I may be doing wrong?
Pathing, in general is pretty shitty, IMO. My rovers only utilize tunnels if they are in the vicinity and their exit paths well as well. Other wise direct them to the tunnel first. I also occasionally find them just driving to the edges of cliffs and stetting there or slowly bouncing off ledges utntil they find a way around them.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Up to Sol 90, but to keep going I'm going to have to endure 2 full days of meteor impacts, centered on my main building area. :| Should be survivable, but I hate to think how many resources I'm going to waste fixing things, and I really hope I don't take too many direct hits on my domes.

On the whole though, I really like the game. It's very slow paced, and you really have to be looking ahead for possible disasters and shortages as it takes a bit to correct, but it's really enjoyable to see your colony grow from a collection of infrastructure and drones, to a huge, multi-dome colony with hundreds of citizens.

A few random observations from my play time:
  • I was really frustrated trying to manage resources and my drones until I figured out a few key things:
    - Drones will automatically try to keep resources balanced between universal stockpiles. If you have slightly overlapping drone control areas with a universal stockpile in the middle, your drones will be able to swiftly spread resources around the colony. If you're low on a resource though it can take a while.
    - Once you research shuttles, they are amazing at balancing resources. They will help your drones balance resources in universal stockpiles all over the map, so once you get shuttles, all you need to grow buildings unconnected to your main colony is a RC Rover and a universal stockpile. Your shuttles will automatically keep the stockpile filled with the resources the drones need to build.
    - To reallocate drones between hubs initially you need to select the drone and right click on the new hub to reassign it, but after you get the tech to build drones, you can just click the button on the hub to re-package a drone into the basic parts, and then those parts can be immediately used to build "new" drones at another hub. Would be nice if there was an option somewhere to have your hubs automatically reassign drones from slow hubs to busier ones, but it at least makes moving drones around a lot easier.
  • I had initially read pipe leaks and short circuits were caused by long, contiguous sections of pipe and cabling, but that does not appear to be the case. I initially built separate power networks for each of my domes, but was still getting a lot of maintenance events on very short networks. Later I patched all my main domes networks together and saw zero increase in leaks and short circuits. So no real penalty to having large, combined power/water/oxygen networks that I can see.
  • Until you get shuttles, try to keep your domes close together, as things can get frustrating if one of your domes is too far away from any of your other domes for people to move between them. And they won't stop in other domes along the way, they will only look at the distance from their current dome to the dome they want to move to to see if it's close enough.
  • Once you research and build a farm, note that it starts with 50% soil quality. You can grow soybeans 5 times to get it to 100%, or if you've researched utility crops 1 rotation of cover crops and 1 of soybeans will be enough, and farms with 100% soil will grow much more than ones with less.
  • No need to go too overboard with farms. 6 farms seem to be enough to feed almost 500 colonists without much trouble, so even 1 dedicated medium dome will probably be enough food for most of the game.
  • To keep people happy in domes: a diner, a park or two, and an art shop seem to be plenty to keep their comfort up. Watch building art and electronic shops until you're building those resources yourself, but they keep people very happy.
  • Note there are a number of technologies that require you to upgrade the individual buildings after you research the tech. I think I went through 20 Sols before I noticed I needed to upgrade my wind turbines with the polymer blade upgrade. The button for this is in the top right of the building card.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche, those are some good observations. I'm 44 hours in and didn't notice that you can disassemble drones :roll:

I posted to the Paradox SM modding forum a couple of days ago asking if someone could create an info bar that would sit on the screen and be visible all the time with info on resources and hey, someone made it! Info Bar. I tested it and it works. And if you mouse over it in the different sections you get further information. The only downside to mousing over is that it is so close to the top of the screen you'll get map scrolling if you overshoot.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Speaking of mods, these are the ones I'm currently using: Mars Radio One, Info Bar and Show Research Progress on HUD. In the screenshots below you'll see the latter mod in action, at the bottom left there's a progress bar next to the beaker symbol; it displays current progress on research as a yellow bar, or red if no research is in progress.

And there's a look at the parade of drones carrying resources to the Space Elevator build site:

I might be overproducing fuel:

Just a few of my domes:

You might notice a couple of the domes are under construction with an "X" overhead. I figured out that for planning purposes it helps to place a dome and then halt all work on it so it doesn't distract from something else you are doing, but holds the ground space so you don't build there.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And when you have a population of 1265, you're going to have a lot of children. Here's the nursery complex at one dome and yup, all of them are full:

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 pm And when you have a population of 1265, you're going to have a lot of children. Here's the nursery complex at one dome and yup, all of them are full:

Enlarge Image
Wow, is that your only child complex? I've got that much spread over 2 domes that is completely full and I've only got a population of ~500. I've been contemplating setting up at least a basic dome that is nothing but nurseries, playgrounds and schools to provide for the future (and a handful of adults for the buildings that need it).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 pm And when you have a population of 1265, you're going to have a lot of children. Here's the nursery complex at one dome and yup, all of them are full:

Enlarge Image
Wow, is that your only child complex? I've got that much spread over 2 domes that is completely full and I've only got a population of ~500. I've been contemplating setting up at least a basic dome that is nothing but nurseries, playgrounds and schools to provide for the future (and a handful of adults for the buildings that need it).
No, I have several, although this is the biggest. I'm seriously considering going with Biorobots which eat and have traits, but don't reproduce and don't die.

By the way, I learned something interesting about the category Breakthroughs in research from the wiki. I'm putting it in spoiler tags for those who might not want to know. It is not about any particular Breakthrough, by the way
Spoiler:
There are 55 different techs to research, only 19 of which are available in any one game. Additional Breakthrough techs for Mysteries and mods may add to that total.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Do mods disable achievements?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:05 pm Do mods disable achievements?
The answer appears to be "no", but I haven't tested that personally.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Grabbed from a Facebook post, in turn from a Twitch stream. I'm guessing that the "Passages" item might be related to connecting domes, something I haven't felt was needed in my game but seems to be a popular request on the forums.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm Grabbed from a Facebook post, in turn from a Twitch stream. I'm guessing that the "Passages" item might be related to connecting domes, something I haven't felt was needed in my game but seems to be a popular request on the forums.
Yeah, sounds like they are listening to feedback at least. There are definitely some cool directions they or modders could go with the game... how long until we can play Surviving Titan for instance?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I watched the stream. They were surprised at the reception as the game is getting "Mixed" reviews on Steam and that is not what was expected, thus the stream to explain where they were going. Yes the Passages is for passages between the domes and will be ready sometime in spring and will be free. I think nearly everything on that screen will be done by spring in fact, they seemed very committed to fixing things.

As an aside, here is where Steam separating the recent reviews from the overall reviews. Assuming they fix everything they are committed to, the recent reviews will go up and someone coming along later will get a good picture of where the game is.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

In case it comes up for anyone else... apparently it decides where meteors will strike when the event happens, not when it warns you to expect a disaster, so save scumming works. :oops:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Stefan Stirzaker

Good to hear connecting dones is coming. Its my biggest gripe so far in that they wont go 5m over to dome 2 fir a drink at a bar
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I should mention that I'm listening to the Free Earth Channel on the radio. Closest thing I find to 60's beach music which is fine with me :D
Stefan Stirzaker

I like changing channels on the radio. Can you use Mods with the GoG version of surviving mars? I tried in game but couldn't seem to add any. Hints appreciated.

Sol 42. First landing was on plateau and then had to build a tunnel to get to lowlands. Second base is north of plateau and next base will be out west with rare metals. Two hives of shuttles running delivering stuff, nearly self sufficient with polymers and computers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Interesting that you chose to separate your domes. I assume you started with the shuttle?

Can you build multiple spires in medium or large domes? I haven't built either yet.... Maybe tonight...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Completed my 100 Sol evaluation last night by exporting ~500/100 rare minerals back to earth. I have quite a ways to go before I'll be able to research everything though, so I'm planning on putting down some heavy duty, dedicated research domes. I'm researching mega domes now, the only question is to wait for that research to come in, or to go ahead and put down a medium dome for my new research mecca.

My biggest concern now though is keeping water flowing to all my domes. My combined water usage now is somewhere around 25, with only 4 of that coming from vaporizers, and about 12 of the remaining water coming from a single well that's rapidly emptying out. I do have some more remote water deposits I can access that should keep me going for a while, and there's a large, deep water deposit near one of my old wells I can tap once I get the tech to harvest deep water, but I'd like to start switching over to nothing but vaporizers, and that's going to be a slow, expensive process, especially since I don't have the tech for it yet and will need to import prefabs. On top of that, my fuel production is starting to fail to keep up with the demand of my polymer factories and refueling rockets, so I could really use 3 or 4 more water to expand my fuel production, but that's only going to make my water issues worse, faster.

I'm also to the point now where I'm not even relying on Earth for new citizens anymore. My colonists are churning out kids almost faster than I can put up new domes to house them.